ADVERTISEMENT

Coach is here for the haters (March-April Thoughts)

Aug 23, 2016
Hey Cat fans,

Tough end of the season, but Coach Cal really had your boys playing great ball at the end. Basketball is random sometimes.

This was the first time I watched UK while actually rooting for them in the tournament, and to see Twitter after they lost was eye-opening. You guys are really hated on by the media in the absolute worst way. The joy shared by college basketball personalities was pretty disgusting.

I'll at the Final Four networking and I usually hear some good rumors (mostly non-UK related), however if you guys want anything specific this weekend is where I personally get 50% of my information anyways.

Just @ me and I'll try and see what I can find out.

A few notes and I'll get out of your way and I'll try and respond when I can.

1. I think you guys will like what you all see out of your three signees over the next month when they're showcased. A whole lot of skill and scoring ability. Which is what this program needs-bucket getters. You all know about my closeness with Quickely. I think he actually may end up being the least impressive one you see. I've heard people saying the white kid going to UK is nasty. Think Devin Booker at UK. Less physical, maybe a little better shooter.

2. I'll be fascinated by the decisions of these UK guys. I think to Coach Cal's and UK's advantage. He's got two really smart set of parents in his corner. The Knox and Washington familes both get it, and will make a really good decision either way.

I think the biggest success Cal had this year is having this group love the stage of Big Blue Nation, even with some big ups and downs.

I'm going to make a prediction that Knox will be the first to return, which will create a nice chain reaction of good decisions.

At this point my guess of those leaving: Alexander, Diallo, Vanderbilt.

3. Right now is agent feeding frenzy. I know Excel thinks they're getting Alexander. Diallo had a lot of agent contact last year during his flirtation. I've always thought Vanderbilt was always looking ahead even in prep. I think him leaving would be a mistake. However I think he would be drafted way higher than you'd think right now though.

I also know that the Knox circle has rejected talks with Excel and two more agencies at this point (Kind of a BIG deal).

4. Supposedly Duke leads for E.J. Montgomery but that's also with Capel. Him leaving could change things. I think it's a blue blood battle with UK, Duke, UNC. It's not a lot by any means. Funny thing is that Vandy people say they'll get him. Tom Crean may get a courtesy look.

Cal will get himself another big guy if someone leaves. Remember that names always pop up in the spring. So don't overly focus on E.J. I would much rather have a Sophmore PJ Washington in a vacuum.

If UK returns Knox and PJ. I wouldn't worry about getting EJ or anyone else.

5. I still think there will be a staff shake-up. Would guess Barbee. That'll also have a negative impact with a current commit. See below.

By the way, Joel Justus is going to be a star. He's awesome, you all should want to keep him.

6. I'm not sure about the Hagan kid. I think he wants to be 2018, but he also wants UK, who wants him in 2019. I don't know. I'll dig a little. I've always said: You don't reclassify for some random school.

7. Something I'm a little more sure of. I'm not so sure you all will see your recent commit DJ Jeffries in a UK uniform. I know enough about Penny, and I think Penny is going to do some Penny stuff.

I also don't think he's all that good. Just me though.

Lastly, I hope you all will support Nova in the Final Four! Philly represents!

-Coach

Hey Cat fans,

Tough end of the season, but Coach Cal really had your boys playing great ball at the end. Basketball is random sometimes.

This was the first time I watched UK while actually rooting for them in the tournament, and to see Twitter after they lost was eye-opening. You guys are really hated on by the media in the absolute worst way. The joy shared by college basketball personalities was pretty disgusting.

I'll at the Final Four networking and I usually hear some good rumors (mostly non-UK related), however if you guys want anything specific this weekend is where I personally get 50% of my information anyways.

1. I think you guys will like what you all see out of your three signees over the next month when they're showcased. A whole lot of skill and scoring ability. Which is what this program needs-bucket getters. You all know about my closeness with Quickely. I think he actually may end up being the least impressive one you see. I've heard people saying the white kid going to UK is nasty. Think Devin Booker at UK. Less physical, maybe a little better shooter.

2. I'll be fascinated by the decisions of these UK guys. I think to Coach Cal's and UK's advantage. He's got two really smart set of parents in his corner. The Knox and Washington familes both get it, and will make a really good decision either way.

I think the biggest success Cal had this year is having this group love the stage of Big Blue Nation, even with some big ups and downs.

I'm going to make a prediction that Knox will be the first to return, which will create a nice chain reaction of good decisions.

3. Right now is agent feeding frenzy. I know Excel thinks they're getting Alexander. Diallo had a lot of agent contact last year during his flirtation. I've always thought Vanderbilt was always looking ahead even in prep. I think him leaving would be a mistake. However I think he would be drafted way higher than you'd think right now though.

I also know that the Knox circle has rejected talks with Excel and two more agencies at this point (Kind of a BIG deal).

4. Supposedly Duke leads for E.J. Montgomery but that's also with Capel. Him leaving could change things. I think it's a blue blood battle with UK, Duke, UNC. It's not a lot by any means. Funny thing is that Vandy people say they'll get him. Tom Crean may get a courtesy look.

Cal will get himself another big guy if someone leaves. Remember that names always pop up in the spring. So don't overly focus on E.J. I would much rather have a Sophmore PJ Washington in a vacuum.

5. I still think there will be a staff shake-up. Would guess Barbee. That'll also have a negative impact with a current commit. See below.

By the way, Joel Justus is going to be a star. He's awesome, you all should want to keep him.

6. I'm not sure about the Hagan kid. I think he wants to be 2018, but he also wants UK, who wants him in 2019. I don't know. I'll dig a little. I've always said: You don't reclassify for some random school.

7. Something I'm a little more sure of. I'm not so sure you all will see your recent commit DJ Jeffries in a UK uniform. I know enough about Penny, and I think Penny is going to do some Penny stuff.

-Coach
I for one really enjoy the info coach. Ignore the douches on this board.

The idea of getting Knox back has me extremely excited. I'd kill for him and pj

Hey Cat fans,

-Coach
Thanks for the info coach. Herro a better shooter than booker sheesh. And if you think DJ Jefferies follows Penny to Memphis I'm assuming you're thinking the same about Wiseman?

If DJ Jeffries decommits then that would be a first for Calipari. It's bound to happen sooner or later, but it's surprising if it happens this time just due to how much time and effort Cal put into recruiting him.

Hey Cat fans,

-Coach
Great stuff thank you always appreciate your insight

I love the Booker comparison with Herro. That's exactly who he reminds me of also. Like @Rupp'sRunt said above, if he's a better shooter than Booker, WOW!!!! Also, another neutral observer that sees the apparent media hate on UK Basketball. Butttttt, we are just paranoid UK fans. :rolleyes: Thanks Coach, most of us appreciate it. I am one of those people.

If DJ Jeffries decommits then that would be a first for Calipari. It's bound to happen sooner or later, but it's surprising if it happens this time just due to how much time and effort Cal put into recruiting him.
Why did Cal put so much effort into recruiting him? Admittedly don't know anything about the kid, would appreciate any info

Hey Cat fans,

-Coach

Always read your post Coach, good stuff keep it coming......thanks

So you're unsure about Jefferies because "Penny gonna Penny". Lol. Wow, thanks coach!

The reason Jefferies isn't a sure bet is because Memphis applies a ton of pressure to kids from the area or connected to the area. I've seen first hand what they do, kids are treated horribly when they don't submit to the town.

I am great friends with a former UK player who played for Memphis Melrose and chose Kentucky. The stories of the way he was treated is unreal. He hates the entire program.

Penny is going to play that same game. Basically threaten kids using the city and coaches to commit.

So, again Thanks for the.....news.

So you're unsure about Jefferies because "Penny gonna Penny". Lol. Wow, thanks coach!

The reason Jefferies isn't a sure bet is because Memphis applies a ton of pressure to kids from the area or connected to the area. I've seen first hand what they do, kids are treated horribly when they don't submit to the town.

I am great friends with a former UK player who played for Memphis Melrose and chose Kentucky. The stories of the way he was treated is unreal. He hates the entire program.

Penny is going to play that same game. Basically threaten kids using the city and coaches to commit.

So, again Thanks for the.....news.
Lighten up. Let the man express himself. No harm done. You are coming off as an angry know it all.

I got curious and all I could find was Chris Jones from loserville. Say it aint so.

Thanks Coach. Always love reading your posts and getting your ideas as a neutral observer. I hope you have bird stew this weekend. Good luck on the recruiting trail.

Why did Cal put so much effort into recruiting him? Admittedly don't know anything about the kid, would appreciate any info
Are you asking me? I can't speak for Cal. If I were to guess it's because he really wants this kid.

kinda off topic but Booker went thru a stretch where he couldnt throw it in the ocean , the Pro DB doesnt exactly resemble the college DB .

Hey Coach, thanks as always !! enjoy the final four, are you there looking for a new job ? and heck yes go Nova !!

Reactions: CoachX11
No agenda, no hate..just a question. How do we know that CoachXII is really a coach who gets/hears info? I've read and enjoyed a number of his posts and they're informative and seem to be genuine. But why would an asst coach (I think that's what he is) at an unknown college...with no connection to UK (that I know of) post on UK's b'ball forum? Just a question. Maybe I missed something since he first started posting.

Reactions: new era cat
No agenda, no hate..just a question. How do we know that CoachXII is really a coach who gets/hears info? I've read and enjoyed a number of his posts and they're informative and seem to be genuine. But why would an asst coach (I think that's what he is) at an unknown college...with no connection to UK (that I know of) post on UK's b'ball forum? Just a question. Maybe I missed something since he first started posting.
@CoachX11 I’m sure he has addressed this before but I just don’t remember. He may not be an assistant anywhere but for the most part when Coach posts here he has some pretty good info. A lot of which you don’t hear anywhere else, that’s why I believe him. Of course he is going to get some wrong as CBB is an ever changing landscape, nothing is absolute. When you’re dealing with 18-19 kids things can change quickly. Just don’t know what reason he would have to come and make this stuff up.

ADVERTISEMENT