ADVERTISEMENT

Collin Chandler

I don't know anything about the guy. I didn't see him on this years recruiting board. Did he play at BYU or somewhere else or is a transfer?

I don't know anything about the guy. I didn't see him on this years recruiting board. Did he play at BYU or somewhere else or is a transfer?
2022 recruit went on a two year mission out of high school, so he hasn’t played yet. This year will be his first year playing college. He is number 30 in the 2022 rsci rankings.

247 had Chandler a 6-4 170 four star. He will be a 21 year old this year. Has a great first step burst and finishes athletically at or above the rim. Loves going to the basket. A really good consistent three point shooter also. Said he would thrive in a fast up tempo offense with the way he plays.

Sounds like a great player. Will have more maturity now also. They commented when he got back from his mission he would probably be ready to play right off.

Reactions: EliteBlue
He should be the only BYU type player we take. The rest aren't SEC worthy. Not sure this guy is either.
If Padgett is an asst hopefully he will get Mark up to speed...fast..... on the type player needed to win in SEC.

He should be the only BYU type player we take. The rest aren't SEC worthy. Not sure this guy is either.
If Padgett is an asst hopefully he will get Mark up to speed...fast..... on the type player needed to win in SEC.
Jaxson from BYU is another. That should be it though.

Coach may have no choice but to bring everyone he can from BYU with him. He is going to need bodies and it’s going to be hard to fill a roster just from the portal, even with NIL money to throw around.

Some of you guys are still really stuck in a Cal mindset and you need to get out of that. You don't need to bring in nothing but top 25 rated 5 star prospects to win these days. In fact, bringing in lots of those kind of kids is detrimental to winning, as we've seen all too often first hand. They already have one foot out the door the day they step on campus and they don't come close to realizing their potential as freshmen. Veteran teams led by top 50 and top 100 type recruits are the teams that have been winning championships lately. A top 50 or top 100 player who is in his junior or senior year, has tons of experience and has been properly developed is simply on another level than a top 25 true freshman. They lack the experience, the development, the maturity and the proper mindset. That is why teams dependent on these kind of kids get sent home the first weekend of the tournament. That is exactly the kind of recruiting we need to get away from.

Collin Chandler is PRECISELY the kind of kid we need to be recruiting. He fits the system and he doesn't come into the program with a one and done expectation. Jaxson Robinson is also most definitely capable of playing major minutes here. And there are 2 or 3 other BYU players who are capable of being role players on this team, such as Dallin Hall, Aly Kahlifa, Noah Waterman and Trevin Knell. Bring these guys aboard, retain Perry in this class, hope we keep Sheppard and Ivisic, pull Theiro back out of the portal and try to secure guys like Robbie Avila, Cade Tyson, Rylan Griffen, Jalen Blackmon and Jamal Mashburn Jr. from the portal. Then let's roll!

Man, Cal has poisoned the fan base thinking we need top 25 recruits to win championships. That model doesn't work anymore. You need grown @$$ men with a mixture of talented young guys to win a college title now. One and done, is quite frankly, done for if those are the only guys you get. Look at the past 2 UCONN title teams. Or take a look at Jay Wrights Nova teams that won the title. Hell, even Tony Bennets Virginia squad. You want 1-2 elite freshman/sophomores mixed with some junior/senior studs.

I believe all Mormons do the two year missionary assignment.
Did Jabari Parker? Notice he went to Duke and then went to the NBA because money outweighs religion. I wouldn’t expect that of someone that did a mission and was committed to BYU.

Pope’s first job is to get Collin Chandler to UK immediately. The kid was on a mission trip this past season but can ball. I would LOVE to see him and Reed out there together. 🤞🏼
Missions are two years for the guys and I'm pretty sure Collins mission.is over sometime in July. He, Reed and Perry would sure fit in with the offense THE POPE likes to run.

Reactions: blubo and dl51344
Yes and no. Elite Mormon players still go to elite schools more often and than BYU. Jabari Parker and Frank Jackson went to Duke. Pope at UK. Mark Madsen at Stanford. There aren’t many elite Mormons to reference tho.
Thus may change now that they are in the B12. The Marriott center is a beautiful facility.

Reactions: gossie21
You guys remember Brett Bearup? He was LDS. As was Aaron Boone that played fb. Way back in the day the great Vern Hatton was.

How do you know what he’s been doing?
Might’ve been running 20 miles per day.
Because I went on a 2 year mission too. I know what the rules allow for and it isn’t conducive to maintaining elite athleticism. Now when he gets back he will be able to train and it’ll come back. But not right away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT