ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Yep. I hate that stuff like Hell in a Cell is just a yearly show now as opposed to being used as part of the story. It’s not very exciting when you know beforehand it’s gonna be a gimmick match just because it’s that month.

Same with AEW. When the Hardys debuted they were immediately in a tables match for no reason other than ‘they Hardy’s are in it’
AEW is doing that now with Anarchy in the Arena and Blood and Guts. The matches end up being good to great so I can’t complain about that aspect, but it just feels the matches get booked because it’s that time of the year instead of naturally progressing to that point.

The Scots put forth a valiant effort but the French are still undefeated. I love the simple three hour, five match cards for these PLE's that aren't the historic big four or whatever.

- Punk eating donuts and mocking fantasy booking at the presser. Says he's cleared but needs confirmation from his doctors first. Will be in Chicago for SD.

- It's almost stunning how quickly that triple threat unraveled after Jade's botch. It is what it is. Liked the result from an emotional standpoint. Both tag divisions are dog shit right now though.

- Gable vs Sami was pure storylining. Gable can now fire these "losers" and get with the Creed Brothers. After SummerSlam I think Gable is IC champ and the Creeds are tag champs. Otis will get his shine too but as the Judgment Day begins falling apart, we're likely getting a legit Alpha Academy without the comedy.

- On Monday night we'll have two guys going nuts: Breakker and McIntyre.
Yup the 3 hours was productive and either set the table for summer feuds (drew/punk) or reset the table for title feuds (Cody etc)

Is CM punk the most divisive superstar possibly of all-time - whether he’s a face or heel there is no middle ground either he is revered or loathed there are not many people completely indifferent to him?

Last edited:
Konusuke Takeshita will be in the NJWP G1 Climax Tournament this year, scheduled to start on July 20. Full list of participants in the spoiler below

And on July 13th in Japan:
  • Iyo Sky vs. Utami Hyashishita in Marigold
  • AJ Styles vs. Naomichi Marufuji in Pro Wrestling NOAH
Block A:
  • Tetsuya Naito
  • Shota Umino
  • Shingo Takagi
  • SANADA
  • Great-O-Khan
  • Zack Sabre Jr.
  • Gabe Kidd
  • EVIL
  • Jake Lee
  • TBA
Block B:
  • Hirooki Goto
  • El Phantasmo
  • Yota Tsuji
  • Jeff Cobb
  • Henare
  • David Finlay
  • Ren Narita
  • Yuya Uemura
  • Konosuke Takeshita
  • TBA
The final Block A and Block B participants will be decided in a tournament that begins during the NJPW Soul tour, ending with the finals at Tokyo Budokan on July 5. The participants in the tournament include:

A Block tournament: Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI, Callum Newman, KENTA, Chase Owens, Yuijiro Takahashi

B Block tournament: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Toru Yano, Oleg Boltin, Satoshi Kojima, Taichi, TJP

Reactions: GeraldV
Thanks for sharing, will have to give that a watch this afternoon. ECW was a great eye opener to indie wrestling and the world of wrestling outside of WCW and WWE.

I know people like to shit on indie wrestling as a whole, but nearly every current wrestler in the American Top 2 promotions either started their career in the indies or have worked extensively in the indies.

And AEW could stand to learn a lot from ECW. I know TK always talks about how AEW is a challenger brand but that isn’t how they should be operating as, in my opinion.

Even though the Khan family is one of the richest families on the planet, AEW isn’t trying to be a general entertainment product that appeals to the masses like WWE, and they shouldn’t be. No one wants that, and the time it would take to try to replicate WWE’s infrastructure and breadth of product offering would take decades. And that’s what it takes to be a challenger brand, which is what AEW is trying to be.

But they shouldn’t. They need to be like ECW - a disrupter brand. No one is really occupying that space in wrestling and the Khan family has more than enough money to be able to do it well. ECW is the single greatest example of a disrupter brand to ever exist in wrestling, but it never had the money to last long term.

ROH always had potential to emerge as an ECW level disrupter brand but it too never had the money because Sinclair always cut the legs out from under them. And then that wrestling mark (and I mean that in a good way) HHH took over NXT and made the NXT Black and Gold era basically WWE ROH.

With the money the Khans have, the national TV exposure, and the roster AEW has been able to assemble, they should be taking taking a lot of what made ECW great and adapting it for modern times while merging it with the in-ring quality that put ROH on the map.

If they did that they could be cooking as a #2. There’s always space for niche disrupter products in the entertainment sphere and they can be wildly successful.

Didn't get the see the show on Saturday but Cody and AJ both bled? Guess that's a thing again.
Not sure what the problem was with the ropes.

Big shock Punk will be on Smackdown Friday night when they are in Chicago.

Raw for this evening

The fallout of Clash at the Castle.
Dragon Lee vs. Carlito
Xavier Woods vs. Karrion Kross.
The QR Code reveal?

Money In The Bank Qualifying Matches

Zelina Vega vs. Kiana James vs. IYO SKY.
Jey Uso vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Finn Balor.

AEW needs captivating storytelling across the board. That doesn't mean begin every show with 20 min. promos like Raw, but give the viewer more than chaotic randomness. "Eating good tonight" doesn't translate to more fans when you're being fed empty calories. I made a list several months ago on how AEW could improve and of course nothing has changed but I'll go through some of these again:

1) Take control and be a man. In other words, don't be afraid to say no because you're a mark fan and think you'll hurt a wrestler's feelings. Letting Jericho have four segments on a two hour show is insane, as is allowing a 50 year old to fall from 15+ ft., breaking his leg. Some fans said, "How can TK tell Copeland, an experienced vet and legend, no?" HE'S THE GD BOSS AND OWNER. JUST SAY NO. AEW isn't Copeland's company last I checked. Tony is afraid to stand up to his heroes. That's a huge issue. Maybe it's why he hugs them so tightly and places his head against their chests. You're an adult, shake a hand and stop acting like you're a child meeting Santa.

2) Have a roster split, even if it's through social media. Most fans want to know who is working what show every week. It's uniform and simplistic. For ten weeks, wrestler X will be on four Dynamites, two Collisions, one Rampage, and off tv completely for the remaining three weeks. That's sloppy and confusing. It leads to even hardcore fans asking, "Where's he?", "Where's she?"

3) End the rankings. Punk convinced TK to stop because this isn't football. Once he was fired, TK brought them back and within two weeks wasn't using them again. They haven't been updated in months and randoms get title matches out of nowhere. I don't care if you're 5-1 on butt trash Rampage, that doesn't mean you get a title shot on the A show now.

There's more but it's not like any of it matters. AEW has actually done really well despite Tony and some of the wrestlers he's chosen to listen to. They're just not "cool" anymore. MJF isn't cool like The Rock or Roman. Neither is Moxley. The Bucks and Perry are lame. The world champion was an afterthought for weeks because of a take over storyline that fans have ran away from. Guys like The Acclaimed went from white hot to ice cold. They could've been a version of The New Age Outlaws for a new generation. God bless, there's just so much more but I've already written a novel here.

Reactions: Blueisbest
Rollins vs Priest for the title with Gunther waiting at SummerSlam?
A separation of Alpha Academy and now Gable is alone?
Sheamus vs Breakker for number one contendership of the IC title?
Drew quitting, proving 1) Punk broke him and 2) maybe he's not so different from Punk after all? This while walking away from Triple H in the back after HHH talked at the presser about how happy he is Punk is back.

Damn.

Reactions: Wesley91581
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT