ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

According to PwInsider they are going to film content for a Jay Briscoe tribute show after they finish Dynamite and Rampage.

Reactions: Fast3ddy
NJPW last Thursday at 10PM on AXS, featuring the Will Ospreay vs. Kenny Omega Wrestle Kingdom 17 match was watched by 81,000 viewers on average, measuring 19,000 viewers aged 18-49, for a 0.01 rating.

They beat Impact that aired in primetime on the same night by 3,000 viewers.

This is the first time New Japan’s viewership on AXS TV has ever equaled Impact’s numbers on the same night.

New Japan has never before exceeded or equaled Impact in P18-49 either, as it did Thursday night.

The Jay Briscoe Celebration of Life that was filmed after Dynamite last night will be shared free worldwide on ROH YouTube & on HonorClub in the near future.
For those wondering, Warner Media / Discovery would not allow AEW to do a tribute on tv.

But yet they are ok with Dana White's new show airing. Anyway
Dana white was just showing his wife what equality looks like. A slap for a slap. Jay Briscoe put out A TWEET all those years ago… who gives a shit. Honestly, who cares.

Reactions: UKWildcatT
Dana white was just showing his wife what equality looks like. A slap for a slap. Jay Briscoe put out A TWEET all those years ago… who gives a shit. Honestly, who cares.

It’s so dumb. He was doing kayfabe. He apologized and donated 2 shows worth of money to an anti hate group. MJF stays in kayfabe and everyone loves it

Greatest Royal Rumble ever.

Wall Street Journal is reporting Crazy Grandpa reached a settlement with former referee Rita Chatterton. She sued him for 11.75 million but pay out was less than that.

Reactions: Fast3ddy
Tony Khan should treat that Jay Briscoe memorial show ban as the final straw to end his undying loyalty to WBD.
  1. Didn't want to shop ROH around because of the loyalty to WBD. What does that get him regarding ROH? No ROH TV show.
  2. WBD always wanting him to promote WBD content in some lame gimmick stuff on AEW TV. What does that get him? Nothing good. Benefitted WBD but didn't benefit AEW at all. What's WBD doing to get some cross promotional stuff going for AEW? Seemingly nothing.
  3. WBD didn't want to feature them at whatever the event is called that's a big deal for all the networks to get advertising deals for their content despite being WBD's second most watched basic cable TV franchise, only being surpassed by live sports. What did that get AEW? Very likely much less advertising money.
  4. WBD run by a bunch of ****ing morons that think voluntarily not renewing their NBA contract could be a good idea. What does that get AEW? Less opportunities for their show to be advertised on what is amongst the most watched, if not THE most watched, non-football content on TV every week.
  5. WBD blackballs the Briscoes from appearing and competing on AEW TV and PPVs as well as a memorial show for Jay. What does AEW get out of that? A worse product and the fans get to miss out on what would have been some of the best wrestling content you would have ever seen.
I could probably go on and on if I really put some thought into it.

TK and Shahid Khan should privately say **** WBD and aggressively shop their TV rights this year. If he can get someone to make a good offer, which I imagine they could because Dynamite normally beats everything but live sports during its time slot, then he has WBD by the balls. If no one bites and WBD is the only one to make an offer, well then so be it.

I feel like the relationship was pretty good between the two before the Discovery ****heads had to come in and **** up everything. With the turmoil at WBD ever since the two companies merge, I think he definitely has to take a long hard look at the bigger picture and face the fact that long term, WBD might not be the best media partner to have.

Reactions: CrittendenWildcat
Granted, I was a big fan of Jackass in my teens and have no problem watching Over the Top to this day, but regarding Dana White's douchebag slap show, that sounds like some Vince Russo shit that would've aired on that goofy "NETWORK FOR MEN GRRR" Spike TV channel back in the day.
Apparently it only drew 257K viewers. Dynamite drew 969K. That's almost a 75% drop from the lead-in. Guarantee that number drops next week after all the people who watched it and realized it's dumb as hell down watch it again. This slap fight league getting canceled, I'd imagine.

I wanna make sure we're all clear, Dana did not create power slap. This has been a huge sensation over in Eastern Europe for awhile now and even small leagues circulating through the states. He said he saw some stuff on youtube and found a video with like 350mil views. He was intrigued by this and wanted to start his own company.

Apparently it only drew 257K viewers. Dynamite drew 969K. That's almost a 75% drop from the lead-in. Guarantee that number drops next week after all the people who watched it and realized it's dumb as hell down watch it again. This slap fight league getting canceled, I'd imagine.
I remembered wrong, it was 295K. An ROH show airing immediately after Dynamite would do a whole lot more than 295K

Reactions: GeraldV
I've seen him wearing Ja Morant jerseys but as Martinsm said no UK stuff

Smackdown for tonight

Contract Signing: Roman Reigns vs. Kevin Owens at Royal Rumble.
WWE Smackdown Tag Team Championship Top Contender's Tournament Round One: Sheamus & Drew McIntyre vs. The Viking Raiders.
WWE Smackdown Tag Team Championship Top Contender's Tournament Round One: Imperium's Ludwig Kaiser & Giovanni Vinci vs. The Brawling Brutes' Ridge Holland & Butch.

And over on Rampage

Jungle Boy vs. Ethan Page.
Action Andretti vs. Daniel Garcia.
Brian Cage vs. Willie Mack.
Jade Cargill & Leila Grey competing.
Eddie Kingston and Ortiz to appear.

That video is edited heavily in favor of Okada. This video shows the more even back-and-forth between Okada and Kiyomiya, and shows it is more work than shoot:

Saw the police report and indeed Jay Briscoe wasn't wearing a seat belt.

Raw is XXX for this evening.

Becky Lynch vs. Bayley in a steel cage match.
Sami Zayn enters the Bloodline's Tribal Court.
WWE Raw Tag Team Champions The Usos vs. The Judgement Day.
WWE United States Champion Austin Theory vs. Bobby Lashley.
Lots of Legends appearing.

According to PwInsider...
Originally there was to be a Bloodline Acknowledgment Ceremony that would include a number of members of that dynasty's past generations, including WWE Hall of Famers Afa, Sika and Rikishi as well as former Samoan SWAT Team and Headshrinkers member Samu appearing.
However after Smackdown it became the Tribal Court.

As of this weekend AEW has distributed around 4,800 tickets for Wednesday night. (Credit Wrestle Tix)

I was willing to give Raw a try.

Opening segment was legit

Didn't care for redneck Undertaker. The worst version of Undertaker. Bray sucks and always will. But I get it at least, it advanced the story they are working with. I just don't personally like it.

Then the steel cage "match" came and passed and I quit after that. Hope do they hype up and advertise that as much as they did only to have it basically not happen? Imagine being the ring crew that had to spend all that time constructing the cage. Took longer to lower the cage than for the "match" to take. ****ing bullshit.

Reactions: GeraldV
Sami was first, so I couldn’t think of a reason to keep watching after his segment and match.

No Austin, Foley or Rock (I figured he'd be a long shot)? I didn't mind the Undertaker. I was hyped about DX but it was stupid. Poor Kurt looks like someone shrunk his arms. They look shorter. Could we not just see Flair without having to see Charlotte?
Theory does absolutely nothing for me. Only reason I even left it on for that match was to see if anyone came out. Just Brock.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT