ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel

You cannot overlook a body of work due to a two week long streak. You just can’t. The Cats squeaked in the SEC tournament as a 12 seed. They played below average baseball most of the season. Their recruiting is awful. They will essentially be starting over again next year due to this years roster being built on grad transfers and portal guys. If administration at UK are happy with being perennial cellar dwellers then Mingione should be not only kept another year but extend his contract.

You cannot overlook a body of work due to a two week long streak. You just can’t. The Cats squeaked in the SEC tournament as a 12 seed. They played below average baseball most of the season. Their recruiting is awful. They will essentially be starting over again next year due to this years roster being built on grad transfers and portal guys. If administration at UK are happy with being perennial cellar dwellers then Mingione should be not only kept another year but extend his contract.
He did the same thing with Elzy, she had a terrible season but a good run in the SEC tournament, then a flameout in the NCAA tournament. That was with the #1 draft pick too! But, she still got an extension.

I’m convinced Mitch despises coaching searches as both Elzy and Ming would be gone at any other SEC program.

Reactions: UKRob 73
He did the same thing with Elzy, she had a terrible season but a good run in the SEC tournament, then a flameout in the NCAA tournament. That was with the #1 draft pick too! But, she still got an extension.

I’m convinced Mitch despises coaching searches as both Elzy and Ming would be gone at any other SEC program.
Elzy is a little different in my opinion. She’s only been at UK in a head coaching capacity for a very short amount of time. Mingione on the other hand was handed a stacked team several years ago. He did nothing with it and I don’t think ANYONE can argue it’s been downhill from there. So if Barnhart gives a damn about Baseball he will fire Mingione.

Elzy is a little different in my opinion. She’s only been at UK in a head coaching capacity for a very short amount of time. Mingione on the other hand was handed a stacked team several years ago. He did nothing with it and I don’t think ANYONE can argue it’s been downhill from there. So if Barnhart gives a damn about Baseball he will fire Mingione.
Mitch has done an overhaul really good job with the athletic department as a whole. I’ll even say he’s the best AD UK has had in my lifetime. I’ll also say that’s a little misleading as the AD’s prior to Mitch have all been basketball only guys. There’s a reason UK has only been good, traditionally, in one sport. We all know Mingione is coming back next year. You’re absolutely right if UK cares about baseball Mingione won’t be back. I’m not totally convinced UK is all in on baseball but we’ll see. Either way, both of your recent posts are excellent and right on the money.

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
1000%.

I think most of you are right as multiple competing ideas can be true:

-Ming has underachieved and has done a terrible job building a program (too much attrition, no development, etc)
-Ming has done a good job keeping the team together during hte latter third of the season and orchestrated a great SECT run.
-Ming is not getting fired.

He'll be back next year. Should be NCAA tourney or bust, IMO.

No tournament for UK once again.
All but one ratings service had UK out, not even last four in. I had no expectations we would get in. I think the optimism we all felt was due to a great run in the SEC tournament. We’ll all be complaining for another year evidently. Like I’ve said, I like Mingione personally but he’s just not getting it done.

Reactions: KYExtemper
We’re going to find out how serious Mitch is about the baseball program in the coming weeks. I’m doubtful any changes are made.

Reactions: SeanCain
We’re going to find out how serious Mitch is about the baseball program in the coming weeks. I’m doubtful any changes are made.
I wonder if Mitch will make any statement at all.

Sure would like to know something.

Mitch never had any intention of firing Mingione this year. I would bet the farm that it would take a lot for Mingione to get fired at this point.

Indiana has a tremendous baseball program
Louisville has a tremendous baseball program
And now Tennessee at the very least has a tremendous baseball team. Not much history to speak of but they are clearly light years ahead of us overall sadly.

The SEC doesn't mess around. Ole Miss fans want Bianco gone if he doesn't make the CWS this year. And here we are hemming and having over this nonsense.

Look, 6 years is more than enough time to show meaningful results. The SECT run we just had was a hell of a lot of fun. It just lit more of a fire under my ass to get consistent winning baseball here.

And for the love of Pete, someone in the damn athletics office get a damn clue and put the different baseball jerseys on sale already. Take my money already. Sheesh

The cellar dwellers reflect in their coaches salaries as well.

I don't think that is a lack of investment as much as it is that the cellar dwellers put their money into up and coming type coaches and they haven't delivered, so they haven't gotten the raises. Several of the top coaches were paid a lot less initially, but they earned more and more as they had success.

I don't think that is a lack of investment as much as it is that the cellar dwellers put their money into up and coming type coaches and they haven't delivered, so they haven't gotten the raises. Several of the top coaches were paid a lot less initially, but they earned more and more as they had success.
I agree for the most part but, UK is making it pretty clear a winning baseball program is not a priority.

Reactions: Old_Red
I agree for the most part but, UK is making it pretty clear a winning baseball program is not a priority.

Ehh, I still think is is a priority. I just think that the administration is more willing to buy into the excuses than we fans are. The excuses and the little SEC tournament run we had are enough to give someone red meat to play the, 'what if,' game. Mitch is willing to do that. So, I think winning and winning baseball are a priority, but he is more patient than we are.

Ehh, I still think is is a priority. I just think that the administration is more willing to buy into the excuses than we fans are. The excuses and the little SEC tournament run we had are enough to give someone red meat to play the, 'what if,' game. Mitch is willing to do that. So, I think winning and winning baseball are a priority, but he is more patient than we are.

Now, I rarely disagree with you on baseball topics but I think being patient is a bad excuse to retain a coach after 6 years with one postseason appearance with a team he didn’t build. And 2023 doesn’t look, at least to this point, any better. So why continue to slowly pull the bandaid off? All you’re doing at this point is putting Kentucky further and further behind.

Now, I rarely disagree with you on baseball topics but I think being patient is a bad excuse to retain a coach after 6 years with one postseason appearance with a team he didn’t build. And 2023 doesn’t look, at least to this point, any better. So why continue to slowly pull the bandaid off? All you’re doing at this point is putting Kentucky further and further behind.
100%

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I think he should be gone. I wanted Mingione gone at least a year ago. He should be gone now.

What I just meant by my statement was that I don't think Barnhart retaining him is a sign that Barnhart doesn't care about baseball. I think he does care. I just think he's able to buy into the excuses. I don't think his inaction in firing Mingione comes from some apathy towards the program. I think he believes that Mingione can right the ship. We just disagree with him, and hopefully some of the fans with bigger wallets who side with us (if they exist) will make Barnhart see the light sooner rather than later.

This is the take most of us baseball fans have. We just keep delaying the inevitable which is frustrating. It’s obvious after six season mingione isn’t going to take this program to a new level. Give someone else a shot.

This is the take most of us baseball fans have. We just keep delaying the inevitable which is frustrating. It’s obvious after six season mingione isn’t going to take this program to a new level. Give someone else a shot.
Agree

The SEC is not going to get easier with Texas and Oklahoma coming soon.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Comebak disagrees with me on this but I’m still not convinced UK wants to compete in baseball.
We’ll find out soon enough. If Mingione is back then I’ll be fully convinced that we’re content remaining in the bottom third of the conference.

Comebak disagrees with me on this but I’m still not convinced UK wants to compete in baseball.
I agree. It's always been that way. I don't understand it. Look at Arkansas, Ole Miss, State. LSU, A&M. They all pack out their stadiums. We would too easily if we had a winning product. Look no further than how Tennessee'a fan base has responded. They just announced sweeping renovations and upgrades to Lindsey Nelson as well.

ADVERTISEMENT