ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Having watched Impact for the first time in long time there was one major thing that stuck out about that show that made it almost unwatchable...

Josh Mathews

I had forgotten how terrible he is.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
I like the idea, but....

Territories required cooperation. To the extent that if someone ran a show in Dallas, they had to give Fritz a cut. The one thing that brought the territories together was the traveling champ. That broke down a time or two in Puerto Rico (title changes not recognized).

I didn't take Khan as heelish in the promo, but loved the "I could buy Impact" line.

I also think that this is dangerous as there is little chance fans will be 100% satisfied with the way it plays out. They're going to be vocal too.

ROH Final Battle takes place Dec. 18 on pay-per-view.

Check out the current ROH Final Battle 2020 card below:

• Rush (c) vs. Brody King – for ROH World Championship
  • Jonathan Gresham (c) vs. Flip Gordon – for ROH Pure Championship
  • The Foundation (Jay Lethal and Jonathan Gresham) (c) vs. Mark Briscoe and PCO – for ROH Tag Team Championship
  • Dragon Lee (c) vs. Four Way Match winner – for ROH TV Championship
  • The OGK (Matt Taven and Mike Bennett) vs. The Righteous (Vincent and Bateman)
  • MexiSquad (Bandido, Flamita and Rey Horus) (c) vs. Shane Taylor Promotions (Kaun, Moses and Shane Taylor) – for ROH Six-Man Tag Team Championship
  • Brian Johnson vs. Danhausen – Danhausen gets a ROH contract if he wins
  • EC3 vs. Jay Briscoe
  • Fred Yehi & Wheeler Yuta vs. The Foundation (Tracy Williams and Rhett Titus) – pure rules tag team match
  • Tony Deppen vs. LSG vs. Josh Woods vs. Dak Draper – winner gets a ROH TV title shot later in the show

Looks like Goldberg just challenged Roman to a title match, oh boy.

Saw where Impact set on line viewing records last night.

Reactions: Col. Angus
Just watched the Omega/Impact segment, pretty good. Callis is great. I’m interested in where they go with this, Omega collecting belts could be fun. I’m guessing this somehow leads to Omega/Okada in the US.

Glad someone made this graphic showing was on Dynamite tonight, that's a lot to type

NXT has Finn Balor starting the show
Ember Moon vs. Raquel Gonzalez
Ciampa vs. Grimes

For the first time I can remember Impact was on the cable chart last night.

221,000 viewers and finished 96th in the 18-49. with a 0.08 rating.

Almost got that million this week

AEW- 995,000- 2nd in the 18-49 with a .45 and first in 18-49 males with .57- almost two tenths higher than any cable show last night.

NXT- 659,000- 37th in the 18-49 with a .17 rating- NXT did win the over 50 demo

GGG- 672,000- 22nd in the 18-49 with a .20 rating

It STINGS a bit falling just short of a million by 5k but it’ll happen soon.

I think the Wednesday war is over. AEW has been trending up for months and nxt has been going down for months. Swallow your pride and move it Vince.

I guess Kenny Omega is the true Demo God. 😎😏

So what is the plan for Orange Cassidy? Guy has lost a lot of matches but rarely loses clean. Do they keep him propped up for a run at the TNT Title?

Reactions: Fast3ddy
Impact’s number comes from the live showing, and replay on AXS, and live and replay streaming within 24 hours on Twitch, Facebook, and YouTube.

NXT’s number comes from the live showing on USA.

It STINGS a bit falling just short of a million by 5k but it’ll happen soon.

I think the Wednesday war is over. AEW has been trending up for months and nxt has been going down for months. Swallow your pride and move it Vince.

I guess Kenny Omega is the true Demo God. 😎😏
Since AEW has conquered Wednesday nights, they should move Dynamite to Mondays so they compete with Raw and finally put Vince out of business.

Reactions: Lexie's Dad
Since AEW has conquered Wednesday nights, they should move Dynamite to Mondays so they compete with Raw and finally put Vince out of business.
That's a Vince move. He's the Richard so hellbent on total domination that he scheduled PPV's to compete with AEW, threw NXT on TV to compete with AEW on Wednesday nights, overpaid marginal wrestlers in an effort to keep AEW from filling out their roster, etc. AEW has weathered everything Vince threw at them and done quite well, so some gloating does feel justified.

Having said that, short-term WWE better hope and pray that Dynamite doesn't move to Mondays. Sure, AEW's ratings would suffer, but I guarantee WWE RAW ratings would immediately drop at least 20% with a commensurate drop in stock price, and their shareholders would raise all sorts of hell.

Long term, though, I could see the competition elevating both and drawing greater ratings for both a la the Monday Night Wars.

That's a Vince move. He's the Richard so hellbent on total domination that he scheduled PPV's to compete with AEW, threw NXT on TV to compete with AEW on Wednesday nights, overpaid marginal wrestlers in an effort to keep AEW from filling out their roster, etc. AEW has weathered everything Vince threw at them and done quite well, so some gloating does feel justified.

Having said that, short-term WWE better hope and pray that Dynamite doesn't move to Mondays. Sure, AEW's ratings would suffer, but I guarantee WWE RAW ratings would immediately drop at least 20% with a commensurate drop in stock price, and their shareholders would raise all sorts of hell.

Long term, though, I could see the competition elevating both and drawing greater ratings for both a la the Monday Night Wars.
NXT has been on Wednesdays since February of 2010.

I was trying to think who’d make sense for Omega’s first title match, but I’m drawing a blank. Outside of Mox, I can’t think of any faces ready for it. Too soon for Page (I think he’s the one to take it from Omega- but not until late 21), there’s the whole Cody stipulation, and everyone else seems to be a heel. Am I just completely forgetting someone here? Does Omega just wrestle other promotion’s champion while AEW builds up Page and other faces?

I'm pretty sure NXT aired on Thursdays for a long time before moving to Wednesdays, but I may be wrong.
TNT picked Wednesday for Dynamite since they have the NBA on Tuesday's and Thursdays.

Interesting news I saw on the interwebs

there are a number of WWE talents who have been ordered to work on refining and improving their in-ring skills at the request of WWE management, said to be a Vince McMahon edict.
Otis, Keith Lee, Dabbo Kato, Dio Maddin and AJ Styles' bodyguard Omos are among the contingent that the company has been working with on improving and refining their work inside the ring with those talents taking part in regular workouts at the WWE Performance Center.

Ya know, I’d be willing to bet had Dynamite been live this week it would have broke the million mark. WWE fanboys were posting spoilers everywhere online days before the show aired, trying to get people to watch nxt instead.

Although I’d be interested in seeing what would happen, Dynamite will never move to mondays. Khan has said they wouldn’t go on Monday because they didn’t want to go up against the NFL. My guess is the new show will probably either be Fridays, or most likely Saturdays. I think Dynamite did pretty well the couple times they had to air on Saturday. Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday are off the table due to NFL and NBA on TNT. I doubt they’d air two shows on Wednesday so that would just leave Friday and Saturday.

I was trying to think who’d make sense for Omega’s first title match, but I’m drawing a blank. Outside of Mox, I can’t think of any faces ready for it. Too soon for Page (I think he’s the one to take it from Omega- but not until late 21), there’s the whole Cody stipulation, and everyone else seems to be a heel. Am I just completely forgetting someone here? Does Omega just wrestle other promotion’s champion while AEW builds up Page and other faces?
Well the good thing with Omega is they can put him against a face or heel. While he turned heel, the fans will still cheer him. He’s really more of a tweener leaning heel. It would take something like him turning on the Bucks to turn the fans against him. Or torturing and beat the hell out of Silver, that would probably make a lot of fans turn on him. 😂

But I think his first title match will probably be a one off like with Jungle Boy or Scorpio Sky. As far as feuds, they’ll certainly do Jericho im sure. Omega and Cage teased a match before Cage even went to AEW so that’ll be one most likely. Mox will almost certainly get a rematch at some point, maybe Revolution. Omega has history with Fenix, Pac and Pentagon and they’re all three leaning more face at the moment so it could be one them although Penta is legit hurt. Hurt his leg training a couple weeks ago so they used the table spot to write him off. Could maybe see a champ vs champ match with Darby. Miro has mentioned Kenny as one of the guys he wants to face the most. Probably going to be some face turns in the near future. Sammy being one of those. He’d be a good one for Omega to face off with. Then there’s also EC3 who will likely end up in AEW fairly soon. He never signed with impact or roh and if you listened to his podcast with Jericho, they clearly hinted at something that was planned down the road. That podcast was a couple months ago.

Regardless, like you, I see him eventually dropping the belt to Hangman.

Reactions: WeWant9
You're the one who just *errantly* tried to correct me with your "Ayktually..." post. But AEW fans are the Karens?

Ironically fanboi-ish take, Glenn(n).
p14893_p_v8_af.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Lexie's Dad
Since they couldn’t meet in the title tourney Omega is wrestling Jelly Janela on Wednesday. No DQ, anything goes match.

Appreciate the storyline continuity at least.

Since they couldn’t meet in the title tourney Omega is wrestling Jelly Janela on Wednesday. No DQ, anything goes match.

Appreciate the storyline continuity at least.
Lol was just coming to post that. Omega pulled probably the two best matches of Janela’s career out of him last year. It’ll probably be a good match.

Originally it was reported Omega on impact would be a one off that may involve the Good Bros showing up on Dynamite. Now it’s come out that Omega will be on Impact again this week and Meltzer is saying Omega will be headlining future impact PPV’s. Maybe they saw all the buzz and decided to keep the ball rolling instead of it being a one off.

Also, it looks like Sting will be wrestling. The AEW website seems to hint that it’s possible and reports are out saying the plan is to have him wrestle down the line. Obviously it won’t be an often occurrence but a match here and there would be awesome as long as he’s in decent shape. He evidently really didn’t like how he was done in wwe and didn’t want his career to end that way.

This particular war is over, AEW should stop picking on the WWE's minor league program. Like I said, it's time for AEW to put their big boy pants on and take down Vince's flagship show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT