ADVERTISEMENT

Utah sports writer likes UK's chances with J Robinson

I think if he can get both he will take them.
100%. Also, no offense to anyone thinking this way but this roster knows the deal! They’re all vets and we’re not losing anyone out of this group. They’re all unselfish and came to Kentucky to win big time basketball games. That’s why the guys we have so far are here. Now we had a guys agent try getting him more money and that was messed up but it worked out in the end. I’m not saying we get both, but if we do no one is running off and I believe all have signed. The days of feelings are over here and that’s a great thing. My opinion of course here so be easy. lol. Damn I’m liking this team guys.

I think if he comes back to college he is Uk’s to lose. But I’m not sure what the odds are that he comes back to college.

Reactions: B.B.H.
100%. Also, no offense to anyone thinking this way but this roster knows the deal! They’re all vets and we’re not losing anyone out of this group. They’re all unselfish and came to Kentucky to win big time basketball games. That’s why the guys we have so far are here. Now we had a guys agent try getting him more money and that was messed up but it worked out in the end. I’m not saying we get both, but if we do no one is running off and I believe all have signed. The days of feelings are over here and that’s a great thing. My opinion of course here so be easy. lol. Damn I’m liking this team guys.
Idk, with the way things are today I could definitely see somebody leaving if both Robinson and Lanier came here.

Who cares as long as UK wins big.

These 2 players will significantly increase UKs chances of winning big.

If a player leaves because he's afraid of competing we don't need that player anyways.
Exactly. Especially guys getting paid big money. They wanna be pros, so in the pros you don’t get a choice, you fight for your roster spot or you’re out of the league.

He wants multiple guarantees not just one. There is a huge difference from 1 guarantee and 3 guarantees is what he is seeking. NBA scouts love his game though. We will see, we will see.

Go Cats
All I’ve read is they like him but think he could use another year and feel he isn’t ready right now. Also he’s ranked around the 53-56 prospect out of 58 first and second round picks. That’s not a big margin for getting a guarantee in my opinion. I think he’ll absolutely have to play another year if he wants guaranteed pick.

Recruit the best players and promise them they'll have their chance. College or not, they're getting paid which makes them professional athletes. Wanna play, you earn it and you're guaranteed nothing. You earn it, anywhere ya go. I say we bring in as many as the rules allow.

Idk, with the way things are today I could definitely see somebody leaving if both Robinson and Lanier came here.
I mean if course they could I suppose but I don’t see anyone here leaving. Most the guys who aren’t going to play a lot are two Kentucky born and bred Wildcats and a guy who would go to china to play for pope in chandler. That leaves 20 minutes for 10 players. At Kentucky ! Did I mention these guys are at Kentucky. Like the place they dream of playing as high schoolers with posters on their walls. lol. I think we’re ok either way though so. I may be wrong though and it sure wouldn’t be the first time. lol.

I mean if course they could I suppose but I don’t see anyone here leaving. Most the guys who aren’t going to play a lot are two Kentucky born and bred Wildcats and a guy who would go to china to play for pope in chandler. That leaves 20 minutes for 10 players. At Kentucky ! Did I mention these guys are at Kentucky. Like the place they dream of playing as high schoolers with posters on their walls. lol. I think we’re ok either way though so. I may be wrong though and it sure wouldn’t be the first time. lol.
If they got both I could for sure seeing Oweh being unhappy

I think the names I’d worry about are Kriisa and Oweh. There’s only 200 minutes to give out and Robinson/Lanier if you have both are not getting less than 25 each. Other than that, I agree. I think the guys at the end roster are probably very loyal to the vision.

I don’t see why taking both is an issue. He still has Scholarships for both. The holding on to an open spot was if Robinson withdrew from draft OR a late Euro or something else late.
He’s going to use all 13.
Who knows if Lanier and/or Robinson actually come? I think there is a decent chance they will, and if they do, that’s great. If they don’t, we’ll go a different direction and still try to fill 13 spots.

cb965570-d3cd-4844-8680-34c54ee0e2b5_text.gif

Reactions: kywildcat41086
You have to play the game. You can't be this tight with roster formation, not with NIL and immediate transfer rules. If Robinson committing is that much of a hangup for a current player, then you do right by him, apologize for the inconvenience this created let him out of his commitment.

We shouldn't be doing what Kansas is doing, where Self literally is just recruiting over everyone at all times.. but Jaxson was seen as a likely target from the get-go.
Exactly right. And I’d bet they were all told we’re going to go after the best we can get to fill out this roster. No promises, no trophies for everyone and keep your feelings for the calls back home. Lmao. They all know where they are now.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Owen is the guy I see getting his 20to 25 minutes no problem and when the game is on the line he’ll be right there. A defensive beast and an unbelievable finisher at the rim. Probably the biggest dog on the team so we may have to disagree finally. Haha. Wanted him here bad out of high school and he may be my favorite of them all. Love his heart. Got a lot of problems that other schools would love to have I know that.

If Pope was committed to playing no one more than 25 minutes, and I know this sounds crazy, an 11-man rotation is possible. You could play a level of hyper aggressive defense that would be unsustainable for long periods of time but with that level of depth you would wear teams out by halftime.

I would love to get this kid. He was the difference maker for BYU last season.
Yeah, and he already knows the offense inside and out. That's not just a scoring edge for himself, he also is teaching the rest of the players how they need to think and play. There's nothing like having a live example demonstrating an offense you're trying to learn.

If they landed both, this would be the deepest UK team since 2015.
The lineups combos would be interesting for sure. I want brea and Lanier(if they get him) on the floor as much as possible, Carr, butler Williams and Oweh I want on the floor a lot, Krisa, Chandler, garrison, Almanor in situations

The lineups combos would be interesting for sure. I want brea and Lanier(if they get him) on the floor as much as possible, Carr, butler Williams and Oweh I want on the floor a lot, Krisa, Chandler, garrison, Almanor in situations
Putting Lanier and Brea on the floor together would be lethal. Brea was #1 and Lanier was #5 in the nation in 3 point % last season. Two top 5 shooters on the floor together would be hard to guard.

Put Kriisa at the 1 and Carr at the 4 out there with them and see if anyone can guard them. The spacing would be amazing. You couldn’t pack it in, so Williams at the 5 would have single coverage, so to speak.

Coach could also put Almonor at the 4 and move Carr to the 5 at times. Carr is not just a deep shooter, he can post up and score.

Two things:

1) How in the h... are we supposed to know?
2) What difference does it make?
it makes a huge difference
if you promise a recruit they are gonna start or get xxx of minutes and then recruit someone to take their spot and minutes
if no promises were made then any coach should absolutely get the best players he can and let the chips fall where they fall

You feel good about Kentuckys chances?
Yes, very good. Also feel like Robinson is 60/40 pulling out of draft. Will be very interesting how this wraps up. Could Ky spend 3 million and Get Both. Ky would be legit top 5 with both before CMP coaches 1 game and that’s his strength, X’s and O’s but NOW he will have the Jimmy’s and Joe’s.

Go Cats!!

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
it makes a huge difference
if you promise a recruit they are gonna start or get xxx of minutes and then recruit someone to take their spot and minutes
if no promises were made then any coach should absolutely get the best players he can and let the chips fall where they fall
The whole dramatic swoop of the conversation is predicated on the idea that promises were made. Because there is no drama to the idea that coaches should have recruit enough players to fill out the squad.

However, it seems some people would like the coach to renege on promises. Which would be terrible. That's usually been called being untrustworthy. Or two-faced. Or a liar.

For a game?

• Haha
Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Yes, very good. Also feel like Robinson is 60/40 pulling out of draft. Will be very interesting how this wraps up. Could Ky spend 3 million and Get Both. Ky would be legit top 5 with both before CMP coaches 1 game and that’s his strength, X’s and O’s but NOW he will have the Jimmy’s and Joe’s.

Go Cats!!
The Robinson part is interesting because if Kentucky gets Lanier, and Robinson comes back I would like to add him also but I fear he may go to Kansas and make them even better than they already are

The whole dramatic swoop of the conversation is predicated on the idea that promises were made. Because there is no drama to the idea that coaches should have recruit enough players to fill out the squad.

However, it seems some people would like the coach to renege on promises. Which would be terrible. That's usually been called being untrustworthy. Or two-faced. Or a liar.

For a game?
i have not seen anyone want a coach to lie
as you stated there is no way to know if promises were made (i highly doubt they were)
if no promises were made any coach worth a damn is going to get the best players he can that he feels makes his team better

Lots of players will get minutes in this system. It's about efficiency and what you do with the minutes you get in today's game. IMO, we need 10 at all times. So what if a couple are out for injury or whatever reason? Pitino often subbed 5 for 5...platooning if ya will. Quality of depth is what will make this system shine. Depth and conditioning. We'll win some games late, wearing other teams down. Chasing the ball all over the court is gonna be tough on opposing teams that only go 7 deep regularly. It's demoralizing and it's the system that made other teams fear UK, for a lot of years. Just my thoughts and I hope it's what Pope brings. It'll be exciting and a system that other recruits will come here to play in. It looks like what he has planned, based on the pieces he's brought in so far. It all comes down to how well they gel and pick up the system together, IMO. We won't be 40-0...probably lose 9-10 the first year but that depends on these things as well as who else we can bring in. It could be special or we may struggle for a while. As long as we peak at the right time and play as a team, we're gonna have a solid season, maybe more than just solid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT