ADVERTISEMENT

Western NC in need of help!!!

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
I’m surprised I’ve not seen a thread on here about this. The flooding from Helene in the NC Appalachian mountains was historic. Whole towns are just gone. The overall death toll of Helene is now at 225 (and climbing), over half from NC. But they don’t add to the total until a body is found. And there are hundreds (I’ve read between 600 and 2000) people still missing!
IMO it’s his is a bigger disaster than Katrina in N.O., being more widespread, much much more remote. There are places, towns, that haven’t been reached yet, that are isolated. I think the final death toll will be over 500, possibly over 1000.

Please everyone, at least pray for those in Western NC in need, but if you can please consider donating or volunteering. I’m sure there are other legit places to donate that will help them, but the 2 I know are helping are the American Red Cross, and the Cajun Navy.

Last edited:
I was trying to drive down to the coast from Kentucky last weekend. Waze directed me through that area. I went on Twitter and looked up some of the towns in Western KY that Waze wanted me to go to. People were tweeting they couldn't find their family members, that they had no water or food, that they were stuck and trapped. It's not good man. I can't imagine 3 feet of rain falling and rushing through those valleys.

Possible Hurricane Milton forming in the gulf. Tracking right through central FL and predicting a lot of rain to hit in western NC because of it.

• Sad
Reactions: Ron Mehico
FEMA says they are broke. 1.4B to "migrants" will do that for ya. Media is silent because it is an election year and it makes their darling look bad. Travesty all the way around. The stories coming out of that region are horrifying.

Right now they are asking for cash first, then food, water, etc.. Later they need people to donate their time and muscle.

Another difference in Katrina in NOLA and Helene in Western Carolina is that WNC being mountains will be getting cold and snow in just a few weeks

Red Cross does indeed suck
I used to give blood to the RC every 8 weeks. I no longer do that because one of their people that treated me like a criminal because of the prescription drugs I'm on. NO ONE there ever questioned it before except that person. She read me the riot act for trying to give blood. I got up, asked who her supervisor was and their contact information. Despite apologizes from the RC, I haven't been back.

I used to give blood to the RC every 8 weeks. I no longer do that because one of their people that treated me like a criminal because of the prescription drugs I'm on. NO ONE there ever questioned it before except that person. She read me the riot act for trying to give blood. I got up, asked who her supervisor was and their contact information. Despite apologizes from the RC, I haven't been back.
Try Blood Connection then for your bi-monthly donations.

That has to be a spoof. Let's not change the subject.

I'm afraid for those in Western NC that once Milton hits Florida, that they will be forgotten. There are still people there who haven't been reached yet, because they are still inaccessible.

I was trying to drive down to the coast from Kentucky last weekend. Waze directed me through that area. I went on Twitter and looked up some of the towns in Western KY that Waze wanted me to go to. People were tweeting they couldn't find their family members, that they had no water or food, that they were stuck and trapped. It's not good man. I can't imagine 3 feet of rain falling and rushing through those valleys.
They must be all OK in NC because she just bragged about giving 157 Million to Lebanon. (30M to NC). I heard everyone was happy in NC according to some guy named Joe.

Last edited:
Red Cross takes your money but they don't promise it will go to where you want it to go. Most times it doesnt.
My grandfather nearly died because of the red cross.

When he was a child, there was a major flood in Paducah and the red cross came in for disaster management. My great-grandfather told them they could come get some extra provisions that he had stocked up. When they showed up, they took everything. My grandfather said his family has no food, blankets, clothes, etc... leaving them with nothing for the winter. He told me many times how that was the worst few months of his life.

He was always a very charitable man, but would never give a dime to the RC. I've held that stance in his honor.

My grandfather nearly died because of the red cross.

When he was a child, there was a major flood in Paducah and the red cross came in for disaster management. My great-grandfather told them they could come get some extra provisions that he had stocked up. When they showed up, they took everything. My grandfather said his family has no food, blankets, clothes, etc... leaving them with nothing for the winter. He told me many times how that was the worst few months of his life.

He was always a very charitable man, but would never give a dime to the RC. I've held that stance in his honor.
Was your grandfather living in the 1700's?

They must be all OK in NC because she just bragged about giving 157 Million to Lebanon. (30M to NC). I heard everyone was happy in NC according to some guy named Joe.
It's going to take years for full recovery in NC mountains. Whole towns are just gone. I saw something from Newsweek (not Fox or Newsmax) that showed something like 150 Billions was given out for Katrina, 1.5 Billion for Sandy, but so far 100 Million (only 30M to NC, 70M to Florida, and a little to GA, TN & SC).

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
Eerily quiet on here. I'm a little surprised that we don't have more people on here with ties to the affected area to report about it.

i’ll never forget the vet back in e ky who told me when i was a young man that the rc charged soldiers in combat zones for coffee and donuts. don’t remember if ww2 or korea

It's going to take years for full recovery in NC mountains. Whole towns are just gone. I saw something from Newsweek (not Fox or Newsmax) that showed something like 150 Billions was given out for Katrina, 1.5 Billion for Sandy, but so far 100 Million (only 30M to NC, 70M to Florida, and a little to GA, TN & SC).
My one son was born 20 years ago and grew up to be 200 lbs. But my son born last week isnt even 15 pounds. What gives?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT