ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

So where does Drew go now? Get a match against Priest and win it there? If he’s not going to get a legit title run, he should take the AEW money and bounce.
Some people haven’t even confirmed he’s re-signed yet and it’d be up pretty soon.

Hell yeah. I wanted Priest to be the first champion instead of Rollins. Now Rollins can rest, we can see if Priest has it in him to lead Raw, and a ton of gas has just been poured onto the Punk/Drew feud, which never needed a title. Brillant, chaotic, and fun booking right off the bat.

Hell yeah. I wanted Priest to be the first champion instead of Rollins. Now Rollins can rest, we can see if Priest has it in him to lead Raw, and a ton of gas has just been poured onto the Punk/Drew feud, which never needed a title. Brillant, chaotic, and fun booking right off the bat.
Just think Drew has earned a title run at this point, though I don’t expect Priest to have the belt for too long.

Reactions: Nightwish84
Just think Drew has earned a title run at this point, though I don’t expect Priest to have the belt for too long.
He does but I'm not sure he's re-signed. I think we'd know if he has because Cody for example just re-signed and mentioned it. I think Drew's current deal ran through WM so he still got his moment and maybe now he and WWE can negotiate. He's proven in recent months that whatever a few of the top guys are getting, he deserves that as well.

Reactions: sefus12
He does but I'm not sure he's re-signed. I think we'd know if he has because Cody for example just re-signed and mentioned it. I think Drew's current deal ran through WM so he still got his moment and maybe now he and WWE can negotiate. He's proven in recent months that whatever a few of the top guys are getting, he deserves that as well.
Agree 100%. And the crowd still loves him even as WWE has tried to make him heel. Guy is just good.

I disagree! I think Drew/Punk needed a title and Punk would have laid down which would have pushed Drew as Champ.

I didn’t know about his contract situation though so good for Priest.

That championship match was perfect. Only thing
That would have made it better was SCSA hitting a stone cold stunner on the Rock instead of Undertaker hitting a choke slam.

Reactions: sefus12
No Austin is a bummer. That was set up perfectly for him to return and stun Rock. Great night two though. The trios street fight didn't matter but Snoop on commentary made it entertaining. The triple threat match was fun, Iyo and Bayley was incredible, the main event was wacky and enjoyable and starting it all off with the Drew/Punk/Priest stuff was great. They mic'd the crowd a lot better tonight too. Seth has been booked like a chump the last few months but like I said, he can take time off and come back recharged with perhaps a new gimmick. He can't go back to the crazy wardrobe thing when like 7 guys have mocked him for it.

Priest, Cody, Rhea, Bayley...solid start to the Levesque Era with the book closed on Vince for good.

Bum ass Priest winning was garbage - for the record I’ve never liked him even dating back to his time in ROH. I’m biased, sue me.

Philly street fight could have been a Smackdown match

Everything else good to great (except Styles-Knight). Main event was the overbooked mess - in a good way - it needed to be.

And lastly, thank god the tyranny of Roman Reigns as champ is over.

I know Coach Cal took the attention away from WrestleMania :) ...

Great booking. It was worth a year wait for Cody to do it this way. Almost a near perfect WrestleMania IMO. Triple H took some heat for some booking, but I think he pointed the ship in the right direction tonight.

For as awful as Vince is as a person and what he became decision and storyline wise in his company, it was apparently his call to have Reigns beat Cody last year. From there, it was a year long redemption tour of Cody winning feuds and beating half the guys on the Raw side as the Bloodline did their thing on the SD side. Turns out, Vince got that one right. In April '23, I couldn't imagine waiting out another year of Roman but it ended up working and Rock involved enhanced everything and put a mainstream spotlight on the story. And for as much back and forth we wrestling fans do online about WWE and AEW, Cody was in both places and I'm sure every wrestler in both companies waited for this moment and watched tonight. He's the one guy who deserved this and you saw it tonight. Punk, Samantha Irvin, Michael Cole, Rollins, etc. were practically crying for the guy.

For as awful as Vince is as a person and what he became decision and storyline wise in his company, it was apparently his call to have Reigns beat Cody last year. From there, it was a year long redemption tour of Cody winning feuds and beating half the guys on the Raw side as the Bloodline did their thing on the SD side. Turns out, Vince got that one right. In April '23, I couldn't imagine waiting out another year of Roman but it ended up working and Rock involved enhanced everything and put a mainstream spotlight on the story. And for as much back and forth we wrestling fans do online about WWE and AEW, Cody was in both places and I'm sure every wrestler in both companies waited for this moment and watched tonight. He's the one guy who deserved this and you saw it tonight. Punk, Samantha Irvin, Michael Cole, Rollins, etc. were practically crying for the guy.
It did work out but I’m not sure we get The Rock like we did if all the stuff with VKM doesn’t happen. The Rock had his mini return to help shift the focus from the legal issues to the product in the ring and it worked. If VKM is still around, Cody may have still finished his story but we don’t have anything like we had last night.

On a side note, I hope they bring back the winged eagle belt for Cody since that’s the one he said he’s always wanted.

Mark Briscoe wins the ROH title on the anniversary of his brother Jay winning it

Danielson finally gets to wrestle Blue Panther in a singles match, a match he has dream of for nearly 30 years

Cody wins the title/the tyranny of Reigns as champ is over

John Calipari gets fired

Matt Hardy declines to re-sign with AEW

Hell of a weekend right there.

Reactions: GeraldV
Didn’t get to watch very much because I’m visiting my parents. But the end of the main event last night was pretty much perfect. Throwing that much stuff out there could have easily been a disaster

Reactions: Col. Angus
The Undertaker man.

If he had been decked out in full gear it would’ve been epic. Still pretty clear.

It did work out but I’m not sure we get The Rock like we did if all the stuff with VKM doesn’t happen. The Rock had his mini return to help shift the focus from the legal issues to the product in the ring and it worked. If VKM is still around, Cody may have still finished his story but we don’t have anything like we had last night.

On a side note, I hope they bring back the winged eagle belt for Cody since that’s the one he said he’s always wanted.
It would've gone two ways imo - Rock comes back and fans are ignored and we got Rock/Roman or Rock comes back and helps Cody win night two, setting up Rock/Roman for 41. With Nick Khan there, Rock was coming back regardless (just wouldn't have gotten Final Boss heel Rock with him on the board). I don't know how Vince feels about Cody. He gave him the spot last year but didn't pull the trigger and he always relied on past stars so he wouldn't have resisted Rock taking that spot too.

Regarding the belt, I doubt it happens. WWE is passing out their replica current title to athletes and championship teams like it's candy on Halloween and they rarely go backwards with stuff like past titles. They just introduced the title Cody now has last year when Roman hit 1000 days. I think that massive W front and center is here to stay.

Mark Briscoe wins the ROH title on the anniversary of his brother Jay winning it

Danielson finally gets to wrestle Blue Panther in a singles match, a match he has dream of for nearly 30 years

Cody wins the title/the tyranny of Reigns as champ is over

John Calipari gets fired

Matt Hardy declines to re-sign with AEW

Hell of a weekend right there.
Don’t forget Zayn ended Gunther’s reign.

Wanna just say how amazing Samantha Irvin is. I don't know if I read it here or elsewhere but she wants to be left in the dark on finishes and surprise appearances because she's a fan and wants her announcing to be emotionally-driven. There's a clip of her practically falling out of her chair with surprise and excitement when Rock's music hit in January and on both days of WM her voice cracked announcing Sami and Cody as new champions because she was so elitated. Maybe for some that's not professional and you'd never get that emotion with Finkel (who was incredible as well) but I personally love it. She seemed legitimately choked up when Cody had won.

Wanna just say how amazing Samantha Irvin is. I don't know if I read it here or elsewhere but she wants to be left in the dark on finishes and surprise appearances because she's a fan and wants her announcing to be emotionally-driven. There's a clip of her practically falling out of her chair with surprise and excitement when Rock's music hit in January and on both days of WM her voice cracked announcing Sami and Cody as new champions because she was so elitated. Maybe for some that's not professional and you'd never get that emotion with Finkel (who was incredible as well) but I personally love it. She seemed legitimately choked up when Cody had won.
Agree 100%. There’s a video of her doing the announcement after Cody won and you can tell she is legit fighting back tears.

When he told Pritchard to come out last night, at first I thought Pritchard was carrying something. I thought he was bringing out a version of the winged eagle title.

I’ve been on vacation and haven’t seen any WM results (besides Cody). Just looking at them. Don’t have a big issue with any except Zayn and Priest winning titles. Big ehhhhhhs on those two.

Reactions: AmericanDragon
I’ve been on vacation and haven’t seen any WM results (besides Cody). Just looking at them. Don’t have a big issue with any except Zayn and Priest winning titles. Big ehhhhhhs on those two.
Zayn won becaust Gunther is moving to the main event level and chasing the world/universal title. Priest cashed in because Drew still doesn't have a new contract and his expires soon (if it didn't at Wrestlemania).

Reactions: AmericanDragon
Been out of the loop for a few days and starting to get caught up.
"So what do you want to talk about??"

Thought Cody's win was great, it was so overbooked and I loved every minute of it.
With Sami winning is Gunther now going to be Cody's first opponent?

Was this the best WM of all-time? Many folks seem to think so. I'll have to actually go back and watch all of it.

Switching to AEW what is the actual purpose of showing this security video? Or is it some Young Buckery? Just let it go already.

My only problem with her is sometimes it feels like she is trying to get herself over instead of the talent.

I’m fine with Zayn, Priest isn’t top champ material though. They need to get that title off of him soon.

Been out of the loop for a few days and starting to get caught up.
"So what do you want to talk about??"

Thought Cody's win was great, it was so overbooked and I loved every minute of it.
With Sami winning is Gunther now going to be Cody's first opponent?

Was this the best WM of all-time? Many folks seem to think so. I'll have to actually go back and watch all of it.

Switching to AEW what is the actual purpose of showing this security video? Or is it some Young Buckery? Just let it go already.
Night 1 was pretty mid, night 2 was great though.

As far as the security video, if Punk would have just kept his mouth shut and WWE wouldn’t have been throwing shots at AEW all week (along with the media they pay off) like a jealous scorned lover, then the video never sees the light of day.

My only problem with her is sometimes it feels like she is trying to get herself over instead of the talent.
I can see that but I think she's genuine. Whenever she announced Reigns before a title match, he'd walk forward swaying that big ass belt and smiling and it just added to the big match feel of it all. Fink is the goat and Garcia was great, both pros. I think Irvin is a mix of pro and fan and on emotional nights like last night when the entire wrestling world was watching, it just clicks imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT