ADVERTISEMENT

Coach is here for the haters (March-April Thoughts)

Actually I rarely post in these threads much. I've been around a while, I know how to pick out good information vs. a run down of rafters over 2 months.

He's probably a coach somewhere but he doesn't know half of what he's guessing about. He's been wrong a lot, rarely have I seen him make good predictions. Yes I gave him a shot, but it's too easy to do what he does. Just read Rafters for 2 months and pretend you know things based off it. Most of his statements are designed around our threads, nothing new comes from him.

" I wouldn't bet on Jefferies in a UK uniform":rolleyes:

You want to believe what he's saying go ahead, but don't come at me when I'm just going off of past history. And just because you want to hope he's right and feel warm doesn't mean I cant post that I don't believe he knows anything.

And FTR I've got no idea what you mean by the other statement.
The info itself is general. I just see it as a distraction for the board.

I just get a kick out of watching the reaction to it. It has become predictable. I saw a thread started by coach and opened it wondering how many posts down yours would be.[laughing] I’ve always been observant of patterns in folks behavior.

Not saying anything about your motive. Not my place. Just a curious observation.

Actually I rarely post in these threads much. I've been around a while, I know how to pick out good information vs. a run down of rafters over 2 months.

He's probably a coach somewhere but he doesn't know half of what he's guessing about. He's been wrong a lot, rarely have I seen him make good predictions. Yes I gave him a shot, but it's too easy to do what he does. Just read Rafters for 2 months and pretend you know things based off it. Most of his statements are designed around our threads, nothing new comes from him.

You want to believe what he's saying go ahead, but don't come at me when I'm just going off of past history. And just because you want to hope he's right and feel warm doesn't mean I cant post that I don't believe he knows anything.

The guy is just sharing information and offering a best guess at times. At no time has he claimed to be a prophet.

Predicting the conclusion of a teenaged mind is a tricky business. If you know anything, you should know that.

The info itself is general. I just see it as a distraction for the board.

I just get a kick out of watching the reaction to it. It has become predictable. I saw a thread started by coach and opened it wondering how many posts down yours would be.[laughing] I’ve always been observant of patterns in folks behavior.

Not saying anything about your motive. Not my place. Just a curious observation.

Well, train up on those patterns you seek. I think this is only the second time I've even responded in his threads. And the first time I barely said anything much at all. At this point, I just find it laughable how many people believe it simply because they want to.

Reactions: UK-chulo

I don’t think he knows much, but it’s harmless. But he definitely seems to enjoy being an “insider.”

As opposed to Ralphdaltonfan, who provides better info (imo), but bristles at being called an insider.

The guy is just sharing information and offering a best guess at times. At no time has he claimed to be a prophet.

Predicting the conclusion of a teenaged mind is a tricky business. If you know anything, you should know that.

Again, I have been around long enough to know when the info is good. He doesn't fit.

Not saying he's a bad guy or is straight up lying, just saying his post are typical now and have no information.

Well, train up on those patterns you seek. I think this is only the second time I've even responded in his threads. And the first time I barely said anything much at all. At this point, I just find it laughable how many people believe it simply because they want to.
For sure there didn’t seem to be any revelations in there. But folks get excited talking about something positive regarding the team.

Reactions: morgousky
I don’t think he knows much, but it’s harmless. But he definitely seems to enjoy being an “insider.”

As opposed to Ralphdaltonfan, who provides better info (imo), but bristles at being called an insider.

Posted this exact same message a little further down than you had read.

Not necessarily.

He might be a coach and a nice guy, but that doesn't mean you are connected to what goes on at UK. It doesn't mean you get good info from the AAU scene.

I think he reads the board and forms an opinion based off of our threads and tidbits he might hear somewhere. They align too closely together to be a coincidence. I'm sure he believes these things, and likes the attention (normal), and probably doesn't mean any harm by it.

But if you've followed him close enough since posting, it's the same thing every time, and he's wrong most of the time. Can someone give me one thing he's expressed that wasn't on this board? Something new that we don't know? Anything? I'm open to believing him and would love to have a connection around here that is legitimate, but I wont just go with it because it feels good.

We've all known guys who are well connected and know what goes on. They aren't questioned because the info is too good. He doesn't fit that mold.

Reactions: Aike
Again, I have been around long enough to know when the info is good. He doesn't fit.

Not saying he's a bad guy or is straight up lying, just saying his post are typical now and have no information.

So of his facts, which have been wrong? Of his guesses, which have been clearly misguided. Refute the guy point by point or leave him alone. From what I can tell the guy is at least average as far as the board goes.

Reactions: UK_fanatic
I don’t understand the harassing of people who share info, whether it’s fake or legit. All that does is make people with legit info less likely to post it.

Also, find one single post on this board before today that mentions Excel thinking they have Shai or Knox refusing to talk to Excel and other agencies.

Regardless I appreciate the info Coach whether it’s good or bad.

Long story short...

I've always respected UK and Coach Cal, by a mutual connection I was asked to start posting to sharing some info on some guy that UK was either in or people wanted UK to notice more.

I was told this was the best board to share on because it was the largest.

I always share that I know way more about people from the northeast than I do from anywhere else.

People asked me to come back and I do occasionally. I was honestly shocked how many people responded to my initial posts.

From then, it's been a little stress relief to post some basketball thoughts without having my name or career attached to it.

I don't want a following or want any for this, I just want to share some insights. Everyone is fine to like or criticize it. Although it is annoying.

My biggest "hits" I guess you can say were the recruitment of Quade and Quickely. I remember last Spring tell you all he's coming. I also remember being able to share with you all that Quade was coming early because I had a contact from Temple tell me. Got critized for that at the time too. So it's all good.

I've told you guys wrong on some (Zion) sure... but at the time it was good information and I think MOST UK fans understand that. I also warn you all to take everything with a grain of salt because things change (Zion again).

The problem is that people tend to only remember negative things. Which is just life.

I'll be the first to admit when I don't know something, and I just give my best interpration on the information I have.

I don't claim to know everything, I don't act like I'm the king of recruiting knowledge. I just try and keep you all in the loop on things I do know. May be right, may be wrong.

But, I am a college level coach right now. Just an assistant that is trying to advance up the chain.

My main purpose on the current staff is to recruit and scout. I'm not a big deal at all. However, my life and career is all basketball.

I just like sharing...

Oh, and please don't get your hopes up on Knox too much. No decision HAS BEEN made. I don't want to be killed on here for that prediction :)
Thank you @CoachX11! Every time I get on the board I always look to see if you've made a thread with some info. Sure some people carry a health amount of skepticism with what they see on a message board, as they should, considering the bs that is spread out on the internet. Like you said, I take the info with a grain a salt because things change so quickly and I don't take the info as absolute truth, but it's still cool to read some info about what may (or may not) be happening in the back scenes. I appreciate your time and the info!

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
Thanks Coach for taking the time to share your information.

I have no problems cheering for Nova, love the way they play.

Hey Cat fans,

Tough end of the season, but Coach Cal really had your boys playing great ball at the end. Basketball is random sometimes.

This was the first time I watched UK while actually rooting for them in the tournament, and to see Twitter after they lost was eye-opening. You guys are really hated on by the media in the absolute worst way. The joy shared by college basketball personalities was pretty disgusting.

I'll at the Final Four networking and I usually hear some good rumors (mostly non-UK related), however if you guys want anything specific this weekend is where I personally get 50% of my information anyways.

Just @ me and I'll try and see what I can find out.

A few notes and I'll get out of your way and I'll try and respond when I can.

1. I think you guys will like what you all see out of your three signees over the next month when they're showcased. A whole lot of skill and scoring ability. Which is what this program needs-bucket getters. You all know about my closeness with Quickely. I think he actually may end up being the least impressive one you see. I've heard people saying the white kid going to UK is nasty. Think Devin Booker at UK. Less physical, maybe a little better shooter.

2. I'll be fascinated by the decisions of these UK guys. I think to Coach Cal's and UK's advantage. He's got two really smart set of parents in his corner. The Knox and Washington familes both get it, and will make a really good decision either way.

I think the biggest success Cal had this year is having this group love the stage of Big Blue Nation, even with some big ups and downs.

I'm going to make a prediction that Knox will be the first to return, which will create a nice chain reaction of good decisions.

At this point my guess of those leaving: Alexander, Diallo, Vanderbilt.

3. Right now is agent feeding frenzy. I know Excel thinks they're getting Alexander. Diallo had a lot of agent contact last year during his flirtation. I've always thought Vanderbilt was always looking ahead even in prep. I think him leaving would be a mistake. However I think he would be drafted way higher than you'd think right now though.

I also know that the Knox circle has rejected talks with Excel and two more agencies at this point (Kind of a BIG deal).

4. Supposedly Duke leads for E.J. Montgomery but that's also with Capel. Him leaving could change things. I think it's a blue blood battle with UK, Duke, UNC. It's not a lot by any means. Funny thing is that Vandy people say they'll get him. Tom Crean may get a courtesy look.

Cal will get himself another big guy if someone leaves. Remember that names always pop up in the spring. So don't overly focus on E.J. I would much rather have a Sophmore PJ Washington in a vacuum.

If UK returns Knox and PJ. I wouldn't worry about getting EJ or anyone else.

5. I still think there will be a staff shake-up. Would guess Barbee. That'll also have a negative impact with a current commit. See below.

By the way, Joel Justus is going to be a star. He's awesome, you all should want to keep him.

6. I'm not sure about the Hagan kid. I think he wants to be 2018, but he also wants UK, who wants him in 2019. I don't know. I'll dig a little. I've always said: You don't reclassify for some random school.

7. Something I'm a little more sure of. I'm not so sure you all will see your recent commit DJ Jeffries in a UK uniform. I know enough about Penny, and I think Penny is going to do some Penny stuff.

I also don't think he's all that good. Just me though.

Lastly, I hope you all will support Nova in the Final Four! Philly represents!

-Coach

I think you will ultimately be incorrect on knox. Vanderbilt and PJ are the most fluid right now.

Crean will get more than a courtesy look from EJ. UGA is now very much in the mix.

Disagree about Barbee.

Last edited:
Reactions: ipatent
I don’t understand the harassing of people who share info, whether it’s fake or legit. All that does is make people with legit info less likely to post it.

Also, find one single post on this board before today that mentions Excel thinking they have Shai or Knox refusing to talk to Excel and other agencies.

Regardless I appreciate the info Coach whether it’s good or bad.
I couldn't tell you what excel is except a program made by Microsoft

The problem is that people tend to only remember negative things. Which is just life.

Coach, I believe it's more that the negative among us are more likely to post, respond or, in life, squawk loudly and obnoxiously so people will just let things be and walk away.

There are many people who are reasonable and halfway sane (can any of us be fully sane?) UK fans that enjoy your posts, understand nothing is ever set in stone and also know nothing we do can control what's actually happening in the program.

Personally I enjoy your posts because I understand this is a discussion board, everyone is basically random guy on the street unless you all are getting together behind my back somewhere. :flushed::weary:

So why would I fully trust info from random guy and get all pissy about it of everything didn't pan out like predicted.

Good old trust but verify is the only way to go through life and rafters if you ask me. Lol

Reactions: CalipariCapo
Surely Jefferies knew that Penny was likely gonna be the coach a Memphis when he committed. It was a big rumor everywhere. This board had a couple of threads on it. If he even thought there might be chance wouldn't he hold off on his commitment a couple of weeks if he wanted to play for Penny?

Hey Cat fans,

Tough end of the season, but Coach Cal really had your boys playing great ball at the end. Basketball is random sometimes.

This was the first time I watched UK while actually rooting for them in the tournament, and to see Twitter after they lost was eye-opening. You guys are really hated on by the media in the absolute worst way. The joy shared by college basketball personalities was pretty disgusting.

I'll at the Final Four networking and I usually hear some good rumors (mostly non-UK related), however if you guys want anything specific this weekend is where I personally get 50% of my information anyways.

Just @ me and I'll try and see what I can find out.

A few notes and I'll get out of your way and I'll try and respond when I can.

1. I think you guys will like what you all see out of your three signees over the next month when they're showcased. A whole lot of skill and scoring ability. Which is what this program needs-bucket getters. You all know about my closeness with Quickely. I think he actually may end up being the least impressive one you see. I've heard people saying the white kid going to UK is nasty. Think Devin Booker at UK. Less physical, maybe a little better shooter.

2. I'll be fascinated by the decisions of these UK guys. I think to Coach Cal's and UK's advantage. He's got two really smart set of parents in his corner. The Knox and Washington familes both get it, and will make a really good decision either way.

I think the biggest success Cal had this year is having this group love the stage of Big Blue Nation, even with some big ups and downs.

I'm going to make a prediction that Knox will be the first to return, which will create a nice chain reaction of good decisions.

At this point my guess of those leaving: Alexander, Diallo, Vanderbilt.

3. Right now is agent feeding frenzy. I know Excel thinks they're getting Alexander. Diallo had a lot of agent contact last year during his flirtation. I've always thought Vanderbilt was always looking ahead even in prep. I think him leaving would be a mistake. However I think he would be drafted way higher than you'd think right now though.

I also know that the Knox circle has rejected talks with Excel and two more agencies at this point (Kind of a BIG deal).

4. Supposedly Duke leads for E.J. Montgomery but that's also with Capel. Him leaving could change things. I think it's a blue blood battle with UK, Duke, UNC. It's not a lot by any means. Funny thing is that Vandy people say they'll get him. Tom Crean may get a courtesy look.

Cal will get himself another big guy if someone leaves. Remember that names always pop up in the spring. So don't overly focus on E.J. I would much rather have a Sophmore PJ Washington in a vacuum.

If UK returns Knox and PJ. I wouldn't worry about getting EJ or anyone else.

5. I still think there will be a staff shake-up. Would guess Barbee. That'll also have a negative impact with a current commit. See below.

By the way, Joel Justus is going to be a star. He's awesome, you all should want to keep him.

6. I'm not sure about the Hagan kid. I think he wants to be 2018, but he also wants UK, who wants him in 2019. I don't know. I'll dig a little. I've always said: You don't reclassify for some random school.

7. Something I'm a little more sure of. I'm not so sure you all will see your recent commit DJ Jeffries in a UK uniform. I know enough about Penny, and I think Penny is going to do some Penny stuff.

I also don't think he's all that good. Just me though.

Lastly, I hope you all will support Nova in the Final Four! Philly represents!

-Coach

Which YMCA team do you coach?

You are really starting to excel at this whole message board thing. I'm going to have to keep my eye on you.
I've put in a lot of extra hard work over the years posting outside times I should be asleep so I can hoan my craft and become as good as smooth, cutnets(who still lurks) and umm

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT