ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

According to the article, it’s an average of $207K per person, but the $60 million includes non-wrestling talent.

And since it says it covers 290 people, that likely includes enhancement talent and people who don’t have on-screen roles.

Would have thought it would been a good bit more than $60 million over two years.

Reactions: GeraldV
I watched the last segment post match whatever it was with the plumber and his wanna be Steve Austin persona and the only 2 non ex-wwe guys involved were Okada (relegated to lackey/comedy) and wheeler yuta (relegated to bcc jobber).
How do you see Mox as impersonating Austin? I don’t see that at all. Austin didn’t do promos like this or in that tone.

It’s apparently inspired by the movie Romper Stomper.

I saw Romper Stomper 20 years ago. Don't recall much about it other than if you were really into movies then, it got released on dvd and it's the film that sorta put Russell Crowe on the map and got him attention from Hollywood. Two years later he's in The Quick and the Dead, two years after that L.A. Confidential. Boom...movie star. Regardless, wrestling minds seem to be blown that Moxley watched a movie while on vacation in Cincinnati and is now pretending to be an imposing character from that movie. Add the Storm/May thing and AEW's creative seems to just be stealing ideas from old movies and then proudly telling us that.

Reactions: Wesley91581
Thought Bad Blood was fairly mediocre. HIAC was great and worth remembering though. They knew where the lines were and didn't do anything for extreme shock value as if they were in a Hostel or Saw movie. Fans afterward didn't need to say "I never want to see something like that ever again." We got Rock back and KO finally turned but the rest? Meh.

MVP's tweet about racism I guess got a journalist to ask Triple H about the lack of specifically black men on the show. I just don't like those gotcha questions and it's weird to focus only on one specific group like that. Jade and Bianca are stars, Naomi recently got a win over Stratton, Woods has an IC title match tomorrow night, Crews is starting to appear again, Street Profits put on a clinic Fri night, Truth was all over Raw in 2023 and some of 2024, and there's incredible black athletes in NXT. About 70% of the roster could probably be booked better, that's not a black thing, or anti-black thing. Hell, Stratton has been booked horribly as a lackey. Guess Trips hates white blondes with big, fake cans.

Thought Bad Blood was fairly mediocre. HIAC was great and worth remembering though. They knew where the lines were and didn't do anything for extreme shock value as if they were in a Hostel or Saw movie. Fans afterward didn't need to say "I never want to see something like that ever again." We got Rock back and KO finally turned but the rest? Meh.

MVP's tweet about racism I guess got a journalist to ask Triple H about the lack of specifically black men on the show. I just don't like those gotcha questions and it's weird to focus only on one specific group like that. Jade and Bianca are stars, Naomi recently got a win over Stratton, Woods has an IC title match tomorrow night, Crews is starting to appear again, Street Profits put on a clinic Fri night, Truth was all over Raw in 2023 and some of 2024, and there's incredible black athletes in NXT. About 70% of the roster could probably be booked better, that's not a black thing, or anti-black thing. Hell, Stratton has been booked horribly as a lackey. Guess Trips hates white blondes with big, fake cans.
I’ll just leave it at this, it’s been a discussion in the black community for far longer than dating back to those MVP comments and that whole “I don’t see color” comments last night only made things worse.

I’m sure some of yall have seen this but still incredible…

Percy Pringle (Paul Bearer) shares a story of how just days before Christmas in 1990, his car was repossessed, and he was on the verge of bankruptcy until a call to Rick Rude changed his fate:

"It was four days before Christmas, in Dallas, Texas. World Class Championship Wrestling had closed down a couple of years before, and The USWA was ready to move back to Tennessee to make room for the new Global Wrestling Federation at The Sportatorium.

I found myself without a job, and on the verge of bankruptcy. My car had been repossessed, and we didn’t have the money for a Christmas tree, much less presents to put under one. It became painfully hard to look into the eyes of my ten-year old and three-year old sons. I knew in my heart that my wrestling career was over, and it was time to make a drastic change.

I called my friend “Ravishing” Rick Rude, who was working for The WWF at the time. I told Rick exactly what was going on in my life, and that I planned on moving back home to Alabama and go back to work in the funeral industry. He was very sympathetic, and asked me not to make any quick decisions. In fact, Rick told me that he would call me back before the end of the day.

When we talked again a couple of hours later, he said “Vince wants you to call him at home.” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. “Now, let me know what he has to say.” Rick concluded. I immediately fell back onto the sofa, dropping Vince McMahon’s telephone number to the floor. After about twenty minutes, I finally realized that it wasn’t a dream, and gathered the strength to dial Mr. McMahon’s private home number.

“Where have you been all these years?” I remember Vince asking me, and after some small talk he told me that he would certainly like to meet with me after the holidays. The conversation still didn’t solve my Christmas problems, but I did have a sleepless night thinking that I may finally make it to “The Fed”.

Early the next morning, my phone rang, and it was Mr. McMahon’s right hand man, Pat Patterson. Pat wanted to know if I could catch an early afternoon flight to New York, because Vince wanted to see me sooner than expected. Of course, my answer was positive, and he provided the flight information I needed. Things were happening so quickly, I could hardly digest them.

Darkness was falling over the New York skyline as my American Airlines jet made it’s way into John F. Kennedy Airport. As I walked down the jet way, I spotted a well-dressed gentleman holding a card with my name written across it. I identified myself; he took my bag and told me to follow him to my limousine. “Limousine! Hell, I don’t even own a car.” I thought to myself.

I actually felt like I was one of the Beverly Hillbillies as the limo driver took me through New York City and into Connecticut. Finally, we arrived at a majestic five-star hotel in Stamford, where I was whisked away to my penthouse suite. I wasn’t in the room five-minutes before my phone rang, and it was Pat Patterson. “Percy, Vince want to see you at 10 o’clock in the morning.” Pat told me, “I’ll pick you up at 9:45. In the meantime, you can eat, drink, and do anything you want to do. Just sign your name, it’s all courtesy of Titan Sports."

To say that I was nervous is an understatement. I was scared to death, as I entered Vince McMahon’s office the next morning. Which, by the way, was my wedding anniversary, December 22, 1990.

We talked about everything under the sun. It didn’t take long for Vince to make me feel right at home. As he looked over my resume, he began to laugh. I didn’t have a clue what was going on. “You have a degree in Mortuary Science?” Mr. McMahon questioned me, “This is just too much.” Little did I know that they were looking for a manger for The Undertaker, and Vince wasn’t aware that I had a background in Funeral Service, as well as being a wrestling manager. It was a match made in heaven, and when I left Titan Towers, I had a WWF contract in hand.

We made it through the holidays; the WWF contract was a suitable anniversary gift for Dianna and myself. I went on the road in January 1991, as The WWF character known as Paul Bearer, managing The Undertaker."

Reactions: AmericanDragon
Not surprised it was a bad finish…

it was confirmed that the finish to Rhea Ripley vs Liv Morgan was heavily botched, as the actual finish was supposed to see Raquel Rodriguez take out Rhea then put Liv on top for the pin, but Raquel came out a little too early which caused the ref to clearly see her. The referee was forced to call for the disqualification because it was too obvious, but Raquel wasn't aware of that so she still threw Liv on top for the pin.

(Source: Fightful)

The fans understandably groaned at the DQ finish, but kudos to the ref for not entirely insulting our intelligence.

Reactions: AmericanDragon
Not surprised it was a bad finish…

it was confirmed that the finish to Rhea Ripley vs Liv Morgan was heavily botched, as the actual finish was supposed to see Raquel Rodriguez take out Rhea then put Liv on top for the pin, but Raquel came out a little too early which caused the ref to clearly see her. The referee was forced to call for the disqualification because it was too obvious, but Raquel wasn't aware of that so she still threw Liv on top for the pin.

(Source: Fightful)

The fans understandably groaned at the DQ finish, but kudos to the ref for not entirely insulting our intelligence.
I was barely paying attention, but yeah, that was bad bad.

I can’t believe that’s still on - 20 years now?
Is CT still doing it - wasn’t he some sort of undefeated final boss?
They are doing their 40th season over 25 years. This season are 4 teams (past 1-5 years, 6-10 years, 11-15 years, and 16+ years ago). CT was on that last team but got eliminated 2 weeks ago.

I’m sure some of yall have seen this but still incredible…

Percy Pringle (Paul Bearer) shares a story of how just days before Christmas in 1990, his car was repossessed, and he was on the verge of bankruptcy until a call to Rick Rude changed his fate:

"It was four days before Christmas, in Dallas, Texas. World Class Championship Wrestling had closed down a couple of years before, and The USWA was ready to move back to Tennessee to make room for the new Global Wrestling Federation at The Sportatorium.

I found myself without a job, and on the verge of bankruptcy. My car had been repossessed, and we didn’t have the money for a Christmas tree, much less presents to put under one. It became painfully hard to look into the eyes of my ten-year old and three-year old sons. I knew in my heart that my wrestling career was over, and it was time to make a drastic change.

I called my friend “Ravishing” Rick Rude, who was working for The WWF at the time. I told Rick exactly what was going on in my life, and that I planned on moving back home to Alabama and go back to work in the funeral industry. He was very sympathetic, and asked me not to make any quick decisions. In fact, Rick told me that he would call me back before the end of the day.

When we talked again a couple of hours later, he said “Vince wants you to call him at home.” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. “Now, let me know what he has to say.” Rick concluded. I immediately fell back onto the sofa, dropping Vince McMahon’s telephone number to the floor. After about twenty minutes, I finally realized that it wasn’t a dream, and gathered the strength to dial Mr. McMahon’s private home number.

“Where have you been all these years?” I remember Vince asking me, and after some small talk he told me that he would certainly like to meet with me after the holidays. The conversation still didn’t solve my Christmas problems, but I did have a sleepless night thinking that I may finally make it to “The Fed”.

Early the next morning, my phone rang, and it was Mr. McMahon’s right hand man, Pat Patterson. Pat wanted to know if I could catch an early afternoon flight to New York, because Vince wanted to see me sooner than expected. Of course, my answer was positive, and he provided the flight information I needed. Things were happening so quickly, I could hardly digest them.

Darkness was falling over the New York skyline as my American Airlines jet made it’s way into John F. Kennedy Airport. As I walked down the jet way, I spotted a well-dressed gentleman holding a card with my name written across it. I identified myself; he took my bag and told me to follow him to my limousine. “Limousine! Hell, I don’t even own a car.” I thought to myself.

I actually felt like I was one of the Beverly Hillbillies as the limo driver took me through New York City and into Connecticut. Finally, we arrived at a majestic five-star hotel in Stamford, where I was whisked away to my penthouse suite. I wasn’t in the room five-minutes before my phone rang, and it was Pat Patterson. “Percy, Vince want to see you at 10 o’clock in the morning.” Pat told me, “I’ll pick you up at 9:45. In the meantime, you can eat, drink, and do anything you want to do. Just sign your name, it’s all courtesy of Titan Sports."

To say that I was nervous is an understatement. I was scared to death, as I entered Vince McMahon’s office the next morning. Which, by the way, was my wedding anniversary, December 22, 1990.

We talked about everything under the sun. It didn’t take long for Vince to make me feel right at home. As he looked over my resume, he began to laugh. I didn’t have a clue what was going on. “You have a degree in Mortuary Science?” Mr. McMahon questioned me, “This is just too much.” Little did I know that they were looking for a manger for The Undertaker, and Vince wasn’t aware that I had a background in Funeral Service, as well as being a wrestling manager. It was a match made in heaven, and when I left Titan Towers, I had a WWF contract in hand.

We made it through the holidays; the WWF contract was a suitable anniversary gift for Dianna and myself. I went on the road in January 1991, as The WWF character known as Paul Bearer, managing The Undertaker."
That’s a cool story that I hadn’t heard. Never knew he had a shoot background in funeral services. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Wesley91581
HHH might not be perfect but this is refreshing…

CM Punk has said that he had not signed his WWE contract while the Men's WarGames match got underway at Survivor Series 2023. Hence, no one in the company knew that he was coming back that night.

"Me personally? I mean, there could have been [a chance of me backing out] if there were some hard no's to some things in the contracts. But I think both sides were eager. Then you get the lawyers involved, and it's a lot. I get a text, 'We're going to clear the hallway, and we're going to come get you, and we're just going to put you in Triple H's office.' [...] I walk in, sit down, and I'm just in there. They are starting the WarGames match... and I don't have a deal yet."

"I'm sitting in there. The lawyers are going back and forth, hammering stuff out. And Triple H walks in, and he's like, 'If this gets done, we're just gonna wait, and when the time is right, we're gonna bring you in through Gorilla.' And I was like, 'Okay, great.' Contracts get executed, and it's time. Deep breath, open the door, walk through Gorilla... There's so many people in Gorilla," CM Punk said on No-Contest Wrestling.

This is so crazy to think. Vince McMahon would never do this.

I thought the Hell In A Cell match was maybe one of the top five ones WWE's had.
The main event was pretty good, everything in between was MEH.

Raw for tonight

WWE World Heavyweight Champion GUNTHER vs. Sami Zayn.
WWE Intercontinental Champion Jey Uso vs. Xavier Woods.
Sheamus vs. Pete Dunne in a Good Ol Donnybrook.

I thought the Hell In A Cell match was maybe one of the top five ones WWE's had.
The main event was pretty good, everything in between was MEH.

Raw for tonight

WWE World Heavyweight Champion GUNTHER vs. Sami Zayn.
WWE Intercontinental Champion Jey Uso vs. Xavier Woods.
Sheamus vs. Pete Dunne in a Good Ol Donnybrook.
Not interested in those but im sure we will get a good dose of the pure fusion collective too!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT