CJ Fredrick still around

'18-'19 - medical redshirt (Iowa)
'19-'20 - 25/31 games (Iowa)
'20-'21 - 27/31 games (Iowa)
'21-'22 - injury redshirt (Kentucky)
'22-'23 - 26/34 games (Kentucky)
'23-'24 - 15/37 games (Cincinnati)
'24-'25 - TBD (Cincinnati)

Career high in points, assists, and minutes all came his first season playing. Hasn't gone a season without missing multiple games to injury. Multiple surgeries, cracked ribs, and fractures and he's still going. Good on him for not giving up I guess

At what point do you graduate, leave school, and start the next chapter of your life? Come on man, it’s time to move on.
This makes no sense. Why would you stop playing if you loved the game and had the opportunity to keep playing it, while also making some money? I’m quite a bit older than CJ and I’m still in college. Like CJ, I’ll keep going as long as they keep paying me to be there. And it’s like you’re imagining these guys are beebopping around campus still, nah they’re taking online classes.

'18-'19 - medical redshirt (Iowa)
'19-'20 - 25/31 games (Iowa)
'20-'21 - 27/31 games (Iowa)
'21-'22 - injury redshirt (Kentucky)
'22-'23 - 26/34 games (Kentucky)
'23-'24 - 15/37 games (Cincinnati)
'24-'25 - TBD (Cincinnati)

Career high in points, assists, and minutes all came his first season playing. Hasn't gone a season without missing multiple games to injury. Multiple surgeries, cracked ribs, and fractures and he's still going. Good on him for not giving up I guess

In this era I haven't seen a player be in school longer. He will be 25 before the season starts and in his 7th year in college.

My oldest kid was 5 and starting kindergarten when the season kicked off in '18 . He will be in 6th grade this fall.

Wow...

Jmo and I know this sounds harsh but.....he just doesn't want to play. It's that simple. Noone is injured that much for that long. His heart isn't in it and he should move on. I said the same thing when he was here because it was the same then.

All I can figure is either his woman is still in school or he's finishing up a masters degree or something. Because he definitely isn't there to actually play.

Can he play basketball in a polycarbonate human hamster wheel? That might be the only way he makes it through a season without a major injury.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
If he doesn’t have pro aspirations then I hope to hell he is getting a marketable advanced degree.

Why in the world would you want to continue this? Is he dreading moving on to the real world that much? I don’t get it.

This makes no sense. Why would you stop playing if you loved the game and had the opportunity to keep playing it, while also making some money? I’m quite a bit older than CJ and I’m still in college. Like CJ, I’ll keep going as long as they keep paying me to be there. And it’s like you’re imagining these guys are beebopping around campus still, nah they’re taking online classes.
I've got no problem with CJ doing it because he will be in his 2nd year of grad school and probably graduating with a masters degree. He took full advantage of the system to get an undergraduate and graduate degree while playing (when not hurt) the sport he loves. I highly doubt he's getting much money from NIL, but the value of the free education is most likely worth it to him.

Last edited:
In this era I haven't seen a player be in school longer. He will be 25 before the season starts and in his 7th year in college.

My oldest kid was 5 and starting kindergarten when the season kicked off in '18 . He will be in 6th grade this fall.

Wow...
He was in the same HS class as Zion and started college a year before Anthony Edwards.

How can you be older than 24 and have someone paying you to go to college. I have a 19 year old college student and a 15 year old future college student that would be interested in that gig.

24 year old CJ isn’t doing 40-50 year old CJ any favors.

This is my concern. I don't care about the "move on with life, get out of college." Like people said, he's continuing to get free education, hopefully completing a master's. But he's missed 2 full seasons due to injuries, and missed 6, 4, 7, and 22 games the other years due to injuries. I worry about his physical health.

Reactions: CELTICAT
How can you be older than 24 and have someone paying you to go to college. I have a 19 year old college student and a 15 year old future college student that would be interested in that gig.
I am not in even in my 20s believe it or not, yet the government still pays my entire tuition bill and gives me $1050/month tax free on top of it and $250 per term for books (which my school now includes in my tuition, so I use the $250 to stock up on cannabinoids and accessories to consume them like a real college student would). Like I said, until the government wants to stop giving me tax free money to pursue education, I will continue to pursue education. At some point you’re probably gonna have to start referring to me as Dr. BigKari.

As for your kids, I’ve heard Israel and Ukraine are nice this time of year…

It's makes you wonder what the H is going on in NCAA. Is anybody in charge? Do they still have rules?
They need Walter Sobchak to break it down for them.
the big lebowski walter GIF

They need Walter Sobchak to break it down for them.
the big lebowski walter GIF

Which then begs the question, why do any of you want the NCAA to have rules? This period we’re in of telling them to buzz off about everything and getting courts to shut them down will be the impetus to eventually leaving the organization in the dust.

Which then begs the question, why do any of you want the NCAA to have rules? This period we’re in of telling them to buzz off about everything and getting courts to shut them down will be the impetus to eventually leaving the organization in the dust.
The kids aren't amateurs in any sense of the word these days, and most even have agents to handle NIL deals. Education is also barely a part of the equation.

The only reason the NCAA seems to exist these days is to keep lucrative TV rights deals alive. The way of the future is probably school affiliated club teams and conference associations creating their own rules. Once players begin collective bargaining and negotiating actual contracts with schools, the NCAA will be toast in its current form.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigKari
CJ could write an intriguing book if he was to play for Mark Pope this season. He will have played for what- 5 different coaching staff's? And he would give some great insights as to how much difference there was at each stop.
And as for us UK fans, what was it like playing for CAL and a team of freshman 5*, versus playing for Pope and the experienced NIL mercenaries.

He should keep going to school as long as he can. I doubt that he's going to make a pro roster at this point. NIL seems to pay better than a regular job, so why not?

Reactions: Zissou87
Why in the world would you want to continue this? Is he dreading moving on to the real world that much? I don’t get it.
I see it the opposite way, what is the upside of "moving on"?

He probably makes more than my college educated old ass with less stress and bother on a day to day basis.

He will probably beat me to retirement too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT