ADVERTISEMENT

Coach is here for the haters (March-April Thoughts)

Well I hope Cal has a plan B just in case penny does get DJ to flip. That's the problem though in recruiting, kids sometimes hold coaches hostage by doing something out of ordinary like stay in the draft or flip commit to another school. If Cal were to look at another player in the same class the kid is thinking he's getting recruited over. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Exactly!!!! Knox isn't just blowing smoke. I've been saying this for days!!!! I just get a different vibe from this kid.
Cowtown, I absolutely hope you are correct. The only downside about this entire situation is that I now have my hopes up high, and if something happens, I'll just crash and burn.

Cowtown, I absolutely hope you are correct. The only downside about this entire situation is that I now have my hopes up high, and if something happens, I'll just crash and burn.
Agreed. I just think he's returning. Not a popular opinion. Oh well, popularity is overrated anyway.

No agenda, no hate..just a question. How do we know that CoachXII is really a coach who gets/hears info? I've read and enjoyed a number of his posts and they're informative and seem to be genuine. But why would an asst coach (I think that's what he is) at an unknown college...with no connection to UK (that I know of) post on UK's b'ball forum? Just a question. Maybe I missed something since he first started posting.

Long story short...

I've always respected UK and Coach Cal, by a mutual connection I was asked to start posting to sharing some info on some guy that UK was either in or people wanted UK to notice more.

I was told this was the best board to share on because it was the largest.

I always share that I know way more about people from the northeast than I do from anywhere else.

People asked me to come back and I do occasionally. I was honestly shocked how many people responded to my initial posts.

From then, it's been a little stress relief to post some basketball thoughts without having my name or career attached to it.

I don't want a following or want any for this, I just want to share some insights. Everyone is fine to like or criticize it. Although it is annoying.

My biggest "hits" I guess you can say were the recruitment of Quade and Quickely. I remember last Spring tell you all he's coming. I also remember being able to share with you all that Quade was coming early because I had a contact from Temple tell me. Got critized for that at the time too. So it's all good.

I've told you guys wrong on some (Zion) sure... but at the time it was good information and I think MOST UK fans understand that. I also warn you all to take everything with a grain of salt because things change (Zion again).

The problem is that people tend to only remember negative things. Which is just life.

I'll be the first to admit when I don't know something, and I just give my best interpration on the information I have.

I don't claim to know everything, I don't act like I'm the king of recruiting knowledge. I just try and keep you all in the loop on things I do know. May be right, may be wrong.

But, I am a college level coach right now. Just an assistant that is trying to advance up the chain.

My main purpose on the current staff is to recruit and scout. I'm not a big deal at all. However, my life and career is all basketball.

I just like sharing...

Oh, and please don't get your hopes up on Knox too much. No decision HAS BEEN made. I don't want to be killed on here for that prediction :)

@CoachX11

Not related to UK, but are you hearing any draft decisions regarding other programs such as Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc.?

Yes, I am.

Former coach here who knows a few people and national writers. I keep my ear to the ground.

There has been no decisions made yet on their entrees, but I wouldn't get my hopes up either way, because nothing has happened yet.

I'll post more when I know more.

Reactions: Bluemoon725
Long story short...

I've always respected UK and Coach Cal, by a mutual connection I was asked to start posting to sharing some info on some guy that UK was either in or people wanted UK to notice more.

I always share that I know way more about people from the northeast than I do from anywhere else.

People asked me to come back and I do occasionally. I was honestly shocked how many people responded to my initial posts.

From then, it's been a little stress relief to post some basketball thoughts without having my name or career attached to it.

I don't want a following or want any for this, I just want to share some insights. Everyone is fine to like or criticize it. Although it is annoying.

My biggest "hits" I guess you can say were the recruitment of Quade and Quickely. I remember last Spring tell you all he's coming. I also remember being able to share with you all that Quade was coming early because I had a contact from Temple tell me. Got critized for that at the time too. So it's all good.

I've told you guys wrong on some (Zion) sure... but at the time it was good information and I think MOST UK fans understand that. I also warn you all to take everything with a grain of salt because things change (Zion again).

The problem is that people tend to only remember negative things. Which is just life.

I'll be the first to admit when I don't know something, and I just give my best interpration on the information I have.

I don't claim to know everything, I don't act like I'm the king of recruiting knowledge. I just try and keep you all in the loop on things I do know. May be right, may be wrong.

But, I am a college level coach right now. Just an assistant that is trying to advance up the chain.

My main purpose on the current staff is to recruit and scout. I'm not a big deal at all. However, my life and career is all basketball.

I just like sharing...

Oh, and please don't get your hopes up on Knox too much. No decision HAS BEEN made. I don't want to be killed on here for that prediction :)
I appreciate your insight and opinion. Post like yours are exactly what I hope to find on Rupp Rafters.. Best of luck with your career. Keep posting my friend!

Reactions: treyforuk
I can't believe people are still falling for this crap.

Yeah I’m a lil hesitant to believe the OP as well. Not trying to bash him or degrade him but how many things has the OP called that was correct or was incorrect?

Hey Cat fans,

Tough end of the season, but Coach Cal really had your boys playing great ball at the end. Basketball is random sometimes.

This was the first time I watched UK while actually rooting for them in the tournament, and to see Twitter after they lost was eye-opening. You guys are really hated on by the media in the absolute worst way. The joy shared by college basketball personalities was pretty disgusting.

I'll at the Final Four networking and I usually hear some good rumors (mostly non-UK related), however if you guys want anything specific this weekend is where I personally get 50% of my information anyways.

Just @ me and I'll try and see what I can find out.

A few notes and I'll get out of your way and I'll try and respond when I can.

1. I think you guys will like what you all see out of your three signees over the next month when they're showcased. A whole lot of skill and scoring ability. Which is what this program needs-bucket getters. You all know about my closeness with Quickely. I think he actually may end up being the least impressive one you see. I've heard people saying the white kid going to UK is nasty. Think Devin Booker at UK. Less physical, maybe a little better shooter.

2. I'll be fascinated by the decisions of these UK guys. I think to Coach Cal's and UK's advantage. He's got two really smart set of parents in his corner. The Knox and Washington familes both get it, and will make a really good decision either way.

I think the biggest success Cal had this year is having this group love the stage of Big Blue Nation, even with some big ups and downs.

I'm going to make a prediction that Knox will be the first to return, which will create a nice chain reaction of good decisions.

At this point my guess of those leaving: Alexander, Diallo, Vanderbilt.

3. Right now is agent feeding frenzy. I know Excel thinks they're getting Alexander. Diallo had a lot of agent contact last year during his flirtation. I've always thought Vanderbilt was always looking ahead even in prep. I think him leaving would be a mistake. However I think he would be drafted way higher than you'd think right now though.

I also know that the Knox circle has rejected talks with Excel and two more agencies at this point (Kind of a BIG deal).

4. Supposedly Duke leads for E.J. Montgomery but that's also with Capel. Him leaving could change things. I think it's a blue blood battle with UK, Duke, UNC. It's not a lot by any means. Funny thing is that Vandy people say they'll get him. Tom Crean may get a courtesy look.

Cal will get himself another big guy if someone leaves. Remember that names always pop up in the spring. So don't overly focus on E.J. I would much rather have a Sophmore PJ Washington in a vacuum.

If UK returns Knox and PJ. I wouldn't worry about getting EJ or anyone else.

5. I still think there will be a staff shake-up. Would guess Barbee. That'll also have a negative impact with a current commit. See below.

By the way, Joel Justus is going to be a star. He's awesome, you all should want to keep him.

6. I'm not sure about the Hagan kid. I think he wants to be 2018, but he also wants UK, who wants him in 2019. I don't know. I'll dig a little. I've always said: You don't reclassify for some random school.

7. Something I'm a little more sure of. I'm not so sure you all will see your recent commit DJ Jeffries in a UK uniform. I know enough about Penny, and I think Penny is going to do some Penny stuff.

I also don't think he's all that good. Just me though.

Lastly, I hope you all will support Nova in the Final Four! Philly represents!

-Coach
I check this board on a daily basis but never post. I want to thank you for the information. Time will tell just how accurate some of your opinions are but, I do appreciate the manner in which you present the info.

Long story short...

I just like sharing...

Thanks, Coach. All you can do is pass along what you have heard, and sometimes, even the kids don't know what they are going to do. Appreciate you passing along the info.

Yes, I am.

Former coach here who knows a few people and national writers. I keep my ear to the ground.

There has been no decisions made yet on their entrees, but I wouldn't get my hopes up either way, because nothing has happened yet.

I'll post more when I know more.

If I were making a decision on an entree right now, it would be Buffalo chicken sliders and a plate of nachos for my appetizer. That could change by the time I get to the dinner table, but you're free to post this anywhere.

Long story short...

I just like sharing...

I ran the Palestra for a few years in the mid 2000's. Would we have crossed paths?

No agenda, no hate..just a question. How do we know that CoachXII is really a coach who gets/hears info? I've read and enjoyed a number of his posts and they're informative and seem to be genuine. But why would an asst coach (I think that's what he is) at an unknown college...with no connection to UK (that I know of) post on UK's b'ball forum? Just a question. Maybe I missed something since he first started posting.

Agreed.

A lot of times it seems our board “insiders” phrase predictions in such a way whereas if their prediction is correct they can say “see look, I was right” however if the predictions are wrong “well I mean I didn’t guarantee it.. “

It’s a risky little gamble with a big payoff if trying to give the illusion to others as being an “insider”

JMO... something I (and others ) have noticed in general.

@morgousky - can you PM me?? I tried to pm you but it won’t let me?

Reactions: new era cat
Agreed.

A lot of times it seems our board “insiders” phrase predictions in such a way whereas if their prediction is correct they can say “see look, I was right” however if the predictions are wrong “well I mean I didn’t guarantee it.. “

It’s a risky little gamble with a big payoff if trying to give the illusion to others as being an “insider”

It's because I don't have a membership anymore. I am going to join tonight when I get a second, I've been meaning to do it. Wait for the member icon to show up and PM me.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Exactly!!!! Knox isn't just blowing smoke. I've been saying this for days!!!! I just get a different vibe from this kid.
Interesting that he says Knox returning could set off a bit of a chain reaction.Without having any inside info I thought the same thing,not saying he will but if he does I can see other players taking a second look at coming back.

As I said in another thread given the choice of Diallo or Vanderbilt returning I would choose Diallo(brianpoe is probably horrified that I said that) I can see things setting up such that we need to add another player(big) but I think that player would have to come out of the woodwork and is not on our (fans)radar right now.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Interesting that he says Knox returning could set off a bit of a chain reaction.Without having any inside info I thought the same thing,not saying he will but if he does I can see other players taking a second look at coming back.

As I said in another thread given the choice of Diallo or Vanderbilt returning I would choose Diallo(brianpoe is probably horrified that I said that) I can see things setting up such that we need to add another player(big) but I think that player would have to come out of the woodwork and is not on our (fans)radar right now.
I liked your post until I read Diallo over Vando. Don't quite get that one. I agree with your first paragraph, though.

Agreed.

Hmmmm you could be onto something there. Anyway, how much is a membership on this bitch?

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
LOL. Rupp's Rafters never change.

CoachX11 posts.
morgousky comes in thread to discredit
FrankUnderwood cosigns morgousky

Think folks are just happy to talk about some positive news for the future/recruiting/next year's team. Give us all a chance to not think about the Final Four.

BTW Hope Kansas loses. Don't care who wins after that.

I like your post until I read Diallo over Vando. Don't quite get that one. I agree with your first paragraph, though.
With Vanderbilt you are on the edge of your seat wondering if he makes it thru a game without being injured,there has been so much uncertainty as to if he plays or when he plays that I just don't want to go thru that again.He brings several things to the table when he is on the court but every time he falls down you wonder if he is going to get up.We could be in a situation at times next year when we are short of warm bodies to put on the floor,Diallo is more likely to be that than Vanderbilt.

With Vanderbilt you are on the edge of your seat wondering if he makes it thru a game without being injured,there has been so much uncertainty as to if he plays or when he plays that I just don't want to go thru that again.He brings several things to the table when he is on the court but every time he falls down you wonder if he is going to get up.We could be in a situation at times next year when we are short of warm bodies to put on the floor,Diallo is more likely to be that than Vanderbilt.
Okay, I understand and I've actually given this some thought. I'm also afraid he might have nagging injuries next year and be in and out of the lineup. That is my only fear with Vando, so I agree in that aspect.

Okay, I understand and I've actually given this some thought. I'm also afraid he might have nagging injuries next year and be in and out of the lineup. That is my only fear with Vando, so I agree in that aspect.
If he could stay healthy he is a great player to have on the floor,one of my favorite players on the team this year.Given his history(I hate it for the kid) if he can get some money at the next level he should take it when he can.

If he could stay healthy he is a great player to have on the floor,one of my favorite players on the team this year.Given his history(I hate it for the kid) if he can get some money at the next level he should take it when he can.
Oh I definitely agree. I just think IF he can stay healthy all season he's a definite lottery pick IMO. Just so versatile. Matter of fact, he was probably the most versatile player in the country this year when you combine his rebounding and motor with his ball handling skills and passing. That combination in his skill set doesn't come along very often. Actually, I don't know if I've ever seen another player with that kind of unique skill set.

Reactions: docholiday51
LOL. Rupp's Rafters never change.

CoachX11 posts.
morgousky comes in thread to discredit
FrankUnderwood cosigns morgousky

Think folks are just happy to talk about some positive news for the future/recruiting/next year's team. Give us all a chance to not think about the Final Four.

BTW Hope Kansas loses. Don't care who wins after that.

Actually I rarely post in these threads much. I've been around a while, I know how to pick out good information vs. a run down of rafters over 2 months.

He's probably a coach somewhere but he doesn't know half of what he's guessing about. He's been wrong a lot, rarely have I seen him make good predictions. Yes I gave him a shot, but it's too easy to do what he does. Just read Rafters for 2 months and pretend you know things based off it. Most of his statements are designed around our threads, nothing new comes from him.

" I wouldn't bet on Jefferies in a UK uniform":rolleyes:

You want to believe what he's saying go ahead, but don't come at me when I'm just going off of past history. And just because you want to hope he's right and feel warm doesn't mean I cant post that I don't believe he knows anything.

And FTR I've got no idea what you mean by the other statement.

If that is true, it would not make him a nice guy.

Not necessarily.

He might be a coach and a nice guy, but that doesn't mean you are connected to what goes on at UK. It doesn't mean you get good info from the AAU scene.

I think he reads the board and forms an opinion based off of our threads and tidbits he might hear somewhere. They align too closely together to be a coincidence. I'm sure he believes these things, and likes the attention (normal), and probably doesn't mean any harm by it.

But if you've followed him close enough since posting, it's the same thing every time, and he's wrong most of the time. Can someone give me one thing he's expressed that wasn't on this board? Something new that we don't know? Anything? I'm open to believing him and would love to have a connection around here that is legitimate, but I wont just go with it because it feels good.

We've all known guys who are well connected and know what goes on. They aren't questioned because the info is too good. He doesn't fit that mold.

Just read Rafters for 2 months and pretend you know things based off it. Most of his statements are designed around our threads, nothing new comes from him.

Who would waste the time to do that? He's obviously repeating rumors he's heard from insiders of some type. Doesn't mean they're correct, but rumors are the currency of these boards and at least he has source(s).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT