ADVERTISEMENT

Calzone

I'll have 2 or 3...

tz581aH.png

He’s said that 1000 times over the years to play a total of 5 possessions in his career here. The very first made three, man will be back.
And it seems every time we do a zone in those 5 times the other team comes down and immediately hits a 3 on it so Cal immediately goes out of it.

His refusal to play zone kills me. Some years we didn't need it but some years we did. I'm convinced if we played zone versus UConn in 2014 we would've won. That's what Pitino did to that team twice and beat their brains in.

And it seems every time we do a zone in those 5 times the other team comes down and immediately hits a 3 on it so Cal immediately goes out of it.

His refusal to play zone kills me. Some years we didn't need it but some years we did. I'm convinced if we played zone versus UConn in 2014 we would've won. That's what Pitino did to that team twice and beat their brains in.
Exactly and the fact that a dude 70 miles down the road did it and Cal refused to try it or probably even watch tape of it blows my mind.

I hope Cal’s zone is better than that full court press Gamecocks handled it with ease seems like i watched a Tenn. game were there full court press had like 4 straight turnovers

We held them to 60.

Defense was not the issue in that game.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Would love to see it. No one is calling for us to be Syracuse and only play zone, but it’s nice to have it in the tool bag.

UConn kept the same personnel for a decade or so?

We actually played zone that game the last 5 minutes of the first half to cut a 17 point deficit down to 5. I was screaming at the first TV timeout after we gave up Multiple straight line drive layups that we needed to zone this team. Cal was applauded at halftime by the analyst for going zone and getting UK back in the game. Of course we never saw the zone again in the 2nd half. Waiting so long to do something different that game cost us which pretty much sums up Cals tenure here.

Problem is Cal doesn’t know how to teach it bc it’s not his cup of tea. We’ve dabbled a few times and it’s always a soft 2nd grade zone with zero ball pressure instead of matching up and and shifting between 3-2 to 2-3 or 1-3-1. Just a generic, sunk in, non matchup 2-3 and the guys play it as if they aren’t allowed to leave their place in the floor

Just hope someone else on staff gets the task of implementing it

I hope Cal’s zone is better than that full court press Gamecocks handled it with ease seems like i watched a Tenn. game were there full court press had like 4 straight turnovers
I call Cals full court press the run along beside the guy your guarding press. The books say one good zone to play is full court match-up press, and there are many types of zone presses the 1-2-2, 2-2-1, 1-2-1-1, you try to influence where the ball is going on the court and trap players in theses areas, baseline corner area, against any out of bounds line ect. A good pressing team has to have speed, and a good bench, and good timing as to when to come off their man to trap and good rotation by the players behind these trapping players.Advantages of a press are it wares down the other team, steals, breaking the rhythm of the other team. After moving into the half court, you can drop back into man or into some zone. Good half court zones to play for good shooting teams are 3-2, and 1-2-2 the 2-3 is not recommended for good shooting teams. The problem it's mid-season and how quickly we could learn to play one or two theses zones effectively. The other big if is do we have anyone capable of teaching them Effectively. I know I couldn't, but I don't get paid 9m either.

Cal said today that they have been working on zone and they will throw some zone in there and find out……

Let’s see if this helps the defense…
We will see, hell I would be happy with just zoning those out of bounds under the basket, once the inbound they can switch out to man, but how many points have we given up this year under the basket on out of bounds plays.

Reactions: tomrain
Our guys didn't make any effort at all with that full court press. It was embarassing to hear the commentators talking about how here's the press, and then we abandon it at the mid court line. We don't really even make an effort on picks, either. These kids are afraid of over-working themselves and missing out in June.

Our guys didn't make any effort at all with that full court press. It was embarassing to hear the commentators talking about how here's the press, and then we abandon it at the mid court line. We don't really even make an effort on picks, either. These kids are afraid of over-working themselves and missing out in June.
We're are soft and got punked and Cal got outcoached as he has most of the season. He needs to play the 5 best players and stop with those crazy substitution patterns he deployed Tuesday.

Elite 8 Auburn can be thrown in there too. They took their midget guards, who werent good shooters, spread the floor and beat us off the dribble the whole game and we never adjusted one time. A zone would have made all the difference in that game.

One would think that with a half dozen over paid assistants, and the boss making $9million/yr that someone over there would know how to teach a freaking zone!! I can hear it now..."Tre, you stand here on this block, Justin, you stand on this other block right here. Aaron you stand in between those two, here in the middle of the lane, you guys need to hold your hands up, wave them around. Ok DJ you stand here and this end of the free throw line, and Antonio, you stand here at he other end of the free throw line. You guys keep your hands up and wave them around too!" So now, let's use this in a game!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT