ADVERTISEMENT

Cats vs Tide (DH Game 1)

In the third and Harney got 2 easy outs but he's now walked a guy and hit 2 more to load the bases.

Popup to right that UK has a touch of trouble with, but Rhodes brings it in to kill the Bama rally.

Rhodes once again proves that you can't run on him. Guns a guy tagging up from 3rd.

Bunt single for Ritter and Hill and Estep moves Ritter up on a sac fly. Schultz hits in a run on a grounder to third. 2 outs here. 3-0

Reactions: parrott
This guy had given up 0 home runs and just 1 run this spring and UK went back to back on him.

Rhodes does it as well. Sweet Jesus that swing was pure. Over the UK bullpen. 9-0 UK.

Hill with a triple past first and he scores on an Estep grounder through the right side. Schultz grounded into a double play and Bama goes to the pen.

10-0

First pitch... home run down the line. 3 straight at bats with a home run by Collett. Hahaha wow.

Pretty damn good weekend for UK athletics. Baseball has an outstanding sunday to win a must-win series. Softball ahead in game 2 to win the series if they hang on. And obviously volleyball wins a national title. Road ahead in baseball is murderous (UT, UF, USC, Vandy), but today was a good start.

Reactions: SeanCain
Best thing about this baseball season so far is that we still have a baseball season to care about. 9 and 9 is better than what I expected although I still think it's unlikely we make the NCAA tournament

Reactions: parrott
Best thing about this baseball season so far is that we still have a baseball season to care about. 9 and 9 is better than what I expected although I still think it's unlikely we make the NCAA tournament
Glad they pulled out the series. But you are right. Doubtful this team sniffs the NCAA tournament.
Next four series:
At Tennessee
Florida
USC
At Vandy
Absolutely brutal. They could play decent baseball and still go 2-10. The very best scenario is win one against both UT and Vandy and then take 2 of 3 against Florida and USC. That isn’t happening.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Glad they pulled out the series. But you are right. Doubtful this team sniffs the NCAA tournament.
Next four series:
At Tennessee
Florida
USC
At Vandy
Absolutely brutal. They could play decent baseball and still go 2-10. The very best scenario is win one against both UT and Vandy and then take 2 of 3 against Florida and USC. That isn’t happening.
Got to get to 14 wins meaning 5-7 over last 12

Next four series:
At Tennessee
Florida
USC
At Vandy

I'm a bit more optimistic this morning than I have been. Not necessarily because I think we can go 5-7, but because I think we can get pretty close.

Then, maybe, maybe we can win a few games in the SEC tournament to get us over the hump.

We're currently in 9th. We're probably not dropping much more than that. We could fall behind Alabama, but we are 3 games ahead of LSU, so that's a touch comfortable.

So, if things ended today we would play Georgia in game one. Then we get into double elimination where we could steal another. Worst case scenario, we fall behind Alabama and LSU and fall to 11th. If that happens we're playing someone like USC, UF or Miss State in game 1.

I'm a bit more optimistic this morning than I have been. Not necessarily because I think we can go 5-7, but because I think we can get pretty close.

Then, maybe, maybe we can win a few games in the SEC tournament to get us over the hump.

We're currently in 9th. We're probably not dropping much more than that. We could fall behind Alabama, but we are 3 games ahead of LSU, so that's a touch comfortable.

So, if things ended today we would play Georgia in game one. Then we get into double elimination where we could steal another. Worst case scenario, we fall behind Alabama and LSU and fall to 11th. If that happens we're playing someone like USC, UF or Miss State in game 1.
They had an opportunity to create some cushion heading into this last month. Should have swept Missouri, won the series against LSU and Georgia and taken one from Mississippi State. They would be sitting at 13-5 right now and 28-9 overall.
Coulda woulda shoulda.

Last edited:
They had an opportunity to create some cushion heading into this last month. Should have swept Missouri, won the series against LSU and Georgia and taken one from Mississippi State. They would sitting at 13-5 right now and 28-9 overall.
Coulda woulda shoulda.

Truth be told, our schedule for the most part could not have been much easier. We got to play two of the worst teams in the league in Auburn and Missouri and the other two west opponents were both at home and both are average at best. We did have Miss State, so that was difficult, but we avoided Arkansas and Ole Miss. So, it could have been more difficult than it has been.

Obviously, it gets tougher from here on out... so we will see how we fair. It won't be easy, but I am hoping that if UK gets close to the 14 that we can get a few more wins in the SEC tournament and that can be something to help put us over the top and into the tournament as well.

I could also just be living on the high of yesterday and my head is stupidly in the clouds. A good sign is that UT often plays their opponents close, regardless of who they play. So, maybe UK can steal a game from them like TAMU did this weekend.

I'm caught between comebakatz optimism and Irishcats pessimism. Kentucky absolutely blew some chances to be setting better going into the last month of the season. Based on the schedule, its hard to find optimism is being 9-9 in conference play. And the last month is an absolute gauntlet. I think best case scenario. UK goes 5-7. I just don't see this team winning two series. I could be wrong. And I hope I'm wrong. Id like nothing more that them to march into Knoxville and sweep that series this weekend and do it loudly but Tennessee is just good. But, like Comebakatz said, UT plays their opponents close. Hopefully UK can take advantage of that. Lot of baseball left to be played. And a lot of things could happen over the next 4 weeks. Lets just hope UK is up to the challenge.

I don't think it's crazy for us to hope for 14 SEC wins. The key is not getting swept on the road. We absolutely must win at least one this weekend. UT has been excellent this year, but their bullpen has choked away a couple of games that they absolutely had won against UF and A&M.

I think we can win either the UF or USC series at home. Winning any game at Vandy is going to be tough as hell.

So, if we go 1-2 against UT, 1-2 against UF, 2-1 against USC, then that leaves us needing 1 win against Vandy the last weekend of the year.

Tough but not impossible...

I don't think it's crazy for us to hope for 14 SEC wins. The key is not getting swept on the road. We absolutely must win at least one this weekend. UT has been excellent this year, but their bullpen has choked away a couple of games that they absolutely had won against UF and A&M.

I think we can win either the UF or USC series at home. Winning any game at Vandy is going to be tough as hell.

So, if we go 1-2 against UT, 1-2 against UF, 2-1 against USC, then that leaves us needing 1 win against Vandy the last weekend of the year.

Tough but not impossible...

You’re not crazy and you’re right. It’s tough but entirely doable. The one thing that you don’t want to happen isn going into that Vandy series needing 2 of 3. The main reason why a .500 conference record is important, is that’s almost a lock for the NCAA tournament. 14-16 will get ya there. But you’ll need help. 14-16 and a first round loss in the SEC then you chances at a bid is almost extinguished.

Reactions: wildcatwolverine
Starting pitching was solid against Alabama. Stupp had a quality start through 6 and then poor defense got him in the 7th. Harney and Lee were both dominant. Statistically, Alabama has a pretty good offense. Who knows? Maybe these three starters and a few runs here and there can get us to 14 wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT