ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Rock live Netflix stand up special

I thought it started out great, got a little dull, then finished with that solid roasting of WS that we all expected.

Reactions: FltDoc and chroix
Did not think it was anywhere close to his best work. It had potential, but it was more social commentary with a few jokes sprinkled in. There were some laugh out loud moments but few and far between.

Reactions: chroix
Meh. Felt flat. Hard for him to live up to his original stand ups which are some of the best ever but this fell way short.

The last 10 minutes where he went after Will Smith were worth watching too
I told my wife to expect that, but I did not find it funny. He admittedly blew one of his jokes, but it was more a rant and revenge than funny, IMO.

Wasn't his best. A lot of commentary to build up to the final 10 mins of addressing Will. And, I think he let WS off easy. Doesn't seem like he's mentally over the WS saga and this was his therapy special.

The racist yoga pants bit was funny.

His bit about "killing' babies.." was a "bold" move (and funny), and honestly think he was saying more than the obvious...but, I'm not sure....,

He absolutely has been savin' up for Will Smith, and smoked both Will and J P-S... (Ouch). Just came out and called them "bitches" for different reasons... My brother turned and said "its on....more is gonna' come from this..." -- Agreed!

His bit about "killing' babies.." was a "bold" move (and funny), and honestly think he was saying more than the obvious...but, I'm not sure....,

He absolutely has been savin' up for Will Smith, and smoked both Will and J P-S... (Ouch). Just came out and called them "bitches" for different reasons... My brother turned and said "its on....more is gonna' come from this..." -- Agreed!
I did not find that funny, but it was bold. Essentially he said abortion is killing babies, but he supports it because he and others are murderously selfish. I found that admission boldly honest, but not funny. His admitted selfishness is a theme through the middle of the act.

I did not find that funny, but it was bold. Essentially he said abortion is killing babies, but he supports it because he and others are murderously selfish. I found that admission boldly honest, but not funny. His admitted selfishness is a theme through the middle of the act.
Yeah, I couldn't figure it out... he actually looked out into the audience and said " 'cause that's what you're doing, killing' babies..(long pause)". -- could of heard a pin drop.. Everything else said was just trying to now make it seem funny...

Honestly, I don't know much about Rock to know what his stance is... but he kept it "real" a few times -- made the audience squirm a bit...

Yeah, I couldn't figure it out... he actually looked out into the audience and said " 'cause that's what you're doing, killing' babies..(long pause)". -- could of heard a pin drop.. Everything else said was just trying to now make it seem funny...

Honestly, I don't know much about Rock to know what his stance is... but he kept it "real" a few times -- made the audience squirm a bit...

Very ok for me but no ye moment.

He’s old now. It wasn’t great. I expect great from him.

Regarding the abortion "jokes"; I took it how he said it, which was exactly true. Whether that should have been part of his comedy show, is another story.

Finally glad to see him say something about the slap. As others noted, it could have been a lot worse. He only spent 8-9 minutes at the end talking about it.

The nonsense about how spoiled his kids are wasn't funny.

Regarding the abortion "jokes"; I took it how he said it, which was exactly true. Whether that should have been part of his comedy show, is another story.
Rather profound coming from somebody like CR.

Was a mix for me. Some good stuff but then he spent what felt like 10 minutes talking about his daughter and how she's now in Paris, which lead to everyone feeling forced to clap for her. I think I liked the Markle stuff more than anything. I'm sure she's a nice person, but anyone could see she wants the Hollywood celebrity status and not be tied down with the Royal duties in Britain (whatever they may be). The Will Smith stuff was fine but probably ten months too late. I mean, we're still talking about it a year later? Genius move on Rock's part for waiting so long though.

I get he is angry and has a right to vent. But he kind of got down in the mud talking about Smith and his wife. It seemed a little mean spirited.

Do you think he knows it isn't that good? I assume musicians who put out good stuff early in their career know when a new album kind of sucks.

I get he is angry and has a right to vent. But he kind of got down in the mud talking about Smith and his wife. It seemed a little mean spirited.

Will and Jada put their dirty laundry out there well before CR commented on it. But think of the worst thing that's happened to you and imagine it is in front of millions of people. I think Rock went easy on him. I imagine this is only the beginning of it because I didn't get the impression Rock was over anything yet.

Smith's wife is trash. Pure trash. He's been castrated by defending her. She is pure trash.

Reactions: Col. Angus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT