ADVERTISEMENT

Cats vs USCUS game 2 ....

Lewis gets a ground out to second to start the bottom half of the third. Heyer then takes away what might have been a double down the line and throws out the Spartan hitter for the second out of the inning. Lewis then gets a three pitch swinging strikeout to end the inning.

We're going to the 4th with Kentucky leading 2-0. Lewis throwing a gem so far with 5 strikeouts through just 3 innings.

Reactions: AgesBlue
Squires does what Squires does and gets hit by another pitch. The fourth time he's been hit by a pitch this year. This will frustrate opposing SEC teams. Shinn drew a 3-1 walk and Dawson put down a great bunt and almost beat it out, but it worked as a great sac bunt to move the runners to second and third.

Pompey grounded strongly to short stop and it works to advance the runners and helps UK to extend the lead 3-0. Becker gets hit by a pitch to put runners on the corners with 2 outs.

By the way, got to give a ton of props to the bottom of the lineup in this game. I believe they are responsible for all three runs.

Becker got a jump and got himself hung up in order to try to score another run, but Shinn gets thrown out at home trying to score and we go to the bottom of the 4th with UK up 3-0.

Becker got a jump and got himself hung up in order to try to score another run, but Shinn gets thrown out at home trying to score and we go to the bottom of the 4th with UK up 3-0.
Yeah, that looked deliberate.

Becker goes to one knee to take a bouncing ball for the first out of the 4th. Pompey makes such a great grab that even Dick Gabriel woke up and got excited for a second!! Lewis then got a comebacker to end the inning.

The Upstate announcers are impressed with Kentucky. Very, very complimentary. Justin Lewis has been dominating. Defense has been solid this game.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
Aklinski lined one into left to start the 5th. Collette hit a hard one to right field, but it is an out. Aklinski then steals second and Cottam later draws a 3-1 walk.

Heyer up with one out and he hits what should be a double play ball, but the throw to first is a bit wild and Heyer is safe. Runners on the corners with two outs.

Heyer takes second without any throw and Squires is hit between the shoulders. Squires is not feeling good about that one. Grimacing hard about this one.

Bases loaded but Shinn grounds one to short and he goes the easy way to get the runner at second and end the inning.

3-0 Kentucky going to the bottom half of the 5th.

First hitter grounds out to Becker. He booted the ball a bit, but recovers and still makes the play. Lewis at about 60 pitches here in the bottom of the 5th. Lewis works to a full count and the hitter pokes one down the left field line for a one our double. Belanger now out to visit with Lewis and the infield.

Lewis gets a pop up to first in foul territory. Cottam has to kind of contort his body to make the catch, but he gets it. Lewis then gets a strikeout to end the inning. Good job to battle back after the double.

Going to the 6th with the game still 3-0 in favor of Kentucky.

New pitcher, Morgan, for Upstate and Dawson goes down on strikes to start the 6th. Pompey then worked the count full and drew a walk. Good at bat for Pompey.

Haha Gabriel... here is what he says about Pompey: 'Pompey wears number 6 as a tribute to his home town of Toronto. I have to admit I'm not up to date on my Canadian trivia.' So, he basically tells us the what, but has no idea why. hahaha

Pompey is moving on a one out 3-2 pitch and the pitch if a ball, so everyone gets a free base. Aklinski hits a dying quail into right field and it advances everyone. A bobble made it seem as though they might send Pompey, but they held him and the bases are loaded for Collette with 1 out.

Gabriel, after Matt May looks it up, tells us what the 6 means (6 cities that make up Toronto). Collette took three balls before seeing his first strike. With a hitter's count he swings through a fastball to run it full before jacking one foul down the right field line and then takes ball 4. Good at bat from Collette gives UK a 4-0 lead.

Cottam took the first pitch into the right center gap and it is off the heel of the glove of the centerfielder and it plates two more runs for Kentucky and gives us a 6-0 lead and runners at second and third. They then call Cottam out for passing Collette on the base paths.

They rule that a base hit (terrible call).

Heyer lines one through the right side and it scores Collette. Collette slides into home and there is a play at the plate, but the catcher cannot corral the ball. UK winning 7-0 now.

Reactions: Tannerdad
Squires falls victim to a very nice curveball that the bottom falls out of and he strikes out, but UK puts up 4 runs in the top half of the 6th to take a 7-0 lead.

Lewis still out there, don't blame UK for this after using a lot of pitching in the first game. Still, there is action in the UK bullpen incase he gets into some trouble.

Cottam took the first pitch into the right center gap and it is off the heel of the glove of the centerfielder and it plates two more runs for Kentucky and gives us a 6-0 lead and runners at second and third. They then call Cottam out for passing Collette on the base paths.

They rule that a base hit (terrible call).
I was watching but didn’t see what happened, and of course they don’t have replays. Did he pass him or not?

Never mind, you’re saying it should’ve been an error! I’ll use the same excuse as the USC Upstate announcers, it’s been a long day of baseball. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lewis gets a strikeout to start the bottom half. Very efficient there. Another strikeout for Lewis. Three in a row.

I was watching but didn’t see what happened, and of course they don’t have replays. Did he pass him or not?

I missed it as well. I am switching between updates and the live feed and when I went to update and switched back they called him out, but I didn't see whether he did pass him. There didn't seem to be much argument though.

Lewis gets his 4th strikeout in a row and strikes out the side in the 6th. 7-0 UK!!

Never mind, you’re saying it should’ve been an error! I’ll use the same excuse as the USC Upstate announcers, it’s been a long day of baseball. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Haha I am not upset with it, but it bounced right off the heel of his glove. He had to go a long way to get it, but it should have been relatively routine. Still, I am sure that UK is fine with it being ruled a hit. haha

Lewis now has 9 strikeouts on the day. He struggled a bit for an inning or two, but he's found his groove.
anigif_enhanced-27137-1423862861-38.gif

Shinn put a charge into one into right center, but it finds a glove for out number one. Dawson watched strike three and goes down for the second out of the inning. Pompey then flies out to short to end the UK half of the 7th. 7-0 UK. First time UK has failed to get a runner on.

Lewis ends his day with a career high 9 strikeouts after 83 pitches. Hazelwood coming in. A homegrown freshman stands 6'5 and throws lefty with an 88-91mph fastball.

Mason Hazelwood has a bit of a 3/4 arm slot and he has a bit of a strange windup. Not quite out of the stretch, but it is a very short windup. He gets his first out as a liner to short. Dawson likes the work as he gets the second out on a two hopper to his left.

Hazelwood works a 3-2 count, but gives up a walk. A single up the middle puts runners on the corners and prompts a 2 out mount visit from Jimmy Belanger.

Am I just crazy or did we not have another guy in the middle infield that was a JUCO kid?

Troy Black... what happened to Troy Black? Not on the roster and he should be a redshirt sophomore? Did he get cut or what?

Becker blasts a solo shot out of the 2 hole and makes this an 8-0 game in the 8th inning!

ADVERTISEMENT