ADVERTISEMENT

Can we please develop a decent women's program again?

I am a big fan of most UK sports, football, baseball, softball, and both basketball teams. I really think the ladies have just given up. A couple of transfer outs hurt this year as well. Something is going on and we will never know, but I think Elzy is in way over her head. I doubt we will see any changes anytime soon...

Getting beat by 30 points on your home floor by the 3rd place team in the SEC is unacceptable, there is no reason why we can't be a decent competitive program. We are lacking size and and leadership along with coaching. It should be obvious, it's going downhill with not much hope of ever coming out of this funk without a change at the top.

Didn't really care when they were better under Mitchell....don't hardly care any differently under Elzy's awfulness.

The only reason for it to matter is it gives less credence to Barnhardt as a superior AD (to which he's not) and gets him out of the way for when we need to get a basketball and football coach for the men's sports. HIs contracts to Cal especially and lesser degree Stoops are absurd.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Womens basketball needs to wait its turn lol. Fix football and basketball, two teams that drive revenue, making it feasible for other teams to have funding, facilities, staffing etc.

Get those right first.

Honestly....nobody cares about women's basketball.
It's just so terrible to watch. And I say that as a fan of many women's sports - several of which I enjoy the women's version more than the men's.

Women's basketball is almost the most unwatchable sport out there for me. It's awkward looking, rushed, disorganized, sloppy, etc. The only thing that might get me to watch was if UK got to the Final Four. But that would be the first game I watched all year.

Elzy needs fired but I don’t trust the clown Mitch to make the hire again. He needs to be shown the door too. He just keeps making mistake after mistake with all these hires and contracts!

I am a big fan of most UK sports, football, baseball, softball, and both basketball teams. I really think the ladies have just given up. A couple of transfer outs hurt this year as well. Something is going on and we will never know, but I think Elzy is in way over her head. I doubt we will see any changes anytime soon...
Nah…she will be gone. It's inexcusable. The talent disparity is just overwhelming these days. Here is the roster:

Miles - averaged 0.8ppg at Tennessee last year. (started 25 games this year)
Tyler - scored 6 points the entire season last year at UK (started 13 games this year)
Rowe - played 4.1mpg last year at UK (started 12 games this year)
Petty - averaged 5.2ppg last year at UK (started every game she played this year)
Jenkins - averaged 3.2ppg last year at UK (started 13 games this year)
Leveretter - averaged 2,5ppg last year at UK
Russell - averaged 3.7ppg last year at UK
Scherr - averaged 11.6ppg last year at UK (started every game she played this year))
King - averaged 1.3ppg last year for UK (21 starts this year)

Add the following freshman:

Walker - avergaing 0.9ppg this year
Griggs - averaging 0.8ppg this year

It's pathetic. She brought in 2 freshman that just aren't good and she partnered that with a roster that's terrible. I actually feel for the team because a lot of these players are in over their head. They have no business playing major DI basketball.

Mitch will continue chasing the Lady Vol model, despite the fact that Pat summit has a coaching tree as dead as Cal’s. The fact of the matter is Pat/Holly were running an intense grooming operation as much as they were a basketball program. They had their own women’s athletic department, a budget unmatched in the sport, and basically no major competition for a decade. Once Geno got rolling and exposed them for what they were on the recruiting trail, the Lady Vol brand died off.

And yet here we are, 13 years later and Mitch is still chasing the ghost of Pat.

It's just so terrible to watch. And I say that as a fan of many women's sports - several of which I enjoy the women's version more than the men's.

Women's basketball is almost the most unwatchable sport out there for me. It's awkward looking, rushed, disorganized, sloppy, etc. The only thing that might get me to watch was if UK got to the Final Four. But that would be the first game I watched all year.
This. Out of all the Men’s/Womens sports, basketball has the largest and most obvious gap in quality. And for some reason it’s the one the media propaganda machine has chosen to force down everyone’s throats in the name of “equality”….likely since the wnba is a drain to the NBAs Bottom
Line and the other womens sports aren’t attached like a leach to their men’s counterpart.

But if they chose to build and promote a legit female pro league of volleyball, softball, or even a better promotion of the women’s soccer league…all would out perform the wnba. I’d watch women’s hockey over the wnba..and I love basketball but that garbage is like watching a JrHigh or low-mid level highschool game 90% of the time outside of Caitlyn Clark pulling from half court.

The only way to “fix” women’s basketball to make men want to watch other than sexualizing it (bc if women would pull their own weight they wouldn’t have a viewership problem. The country has as many women as men in it) is to lower the goal to 9ft and play on high school size court to make up for the speed of the game difference…take a page from softballs book that plays on essentially a little league field due to the athleticism gap to make it a faster game. But the wnba will never do that bc at this point it’s admitting inferiority. If you want to leave the goals at 10ft then play the width of court-extended with the side goals down so it’ll be fast af. Maybe take 1 player off the floor. 4 on 4. Now it’s a touch different like traditional football vs sprint football. (Speaking of if they make a womens football league it should be sprint football (look it up) on an arena football field)

“An NBA basketball court is 94 feet long and 50 feet wide. In meters, it’s 28.65 m long and 15.24 m wide. The WNBA and NCAA use an identical court size—94 feet long by 50 feet wide.

High school courts are a bit shorter, measuring 84 feet long by 50 feet wide. Junior high courts are even smaller, typically measuring 74 feet long and 42 feet wide. A FIBA court (used during international play such as the Olympics) is 91.86 feet long and 49.21 feet wide.” Tell me what business they have playing on the same size court as the best athletes in the world? The single change of court size would make the product far better simply by playing on 74x42

***never thought I’d spend that much time talking womens basketball

It's a bit of a stretch to expect Mitch to care about women's basketball; I really don't think he cares much about the mens' team either.

They need to shorten goals and the length of the court - or something. Softball works and is entertaining because its 2/3ds the field size of baseball, women can play on that scale, and the sport moves quickly. Volleyball works because women are capable of making the moves, covering the distances, etc. Basketball has made zero concessions on size/rules/etc. and the speed and height required to be good are not common enough in the female population to make it work as a spectator sport.

You missed the point. It has no support through contractual agreements, is subsidized by other sports. Hence…nobody cares.
You just end up repeating nobody cares but yet you keep coming back. There are people who care and the program once filled Memorial when Mitchell was coaching so there are obviously many who care. You never mentioned contractual agreements in your first post but what does that have to do with people caring?

From KSR:
If Kentucky were to relieve Elzy of her duties any time soon, she would be owed over $2.5 million through 2027.

Here are the details for the three remaining years of her contract:
2024-25: $800,000 ($400,000 in endorsements)
2025-26: $825,000 ($425,000 in endorsements)
2026-27: $850,000 ($450,000 in endorsements)

Good grief...

i mean we had a good coach and momentum, but his heart got sick.

Reactions: 55wildcat
You just end up repeating nobody cares but yet you keep coming back. There are people who care and the program once filled Memorial when Mitchell was coaching so there are obviously many who care. You never mentioned contractual agreements in your first post but what does that have to do with people caring?
The Google machine tells me that attendance has been an average of 4,500 people since around 2009 which is a little over half full at Memorial Gym. This data is a few years old and was when they were actually good so I am sure it is much less now. If 10,000 people attended UK men's home games I doubt it would be considered filled. UKWBB draws a little over twice as many people as the volleyball team. The program doesn't make money (It lost $4 million in FY22), ESPN doesn't pay big money to broadcast games, nobody watches when they are on (other than you obviously) and it is a leech on the athletic department. I doubt anyone at UK is interested in overpaying even MORE for a coach for a program that already loses a lot of money.

I am not a female sports hater either. I have watched as much High School girls basketball in my life as probably anyone on this board as I have a family full of girls BB players.

They need to shorten goals and the length of the court - or something. Softball works and is entertaining because its 2/3ds the field size of baseball, women can play on that scale, and the sport moves quickly. Volleyball works because women are capable of making the moves, covering the distances, etc. Basketball has made zero concessions on size/rules/etc. and the speed and height required to be good are not common enough in the female population to make it work as a spectator sport.
My Google machine also tells me this:

Kentucky's attendance numbers have reached impressive heights the last decade as the Wildcats have averaged 5,000 or more fans every year since 2009-10, while seven of the eight most-attended home games in program history have all come the past few years under head coach Matthew Mitchell.

The Wildcats drew big crowds all across the country, not just in Lexington, as a total of 147,477 fans saw Kentucky play during the 2017-18 season, which ranked 11th nationally.

Those are impressive numbers no matter what you think. You gave averages which would include the recent down years. I was talking about the Mitchell years where he became competitive and the team was fun to watch. I went to games in Memorial and both sides of the arena were very filled. Anyway, suffice it to say, the stands did have large crowds in there when winning and being a fun team to follow. Are there any sports, other than football or men's basketball that make money at UK? Please address that nobody cares about any of those either??? Let's just say we disagree on this topic, OK? We're UK fans and I'll try respecting your opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT