ADVERTISEMENT

Citrus Bowl

BARRYBLUE1

Junior
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2013
A poor decision by Stoops to settle for one on pat with over minute left in 3rd qtr. Scoring 2 would have made the lead 3 full tds. With the kick, left possibility of losing 28-27.

A poor decision by Stoops to settle for one on pat with over minute left in 3rd qtr. Scoring 2 would have made the lead 3 full tds. With the kick, left possibility of losing 28-27.
We were ahead of Penn State 20-7 when Benny Snell ran 11 yards for a TD with 1:35 left in the 3rd quarter. By kicking the PAT, MS went ahead 27-7 and he assured Penn State would need to score 3 TDs in the last 16:25 to beat us. If Stoops had gone for a two point conversion and if we failed to get it, we would have been ahead 25-7 and Penn State could have beat or tied us with 2 TDs plus conversions and a FG. I understand your theoretical argument, but it is hindsight. Any good coach would have done what MS did.

I need to go to the PSU board and see if he just posted a complaint about Franklin’s FG and fake punt. Maybe he is just catching up on all of his complaints quarterly.

Reactions: The-Hack
Not sure why we are discussing this now but I totally disagree. Way too early in the game to start thinking of that. Plus if he did and failed then a FG at the end would have have won the game instead of tying it.

Not sure why we are discussing this now but I totally disagree. Way too early in the game to start thinking of that. Plus if he did and failed then a FG at the end would have have won the game instead of tying it.
Agree...I like the thought process is you don't go chasing points like this until 4th qtr.

Agree...I like the thought process is you don't go chasing points like this until 4th qtr.

If you want to find a person who doesn’t understand math, wait til they say “chasing points”. People who use that term totally discount the fact that you are basically 50% to make a conversion. It’s old folks talk - the kind of thing you say when you are nostalgic for the mid-range jumper. “You shouldn’t shoot 3s cause you miss more of them!” Lol

If you want to find a person who doesn’t understand math, wait til they say “chasing points”. People who use that term totally discount the fact that you are basically 50% to make a conversion. It’s old folks talk - the kind of thing you say when you are nostalgic for the mid-range jumper. “You shouldn’t shoot 3s cause you miss more of them!” Lol
Where are you getting stats you make 50% of 2pt conversions? I've never seen that stat.

That has to be a made up stat. If there were truly a 50% conversion rate then you would never go for 1.

Reactions: fabcat and thepip

While at the game, I agreed with you. However, consider this:

1) If Stoops goes for two and misses, then UK potentially loses the game 27-26.
2) If Stoops goes for two and makes it, then PSU is down 28-21 late in the fourth. In that case, they would not have kicked the FG (which they did to pull within 27-24) and instead would be going for it on 4th and 7 deep in UK territory. Could have changed the course of the game and resulted in a tie game instead of UK running out the clock...

While at the game, I agreed with you. However, consider this:

1) If Stoops goes for two and misses, then UK potentially loses the game 27-26.
2) If Stoops goes for two and makes it, then PSU is down 28-21 late in the fourth. In that case, they would not have kicked the FG (which they did to pull within 27-24) and instead would be going for it on 4th and 7 deep in UK territory. Could have changed the course of the game and resulted in a tie game instead of UK running out the clock...

Interesting take.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT