ADVERTISEMENT

Cats ranked #15 in latest AP Poll

RMorris33

Senior
Oct 26, 2006
GH2NOV7WMAEhDfT

Beating Vandy at home won't count for much either way. Beating Tennessee could push us into a POSSIBLE 3 seed. But we'd need to back that up in the tourney.

I still think we are a 4 with a ceiling of the Elite 8 and likely not getting past Sweet 16. You just can't hardly overcome a defensive efficiency rating as bad as ours.

Beating Vandy at home won't count for much either way. Beating Tennessee could push us into a POSSIBLE 3 seed. But we'd need to back that up in the tourney.

I still think we are a 4 with a ceiling of the Elite 8 and likely not getting past Sweet 16. You just can't hardly overcome a defensive efficiency rating as bad as ours.
Miami did last year. Almost identical rankings on Off and Def, but we are a league above them offensively. They made the Final Four.

Miami did last year. Almost identical rankings on Off and Def, but we are a league above them offensively. They made the Final Four.

LMAO exactly. They were literally 99th last year in adjusted-D, and that's AFTER they saw a bump from their tournament run.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I totally forgot about Miami in the Final Four last season. Two south Florida teams in the Final Four. Wow. Lived in Boca Raton for fifteen years. Now in New Mexico watching Mash JR kicking butt.

Reactions: BigKari
But just making a final 4 is huge.
Yes, but in the discussion about historically had defenses, making the F4 is probably where it comes to a crashing end. Offense tends to tighten up on the stage (especially in football stadiums - 2011, anyone?!) and rely more on defense.

It takes four wins to make a Final Four, and we've not won four in a row since Jan. 9th when we beat Missouri. Of course, we'll probably do that again this week against Vandy.

A win at UT will give us five in a row and go a LONG way toward me thinking a Final Four is even possible. Here's hopin'

Miami didn’t win a title. I don’t know any real Kentucky fan pulling for us to just make a ff. And that Miami team the same as this season sucks. We have to play better defense period

I do not get how Auburn is ahead of UK ? Or how they have a Net ranking of 6? 22-7, same record in conference as UK, UK beat them on their floor by dd's. Their only decent non conference games played, they lost (Baylor / App. State). They had a horrible out of conference schedule. UK has a win over UNC out of conference, played Kansas (had them beat), Gonzaga (same). UK played 3 tough opponents OOC, winning 1, losing 2 close / winnable games. Auburn only played 2 (with App. State being a decent OOC game), and lost BOTH. ZERO OOC quality wins, we have better in conference wins, beat them, they have a Net ranking of 6, UK ranked 20th. There is NO explanation as to how that can be remotely possible.
OOC games :
UK - Kansas UNC Gonzaga
Auburn - Baylor App. State

Miami didn’t win a title. I don’t know any real Kentucky fan pulling for us to just make a ff. And that Miami team the same as this season sucks. We have to play better defense period

The guy he was quoting said UK has an elite 8 ceiling due to defensive efficiency.

Illinois is who I just don't get.
They are the ONLY non-mid-major top 25 team that has not beaten 1 (not 1) single other team currently in the top 25. And they have 7 losses, and 5 conference losses.
Their best wins are vs NET #22 & NET #23.
Their losses are to #2, #5, #14, #22, #53, #74, #94

Meanwhile UK has 8 losses, also 5 conference losses, and wins over NET #6, #7, & #9.
Our losses are to #5, #16, #18, #33, #47, #54, #88, #112

Well, and Duke is equally miss ranked.
Duke has 6 losses, 4 conference losses in a conference worse than the Big 10 and much worse than the SEC.
Their best wins are vs NET #13 & #25.
Their losses are to #4, #9, #31, #44, #121, #134
That is 2 losses worse than our worst loss, and 0 wins better than our best 3 wins.

Nowhere did I say I was "pulling for us to just make a FF". If you read the post I replied to, they said ceiling was E8 or S16 at a 4 seed due to our defensive woes. I pointed to an example where a team made a FF with same rankings in defense and offense.

Focus when you read and stop trying to jab at people with garbage responses.

Yes, but in the discussion about historically had defenses, making the F4 is probably where it comes to a crashing end. Offense tends to tighten up on the stage (especially in football stadiums - 2011, anyone?!) and rely more on defense.
Well let's be the first horrible defense to win the whole thing.

Just because it's never been done doesn't mean it can't be done.

Illinois (22-7) and Creighton (22-8) are debatable.

Creighton has some very nice wins, Bama by 3, UCONN (split the year) and Marquette (w/o Kolek)
Some pretty bad losses as well (like MOST teams this year)
Colorado State by 21 (decent team, but got spanked by them)
UNLV by 15
@home to Nova
@home to Butler
Providence
St. Johns

I do not get how Auburn is ahead of UK ? Or how they have a Net ranking of 6? 22-7, same record in conference as UK, UK beat them on their floor by dd's. Their only decent non conference games played, they lost (Baylor / App. State). They had a horrible out of conference schedule. UK has a win over UNC out of conference, played Kansas (had them beat), Gonzaga (same). UK played 3 tough opponents OOC, winning 1, losing 2 close / winnable games. Auburn only played 2 (with App. State being a decent OOC game), and lost BOTH. ZERO OOC quality wins, we have better in conference wins, beat them, they have a Net ranking of 6, UK ranked 20th. There is NO explanation as to how that can be remotely possible.
OOC games :
UK - Kansas UNC Gonzaga
Auburn - Baylor App. State
Auburn 1-7 vs Quad 1, 3 top 50 NET wins (1 top ten NET win)
UK 5-5 vs Quad 1, 6 top 50 NET wins (3 top ten NET wins)
Absolutely zero comparison.

I have to laugh at the handful of clowns in this thread that now seem to be of the belief that even a FF is not good enough. Even though early in the season people around here were asked what would it take for fans to be happy again - nearly everyone said at a minimum, a Final Four. Preference was NC, but FF was the overall majority "vote" for a feeling of a return to happiness.

Yet in here just saying Miami made it to the Final Four with same off/def rankings as we have today and implying we have just as good of a chance, if not better, at making the Final Four (not finishing, but at least GETTING THERE) is somehow now "lowered expectations". So idiotic our fans.

I will never be a fan of playing the most important games of the year in such a disastrous setup. Totally changes the game IMO and becomes an adjustment contest on who can adjust to the surroundings better. To your point, 2011 UK was the far better team as they were in 2014. Wish people would stop buying tickets to those garbage setups and get back to playing where they should be played, you know, like a basketball gym. Imagine the Super Bowl being played on a beach, just a different game.

The guy he was quoting said UK has an elite 8 ceiling due to defensive efficiency.
We may have a sweet sixteen or 32 because of defensive efficiency. We could get knocked out rd 1. This pointing to one outlier here and there well those are exceptions. The tournament will be very unforgiving if this is how we go in.

Reactions: know1
It takes four wins to make a Final Four, and we've not won four in a row since Jan. 9th when we beat Missouri. Of course, we'll probably do that again this week against Vandy.

A win at UT will give us five in a row and go a LONG way toward me thinking a Final Four is even possible. Here's hopin'
If we get the rebound vs LSU would be on a 6 game winning streak right now.

In fairness to them, they played UConn closer than anyone in the tournament.
I know the 2nd half of the Iona/UConn game was a route but thought Pitino's Iona team did well getting the halftime lead but they obviously were going to run out of steam. Hoping this UK team can string together a late season run to win it all like the Huskies did last year.

Interesting,
Most voters have us 11-16.
The lone voter not giving UK a vote is Kansas St.
Others voting us lower than most (17-20) come from Texas, Nevada, Illinois, Indiana, LSU and Florida.
WTF with 2 SEC schools voting us below where others are.
The 2 with us in top 10 (at 8) are Dayton, and (sit down for this) UNC/Duke.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
Interesting,
Most voters have us 11-16.
The lone voter not giving UK a vote is Kansas St.
Others voting us lower than most (17-20) come from Texas, Nevada, Illinois, Indiana, LSU and Florida.
WTF with 2 SEC schools voting us below where others are.
The 2 with us in top 10 (at 8) are Dayton, and (sit down for this) UNC/Duke.

• Haha
Reactions: mcwildcats04
Yea and they had way less options than we do. We are deeper with offensive talent than last years Miami was. Sure the same metrics but metrics don't count depth.

Reactions: TheDude73
I have to laugh at the handful of clowns in this thread that now seem to be of the belief that even a FF is not good enough. Even though early in the season people around here were asked what would it take for fans to be happy again - nearly everyone said at a minimum, a Final Four. Preference was NC, but FF was the overall majority "vote" for a feeling of a return to happiness.

Yet in here just saying Miami made it to the Final Four with same off/def rankings as we have today and implying we have just as good of a chance, if not better, at making the Final Four (not finishing, but at least GETTING THERE) is somehow now "lowered expectations". So idiotic our fans.
A lot of us said we would tolerate a FF but would only be happy with a NC. I never saw any poll that suggested the majority of posters would be happy with just a FF after what we’ve had to tolerate the last few seasons.

But if you have a poll you’re thinking of, from this site, that you could link in a reply I’m open to changing my mind.

I don’t think being happy with a FF makes you a bad fan. But I do think calling UK fans makes you a bad fan. And it could indicate that you really aren’t a fan of UK. I’m not saying you aren’t, just telling you the optics of a statement like that.

Win out and I like our chances.

Split and keep it close at UT and we could still make a run.

Split and get waxed at UT and I temper.

Loss both and well…. Just hang it up.

In past years it looks like they don't even consider the sec tournament
I think Sunday they don't hardly at all. But If we win 3 games Thursday-Saturday, or perhaps even 2, we can nail down a 4. That said I'd rather be a 3 or 6. Was hoping Duke and Baylor would lose last night to help us get up to the 3 line. Now it may be hard to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT