ADVERTISEMENT

Cats Living Rent Free In Gamecocks Heads

That is fantastic.

People are finally realizing that we passed USCjr on the SEC foodchain.

4 straight wins don't lie, that's bottom line. We will take their best shot again this year and they will be good.

That is fantastic.

4 straight wins don't lie, that's bottom line. We will take their best shot again this year and they will be good.

They won’t be good, but we will take their best shot.

They will be better than they were last year, but so will we. I expect another 10 point next next year at home.

Time to flip the script on our conference brethren. Maybe someday his son can play for Carolina and talk the talk too... about the same streak extended... and our program have no shameful active streaks for which it must answer.

They won’t be good, but we will take their best shot.

They will be better than they were last year, but so will we. I expect another 10 point next next year at home.

Yeah, I should have qualified that to "pretty good".

But they have Bentley and he is dangerous. That's really who I was thinking about because we controlled both LOS last year. I had fun walking out of that stadium with a W.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I definitely think that we have a excellent chance of winning at home next year, but I cannot ignore the fact they to are a rebuilding squad and by the end of the year last year, they were the better team, they had a better year even though we beat them, I would imagine if yo made betting lines today, they would be favored

I have long maintained that SC was UK's true SEC "football peer". By that I mean great fan support but so-so football over the years. I'm sure the context here is the current 4 game win streak over the Gamecocks but UK's overall record is 11-17-1. The Cats are 10-16 against SC since they joined the SEC.

Muschamp's second team started playing better about mid-season and finished the year playing better than the Cats. I have no idea about their returnees but it should be another good game this year.

Peace

Uhhhhhhhhh, they lost both the greatest linebacker in their program history and best TE in the SEC.

Deebo's a freak, but I expect a win in Lexington.

They were certainly improving as the season wound down. No idea what were going to look like at QB so hard to say this year.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
That is fantastic.

We have beaten them 4 times in a row but they finished 2nd in the East, won 9 games and beat Michigan. They had a much better year than we had so I wouldn't say that we have passed them up on the food chain. In fact most SEC fans probably don't realize our win streak over them.

Blake Bone, our WR from S Carolina was 4-0 against his home state school.

Drops mic ...

Let’s make it 5 in a row! No reason why an experienced team at home shouldn’t have a shot vs a similar opponent as far as sec standing and rebuilding of their roster.

Yeah, I should have qualified that to "pretty good".

But they have Bentley and he is dangerous. That's really who I was thinking about because we controlled both LOS last year. I had fun walking out of that stadium with a W.

I live in Columbia. We should handle Bentley just like we did this year. I did too

Reactions: Cazwheel1072
I have long maintained that SC was UK's true SEC "football peer". By that I mean great fan support but so-so football over the years. I'm sure the context here is the current 4 game win streak over the Gamecocks but UK's overall record is 11-17-1. The Cats are 10-16 against SC since they joined the SEC.

Muschamp's second team started playing better about mid-season and finished the year playing better than the Cats. I have no idea about their returnees but it should be another good game this year.

Peace
Don't disagree WC but still find it amusing you took the time to look up stats before posting your now very predictable passive aggressive dig.

Don't disagree WC but still find it amusing you took the time to look up stats before posting your now very predictable passive aggressive dig.
I like to talk football but I am not exactly a cheerleader - here or on the Cardinal board. Passive aggressive dig or not I try to back up what I post. Otherwise I try to remember to add a "JMO or IMO)" note - I'm sure sometimes I forget.

But I did clearly remember the Cats had a 10 game losing streak against SC before starting the current 4 game win streak. That made me wonder about the overall against SC.

Peace

That's going to be kind of hard to do being in Lexington and Kentucky should be better than they were the last three seasons. Stoops needs to put that on the bulletin board now where they can make sure to shut his mouth and ruin his senior year.

I like to talk football but I am not exactly a cheerleader - here or on the Cardinal board. Passive aggressive dig or not I try to back up what I post. Otherwise I try to remember to add a "JMO or IMO)" note - I'm sure sometimes I forget.

But I did clearly remember the Cats had a 10 game losing streak against SC before starting the current 4 game win streak. That made me wonder about the overall against SC.

Peace

Actually UK would have a pretty good record against them if not for several years we should have won the game (IMO) but didn't. One where BOTH CBs were out and their All American WR caught four TDs (IIRC, something extravagant) against our true freshman that had only played one year of HS ball, I believe. The year Hartline was having a breakout game and we were in control before the referee let someone tear up his knee on a DEAD BALL PLAY. I think that is the year we rebounded by beating Georgia and maybe Auburn on the road. The time we were beating them down there when Little (who didn't fumble much) lost the ball on the first play of three consecutive possessions in the second half, another close game. Then I remember in Lexington in another close game when they scored on one of Spurriers trick plays, a reverse throwback to the QB for a TD.

We were snakebit for a while there, now it is their turn.

Peace
I can appreciate that, it just makes me smile when reading your posts that there will always be an underlying attempt to throw a little cold water on the prevailing sentiment of anyone crowing for the Cats. And in most cases it involves some research too.

Your post follow the same 3 part pattern my preacher uses every Sunday . . . greets us with announcements and info, in the middle slips in how we are all going to hell if we don't straighten up, then closes with a smile and prayer to have a great week:)

Im just pickin, you know your stuff and I find myself agreeing with you a lot despite the subliminal messaging!

Reactions: jauk11

Peace

I actually agree with you here, except on SC fan support. If more of our fans would put more importance on these teams with games and recruiting battles and less on trying to beat Louisville in both, the Louisville game would take care of itself year in and year out with a Kentucky victory.

We have nothing to gain from beating Louisville, but everything to lose. However, we would have much to gain consistently beating SEC teams like SC, TN, etc. Hopefully those expectations come with continuing to improve on the field.

They went balls-to-the-wall to beat us at their place last year with the blackout, and they still came up short. I think we just have their number just like Florida always seem to have our number. Funny how some of these streaks work and the longer the streak the more exciting the games seem to be. I think both teams figure to be better next year, we have an overall experience and depth advantage but they will most certainly have an advantage at quarterback. It's a game I really look forward to.

Reactions: The-Hack
They went balls-to-the-wall to beat us at their place last year with the blackout, and they still came up short. I think we just have their number just like Florida always seem to have our number. Funny how some of these streaks work and the longer the streak the more exciting the games seem to be. I think both teams figure to be better next year, we have an overall experience and depth advantage but they will most certainly have an advantage at quarterback. It's a game I really look forward to.

Good post, but few things in life are absolutely certain, certainly they have a big advantage at QB based on experience and track record (although I didn't think their QB lived up to his considerable hype this year), but I have pretty high hopes for our QB--------whichever one it is, maybe even a changeup occasionally.

...Im just pickin, you know your stuff and I find myself agreeing with you a lot despite the subliminal messaging!
Well, thank you. I can live with that! :cool:

I actually agree with you here, except on SC fan support. If more of our fans would put more importance on these teams with games and recruiting battles and less on trying to beat Louisville in both, the Louisville game would take care of itself year in and year out with a Kentucky victory.

We have nothing to gain from beating Louisville, but everything to lose. However, we would have much to gain consistently beating SEC teams like SC, TN, etc. Hopefully those expectations come with continuing to improve on the field.
Thank you as well, but I am a bit confused about a couple of things in your post.

Regarding SC fan support...you disagree about fan support of SC football? They have averaged about 79,000/game over the past 10 years with a low of 75,369 in 2009, a 7-6 year.

Secondly, other than simply "hated rival" talk I have never really understood the denigration of the UofL game by many UK fans. Sure, conference wins are important but so are rivalry wins. I simply cannot see how playing UofL (last game of the season no less) has any impact on UK winning games in the SEC.

I will note that most in state rivalries are also conference games. In such cases both "competition aspects" are served. If you consider a game against an OOC but in state P5 rival (especially one that has had considerable success the past 20 years or so) as an "everything to lose, nothing to gain" proposition I will not try to change your mind.

But it makes me wonder. Do SC fans feel the same about about playing Clemson? Do FL fans feel the same about playing FSU and Miami? Do GA fans feel the same about playing GA Tech?

Peace

Actually UK would have a pretty good record against them if not for several years we should have won the game (IMO) but didn't. One where BOTH CBs were out and their All American WR caught four TDs (IIRC, something extravagant) against our true freshman that had only played one year of HS ball, I believe. The year Hartline was having a breakout game and we were in control before the referee let someone tear up his knee on a DEAD BALL PLAY. I think that is the year we rebounded by beating Georgia and maybe Auburn on the road. The time we were beating them down there when Little (who didn't fumble much) lost the ball on the first play of three consecutive possessions in the second half, another close game. Then I remember in Lexington in another close game when they scored on one of Spurriers trick plays, a reverse throwback to the QB for a TD.

We were snakebit for a while there, now it is their turn.
Dont forget the key 1st down where one of the refs picked the ball up and moved it past the stick for usc. I think that was stoops first year.

Well, thank you. I can live with that! :cool:

Thank you as well, but I am a bit confused about a couple of things in your post.

Regarding SC fan support...you disagree about fan support of SC football? They have averaged about 79,000/game over the past 10 years with a low of 75,369 in 2009, a 7-6 year.

Secondly, other than simply "hated rival" talk I have never really understood the denigration of the UofL game by many UK fans. Sure, conference wins are important but so are rivalry wins. I simply cannot see how playing UofL (last game of the season no less) has any impact on UK winning games in the SEC.

I will note that most in state rivalries are also conference games. In such cases both "competition aspects" are served. If you consider a game against an OOC but in state P5 rival (especially one that has had considerable success the past 20 years or so) as an "everything to lose, nothing to gain" proposition I will not try to change your mind.

But it makes me wonder. Do SC fans feel the same about about playing Clemson? Do FL fans feel the same about playing FSU and Miami? Do GA fans feel the same about playing GA Tech?

Peace

Some of that is opposing teams fans. I live here and can tell you that this state has a lot of people from everywhere. So when their team plays SC, they also show up. Look at Away games for SC. They usually have trouble filling up their section.

As you’ll know, I’ve never considered Louisville a rival, as Kentucky has historically had much more important rivals to compete against. Kentucky could have always been a good football program, but chose not to for whatever reason. That is on Kentucky.

Until 2 years ago, this game was played at the beginning of the season, which is truly where it should’ve stayed, as this really shouldn’t even be much of a rivalry. Credit goes to Louisville for making it competitive.

With that said, it finally seems like Kentucky seems to be taking the sport more seriously. It’s really just a matter of time before what we see in basketball between the two schools, happens in football, as well. From a financial standpoint, Louisville just cannot compete with Kentucky and never has been able too.

You’re giving yourself too much credit. I think the main difference between all those examples you just mentioned are against teams that have always been in major conferences, Louisville has not. In fact, most of those teams have only been in one other conference, where Louisville changes conferences like most people change underwear.

Finally, with all the issues the basketball team has had over the years with the NCAA and now the federal government, how do we know that the Louisville football program hasn’t won under the same circumstances?

Reactions: rudd1 and bluecoon1
Some of that is opposing teams fans. I live here and can tell you that this state has a lot of people from everywhere. So when their team plays SC, they also show up. Look at Away games for SC. They usually have trouble filling up their section.

As you’ll know, I’ve never considered Louisville a rival, as Kentucky has historically had much more important rivals to compete against. Kentucky could have always been a good football program, but chose not to for whatever reason. That is on Kentucky.

Until 2 years ago, this game was played at the beginning of the season, which is truly where it should’ve stayed, as this really shouldn’t even be much of a rivalry. Credit goes to Louisville for making it competitive.

With that said, it finally seems like Kentucky seems to be taking the sport more seriously. It’s really just a matter of time before what we see in basketball between the two schools, happens in football, as well. From a financial standpoint, Louisville just cannot compete with Kentucky and never has been able too.

You’re giving yourself too much credit. I think the main difference between all those examples you just mentioned are against teams that have always been in major conferences, Louisville has not. In fact, most of those teams have only been in one other conference, where Louisville changes conferences like most people change underwear.

Finally, with all the issues the basketball team has had over the years with the NCAA and now the federal government, how do we know that the Louisville football program hasn’t won under the same circumstances?

Just a matter of time IMO. Anyone who would allow Hurtt on the sideline thinks they’re teflon.

BigBlue, we disagree on some things but we do so respectfully. I will add 1 final thought about a "rivalry". Opponents are not necessarily rivals. A rivalry requires both sides to feel the same about the other and see the competition as more than just another game.

I have heard UK fans say TN, SC or (insert other team's name here) are UK's "rivals". Sure those teams want to beat UK from a conference standing perspective but I am very doubtful they consider UK a "rival".

Without question, UofL has had a much longer, much more financially challenging road to travel than UK. UK's charter member affiliation with the SEC has provided enormous amounts of money over the years. They have not had to work their way up the athletic food chain as UofL has done over the past 50 years.

Until the ACC membership just 4 years ago UofL has hardly seen anything more than pocket change from a conference association. The basketball program has been blown to hell by recent outside and inside actions (just not going to get into that mess) but the other athletic programs appear just fine.

Peace

Dont forget the key 1st down where one of the refs picked the ball up and moved it past the stick for usc. I think that was stoops first year.

As an ex official I like to forget those kind of things.

But yeah, that was a good one. I think letting the play continue and getting Hartline injured on a dead ball play and out for the year was a much worse one AND a lot more damaging, not sure I can remember that happening before, certainly not in any of the thousands of games I officiated in.

Last edited:

Unfortunately we know the answer to your last question, the Godfather was in charge of all their programs. I still think jurich personally vetting Willie, now serving life as a habitual criminal when he could be a millionaire many times over with his God given talent if he had kept his nose clean, or at least the stuff out of it, was one of the most glaring examples of the win at all costs policy he followed in EVERYTHING-----and the policy almost every fan was fine with.

Reactions: BigBlueCatNation
As an ex official I like to forget those kind of things.

But yeah, that was a good one. I think letting the play continue and getting Hartline injured on a dead ball play and out for the year was a much worse one AND a lot more damaging, not sure I can remember that happening before, certainly not in any of the thousands of games I officiated in.
Totally agree, i was amazed the ref didnt stop that play or even throw a flag. You hear all the time "protect the QB". (Except if he plays for UK and having a breakout game). we win that game if hartline doesnt get hurt.

Reactions: jauk11
BigBlue, we disagree on some things but we do so respectfully. I will add 1 final thought about a "rivalry". Opponents are not necessarily rivals. A rivalry requires both sides to feel the same about the other and see the competition as more than just another game.

I have heard UK fans say TN, SC or (insert other team's name here) are UK's "rivals". Sure those teams want to beat UK from a conference standing perspective but I am very doubtful they consider UK a "rival".

Without question, UofL has had a much longer, much more financially challenging road to travel than UK. UK's charter member affiliation with the SEC has provided enormous amounts of money over the years. They have not had to work their way up the athletic food chain as UofL has done over the past 50 years.

Until the ACC membership just 4 years ago UofL has hardly seen anything more than pocket change from a conference association. The basketball program has been blown to hell by recent outside and inside actions (just not going to get into that mess) but the other athletic programs appear just fine.

Peace

Of course we respectfully disagree. There was a time not too long ago that Tennessee did consider us one of their main rivals, which is why we played for the Beer Barrell trophy. Due to unfortunate circumstances, we no longer play for that trophy. That game was also the last game of the season during rivalry week for us, too.

While UK certainly didn’t hold up it’s end of the bargain, it will become a much better rivalry as we continue to improve and climb up the SEC ladder. SC probably wouldn’t consider us a rival, but TN definitely would.

We don’t consider UK to be a rival. Honestly, our only two way rivalry is with Clemson. Georgia would be number two but we are probably their fourth or fifth most hated rival behind Auburn, Florida, Tennessee and maybe Georgia Tech.

Below is the Carolina mentality with Kentucky (not to make anyone mad). In football we expect to win whether home or away. Not that we have a great history but because of the ten year run and our season success since 2000 compared to UK.

It is similar to yalls opinion of us in basketball. Now that is not comparing our football program to your basketball program. With that said, when you beat a team so many times, you just expect to win regardless of how good or bad each other team is.

Like now, y’all are putting us in the automatic win column for next year because y’all have won the last four. Same was said on our end when we rattled off ten in a row.

Reactions: BigBlueCatNation
those are reasonable presumptions until the winning tide shifts. Doesn't matter until you get there, and this year UK has the home field advantage.

I really expect TWO very good teams on the field for next years game, no matter who wins. And it will very likely be a break or two that decides the winner.

I don't see how anyone can say Carolina fans aren't supportive, they always sell out their allotment for our game and will pay well above face value to sit among UGA fans in Athens. During their 0-23 or whatever it was, they sold out every home game. I suppose the 3 big seasons SOS had may have spoiled them a little and they expect to win now, who doesn't. I do think UK, Carolina and UGA are the top 3 teams heading into the 18 season. Even with all the returning starters I believe UK has the biggest question mark heading into spring practice, QB. Probably everyone on campus can replace Johnson's physical ability, but his other qualities are much harder to replace. Like UGA last year, Eason could make throws Fromm could only dream about, it was everything else was missing and I don't think we win SEC with Eason.

Reactions: Ridgecat
Hence the title of the thread.

But UK really isn’t living in our heads. It is mostly disappointment in losses to UK and what it cost us:

2010: beat Alabama and lost to UK the next week. Still made SECCG but was a very disappointing loss.

2015: Loss to UK started the end for Spurrier and a horrific 3 win season.

2016: UK was the worst team we lost to this season.

2017: One of 3 SEC losses but would have still finished second in the east behind UGA. Win gets us in Citrus rather than Outback. Ten win season has us finished ranked.

I will say that I check this board about once a day because y’all talk football on it year round which goes against the stereotype that UK only loves basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT