ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Fredrick is a problem

Iowa Hawkeye here who seen Fredrick at Iowa his entire time. Gets down to one simple thing with him: Can he stay healthy? The guy has been one injury after another after another in his college time. When he's healthy he'll be a very big positive in a very quiet way most every time.

He's not a point guard. Has never played point. He's capable of it in a pinch, but it's really not his position. I heard he practiced the point a little before he went to Iowa because that's what they needed, but never ended up playing it. He can run the break and he can run the offense on any given play, but he is and has always been a shooting guard.
Iowa Hawkeye here-- you DO NOT want CJ playing point. Create shots for him from the wing and most importantly of all, keep his ass healthy.

To be fair, his basketball IQ probably looks far better than it actually IS, because we don't get to see good decision making at UK very much anymore. It's mostly isolation with the clock running down, forced entry passes to big men that are not about to give it up, once they get it in the paint, leaving your feet on an aimless drive, or just getting your stuff swatted time after time.

IOW, Calipari's offense..

I wish he'd just leave already. I'm tired of looking at him, listening to him, and watching his teams..

To be fair, his basketball IQ probably looks far better than it actually IS, because we don't get to see good decision making at UK very much anymore. It's mostly isolation with the clock running down, forced entry passes to big men that are not about to give it up, once they get it in the paint, leaving your feet on an aimless drive, or just getting your stuff swatted time after time.

I wish he'd just leave already. I'm tired of looking at him, listening to him, and watching his teams..
Would be better if you left yourself

Would be better if you left yourself

Agreed. Never heard of her (the other poster) so best they crawl back under the rock or back down to the sewer they escaped from.

I think Frederick's health will be an issue so he needs load management. I'd play him less against the ooc cupcakes and lesser talented sec teams. If we are up 15 with 12 to go against tn at home he can probably sit in those games too.

All that matters is UK is healthy in March. Nothing else matters. I like our chances if healthy in the sec and ncaa tournaments.

Agreed. Never heard of her (the other poster) so best they crawl back under the rock or back down to the sewer they escaped from.

I think Frederick's health will be an issue so he needs load management. I'd play him less against the ooc cupcakes and lesser talented sec teams. If we are up 15 with 12 to go against tn at home he can probably sit in those games too.

All that matters is UK is healthy in March. Nothing else matters. I like our chances if healthy in the sec and ncaa tournaments.
Yes, with Fredrick's history of injury, he just won't be able to be that 30+ minute per game guy. Playing 20 minutes a game in a very key role would be ideal for him and better the odds of keeping him healthy all season long. He'll make your team better if he can stay healthy at 20 minutes a game.

Iowa Hawkeye here who seen Fredrick at Iowa his entire time. Gets down to one simple thing with him: Can he stay healthy? The guy has been one injury after another after another in his college time. When he's healthy he'll be a very big positive in a very quiet way most every time.
Certainly my biggest concern. Glad we have a new S&C guy to watch over him.

Yes, with Fredrick's history of injury, he just won't be able to be that 30+ minute per game guy. Playing 20 minutes a game in a very key role would be ideal for him and better the odds of keeping him healthy all season long. He'll make your team better if he can stay healthy at 20 minutes a game.
I’m not sure I agree. After both the B/W game and the 1st exhibition he said the games were easy compared to practice. If he’s working his butt off in practice, I don’t think shaving 10 minutes off games twice a week will do much to prevent injuries.

Cal was clearly being very conservative in bringing him back slowly over the summer, but the fact that he played him the entire B/W game shows me Cal has confidence in Welsh’s work and assessment.

CJ bulked up a lot at Iowa and I think all that extra weight caused his stress-related issues. He’s much lighter now so nowhere near the pounding his feet/ankles/shins were taking at Iowa.

I really believe it’d be better for everyone if you exit the building Elvis.

Using him as a point forward to initiate offense a la Scotty Pippen could be interesting as the season goes on.

With our depth he shouldn't have to play heavy minutes either, which will help him stay healthy.

He's a real X factor for this team. I came into this season with very little confidence that CJ can stay healthy for an entire season, but man he changes the team when he's on the floor.

Other than not being a world class athlete he has all the tools. I knew he could shoot and was a better than average defender, but the court vision took me by surprise! Dude is going to be a straight up problem for opposing teams. Can't wait!

giphy.gif
I disagree. I think he's a really good player. Not sure why you think he's a problem...

• Haha
Reactions: University-6
Kentucky fully loaded this year. There won't be no first round exit. Coach Cal has a shot blocker. We good ...super good 💯🏆

Reactions: University-6
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT