ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Sports analysts pick UK to finish 6th in the SEC

I think that’s probably too low, but not unfair. Florida was a good team last year. 6 seed? Finished in 6th place at 11-7.

4 teams tied for second at 13-5. I’m inclined to believe we will be similar to Florida last year. Fast pace. A lot of new pieces. Maybe no absolute stars.

Where I differ is that I think Pope really understands the assignment here. I think the home crowd energy will be palpable. I think every game will be valued at a level we haven’t seen in a while.

So I say pencil us in for a couple more wins. Get us into that 13-5, 14-4 range where we’re punching it out for a top seed. I’m a bit of a homer but still. I think it will happen.

This is Kentucky basketball we are talking about!
Pope’s Poppers/Mark’s Makers are going to add another chapter!!

I think that’s probably too low, but not unfair. Florida was a good team last year. 6 seed? Finished in 6th place at 11-7.

4 teams tied for second at 13-5. I’m inclined to believe we will be similar to Florida last year. Fast pace. A lot of new pieces. Maybe no absolute stars.

Where I differ is that I think Pope really understands the assignment here. I think the home crowd energy will be palpable. I think every game will be valued at a level we haven’t seen in a while.

So I say pencil us in for a couple more wins. Get us into that 13-5, 14-4 range where we’re punching it out for a top seed. I’m a bit of a homer but still. I think it will happen.
I think that's pretty solid. Think that's a good comparison. Although, I'm a homer as well, and think this team should be a little better, roster wise, than that Florida team. I have high hopes for this team, but I do think we're gonna get caught on a few off nights. We'll take some Ls, but I don't think coaches will want to see this team, in either of the tournaments, at the end.

I think that's pretty solid. Think that's a good comparison. Although, I'm a homer as well, and think this team should be a little better, roster wise, than that Florida team. I have high hopes for this team, but I do think we're gonna get caught on a few off nights. We'll take some Ls, but I don't think coaches will want to see this team, in either of the tournaments, at the end.
Ill take it a step further; no one is going to want to see this team!

All of these individual players look so good that it is hard not to get your hopes sky high. I am trying to just stay calm and enjoy the new pace and style of play and lack of stupidity that we have seen the last 6 years.

Just imagining a team full of shooters that not only have a green light on 3s but have an entire system designed to give them confidence to keep shooting gives me goosebumps. I know we won't win them all but I hope we run some teams out of the gym.

Now I need to go watch the 96 team demolish LSU again.

Reactions: UKortho and gbl97
I think we'll be fourth, at worst. On paper, that seems fair.

Something I think this team has that puts it at an advantage over Pope's BYU teams is the ability to go to work in the paint if the threes aren't dropping.

We actually have dunkers and athletic bigs.

So, while we will shoot a ton of threes, I don't think we'll have to live and die by them as much as BYU did, and I think that could make a huge difference in the win column.

Conference is tough this season for sure. We add Texas annd Oklahoma to the conference and they are not slouches historically speaking. Ewetee will still be good and Bama looks to be the team to beat this season.

One game at a time and we will be ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: cat tat2
The top of the league will be a log jam like last season. If Florida doesn't choke at vandy n finale, you had 6 teams between 14 and 4 and 12 and 6 with 4 of those teams at 13 and 5.

The days of dominating the sec are over. Sorry old timers. Winning the league 3 or 4 times in a 10 year stretch going forward will be impressive. Same with winning 3 or 4 sec tourney in a 10 season stretch.

I'm not really worried about any of it. Just gonna watch and enjoy the games one by one and see what happens. It's hard to win a championship in any sport and it's about the journey more than the destination to me. Obviously I prefer the journey end in at least elite 8 with shot at more but I can't control it.

Something I think this team has that puts it at an advantage over Pope's BYU teams is the ability to go to work in the paint if the threes aren't dropping.

So, while we will shoot a ton of threes, I don't think we'll have to live and die by them as much as BYU did, and I think that could make a huge difference in the win column.
End Thread

I think that’s reasonable. Obviously I hope for better and I personally think Top 3 is doable. But with a new coach and completely new roster there’s plenty of variance how this season could go. Last season teams with the most turnover generally didn’t do great or even make the tournament in most cases.

I think this is a good point. BYU had one guy (Traore, I think) who could bang in the post and was pretty efficient doing it. It helped that no one could help off their man on the perimeter, and also the ball movement got him a lot of touches deep in the paint. But if I remember correctly he was only 6'6" or so, big bodied guy and athletic but not a "big" big. I don't know how refined Williams or Garrison are in the paint but if they have a semi-reliable post up move they should have no trouble getting a few easy paint buckets every game.

I think this is a good point. BYU had one guy (Traore, I think) who could bang in the post and was pretty efficient doing it. It helped that no one could help off their man on the perimeter, and also the ball movement got him a lot of touches deep in the paint. But if I remember correctly he was only 6'6" or so, big bodied guy and athletic but not a "big" big. I don't know how refined Williams or Garrison are in the paint but if they have a semi-reliable post up move they should have no trouble getting a few easy paint buckets every game.
The entire season hinges on defense…..most of the media that observed practice all said the same thing… “Team shoots the hell out of the ball, but can they guard?” I view Pope as the Lincoln Riley of college basketball….his offense is always going to be elite but can the team play good enough defense? We will see….I have no idea. The posts about better rim protection are true and hopefully that really helps.

The thing is, we do not know as fans, what to expect because UK has not played a game yet.

Even when cal had summer games, it was a little revealing of expectations but nowhere an indicator of winning.

At least the analysts are not thinking we finish last.......new coach, new players, need time to rebuild....

You just hope as a fan, that we are not looking at 9-16 record or uofL style of ball, where the players did not even go to practice....

Give Coach Pope time, like a couple or 3 seasons to improve the program.

My only expectation right now, is that we win 20 games or more this first season.

At a minimum, we are competitive, and give any team... including top 25 teams fits to win a game.

Our best 3 point shooter may well be a KY born and raised player this year? Who'd a thought that in prior years?

One thing I do not think the analysts realize: Cal is not coaching UK this year.

If things were similar, say last year......yeah, alabama might be headed for another final four.......but we will see. Conference games are probably going to be close and entertaining to see who ends up winning the most games in the season

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT