ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel

All but one ratings service had UK out, not even last four in. I had no expectations we would get in. I think the optimism we all felt was due to a great run in the SEC tournament. We’ll all be complaining for another year evidently. Like I’ve said, I like Mingione personally but he’s just not getting it done.
That great run was 3-2. It’s just because they got superb pitching in the last week from 4 guys.

Baseball @ Uk sucks from a terrible Head man to a brand new stadium with no character at all
Watching Auburn now and how cool there stadium looks

Baseball @ Uk sucks from a terrible Head man to a brand new stadium with no character at all
Watching Auburn now and how cool there stadium looks

Even outside the stadium... their crowd watches from the parking garage. That's kind of corny, but it's a quirk of the stadium that makes it fairly unique.

Belanger has a pretty good track record over his career. I suspect he'll land another Power-5 job. If not, I'm sure Roland Fanning at Austin Peay would love to have him.

Reactions: SeanCain
Shame we missed out on Bakich. I'm very high on him. Doubtful he would have come here, but wish Mitch had thrown the bank at him. We have more money than clemson.

Reactions: Jeff12wb
I’ve said it many times but Mitch is the best AD we’ve had in my lifetime. That’s not really a big compliment as almost all have been basketball only guys and horrible AD’s. Mitch is doing a Cliff Hagan job with the baseball team.

Reactions: backinky2018
UK administration will have to show much more commitment to the baseball program to get a high caliber coach. These coaches aren’t fools, they know exactly what goes on at UK. Mitch is going to have to prove a solid commitment to winning and keeping Mingione doesn’t signal that.

UK administration will have to show much more commitment to the baseball program to get a high caliber coach. These coaches aren’t fools, they know exactly what goes on at UK. Mitch is going to have to prove a solid commitment to winning and keeping Mingione doesn’t signal that.
The only coach in school history who has won a higher percentage of his games is John Cohen.

The off-field ledger is pristine. There's no debating whether more needs to be invested behind the scenes (travel, recruiting budget, campus buy-in) but given the palette they have to paint with, the coaching staff has done well on the whole. It's not their fault the committee's goal posts keep moving on what's most important on a resume. That said, you can't leave that in someone else's hands either. That's on them.

You may be right but there is another way of looking the situation that may also be correct. Coaches in other sports have commented on how they like that Mitch sticks with a coach and gives them time to succeed and build a program. I think it's just as likely that potential future coaches look at this as a positive because they know Mitch will stick by them and give them time to build a program if they were to come here. Now whether or not some of them believe they can win here, that's another story.

The only coach in school history who has won a higher percentage of his games is John Cohen.

The off-field ledger is pristine. There's no debating whether more needs to be invested behind the scenes (travel, recruiting budget, campus buy-in) but given the palette they have to paint with, the coaching staff has done well on the whole. It's not their fault the committee's goal posts keep moving on what's most important on a resume. That said, you can't leave that in someone else's hands either. That's on them.

If 2020 played out that win percentage would likely be much lower. Even still, that is more of a testament to how poor UKs baseball history is than it is a sign of Mingione being accomplished.

Don't finish 12th in the league.

You may be right but there is another way of looking the situation that may also be correct. Coaches in other sports have commented on how they like that Mitch sticks with a coach and gives them time to succeed and build a program. I think it's just as likely that potential future coaches look at this as a positive because they know Mitch will stick by them and give them time to build a program if they were to come here. Now whether or not some of them believe they can win here, that's another story.

It's been 6 years. He got an extension for finishing 12th in the conference and he'll get at least 7 total with basically one good year to show for it. I'm fine with not having a quick trigger, but in baseball 6 is more than enough to prove your salt.

I'll also say that I don't think it is overly difficult to have a great off the field record in baseball.

It's been 6 years. He got an extension for finishing 12th in the conference and he'll get at least 7 total with basically one good year to show for it. I'm fine with not having a quick trigger, but in baseball 6 is more than enough to prove your salt.
I'm not arguing whether or not he should be fired or whether he has been given enough time. I'm simply pointing out that the perception of giving him more time among other coaches who we might pursue someday could be seen as a positive and not a lack of support. It could be seen as the administration giving the coach more support, not less.

I think folks have their minds made up on how they feel. There are real reasons for criticism and I don't blame anyone for not being happy with the overall results. Kentucky should strive to do better than being a tournament team once every few years.

I haven't reached the point where I think it's a lost cause. I think some have, and I'm not here to change anyone's mind because a lot of viewpoints are legitimate. I'm eager to see what the roster looks like once classes start. Still a long way to go with building this roster.

I think folks have their minds made up on how they feel. There are real reasons for criticism and I don't blame anyone for not being happy with the overall results. Kentucky should strive to do better than being a tournament team once every few years.

I haven't reached the point where I think it's a lost cause. I think some have, and I'm not here to change anyone's mind because a lot of viewpoints are legitimate. I'm eager to see what the roster looks like once classes start. Still a long way to go with building this roster.
Derek most of us on the baseball forum have known the program is not going in the right direction for a couple years now. I’m not going to rehash it but Mingione has had ample time. His best two years were his first two and those teams were inherited players.

I think most folks have zero reason to be excited, if thats the right word, for the future of Kentucky baseball. Mingione has done nothing to build any optimism with the future of this program. Im all for giving coaches time to figure things out, i.e Stoops, but 1 NCAA appearance in 6 years. With mainly players he had no hand in getting here. Yeah, Im done with Mingione.

If I saw the end of the yr and I saw young guys playing I would say hey we are headed in the right direction. But that is not the case. We are headed back to a rebuild with transfers and another season of mediocrity at best in my opinion.

D1 has been basically outright saying this since FSU fired their head coach. Clearly an amazing hire for FSU. He got ND going quickly. Other coaches ND has had:

Pat Murphy - 1988-1994, took ND to numerous regionals and then went to Az State and went to the CWS numerous times

Paul Mainieri - 1995-2006, took them to the CWS and then went to LSU and went the CWS 5 times and won a title.

Fun fact... UK gave Paul Mainieri his last loss as ND head coach in the Lexington regional in 2006

D1 has been basically outright saying this since FSU fired their head coach. Clearly an amazing hire for FSU. He got ND going quickly. Other coaches ND has had:

Pat Murphy - 1988-1994, took ND to numerous regionals and then went to Az State and went to the CWS numerous times

Paul Mainieri - 1995-2006, took them to the CWS and then went to LSU and went the CWS 5 times and won a title.

Fun fact... UK gave Paul Mainieri his last loss as ND head coach in the Lexington regional in 2006
UK actually didn’t play ND in that regional. It went Ohio, NCSU, IU, NCSU, NCSU.

UK actually didn’t play ND in that regional. It went Ohio, NCSU, IU, NCSU, NCSU.

You are thinking of the 2017 regional.

In 2006 UK played Notre Dame in the loser's bracket of the Lexington Regional after UK dropped game 1 to Ball State. UK defeated Notre Dame 10-4. That game was the last Paul Mainieri coached as the head man for Notre Dame.

UK then went on to avenge their loss to Ball State by a margin of 12-9 before falling to College of Charleston in the regional finals 7-4.

You are thinking of the 2017 regional.

In 2006 UK played Notre Dame in the loser's bracket of the Lexington Regional after UK dropped game 1 to Ball State. UK defeated Notre Dame 10-4. That game was the last Paul Mainieri coached as the head man for Notre Dame.

UK then went on to avenge their loss to Ball State by a margin of 12-9 before falling to College of Charleston in the regional finals 7-4.
Correct. I had Jeff Smardzjia pitching on the brain and got It twisted

Correct. I had Jeff Smardzjia pitching on the brain and got It twisted

The Shark pitched in the first game of that series, a 16 inning affair.

This, at the time, was tied for the 2nd longest game in NCAA history. I think UK overtook that spot in 2012 when Kentucky and Kent State went 21 innings. Texas and Boston College hold the top spot with 25 innings.

I believe seeing the success that UofL and UT is having makes the UK fan base even more less accepting of mediocrity. We want to see UK compete yearly and that just hasn’t been the case under Mingione.

ADVERTISEMENT