ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago Cubs thread

The Chicago Cubs = Your g/f wife that "gets into sports" and by that I mean, they like to wear team stuff, put a team sticker tattoo on their cheek on game days, pull a pony tail through a team ballcap, and drink a seltzer or Mich ultra in a team coozie. The Cubs, top to bottom are more about "being there", being SEEN there, than they are about the sport. The sport is just a vehicle for other stuff.

Chicago Cubs = "Stuff" and "Fluff"
Absolutely the most annoying franchise, at all levels, in MLB
Also, Harry Caray can get F***ed sideways. (if he was still around)

Last edited:
Had to give it up.
But I'm right about the Cubs. Even Cubs fans, deep down, know I'm right.

Cubs add 3B Candelario a player they traded away in 2017.

Nice pop in the bay, but not much for average. Still should help the patchwork we been running at 3B.

Should have traded Stroman and Bellinger when they had the chance and gotten some assets in return.

This team, as presently constructed, is not a threat at all to do anything in October. The Cubs record against teams over .500 is awful. Just because they beat up on the Nats, White Sox, and Cards over an 8 game stretch proved nothing, unfortunately. Bummed they didn't unload those two guys.

The Cubs, like I said, are more of a "hobby" than a serious sports franchise, if you ask me.

The Chicago Cubs = Your g/f wife that "gets into sports" and by that I mean, they like to wear team stuff, put a team sticker tattoo on their cheek on game days, pull a pony tail through a team ballcap, and drink a seltzer or Mich ultra in a team coozie. The Cubs, top to bottom are more about "being there", being SEEN there, than they are about the sport. The sport is just a vehicle for other stuff.

So like the Lakers?

• Haha
Reactions: HymanKaplan

As a White Sox fan who has studied the Cubs deeply over the years, growing up in the shadow of Wrigley Field, I can say that you are absolutely 100 percent on point. For about 75% of the supposed Cubs fan base, going to a Cubs game is the equivalent of going to a rock concert of a band you're supposed to like, but not really into at all.

Last edited:
Tell that to boston fans
The OP was saying how a lot of Cubs fans aren't truly fans, but go to Wrigley for the experience, or are casual fans because being a Cubs fan is a cool thing to be.

I am saying that applies to all major sports teams in large markets. Yes, including Boston fans, NY fans, Chi fans, LA fans. When you live in a huge market that has a 10 million plus metro area, that is what happens every single time.

Reactions: Girthang
As a White Sox fan who has studied the Cubs deeply over the years, growing up in the shadow of Wrigley Field, I can say that you are absolutely 100 percent on point. For about 75% of the supposed Cubs fan base, going to a Cubs game is the equivalent of going to a rock concert of a band you're supposed to like, but not really into at all.
Just so we are clear, you're saying 30k out of the 40k that show up to Wrigley each game, those fans are not true Cubs fans and are just not really into it at all?

Just so we are clear, you're saying 30k out of the 40k that show up to Wrigley each game, those fans are not true Cubs fans and are just not really into it at all?

I'd say that many of them are fans in the loosest sense of the word. I'd equate them to Pearl Jam "fans" who know the chorus to songs like Jeremy and Black, versus Pearl Jam fans who know every word to a song like Light Years by heart.

I have mad respect for actual longsuffering Cubs fans. I have zero respect for the "let's look pretty and go to the game today, hun" crowd that constitutes the majority of their seat occupants.

I'd say that many of them are fans in the loosest sense of the word. I'd equate them to Pearl Jam "fans" who know the chorus to songs like Jeremy and Black, versus Pearl Jam fans who know every word to a song like Light Years by heart.

I have mad respect for actual longsuffering Cubs fans. I have zero respect for the "let's look pretty and go to the game today, hun" crowd that constitutes the majority of their seat occupants.
Gotcha. I get your viewpoint.

I would disagree though. Especially during big time games, Wrigley is hopping. To me, if you are just there for the experience, you aren't screaming like crazy and making the camera feed shake during crucial parts of the game, or when something big happens. I know I wouldn't if I wasn't emotionally invested.

That place gets flippin loud...can't imagine only 1/4 of a ballpark being responsible for that atmosphere, while the others are just standing around enjoying the "experience." Just my take, though.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
With Stroman struggling and Smyly out it would be nice if the FO could land a pitcher to help.

As opposed to?

Serious question.

You just perfectly described a game at Rupp Arena, BTW.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
The OP was saying how a lot of Cubs fans aren't truly fans, but go to Wrigley for the experience, or are casual fans because being a Cubs fan is a cool thing to be.

I am saying that applies to all major sports teams in large markets. Yes, including Boston fans, NY fans, Chi fans, LA fans. When you live in a huge market that has a 10 million plus metro area, that is what happens every single time.

Probably worst fans to not as awful but still suck.

1a. NY
1b. Boston
1c. LA
1d. Chicago

Reactions: mcnicKY91
Strowman went on IL so depending on what it is makes you wonder if he’d have passed a physical anyways?

Love how much Reds fans hate the “lovable losers” and their “bandwagon fans” yet there have NEVER been more bandwagon Reds fans than this year

Hendricks has been bad for a few years but he is an innings eater so we roll him out there.

We aren’t the first team to get roasted by the Braves, tomorrow with Steele going will tell me more about where we are.

Reactions: Blueisbest
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT