ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

I’m actually friends with Cornette and help him with various projects...I was with him for a while Sunday and knock him if you want, but he will treat you like a true fan if you come talk to him. He loves it
He's polarizing. He drones on too much about politics. He doesn't have the ability to say, "It's not my cup of tea, but others seem to like it." He's a UL fan.

But he is entertaining and has a mind for psychology and the sport of wrestling.

He's polarizing. He drones on too much about politics. He doesn't have the ability to say, "It's not my cup of tea, but others seem to like it." He's a UL fan.

But he is entertaining and has a mind for psychology and the sport of wrestling.

The funny thing is he’ll rarely talk basketball and wasn’t a Pitino Guy (thinks he’s s Yankee)

Cheap plug for him: if you’ll be close to Nashville this weekend, he’ll be at the Nashville fairgrounds with Dennis and Bobby for the 35th reunion of the midnight express

the only time politics came up in the good 40 minutes I spent talking to him was a guy with a red hat came up. He was like "NO" at first and his wife stopped him. The hat said "Make Hentai Great Again". Ole Corny loved it.

He doesn't have the ability to say, "It's not my cup of tea, but others seem to like it."
He used to be able to do this. Maybe the most telling thing about Vince McMahon as a motivator/boss was that he could get Corny to agree to disagree with him - chocolate and vanilla, it's still ice cream.

Reactions: Lexie's Dad
I think the difference is that at least Vince McMahon was still offering wrestling as the chocolate to Corny's vanilla.

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I actually agreed with Vince Russo once. When the Young Bucks did that 14 drop kick counter routine that went viral, he said it was cool but it is not wrestling, so please just call it something else and promote it as such. I think Cornette wouldn't be as rabid about this as he is if 1) it didn't drive a lot of traffic to his podcast and 2) if the main perpetrators would just stop calling what they do wrestling. If the Young Bucks made a youtube or television comedy series about being wrestlers or whatever then it would be one thing. That they go out and have a "match" right before a big world title match between two legit wrestlers is the biggest thing that pisses Corny (and me) off. It kills everything else on the card and promotion. When they post videos of him wrestling Kowabunga in SMW they don't realize they're making his point; you can do stupid shit as long as you make it known that it's stupid. You can't have Kowbunga winning the world title and you can't have the Young Bucks do anything

What I'm trying to say is the Young Bucks are real jerks

I'll give the Bucks credit for one thing - they figured out how to make money.

That's the point. They have fun, good off, and make bank. Their fans eat it up.

They're talented enough that they could work differently and have very good "serious" matches that hurt. But it doesn't pay enough extra.

F it - good for them.

Oh - and Cody being better Indy than WWE....

WWE had to be creative and book for everyone. Cody got what he got based on his RELATIVE perceived earning potential in a company that caters to kids and casual fans.

As an Indy, Cody creates for himself. So, he gives himself better stuff, better outcomes.

Psst... SPOILER ALERT - if these same Indies could book Daniel Bryan, Roman Reigns, and John Cena and sell packed houses at $100 per ticket to kids and families - Cody would get scraps again. It's how the market works. The big fish in the small pond deal.

And we like Cody around here, but he ain't all that. He's a solid 7 in a room full of 5s.

It truly is amazing how Smackdown and Raw are the same company.

This! And if your even wasting your time right now on RAW you are doing wrestling fans a disservice.

That is the liquid that runs out of a dumpster on pick up day.......not even worthy of a “hot garbage” or “hot mess”.

I will say it's not coincidence that the Raw episode considered one of the worst in the history was written solely by McMahon.

Reactions: K-mac18
I saw on Twitter that The Dynamite Kid passed away today on his 60th birthday. I always loved the British Bulldogs and hard to believe they are both gone.

I would hardly call what Dynamite was doing the last 20 years of his life "living", but what a talent. Never got to see him in his prime, but Bret says he was the best of all time in the ring. Even past Dynamite's prime, the Bulldogs were a tag team that stood out, and I wish they could have held on for a couple more years to get to wrestle the Rockers and the Brain Busters.

I would hardly call what Dynamite was doing the last 20 years of his life "living", but what a talent. Never got to see him in his prime, but Bret says he was the best of all time in the ring. Even past Dynamite's prime, the Bulldogs were a tag team that stood out, and I wish they could have held on for a couple more years to get to wrestle the Rockers and the Brain Busters.

Yeah he had a ton of health issues. Strokes, confined to a wheelchair, heart issues, etc. The Sports Entertainment industry is sure hard on the body.

So Samoa Joe is copying the make fun of Jeff Hardy’s alcohol problem fued? Can’t even use something original...figures.

Lost in all of this tragedy with another cornerstone of Stampede Wrestling dying...this man is still alive.

tve78356-19970706-1877.jpg

And the other brother's name is Bruce. Now isn't that a stupid name? You have nine months and you come up with Bruce?

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
Raw has became a hot steaming pile of shit. You can do a lot of stuff with McIntyre and Lashley (sans Rush), but aside from that...garbage.

Smackdown is really starting to pick up steam. The Bryan stuff kind of came out of nowhere, but they can do some good stuff with that. Miz is always great although I think they are struggling right now with the whole tweener baby/heel aspect of him. I look for it to be a slow build babyface turn that likely ends up with a title victory at Mania.

Becky is still killing it. I just wish they would get away from the triple threat bullshit. The way it's looking, I'd not be surprised to see Mandy and Sonya get in that match now. Just roll with Becky and Charlotte feuding. Asuka is good but she is terrible when it comes to promos. My only downfall to the becky/Charlotte stuff is that as good as their matches are, them as friends is equally good. Everyone knows they are pretty much sisters in real life. I think that kinda hurts that feud a bit.

Looks like Triple H is giving us Black vs Gargano 2 on NXT in a steel cage. FAP FAP FAP

I went to an indie show like 8 years ago when I was a teenager and Seth was Tyler Black. When he came out he threw his shirt into the small crowd and I caught it. After the show a bunch of the wrestlers were selling and signing their merch. I went up to Seth and asked him to sign his shirt that I caught. He took the shirt and said "thanks kid I meant to throw it to the ref outside". I was confused. Seth said he would sell it to me for $15 instead of the usual $20 that he charged. Arik Cannon was next to him and called him a jerk and I just walked away.

I went to an indie show like 8 years ago when I was a teenager and Seth was Tyler Black. When he came out he threw his shirt into the small crowd and I caught it. After the show a bunch of the wrestlers were selling and signing their merch. I went up to Seth and asked him to sign his shirt that I caught. He took the shirt and said "thanks kid I meant to throw it to the ref outside". I was confused. Seth said he would sell it to me for $15 instead of the usual $20 that he charged. Arik Cannon was next to him and called him a jerk and I just walked away.
Was he a heel?

Reactions: Lexie's Dad
If Kushida leaves New Japan, then New Japan has bigger problems than I imagined.

Not really. They were interested in Kushida mid summer last year before the reports came out New Japan had problems.

If Kushida leaves New Japan, then New Japan has bigger problems than I imagined.

They have no interest in using him. They're just in the process of trying to kill every other promotion.

I hope they don't contact Jay White. I think that guy has tons of potential. I'm really surprised he took such a stupid gimmick and got it over. I really think he may end up being the best BC leader by the time it's over.

Man.. I can see it now.. NXT takes over the world, no one cares for main roster at that point. No one. Triple H divorces Stephanie and somehow takes NXT as it’s own property, no longer under the McMahon name. But i Dream a liars dream.. sigh

Triple H isn't a saint and it would be unwise to attribute every good thing WWE does to him and none of the bad ones. He's still Clique through and through, and those guys will be shady until they die, even if they do good.

Saw Mike Mooneyham report that Larry "The Axe" Hennig died today. I also think it's awesome that Mike Mooneyham is still doing his thing and reporting on wrestling for the local newspaper.

Reactions: GhostVol
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT