ADVERTISEMENT

Cameron mills thinks reed is probably gone

With when he is projected to go and the fact yesterday would have been the ultimate time to say I'm back, I think he is gone too.

When Pope made the comment about Sheppard, everyone started looking around while cheering. When he didn't come out all the people around us were like, he's leaving.

I don't buy his draft projection at all. Awesome skillset but seems a little undersized right now for the NBA. Another year of strength conditioning at the college level would do wonders, and I believe he could be NPOTY if he came back. On top of that he could command millions in NIL in Kentucky if he wanted to do that.
Will he come back? Doubtful, but understand the guy who has been pushing players out year after year after year only to make room for this new batch of "were young" excuse, is not here anymore. I have hope that Pope will not push any player out who wants to come back and play for the name on the front of the jersey another year.

I feel sorry for those getting their hopes up for a return. Don’t get me wrong, I would love for it to happen.

But if the Cal era taught me anything it is to expect anyone who can leave to leave and anyone who returns is a pleasant surprise.

With when he is projected to go and the fact yesterday would have been the ultimate time to say I'm back, I think he is gone too.

When Pope made the comment about Sheppard, everyone started looking around while cheering. When he didn't come out all the people around us were like, he's leaving.

Reed was not in attendance

I’m not expecting a return but I wouldn’t be shocked if he did. Will make great money next year in NIL so only question is does he think he can hold his stock relatively close to where he’s projected now. A little slide is ok, a big slide is alot of money. Financially nothing to gain by coming back but you only get one chance to leave a college legacy, if that matters to him will make the decision to leave harder.

Reactions: EliteBlue
There has to be an internal conflict between chasing the money and the fact that the season was a disaster in terms of the team's goals.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I don't buy his draft projection at all. Awesome skillset but seems a little undersized right now for the NBA. Another year of strength conditioning at the college level would do wonders, and I believe he could be NPOTY if he came back. On top of that he could command millions in NIL in Kentucky if he wanted to do that.
Will he come back? Doubtful, but understand the guy who has been pushing players out year after year after year only to make room for this new batch of "were young" excuse, is not here anymore. I have hope that Pope will not push any player out who wants to come back and play for the name on the front of the jersey another year.
Skillset? He shoots the 3 well. Bad defense. Okay passing. Ball watches. He desperately needs a year under Pope to learn how to play real defense, and be in an offense where he'll get lots of different looks.

Last edited:
I’m not expecting a return but I wouldn’t be shocked if he did. Will make great money next year in NIL so only question is does he think he can hold his stock relatively close to where he’s projected now. A little slide is ok, a big slide is alot of money. Financially nothing to gain by coming back but you only get one chance to leave a college legacy, if that matters to him will make the decision to leave harder.
I actually really, really loved how Pope addressed it: told Reed to just do whatever you feel is best in your heart. If your heart is in pursuing your NBA dream, then go pursue it. If your heart is in Kentucky basketball, then come back and play

Love what Reed brought to the team this past yr. A team first guy who fully understands what UK basketball means to the state and UK fans around the country/world. Beyond refreshing to see.

Would be shocked if he stayed, though.

On the other hand, how much does his individual performance against Oakland sway his decision making. As much as I love Reed, unfortunately for me, the lasting memory I have of Reed is his awful performance in the tourney. Just being honest, he looked like he was crapping down his pants (both him and Dilly, to be fair). He shot 1/5, had two awful TOs where he somehow managed to throw the ball into the seats, and was tough to watch defensively.

I would love for him if went out in a better fashion.

Reactions: NociHTTP and KFuqua
This is the weakest draft in decades. That benefits Reed and hurts us UK fans... oh well
His goal shouldn't be to get drafted as high as possible. It should be to be "ready" so that when time for that 2nd (generational life changing) contract he is near where his peak will be. Skillwise I think he's there (or close enough), but as his defense reflects physically and with quickness he is not there. He would be manhandled at this point by grow-ass men. Rob won't because he is so quick, Reed doesn't and probably won't ever have Rob's level of quickness, so he needs to get stronger, otherwise he may just be starting to make an impact when time for 2nd contract, which is the generational life changing one.
Now the exception to this is if the first few teams all told him "not interested with their pick" until you get to a team that is "in love with him" AND "is willing to be patient" and not going to rush him, and is a great "FIT".

So unless someone has INSIDER info straight from Reed or his immediate family, it's ALL speculation!!! And to say he is definitely Gone, or definitely Returning, or Should return, or Should Leave is all just BS.
IMO, I put the odds (I know it's a huge range) in the 20-60% returning range (previously I was saying 30-70%).

Would you rather make a ton of money on a terrible team (Wall, Cousins, MKG, etc) or a half ton of money playing meaningful playoff games in your career?

Reactions: NociHTTP
Jeff said they are currently gathering all the information they can, so they can make an informed decision.

Mock drafts are not the info they're needing. He'll have to go through the workouts, and get some real feedback.

I have high doubts Reed will stay lottery. But I mean, let's say he's 16-25 range....they'd still be a lot to think through.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I think your absolutely dead on.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
We might be under estimating what he could make in NIL with jersey sales with his name and number, cards, signed items, plus all the promotional commercials and such. Probably not even half what he would make as a lottery pick but still a lot to play in college. His girlfriend is at UK and he probably doesn’t want to leave her behind. Idk. Depends where his heart is and if his head overpowers his heart I guess

Reactions: NociHTTP
Remember,eve
Remember,every recruits and players dreams of one day playing in the NBA! And Reed is no exception! He is leaving!

Sorry, but I think that this is erroneous thinking that we have been conditioned to accept after being 15 years as an NBA feeder team.
Agreed. Rushing to the NBA isn't always the best move. If you're not successful right away, they won't hesitate to kick you to the curb. The goal should be to put yourself in the best position to get a big payday when you reach your second contract - not to get to the second contract as soon as possible.

This speculation is just that. I'm ready to read some real and official news on this and other players this week.

I feel sorry for those getting their hopes up for a return. Don’t get me wrong, I would love for it to happen.

But if the Cal era taught me anything it is to expect anyone who can leave to leave and anyone who returns is a pleasant surprise.
Thos isn’t the Cal era anymore and that is why there is a chance he returns. Small chance he does, but wouldn’t shock me if he does.

His goal shouldn't be to get drafted as high as possible. It should be to be "ready" so that when time for that 2nd (generational life changing) contract he is near where his peak will be. Skillwise I think he's there (or close enough), but as his defense reflects physically and with quickness he is not there. He would be manhandled at this point by grow-ass men. Rob won't because he is so quick, Reed doesn't and probably won't ever have Rob's level of quickness, so he needs to get stronger, otherwise he may just be starting to make an impact when time for 2nd contract, which is the generational life changing one.
Now the exception to this is if the first few teams all told him "not interested with their pick" until you get to a team that is "in love with him" AND "is willing to be patient" and not going to rush him, and is a great "FIT".

So unless someone has INSIDER info straight from Reed or his immediate family, it's ALL speculation!!! And to say he is definitely Gone, or definitely Returning, or Should return, or Should Leave is all just BS.
IMO, I put the odds (I know it's a huge range) in the 20-60% returning range (previously I was saying 30-70%).
I put the odds at 0-100% returning range. I’m feeling pretty good about it.

Would yesterday have been the best time? Or would that be upstaging Pope's big day?

One thing to consider is, even though it’s a weaker than usual draft, what if he’s drafted or traded to a good team that already has good established guards and he gets buried on the bench or sent to the G- league. I think he would be wishing he had stayed at UK. A lot of things to consider. I would think money is not the only factor they are considering

If this guy was a mid round pick then I’d feel like there was an actual shot. But not if this guy is being discussed as a top five pick. There’s nowhere to really go from that but down.

And next year's draft will be better so strike while the iron is hot. I expect him to leave so will be pleasantly surprised if he returns.
I don’t understand this. How do we know that next year’s draft will be better?

I keep hearing that the recruiting class of ‘24 is one of the weakest ever, so where is this influx of talent coming from? Is it international players?

Not saying you are wrong, I am genuinely ignorant on how that works.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT