ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Ugo get us there? Need Z???

Can Ugo get us back to the FF playing 30+ mins a game?

• Yes

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 64.0%

• Total voters

Rideordiewildcat

All-American
Jan 30, 2018
Louisville, Ky (Behind enemy lines)
I know we won on the road. Love It! But...

29 mins and zero pts from Ugo. Look he payed decent D at times but also was dunked on here and there. He struggles to rebound ir even grab the ball when it falls right in his lap. I worry Cal has fallen back I'm love with this zero offense some defense look. I know Z didn't do much. How much could anyone do in 2 mins, 3 mins and 2 mins?

He played 8 mins and by the time he's even thinking rhythm he's back out. I guarantee with 29 mins he would have done better than Ugo. But we won. Yes.

I'm more worried about the future games where we have to have something more than 0-4pts out of the 5 to win. I felt Bam. Cal was leaning into the right lineup then bam. Some will say Z couldn't handle it and Ugo was needed but guys like Knect were dunking. I'm fine with Ugo out there half the time if he's playing good D but worried Cal doesn't see what Z gives us. We ate a better team with Z out there. He's not perfect but blocks shots, causes guys to avoid the paint and he can actually score.

Who could play well in stretches of 2, 3 and 2 mins?

I just feel like we will need Z down the stretch and will see too much Tre and Ugo. I hope I'm wrong.

UGO was great today. Why bitch after a win against a top 5 team on the road?
I'm thrilled, but did you even read what I posted? The future, that's what counts, that's what I'm worried about. When Ugo plays 29 mins and scores zero ok. But when he has 4 other guys that are not 5s grab as many or more rebounds some in less time that's gonna be a problem down the road. Wake up!

Sheppard, Reeves, Theiro and Edwards grabbed as many boards and Reeves a guard grabbed more than Ugo. So if Uho is a defensive juggernaut ok. But he hasn't shown that. It usually takes him 30+ mins to record a soso stat line. Check history. I just think we can do better with Z getting a real chance and worry this will bite us when it's lose and go home.

Hopefully our coaches can adjust strategies game to game by the opponent that we are playing.

If our opponent has a strong low post scoring threat maybe Ugo gets more clock.

If we have a need to open up the floor more with offense maybe Z gets more run.

That being said, our staff hasn't proven it can always prepare players or game plan for an opponent over the last handful of years.

Good God people Ugo played 29 mins, 0pts and 6 rebs. WTF?

Love the win, but he can not play 30 mins a game in the tourney. Noway in hell. It just worries me because Cal and his lineups worry me. I worry something works one time and he sticks with it. Otherwise I'm thrilled.

Reactions: lcp3557CATS

Love the win, but he can not play 30 mins a game in the tourney. Noway in hell. It just worries me because Cal and his lineups worry me. I worry something works one time and he sticks with it. Otherwise I'm thrilled.
He also got 4 blocks, tipped out several offensive rebounds to teammates, and altered several inside shots on defense with his length. Also he only fouled once.

However hard for any player to get hot playing 2 mins, 3mins and 2 mins for a total of 8. Had Ugo been played like that and Z 29 mins feel safe saying Z would have outplayed him.
Z got abused on defense. They went right at him. Ugo actually had a chance of defending Knecht when he went inside. Z didn't even get off the floor in time.

Z got abused on defense. They went right at him. Ugo actually had a chance of defending Knecht when he went inside. Z didn't even get off the floor in time.
Do you really think that is fair for Z who comes in for a minute here a minute there. How can you get in any kind of rhythm? Ugo goes for 29 minutes only coming out for breathers. I imagine you look better. Any player at this level should at almost 30 mins.

Most see Z as the main link to being special and not just what we have seen for 5 years. Start at 6 min. Mark.

29 mins and zero pts from Ugo. Look he payed decent D at times but also was dunked on here and there. He struggles to rebound ir even grab the ball when it falls right in his lap. I worry Cal has fallen back I'm love with this zero offense some defense look. I know Z didn't do much. How much could anyone do in 2 mins, 3 mins and 2 mins?

He played 8 mins and by the time he's even thinking rhythm he's back out. I guarantee with 29 mins he would have done better than Ugo. But we won. Yes.

I'm more worried about the future games where we have to have something more than 0-4pts out of the 5 to win. I felt Bam. Cal was leaning into the right lineup then bam. Some will say Z couldn't handle it and Ugo was needed but guys like Knect were dunking. I'm fine with Ugo out there half the time if he's playing good D but worried Cal doesn't see what Z gives us. We ate a better team with Z out there. He's not perfect but blocks shots, causes guys to avoid the paint and he can actually score.

I just feel like we will need Z down the stretch and will see too much Tre and Ugo. I hope I'm wrong.
I'm thrilled, but did you even read what I posted? The future, that's what counts, that's what I'm worried about. When Ugo plays 29 mins and scores zero ok. But when he has 4 other guys that are not 5s grab as many or more rebounds some in less time that's gonna be a problem down the road. Wake up!

Sheppard, Reeves, Theiro and Edwards grabbed as many boards and Reeves a guard grabbed more than Ugo. So if Uho is a defensive juggernaut ok. But he hasn't shown that. It usually takes him 30+ mins to record a soso stat line. Check history. I just think we can do better with Z getting a real chance and worry this will bite us when it's lose and go home.
Big Z helped us the final 6 at MissSt. I wouldn't call them finesse.

However hard for any player to get hot playing 2 mins, 3mins and 2 mins for a total of 8. Had Ugo been played like that and Z 29 mins feel safe saying Z would have outplayed him.
Do you really think that is fair for Z who comes in for a minute here a minute there. How can you get in any kind of rhythm? Ugo goes for 29 minutes only coming out for breathers. I imagine you look better. Any player at this level should at almost 30 mins.

Most see Z as the main link to being special and not just what we have seen for 5 years. Start at 6 min. Mark.

How did we manage to beat one of the best teams in the country on their court playing UGO 30min if Z is the answer we need?

Your posts in this thread just seem to be a bitchfest for why your preferred big isn't getting the minutes you want instead of a logical analysis of why Z is more imperative to this teams chances than the other 2 bigs are.

How did we manage to beat one of the best teams in the country on their court playing UGO 30min if Z is the answer we need?

Your posts in this thread just seem to be a bitchfest for why your preferred big isn't getting the minutes you want instead of a logical analysis of why Z is more imperative to this teams chances than the other 2 bigs are.
How do you have any point? When Z didn't even get hardly a chance. We're talking mathematics, stats, right?

Love the win looking back at the history of the season, planning for the future. If you're happy with Ugo playing 30 plus minutes. When, if we meet someone in the elite 8, we'll see how that works. 30 mins zero pts 6 rebs. Just because our guards bailed us out doesn't make for the best plan going forward. But I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

Reactions: lcp3557CATS
How do you have any point? When Z didn't even get hardly a chance. We're talking mathematics, stats, right?

Love the win looking back at the history of the season, planning for the future. If you're happy with Ugo playing 30 plus minutes. When, if we meet someone in the elite 8, we'll see how that works. 30 mins zero pts 6 rebs. Just because our guards bailed us out doesn't make for the best plan going forward. But I hope I'm wrong. I really do.
We got 0 points from him and still put up 85 on a top 3 defense on their court. He averages 3.6 for the season and we still avg 90ppg, which is tied for 2nd in the nation.

Ivisic averages 2 pts more than Ugo, but less than half the blocks and about 2 rebounds less per game. Ugo also has a higher FG% for the season.

Now, if Ivisic playes and scores more, but gives up more field goals and rebounds, do we still win?

Seems like the math and stats support UGO as being the correct choice.

There will be games where Ivisic is better and should play more. And he will. Yesterday wasn't one of them, and it's a very weird thing to be complaining about at this point.

We got 0 points from him and still put up 85 on a top 3 defense on their court. He averages 3.6 for the season and we still avg 90ppg, which is tied for 2nd in the nation.

Ivisic averages 2 pts more than Ugo, but less than half the blocks and about 2 rebounds less per game. Ugo also has a higher FG% for the season.

Now, if Ivisic playes and scores more, but gives up more field goals and rebounds, do we still win?

Seems like the math and stats support UGO as being the correct choice.

There will be games where Ivisic is better and should play more. And he will. Yesterday wasn't one of them, and it's a very weird thing to be complaining about at this point.
Z Has never played more than 20 minutes. Ugo has played a lot of games 30 plus with piss poor stats. But again I hope you're right. We will see.

Z Has never played more than 20 minutes. Ugo has played a lot of games 30 plus with piss poor stats. But again I hope you're right. We will see.
He played 21 against MS St. He is also a bit foul prone, which plays into him not getting many minutes. He gets abused on defense. Lately, his 3's aren't falling, which is really his biggest asset to this team.

In 8 minutes yesterday, he had 2 fouls, 1 turnover and a block. He didn't need more minutes if we wanted to win.

If we are dependent on Big Z to go far, I don't like our chances.

He played 21 against MS St. He is also a bit foul prone, which plays into him not getting many minutes. He gets abused on defense. Lately, his 3's aren't falling, which is really his biggest asset to this team.

In 8 minutes yesterday, he had 2 fouls, 1 turnover and a block. He didn't need more minutes if we wanted to win.

If we are dependent on Big Z to go far, I don't like our chances.
Remember the reason we don't have a share of the SEC title. At LSU under the basket they put it back in for a loss for us.

LSU:
Ugo 32 mins 2pts 7rebs
Z 3 mins

But ok. It worked today with Shep going 7 of 10 from 3.

I can be happy with a great victory, just not delusional. I'm sure it will be fine.

Remember the reason we don't have a share of the SEC title. At LSU under the basket they put it back in for a loss for us.

LSU:
Ugo 32 mins 2pts 7rebs
Z 3 mins

But ok. It worked today with Shep going 7 of 10 from 3.

I can be happy with a great victory, just not delusional. I'm sure it will be fine.
Um...Reed was the guy guarding that under the basket play, not Ugo. Ugo was actually defending his man. I guess Reed giving up the 3 against UF in regulation was on UGO, too?

Also, how does Z playing change that? He isn't a great rebounder, shot blocker or defender.
In his 2 minutes in that game, he already had a foul. At that pace, he could have provided 10 min before he fouled out

Do we really need Ugo to score much tho?

Honestly given the roster........we score fine. There's so many weapons on this squad.

What we need from Ugo (or any of the big men) is to play good defense. Be a force in the paint. Alter shots. Rebound. That's what we are sorely missing.

Reactions: ukdesi
Defense is for losers when you play teams like Tennessee. Besides one guy, they’re a team of poverty offensive players. We should demand greatness, I expected us to cover the alternate line of UK -9.5. Pisses me off.

It's a fair question for sure.....
1. The UT gameplan was to pound the paint, punk UK on the boards and Knecht hit the timely shots when clock was running low. Ugo neutralized the part of pound the, paint and punk UK on the boards.... I get he didn't hit a bucket....but he grabbed 6 boards and 4 blocks (and a few more shots impacted)

His main man he defended in Aidoo was 4-11 from field for 11 pts, 8 boards and 5 blocks. And at least 2 of those field goals was pick and roll off Zeigler and Knecht that Ugo had to switch/trap ball screen and help defense let him down.

I do agree Ugo needs to run into 2-3 put backs/lob dunks to score some offense....and it's a problem. UK guards won't be scorching hot from deep like they were in Tennessee. I think UK doesn't run more pick and roll action to feed him the ball due Ugo is just clunky offensively still.

2. I give Cal credit for basically not playing Bradshaw yesterday. He has not much to offer in a match up with Tn. But he did try Ivisic more and to be fair....he got 2 fouls in first half and that took some minutes away.

3. The better argument IMO is Mitchell really a guy you can play as a PF or C...that is the bigger question to me for Cal. And I get Cal believes in him and he is comign off injury. But Tre has always been a defensive minus to me and now his offense has totally evaporated.

But in the long run...Cal is playing the Center who matches the opponents strategy....and it's risky to know which C will be hot on a day in day out. But I thought it was solid coaching to play Ugo that many minutes vs. Tennessee. Now if we'd had been cold from deep...I imagine you'd have saw a ton more Ivisic minutes and less Ugo. I can't really argue it was a bad coaching decision by Cal.

And 4 blocks! Let’s be real. Ugo set the tone from the start with a block. He also altered many shots through out the game. His presence alone changed the game.

Vols became somewhat intimated in the second half with the ball in close. although they didn’t score i think our bigs were key in the win.

Reactions: Thats An Awful Idea
Ffs, it's all about matchups. Yesterday, Ugo was the best fit for what we needed - clogging the lane, blocking/altering shots, rebounding, and preventing easy layups. It's not rocket surgery.

Reactions: Thats An Awful Idea
The thing is, we will probably have an off night, and it sure would be nice to have an offensive capable big to not only score, but go hard for rebounds.

Not to say Ugo or Z or Bradshaw are "bad" here, but they are just OK, or decent at best. If there is one weakness on this team, something I think will be the cause of why we don't win it all, it's that.

Yesterday proved what I was saying last week, when fans were saying we need to trim down to 7-8 guys (cutting out Onyenso), but I said “No, we need to play both or all 3 7-footers, sticking with whoever is playing the best THAT GAME in the 2nd half”. None of them are consistent enough to be “that guy” on a regular basis.

And no, you don’t need scoring from everyone on the floor, But you do need contributions. There are other ways to be valuable without scoring. Remember AD along with Lamb being our most valuable players in title game, even though AD scored 2 points. Thst is not saying any of these guys are close to AD.

The Cal haters don’t see it, but the UK coach has done a great job managing this roster. The big man rotation and situational substitution has been really good.
He definitely has.

But I would have like to see more Z yesterday.

But the only mistake I think Cal made coaching wise yesterday was playing Mitchell at all. Bradshaw should have gotten those minutes. Which was around 10.

But a win on the road against a top 4 team that most of our fans didn’t even think we could win is just a great finishing touch to the season.

Improving every game!

We didn’t even play our A game and still won.

This is a very good team. Dillingham in foul trouble the whole first half. We still hold them off.

Then he comes in the second half and blitzes them.

You never know which one of our guys is going to hit. But you do know someone is going to.

Ugo got majority of the minutes because of his defense yesterday, and not just his defense in the paint. Yes, Ugo blocked shots and had UT players looking over their shoulder when they got in the paint.

What box score will not show was his defense of the high pick and roll. UT killed us with it at Rupp. Ugo hedged hard (obvious change from 1st game.). This happened in first 90 seconds of game and took away what UT wanted to run with their guards.

This is not Z strong area. His feet are a little heavy and sometimes glued to the floor when guarding the pick and roll.

It was obvious UK changed their defensive strategy for the game and I give Cal credit for changing it up.

Z brings a lot to the game and i suspect will have a couple big games if we advance far. The fact we have versatility at the 5 makes me optimistic. Each of the 3 bring something different to the game.

Ugo deserved those mins yesterday and was critical part of us winning the game!

He also got 4 blocks, tipped out several offensive rebounds to teammates, and altered several inside shots on defense with his length. Also he only fouled once.
And the 1 foul he had was soft and allowed 3 point play turning the game into a nightmare ending. That guy should have never got the shot off, making him earn it at the line.

Something I noticed when z was in the game. He never touched the ball up top on the dribble hand off screen situation. They had him setting picks away from the ball, clogging up the lane at times. He also got a key block late in the game with limited time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT