Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
#1 UL
#2 Kansas
#3 Maryland IMO best team in the nation right now
#4 Ohio State
#5 Duke
#6 UK

I, for one, have always disagreed. Rankings always matter UNTIL the brackets are set.. then it’s rankings out the window.

never understood the popular notion that early season rankings don’t matter when you’re fighting for a high seed in the tourney.

imagine if our preseason ranking had been 15 this year and we got beat by Evansville..

you’re welcome for the paradigm shift.

I hate to say it, but I know how they are and Dook will jump us. It looked like the really stuck it to them for losing to SHF, but if you noticed the points at 2 spots ahead we were only like 13 pts ahead of them which is nothing. Beating FD won't be enough to hold them back after beating Mich St at Mich St.

All that matters is when we get our big shots at U6 and OSU that we make the most of it. If we beat both those Top 5 teams we will be one of the toughest teams in the country.

Doubt we jump Michigan
Why not? They looked like absolute crap and got beat severely by another team that looked like crap. Yes, Loserville is ranked # 1, but they still looked average at best and very few, if any, think they’re really the best team in the country.

Why not? They looked like absolute crap and got beat severely by another team that looked like crap. Yes, Loserville is ranked # 1, but they still looked average at best and very few, if any, think they’re really the best team in the country.
Michigan should have never been taken from unranked to 4th. This isn't a year of great college teams were doing what they did in 2 games matters all that much. Top 5 teams are getting beat by 25-30 pts. It was an overreaction in a year of mediocre college BB. If they rank like that all year then it will be a joke. Purdue who has loss 3 times I think just beat #5 by 29pts so should they now be ranked 12th? They need to correct the overreaction and place Michigan about 10th at best.

Michigan should have never been taken from unranked to 4th. This isn't a year of great college teams were doing what they did in 2 games matters all that much. Top 5 teams are getting beat by 25-30 pts. It was an overreaction in a year of mediocre college BB. If they rank like that all year then it will be a joke. Purdue who has loss 3 times I think just beat #5 by 29pts so should they now be ranked 12th? They need to correct the overreaction and place Michigan about 10th at best.

I agree and previously said the same thing about bumping them that much for two games.

Louisville is awful on so many level. I don’t dispute that but Michigan still has better wins and loss to number 1 in the eyes of the voters vs UK with the Evansville loss.

Reactions: Fox2monk
#1 OSU
#2 Kansas
#3 Maryland
#4 Duke
#5 UK
#6 Ari
#7 UL
#8 Auburn
#9 Memphis
#10 Indiana

This is a year that the rankings will dramatically change on a week to week basis because imo there is not a team that is head and shoulders better than the rest of the field.Feb and March will be a hell of a ride to see who is playing well then.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
We are no where near a Top 10 team this year. All that 5 star talent and not getting it done is on the coaches.
If we aren't a Top 10 team name me 10 better teams with what we have seen so far. A lot of Top 10 teams getting beat by 20, 25, and 29 this week. I don't see any game this year where we get blown out like that.

I don't think UK is very good right now. Good news though, I don't think anyone looks very good night in and out right now. Title looks to be wide open this year. Ohio St and UL look to be as good or better than anyone so we're going to get to see soon how much if any we have ahead of us

I wager a sizable amount of $$ on basketball every day. And (for me) three things are for certain:

1) I do not know how good UK is or where we rank
2) I do not know who should be ranked in the Top 10
3) I would be bankrupt if I bet $$ based on rankings

Yeah pushing Michigan that far off one stretch of games was dumb. They looked terrible against UofL. I’ll give UofL credit for good defense but MI couldn’t hit the broad side of the barn and didn’t have tremendous athletes that could get a bucket when needed.

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
I don't think UK is very good right now. Good news though, I don't think anyone looks very good night in and out right now. Title looks to be wide open this year. Ohio St and UL look to be as good or better than anyone so we're going to get to see soon how much if any we have ahead of us

If we come away with two W’s I bet the tide of thinking will change big time on here.

We are no where near a Top 10 team this year. All that 5 star talent and not getting it done is on the coaches.
How is that we clearly have a top 10 backcourt and Richards and Montgomery are as talented as it gets in the frontcourt. We literally have 3 5* freshman players who are pretty clueless but at least 1 or 2 will figure it out like always. Sounds like a top 10 team to me.

Reactions: Fgpoe03
Win out....and beat Ohio State....#1 vs. #2 in Rupp Arena? Still possible!

I, for one, have always disagreed. Rankings always matter UNTIL the brackets are set.. then it’s rankings out the window.

never understood the popular notion that early season rankings don’t matter when you’re fighting for a high seed in the tourney.

imagine if our preseason ranking had been 15 this year and we got beat by Evansville..

I typically agree, but why would seeds matter in the current college basketball landscape?

We're seeing top 15 teams get pummeled on almost a nightly basis. Who are the elite teams this season?

Meanwhile, most of us obsessed over rankings/seeds the last few years only to see UK do quite well with some of its hardest roads to the Final Four when we thought they got screwed on Selection Sunday (2011, 2014), and to come up short when the path seemed clear with only injured, lesser talented teams awaiting us (Kansas State, Auburn).

So, I get the general premise that rankings matter from a seeding perspective (and maybe the first game), but I'm not sure how they matter this season beyond maybe a geographic component, and even there, we've seen UK play games relatively close to home when they've had 3, 4, 5, and 6 seeds.

This season just has that 2011/2014 type vibe. I personally think it will be a wild west show when the tournament gets here and all the huffing and puffing over seeds and rankings will go out the door before the first weekend is over.

I typically agree, but why would seeds matter in the current college basketball landscape?

We're seeing top 15 teams get pummeled on almost a nightly basis. Who are the elite teams this season?

Meanwhile, most of us obsessed over rankings/seeds the last few years only to see UK do quite well with some of its hardest roads to the Final Four when we thought they got screwed on Selection Sunday (2011, 2014), and to come up short when the path seemed clear with only injured, lesser talented teams awaiting us (Kansas State, Auburn).

So, I get the general premise that rankings matter from a seeding perspective (and maybe the first game), but I'm not sure how they matter this season beyond maybe a geographic component, and even there, we've seen UK play games relatively close to home when they've had 3, 4, 5, and 6 seeds.

This season just has that 2011/2014 type vibe. I personally think it will be a wild west show when the tournament gets here and all the huffing and puffing over seeds and rankings will go out the door before the first weekend is over.
High seeds (2 and especially 1 seeds) overwhelmingly win the National Championship every single year. That’s a historical FACT! Seeds do matter.

They haven't played anywhere nearlike a top 10 team. For one once we play Power 5 teams our half court offense is at least still a few weeks behind other programs and that is where Cal's bad sets that can't get it done in March against K State and AU of all teams.

That Mich St win wasn't so good after all. They lose to Ohio St or ul then we are a joke to this program standards

They haven't played anywhere nearlike a top 10 team. For one once we play Power 5 teams our half court offense is at least still a few weeks behind other programs and that is where Cal's bad sets that can't get it done in March against K State and AU of all teams.

That Mich St win wasn't so good after all. They lose to Ohio St or ul then we are a joke to this program standards

Cal has more NCAAT wins and more wins versus top 4 Seeds (by far) than EVERY other coach in America the last 10 years. Hate for those facts to expose folks who simply are not very bright

Rack.

It all matters, our pre-season ranking, our ranking in December, our ranking in March.

#1 UL
#2 Kansas
#3 Maryland IMO best team in the nation right now
#4 Ohio State
#5 Duke
#6 UK
I think that’s the top 4 if none of them lose. I to think Duke jumps us, and Gonzaga to if they win at #22 Washington. They were only 1 point behind us. That would have us at #7. I wouldn’t be totally shocked if Michigan only falls to #7. It was a road loss to #1.

High seeds (2 and especially 1 seeds) overwhelmingly win the National Championship every single year. That’s a historical FACT! Seeds do matter.

UK has never won a title unless they were a 1 or 2 seed (or that level before seeding started)

1948 1 seed level
1949 1 seed level
1951 1 seed level
1958 2 seed level
1978 1 seed level
1996 1 seed
1998 2 seed
2012 1 seed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT