ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone tell me what I am missing about Chet Holmgren?

You never saw Dirk/ Porzingus/Jokic/Both Gasol's/ Lamar Odom play ball before?
I have watched them all, but none of those guys are as good at handling the ball compared to what Chet has shown so far. I don't know if he will reach the level of some of those guys, but none of those guys you listed rebound the ball on the defensive end and take it all the way for a layup on a regular basis as Chet does.

This thread is insanity. He is an other worldly, Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson, type talent. He will be one of the best 15 players in the NBA in 5 years.

• Haha
Reactions: Lempface
The tubby lovers thought he was gonna be good. Lol just like Mike Williams, I remember fans on here talking shit to Duke fans on how we were gonna win the title and post pics of Mike Williams lol.
Tubby offered him and never saw him play.

I find it interesting how so many long time posters don't seem to remember some of these discussions. But, it is also interesting that many posters will claim they never said some of those things. I once saved a post of someone claiming that Tubby would be coach of the year during one season at Minnesota. He denied ever saying it so I produced the quote! He pretty much just slithered away. LOL

Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
He may be a good to decent college player. But, to be number one in his class??? The SEC would be brutal for him. Gonzaga is the perfect school for him.

Who cares about the SEC schools against him? Looking at Timme in high school, you'd just assume he was a really tall guy the team used to bring up the GPA for the overall squad. Big, lumbering with moderate athleticism. He still looks like that and made everyone his b**ch this year outside of Baylor. He would have done it to every SEC school, including us. Chet is better than Timme in every category except for who weighs the most.

The closest comparison to Chet outside of Durant is probably Giannis. Durant though was able to grab 11rpg in college. A true one of a kind. I doubt Chet grabs 11rpg but he will definitely have some crazy good games and some games where his body and inexperience will get his ass handed to him. But make no mistakes he will win MOST of the battles he will be in next year. And if he's 190 now I'd wager he will get up to 215 or so by start of season and that should be plenty to get by in college.

Funny how nobody complained about Jalen Suggs competition when he was on the same AAU and high school team as Chet and their AAU team played all over
They played a very tough schedule that season and rolled the "super-team" of high-school basketball in Sierra Canyon. I don't understand the competition angle either.

Reactions: TheOtherGreatOne
The clips I saw he isn’t slow or unathletic. If he can gain a few pounds I think he can be really really good. At his current weight, I don’t see him being anything but average to below average in the NBA.

I want to say I see some Kevin Durant in him but it doesn’t seem like the right comparison. Can someone provide a better comparison?
He like Porzingas. He could be amazing but most 7 foot tall guys can’t do the things he can. That’s why he’s so special. He does need strength but that can be put on.

Reactions: TheOtherGreatOne
Not that anyone is saying he's the next KD.. but Chet is closer to being a total bust than anywhere near KD imo. KD could run point if he needed to. KD is a fantastic defender and has TRUE elite athleticism.. Chet isn't crossing up D1 guards.
True, but he won't have to in college. Few will use him to draw an opposing big out of the paint to open things up. If not, Chet can shoot the 3 well enough to make you pay. He probably won't have much trouble taking other bigs off the dribble if they over extended on the perimeter.

Chet is probably one of the best high school shot blockers ever that can shoot and dribble at 7'. Weight doesn't matter as much as you think since he will go the Giannis and every other NBA player route and roid it up until he gets stronger
I think I saw he averaged around 3.0 blocked shots per game last year. Not hardly on the greatest ever level for a 7'1" guy playing kids 6-8 inches shorter than him if you ask me.

I have watched them all, but none of those guys are as good at handling the ball compared to what Chet has shown so far. I don't know if he will reach the level of some of those guys, but none of those guys you listed rebound the ball on the defensive end and take it all the way for a layup on a regular basis as Chet does.
No way he has a better handle than Odom or Jokic

The game has changed, its about skill. He has that and is 7' tall. Remember when we played Kansas in champions classic and all their fans thought Thomas Robinson would destroy Davis because of the strength factor??? Then remember what happened, twice that year? This kids build is not far off from Durant when he was at Texas, go look at video. A lot of people thought Curry would flop in the NBA due to him being an average athlete and not very strong - he won't be able to get his shot off and all that nonsense.. and now look. Don't write this kid off cause he's skinny and from Minnesota.

The game has changed, its about skill. He has that and is 7' tall. Remember when we played Kansas in champions classic and all their fans thought Thomas Robinson would destroy Davis because of the strength factor??? Then remember what happened, twice that year? This kids build is not far off from Durant when he was at Texas, go look at video. A lot of people thought Curry would flop in the NBA due to him being an average athlete and not very strong - he won't be able to get his shot off and all that nonsense.. and now look. Don't write this kid off cause he's skinny and from Minnesota.
They are not writing him off because he is skinny they are only hoping he failes because he is going to Gonzaga.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Slow and nonathletic?
These types of comments are why lots on here don't need to be on here.
These type of comments are from people wanting Gonzaga to fail so bad it is really stupid. If this guy was going to come to Kentucky these people that are saying how he isn't that good would be pumping him up as the next Anthony Davis. It is rediculius that grown men are so jealous of the Gonzaga program that they try to downgrade every player they have.

Reactions: bigbluedon
These type of comments are from people wanting Gonzaga to fail so bad it is really stupid. If this guy was going to come to Kentucky these people that are saying how he isn't that good would be pumping him up as the next Anthony Davis. It is ridiculous that grown men are so jealous of the Gonzaga program that they try to downgrade every player they have.
*I will add that I recall seeing similar comments here about how Zion wouldn't be that good at a college level. When a top player goes elsewhere it's a hope by saying it that it then proves true.

The Zags can have him from what I've seen. Most of his dominance in high school is simply because of his height. Is he quick, no but he isn't horribly slow either. Can he shoot and dribble, well, I think he'll get eaten alive in major college play. If he's the number 1 kid, basketball has become pretty pitiful.
I recall that you were also the guy who thought Lamelo Ball was a no talent hack who would never amount to anything.

Have you considered that you might not be the best talent evaluator?

I recall that you were also the guy who thought Lamelo Ball was a no talent hack who would never amount to anything.

Have you considered that you might not be the best talent evaluator?
I believe you have something there. Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean they can't play. That is a really a very unintelligent way to evaluate talent

You only say he can't play because he is going to Gonzaga. If he were coming to Kentucky you would say he is going to be a superstar

Honestly you have no idea what I think or would say if he came to UK and to think you do is arrogant and presumptuous on your part. However if you want to know I would still have the same reserves if he came to UK after seeing how Boston struggled due to his physical stature and weakness.

I believe you have something there. Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean they can't play. That is a really a very unintelligent way to evaluate talent
Watching a 2 minute mix tape where they find highlight clips from an entire season also isn't an intelligent way of evaluating talent nor does it make you an expert and your opinion the only one that is correct. I have said in previous post that he may be better than I think but I just don't seem him being the #1 player in the class.

Also, assuming "expert rankings" are always correct and that a top ranked kid will flourish is not an intelligent assumption. Boston, Whitney, Skal, Askew and Clarke have proven that to not be the case.

I know this kid is ranked as the #1 recruit but having watched just a few short clips I just don't see it. Maybe I need to watch more of him but he seems to be fragile like BJ Boston and will struggle against grown men. I mean he is 7'0" and only weighs 190. Maybe someone else who has watched more of his stuff can help me out here but I just don't get the hype. I doubt he could survive a season in the SEC but maybe that is why he is considering Gonzaga where slow, unathletic big guys go to prosper.
My guess is, if he was coming to UK you would feel differently about him.

How often do you see a 7’1” 16-year-old crossover a two time NBA MVP like this:

His ball skills are incredible for someone his height and age. And he’s also a superb defensive player with elite shotblocking instincts. He really knows how to play on both ends of the floor.

The one glaring question mark with him is that beanpole physique. Not sure how a body that ridiculously skinny will hold up at the next level. He looks like a major injury just waiting to happen. But he’s got plenty of time to put some meat on those bones.

And that video is a few years old iirc. He's even more of a monster now. Iirc he dominated emoni bates last year.

I agree his physique is the only concern as far as nba goes. In college, he's going to unfortunately dominate.

My guess is, if he was coming to UK you would feel differently about him.
Then your guess would be wrong. I would still have concern about a 7'1" 190 lb players ability to play as well against players of similar size, athletic ability etc once he gets to college. But thanks for assuming that you know what I think.

Honestly you have no idea what I think or would say if he came to UK and to think you do is arrogant and presumptuous on your part. However if you want to know I would still have the same reserves if he came to UK after seeing how Boston struggled due to his physical stature and weakness.
BJ struggled because he was a shooting guard who couldn't shoot

BJ struggled because he was a shooting guard who couldn't shoot
He couldn't shoot or score last year but below is the ESPN scouting report on BJ from his senior year stating he had great skills on the perimeter and can score at the rim or from 3 so he obviously was a better shooter in high school than he showed here. Watching a skinny kid score on undersized and undertalented high school players and doing it as a freshmen in college against grown men are 2 totally different things. I am not saying Chet will be a total bust but just think he will face enough talented players to not be a dominate player like some others seem to think he will.

Strengths:
Brandon is a long athletic wing player with great skills on the perimeter that has the ability to score at the rim or from outside the three.
He sees the floor well for his position and has shown that he can take over a game scoring the ball. He is a tough guard for the defense because he can use a pin-down screen and pop for the three or shot fake and slash and finish above the rim. Brandon is excellent in transition with the ball in his hands or making a creative play at the rim.

I don't get why some people who disagree think they are the know all, end all and be all and everyone who disagrees with them are idiots. Differences of opinion is what makes life interesting and I enjoy discussing those differences but guys who call others stupid or insult them I just don't get it. That is the thing about opinions you may be right, I may be right or Chet may be somewhere in the middle and we both could be partially right. I don't claim to know it all nor do I say my opinion is the only one that is right. I am just saying to me and my 45+ years of watching basketball I don't think he is the next superstar some of you guys think he is.

I am not saying Chet will be a total bust but just think he will face enough talented players to not be a dominate player like some others seem to think he will.

Wrong word. It amazes me how many people on this board don't understand the difference between the words dominant and dominate. I see that error regularly here, yet nowhere else.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
I don't get why some people who disagree think they are the know all, end all and be all and everyone who disagrees with them are idiots. Differences of opinion is what makes life interesting and I enjoy discussing those differences but guys who call others stupid or insult them I just don't get it. That is the thing about opinions you may be right, I may be right or Chet may be somewhere in the middle and we both could be partially right. I don't claim to know it all nor do I say my opinion is the only one that is right. I am just saying to me and my 45+ years of watching basketball I don't think he is the next superstar some of you guys think
He couldn't shoot or score last year but below is the ESPN scouting report on BJ from his senior year stating he had great skills on the perimeter and can score at the rim or from 3 so he obviously was a better shooter in high school than he showed here. Watching a skinny kid score on undersized and undertalented high school players and doing it as a freshmen in college against grown men are 2 totally different things. I am not saying Chet will be a total bust but just think he will face enough talented players to not be a dominate player like some others seem to think he will.

Strengths:
Brandon is a long athletic wing player with great skills on the perimeter that has the ability to score at the rim or from outside the three.
He sees the floor well for his position and has shown that he can take over a game scoring the ball. He is a tough guard for the defense because he can use a pin-down screen and pop for the three or shot fake and slash and finish above the rim. Brandon is excellent in transition with the ball in his hands or making a creative play at the rim.
I don't think IQ or Herro would be considered much stronger than BJ, if at all. They played well. The difference is they showed they could shoot the basketball. I get what you are saying about Chet. But I also think the whole strength thing is exaggerated and today a good skill set is way more important. But if he sucks it up, it doesn't necessarily mean its because he is skinny or not strong. Just could be because he wasn't as good as everyone thought.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
Wrong word. It amazes me how many people on this board don't understand the difference between the words dominant and dominate. I see that error regularly here, yet nowhere else.
It amazes me how many grammar police are so quick to try to show how intelligent they are by pointing out a typo. 🙄

Reactions: uk78
He’s a special talent, will be a top 5 pick in the draft. I’ve read he may go G League instead of Gonzaga though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT