ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Still trying to catch up on AEW programming but watched Orange Cassidy wrestle against 2 guys in a handicapped match.

Really?
Those weren’t just two guys! Those were the youngest men in the world, Turbo Floyd and Truth Magnum, the Outrunners!

Vaquer looks like she could rip my lungs out and that's the kind of woman I want to watch if we're taking women's wrestling seriously, same with Giulia. Saw a bit of the ole tribalism today by AEW fans. I wish they'd understand TK isn't going to get everyone and if you really have the best roster ever assembled, act like it and stop pining for every new toy. Besides, they'll have Ricochet soon and he's going to kill it there. If it's true WWE had little interest until they saw her against Mone at FD, it's a nice little power move to swoop in and get her. Fans take this side of it too seriously. Mercedes is probably thrilled Vaquer not only got on WWE's radar but signed days after their match.

I also don't get the "being stuck in NXT" stigma from AEW fans. Nearly everyone we're watching/loving in WWE is from NXT and OVW. And is it really that bad? NXT did 656K last night, has an established history of churning out stars and future legends, and you're learning from HBK. Is that so much worse than occasionally appearing on Dynamite which isn't far from NXT ratings wise, or Collision which gets lower ratings than that, or Rampage which gets even lower ratings and is stuck on Fri nights at 10?

Credit where credit is due: Last night’s Dynamite was fantastic. Not much to shit on. Danielson/Page was very good despite the gaga with Jarrett taking over as referee after the ref bump. The global 4-way was a spot fest done well. The ending was excellent.

They’re also smartly maximizing the build to Wembley. Hopefully the card will be filled with meaningful matches and feuds as opposed to the Forbidden Door build , which is throw shit at the wall and see if anything sticks.

I posted a few weeks ago that I really hope they’d let Danielson win the belt at wembley and get a short run until swerve “retires” him in Washington at whatever pay per view they are having up there in a couple month. Danielson needs to have held the title before he goes, at least IMHO.

I still hope that happens.

Reactions: sefus12 and K-mac18
For any of us old school fans, PBS out of North Carolina has done a show about the old Dorton Arena in Raleigh. Hopefully this makes it's way on line at some point. Looks really good.

Better late than never

Dynamite- 691,000 and a .23

I believe the NXT beat them in the demo this week.

Spoiler…

The AEW Trios Titles have been vacated due to an undisclosed injury to Jay White!

This weekend's AEW Collision, taped yesterday, saw the trios Titles vacated. Juice Robinson tried to use the freebird rule to replace Jay, but Christopher Daniels came out and said that won't be allowed, instead announcing that the Bang Bang Bang with Juice Robinson will take on Christian Cage and The Patriarchy at a future date (probably All In) for the titles.

Did I read somewhere that they were looking to add a Women's IC and US Title?

Smackdown for tonight...guessing they will add more stuff because that seems kind of MEH!

Nia Jax vs. Michin.
Baron Corbin & Apollo Crews vs. Angel & Berto.

They signed her. May as well start using her asap!
All those promotions were apparently mad she canceled those dates but if she’s already starting up down there they can only be upset with the short notice but if she was a free agent were they that blindsided wwe would be interested?

Reactions: GeraldV
All those promotions were apparently mad she canceled those dates but if she’s already starting up down there they can only be upset with the short notice but if she was a free agent were they that blindsided wwe would be interested?
I heard AEW and WWE both made some sort of offers. I assume if she chose AEW she’d have finished up her gigs since those outfits work with AEW, but hey, a contract is a contract. If she signed and WWE wants her now, I’d have done the same thing.

I don’t have much sympathy for any of the wrestling companies that treat their employees as independent contractors. If the talent makes a deal they are happy with, good for them. Screw the companies.

I heard AEW and WWE both made some sort of offers. I assume if she chose AEW she’d have finished up her gigs since those outfits work with AEW, but hey, a contract is a contract. If she signed and WWE wants her now, I’d have done the same thing.

I don’t have much sympathy for any of the wrestling companies that treat their employees as independent contractors. If the talent makes a deal they are happy with, good for them. Screw the companies.
Sorry I was about to post something then Jacob fatu crushed 3 people

Fatu is already my favorite person in the WWE.
Yup you don’t often get one of “those guys” but he absolutely fits the bill. I’ll be honest I’ve never seen one of his matches but in the last month since he arrived he’s got the “it factor” and from what people have seen from him before he has a lot more skills to show.

So next week for Dynamite's 250th episode we're getting Swerve vs Okada and Ospreay vs MJF. That's assuming no shenanigans take place. Here's the thing - it's in Little Rock at an arena that holds 18K. The current setup is for 2,698 and they're currently over 500 short of that. So AEW is hotshotting two insane matches that could main event Wembley with a single week's notice for an 18,000 seat arena in Arkansas that likely won't see above 3,000 fans there. Just like Mone getting attacked and then in a couple tv segments soon after, the attacker comes forward, a match happens, Mone wins, and just like that, what could've been a one or two month feud is over in one night, I don't get this booking.

Hate to complain about seeing great matches but like so many times with this company, it feels like empty calories just to pop a decent rating. The seeds of good storylining can be there with those four guys yet the matches are just going to happen Wednesday out of nowhere.

So next week for Dynamite's 250th episode we're getting Swerve vs Okada and Ospreay vs MJF. That's assuming no shenanigans take place. Here's the thing - it's in Little Rock at an arena that holds 18K. The current setup is for 2,698 and they're currently over 500 short of that. So AEW is hotshotting two insane matches that could main event Wembley with a single week's notice for an 18,000 seat arena in Arkansas that likely won't see above 3,000 fans there. Just like Mone getting attacked and then in a couple tv segments soon after, the attacker comes forward, a match happens, Mone wins, and just like that, what could've been a one or two month feud is over in one night, I don't get this booking.

Hate to complain about seeing great matches but like so many times with this company, it feels like empty calories just to pop a decent rating. The seeds of good storylining can be there with those four guys yet the matches are just going to happen Wednesday out of nowhere.
This is Uncle Dave’s rationale behind it - take it for what it’s worth

Reactions: Nightwish84
When Punk was retired, he did a video for a YouTube channel breaking down wrestling scenes from movies. When he got to the hardcore match scene in The Wrestler, he talked about hating those types of matches and not wanting to go on afterward as you may end up wrestling around blood spots on the mat and debris left around the ring area. He and Gunther are old school guys. When fans would rather chant about tables or wrestlers would rather blade because they wanna emulate the Blood from a Stone Austin shirt they wore as teens, I find that refreshing.

I do wanna see Gunther in an old school cage match now though. One where he goes to each side of the cage before the match and shakes the steel bars to test out the strength of the gimmick like it's 1988.

Reactions: Wesley91581
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT