ADVERTISEMENT

CHRIS HOLTMANN HEADED TO DEPAUL.

I'm not here to tell you Holtman is anything special. But neither is DePaul.

He had success at Butler. He got them to the tournament 3 straight years. They won 4 tournament games. He made the tournament in his first 4 years that there was a tournament. He had a bad last 2 years.

He's not UK Coaching material. But I think he can make DePaul a lot better.

I figured Dewayne Peevey would be smarter than that but he is branched off the tree of Mitch so there is that…..

Not a good move by DePaul IMO. There were lots of other names floated for this job and they must've struck out on all of them. I don't think Holtmann is terrible but I just think they needed to make a bigger splash based on where that program is.

working from home chilling GIF

DePaul is a disaster. Be very hard to fix unless you bring in someone like Wade who is willing to cut corners

I'm not here to tell you Holtman is anything special. But neither is DePaul.

He had success at Butler. He got them to the tournament 3 straight years. They won 4 tournament games. He made the tournament in his first 4 years that there was a tournament. He had a bad last 2 years.

He's not UK Coaching material. But I think he can make DePaul a lot better.
Getting to the tourney at Butler isn't success. They were just one full season removed (the dark, short era of Brandon Miller who just banged cheerleaders) from back to back title game appearances under Stevens.

I have family ties in Butler basketball and they all believe he did more harm than good to the program.

Reactions: bIhawk
Getting to the tourney at Butler isn't success. They were just one full season removed (the dark, short era of Brandon Miller who just banged cheerleaders) from back to back title game appearances under Stevens.

I have family ties in Butler basketball and they all believe he did more harm than good to the program.
I respectfully disagree.

Butler had an amazing run under Stevens, who is clearly one of the best basketball minds on the planet.

Butler has 2 Elite 8's and 2 Final 4's in program history. Both thanks to Stevens. They're not some basketball power house.

I'm not able to refute how people feel he affected the program. But he won games there. He got to the tournament. And they're not a basketball power house, no matter how good those 2 years under Stevens were.

Reactions: Fox2monk
The dude leaves programs in worse shape than when he inherited them .... that would be MIGHTY DIFFICULT to do at DePaul, so he will "succeed" there, I suppose.

Just cashing checks ....
Getting a decent rep in coaching has the be the best job in life. You can literally get paid millions to suck, get paid millions to go away, and then get paid millions by another school somehow to coach again.

Not a good move by DePaul IMO. There were lots of other names floated for this job and they must've struck out on all of them. I don't think Holtmann is terrible but I just think they needed to make a bigger splash based on where that program is.
Just because names were floated doesn't mean they're actually in contention for the job. It's well known that agents do this intentionally, as to get their client a pay bumb at their current job, or in leverage for a different job.

Just because names were floated doesn't mean they're actually in contention for the job. It's well known that agents do this intentionally, as to get their client a pay bumb at their current job, or in leverage for a different job.
I think he's vanilla ice cream. He's a base hit single. Is he amazing or sexy? No. But he'll get the job done.

DePaul hasn't made the tournament in 20 years. They just want some ice cream. They just want to get back on base.

If Holtmann gets them to the tournament in the next 3 years (and I honestly think he probaly can), then that's SUCH a huge win for that school.

They're not going to find a coach to take them deep in the tournament on a routine basis.

Reactions: CatsFanIL
I respectfully disagree.

Butler had an amazing run under Stevens, who is clearly one of the best basketball minds on the planet.

Butler has 2 Elite 8's and 2 Final 4's in program history. Both thanks to Stevens. They're not some basketball power house.

I'm not able to refute how people feel he affected the program. But he won games there. He got to the tournament. And they're not a basketball power house, no matter how good those 2 years under Stevens were.
I agree with you. Butler is NOT some basketball powerhouse, aside from a 2-year stretch under Brad Stevens. They've made 1 Sweet 16 appearance since Stevens left in 2013, and that was Holtman. They've made a couple early upsets in the NCAA-T, but Holtman and Stevens are the only recent success

5 Sweet 16's in 24 years isn't a powerhouse. I don't think Holtman left the program in shambles, at all. In fact, Butler made the NCAA-T the first year after Holtman's departure

I think he's vanilla ice cream. He's a base hit single. Is he amazing or sexy? No. But he'll get the job done.

DePaul hasn't made the tournament in 20 years. They just want some ice cream. They just want to get back on base.

If Holtmann gets them to the tournament in the next 3 years (and I honestly think he probaly can), then that's SUCH a huge win for that school.

They're not going to find a coach to take them deep in the tournament on a routine basis.
Can't disagree with anything you said here. But then again, I love ice cream!

Reactions: Cats192
Getting a decent rep in coaching has the be the best job in life. You can literally get paid millions to suck, get paid millions to go away, and then get paid millions by another school somehow to coach again.
I think there are only so many people on the planet that are good enough to be a D1 coach. Holtman won't ever be the best coach. I doubt he ever makes a Final 4.

But he's in the group of people that are good enough to coach D1. If I'm DePaul, I'm pretty content with this.

I just don't think they can look at the world like Kentucky where we need a home run hire that we believe CAN win it all.

I think there are only so many people on the planet that are good enough to be a D1 coach. Holtman won't ever be the best coach. I doubt he ever makes a Final 4.

But he's in the group of people that are good enough to coach D1. If I'm DePaul, I'm pretty content with this.

I just don't think they can look at the world like Kentucky where we need a home run hire that we believe CAN win it all.
Here's whats important that hasn't been noted yet: They now have a coach ready to grab recruits, ready to navigate the portal. If they would've waited for a certain coach's team to be eliminated, who knows how long that would have taken. They could've lost out on players in the portal, and could've lost out on the coach himself.

Making a quick, "safe" hire allows for Holtmann to recruit kids now, and to jump on the portal before some other schools are able to because they're still waiting to make a hire.

I think he’s definitely at a level that can coach especially a DePaul. Here is my thing. Look at guys like Bruiser Flint. Nobody I’ve ever talked to can understand what it is he even does as an assistant no matter where he’s been, Danny Manning. Guys that have failed over and over yet keep getting hired.

There have been a ton of even high school players. Many may not have tried coaching, but I bet if they got a shot they could do just as good after some training. But a lot of guys never get a chance because the same people go over and over everywhere.

Reactions: Cats192
Here's whats important that hasn't been noted yet: They now have a coach ready to grab recruits, ready to navigate the portal. If they would've waited for a certain coach's team to be eliminated, who knows how long that would have taken. They could've lost out on players in the portal, and could've lost out on the coach himself.

Making a quick, "safe" hire allows for Holtmann to recruit kids now, and to jump on the portal before some other schools are able to because they're still waiting to make a hire.
I never understood this strategy. Coaches are important. Especially in college basketball. He's not going to get the attention of anyone on a good team until tournaments are over. Whoever he gets at DePaul isn't worth it. Supposedly we passed on Izzo because we could NOT wait ONE week longer. Would you trade Izzo for Gillespie and Lance Ware equivalents?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT