ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Well it looks like NightWish wasn't too far off with his guess on the ratings.

672,000 and a .23- While they did beat everything that wasn't NBA or NHL Playoffs, that isn't good.

Another interesting thing, during the summer they are doing a "residency" in Texas for a few weeks for Collision and a ROH PPV.

I’d like to see Dom and Scottie Scheffler as a tag team at next years mania. 2 hardened criminals that shouldn’t be messed with
danny mcbride m GIF

Bro! Swerve should be flashing his cock everywhere. He’s a black guy. He’s hung. Have you seen the internet lately? All the guys love watching big black cocks! No won wants to watch ‘good guys’ vs ‘bad guys’. It’s crash tv. Let’s put them on the Collision Bus and do matches where they wrestle girls that are just randomly walking down the street

Bro! Swerve should be flashing his cock everywhere. He’s a black guy. He’s hung. Have you seen the internet lately? All the guys love watching big black cocks! No won wants to watch ‘good guys’ vs ‘bad guys’. It’s crash tv. Let’s put them on the Collision Bus and do matches where they wrestle girls that are just randomly walking down the street
Just think of what Russo could do with the Bang Bang Gang.

I just rewatched the dark side of the ring about bash at the beach 2000. Russo, who still claims everything went exactly to script, thinks that was a good idea. He’s laughing about how right he was about his booking and how everyone on the internet loved it. 😐

Indie philosophy states that every match must be 50/50 because when both wrestlers are equal, the match goes longer, more moves are applied, and thus...BaNgEr! From a records pov Ospreay is elite. His record in '24 is 8-0, overall 16-3. He'll win the world title with an overall loss record of less than 7 imo. His matches right now should be 75/25 or 70/30. Nobody gives a single shit about Shane Taylor or about 70% of the other wrestlers under Tony's carny tent. TK's booking is either 50/50 or 95/5, like during Jade and Wardlow's runs.

Presentation wise, Ospreay should be booked like Gunther. His matches are usually 70/30 or if he's facing someone a bit better, 60/40. Anyway you slice it, Gunther is presented as an elite talent who rarely loses. Imagine Gunther vs Kofi and it being 50/50 and 18 min. long. That's ridiculous. How many weeks in a row did we get the same Cassidy match to start the show? And every week that match ended at 8:17ish. After about seven weeks of this, quarter ratings showed fans began tuning out. None of this matters to the hardcore fan though. I read the responses on reddit. AEW fans usually talk in trendy phrases. "We're eating good tonight, boys!" "Ospreay and Fletcher will cook!" "Banger!" "Show of the year!" (Apparently every other show is show of the year). Hey, I'm glad they love it but imo none of it makes a lick of sense and it's one reason why wrestling fans are tuning out in droves.

Uncle Dave is on twitter way too much…

Oh look, Meltzer is crying about WWE again!

Here's what he said about Tiffany Stratton. "Basically if this was someone who wasn’t a star they’d be fired instantly. Lots of fans sent the video on X to Paul Levesque so it was a pretty significant situation."

I can't imagine sending a link to a video to Triple H's twitter account and essentially saying "look what she posted! Punish her!" Couple that with the rage against Cornette, which lead to the rage against Adam Pierce, which lead to rage against Samantha Irvin and I can't take these people seriously. Also wanting Triple H fired for Vince's crimes too.

The social media stuff gets handled internally unless it's something pretty unforgivable. Sheamus recently tweeted a comparison between Hitler and Gunther without naming either. It was dumb but it was quickly deleted. I'm sure he was immediately told, "We're not playing the compare game between one of our heels and Adolf Hitler in 2024. Delete that and be smarter." I'm pretty sure Stratton, Jade, and Bianca talked it out and HHH reminded his wrestlers to be careful before hitting send. The "enjoy all wrestling" toxic positivity crowd tries to play part internet mob so they can shit and fall back in it. If you're trying to cancel people in your spare time then you're probably not happy with your own life.

Wanted to actually take a page from one of the AEW fan reddits. There's a thread asking who's the best and worst ex-WWE signings.

Best - Moxley. Dean Ambrose could've been so much more in WWE, a Brian Pillman for this generation. But for whatever reason, Vince wanted the goofiness, so we got Dean the Clown. In AEW, he brought edge, shaved his dumb hair from his WWE days, bulked up, and got serious on the mic. Granted, issues are still there. The cheesy ECW/backyard shit, the constant blood, the goofy barbed wire, etc. But at the end of the day, Moxley>Ambrose and it's not close. Plus Renee followed and she's always been legit good at her various jobs.

Worst - if you guessed most AEW fans would choose Punk because he's become everything they hate and apparently AEW's continued slide is soley because of Mr. CM, you'd be mostly correct. I'm going with Miro though. The potential has always been there but I don't understand his time in AEW. Injuries, personal issues, marital problems, refusing to lose (?), and every time his former wife got involved, it deteriorated into some sort of weird cuck storyline. And now he's just not there with no explanation given. Brock Lesnar works more than gd Miro at this point.

For me best would be Jericho, Moxley and Punk. They did their highest ratings and some of their most attended shows while Punk was there, he has to be on the list.

Worst- Andrade and Saraya.

Compared to last week Saturday's Collision was Meh. It wasn't live they taped everything Thursday night.

Raw for this evening.

WWE Intercontinental Champion Sami Zayn vs. Chad Gable in a non-title match.
Queen of the Ring Semi-Final: Lyra Valkyria vs. IYO SKY.
King of the Ring Semi-Final: GUNTHER vs. Jey Uso.

Reactions: Nightwish84
Uncle Dave is on twitter way too much…

Oh look, Meltzer is crying about WWE again!

Here's what he said about Tiffany Stratton. "Basically if this was someone who wasn’t a star they’d be fired instantly. Lots of fans sent the video on X to Paul Levesque so it was a pretty significant situation."
How many times did Meltzer send the video to Paul?

Reactions: AmericanDragon
Realistically, the best signing very well could be Punk but I'm a mark for the guy so I wanted to go in another direction. Saraya and Andrade are solid choices but I never saw main event with either. I don't believe there was a plan for them, just Tony wanting to sign former names. Even in WWE, Andrade is just hanging around but I guess it's good for Charlotte if her husband is employed by the same company. Saraya? Like Miro, I don't get what's going on there and AEW won't say. She's just there, like a little busty goth ghost, not doing a damn thing.

Realistically, the best signing very well could be Punk but I'm a mark for the guy so I wanted to go in another direction. Saraya and Andrade are solid choices but I never saw main event with either. I don't believe there was a plan for them, just Tony wanting to sign former names. Even in WWE, Andrade is just hanging around but I guess it's good for Charlotte if her husband is employed by the same company. Saraya? Like Miro, I don't get what's going on there and AEW won't say. She's just there, like a little busty goth ghost, not doing a damn thing.
To be fair to Saraya didn’t she get a short run with the belt so at least there was that.

Forgot about her being champion and it did happen at Wembley, so there is that.

Fightful is reporting Mark Henry's AEW deal is up at the end of the month. He's been awfully positive toward WWE recently on Busted Open I bet he's getting a Legends Deal and heading back to the E.

Really appreciate your analysis but what motivation does WBD have considering bbt draws a million viewers and they can just play 2 more hours of that on a Wednesday instead of a show that can’t break 800k viewers?
Live entertainment and first run content has much higher ad rates than syndicated repeats, which means much revenue opportunity. Only reason the syndicated repeats exist is because they are generally dirt cheap compared to live entertainment and first run content. Risk is much lower with syndicated repeats, but the ceiling is pretty limited.

Same reason why Fox News gets a ton of viewers but their ad slots are cheap as hell.

Last edited:
The CW Network announced their schedule for next season. NXT will be remaining on Tuesday nights running from 8-10 pm. Had forgotten that's where they were airing starting in September.

Thought Dynamite was one of the better shows they've had in a while. Darby wasn't who I was expecting for the final Team AEW guy, but it makes sense.
I wasn't expecting Darby either, was very much surprised and happy. Love that guy. Thought he would be out longer with a broken foot and after getting hit by a bus lol. He just broke that foot on March 13! I swear that guy is like Wolverine.

Feel bad for anyone who finds entertainment value in that^.
Only an inbred neckbeard would find a neckbeard account entertaining, but alas we're talking the guy who produces racist wrestling caricatures for a cuckold racist in Jim Cornette so it's not particularly surprising.

Reactions: GeraldV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT