ADVERTISEMENT

Cals post game presser...

Mintz...and actually it would give Boston and Clarke more room to operate. How would they react if the other team trapped them off the screen? Who knows, but I think we'd get much better looks and it could start the ball popping around the court...if some of our guys find interest in passing

Clarke/Boston have to quit dribbling everytime they touch it--the ball just stops. It's basketball 101 and they all say the right things and nobody is doing it. If they aren't doing it-then they aren't listening or don't respect who is telling them to do it. If nobody is telling them, then the problem is beyond help.

He said if he was Bill Self he's love his team. Something about how bad they sucked and still won.

Cal gonna Cal. Ive never seen a coach blow that much potential from 2012 to today.

I respect Self's team for finding a way to win a game they had no business being within 20 pts at Half, but 75% of that outcome was because the UK team is not well coached right now.

Can someone tell me what offense they are trying to run?

Then Cal mocked the fans this week.

That was a bad look.

We want to see the team have success, coach. You knew that when you got here. Now you're taking tax-payer money from the same people you're laughing at. That won't help you when you're sitting at 7-5 in late January playing for your life as the SEC unfolds.
Rubbed me the wrong way too . I believe Cal thinks he is bigger than the program now .

Hey @morgousky they're making fun of us for saying Askew sucks! Crazy world. Been saying it. Sit this ****ing bum.

Kansas is low rent. Thug team, thug players, thug coach, NCAA probation and show cause waiting to happen. If I were them, I'd have other priorities.

But it's Kansas we're talking about. They just don't have the sense of many fan bases. I mean their coach is Bill Self for petes sake.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Clarke/Boston have to quit dribbling everytime they touch it--the ball just stops. It's basketball 101 and they all say the right things and nobody is doing it. If they aren't doing it-then they aren't listening or don't respect who is telling them to do it. If nobody is telling them, then the problem is beyond help.
Ralph you're actually wrong here. Boston/Clarke need plays run for them to win and not just the pick and curl we ran for Herro. We need actual plays. Cals favorite play is "RUN" and its embarrassing, KU was down 21-9 and we didn't run a single offensive play the whole game. Its embarrassing.

Then Cal mocked the fans this week.

That was a bad look.

We want to see the team have success, coach. You knew that when you got here. Now you're taking tax-payer money from the same people you're laughing at. That won't help you when you're sitting at 7-5 in late January playing for your life as the SEC unfolds.
He has a Lifetime Contract. That is where his arrogance is coming from, it scares the crap out of me right now.

He is SOOOOOOOO set in his ways that I can't see him altering how he approaches the offensive end of the floor. The lack of perimeter scoring has burnt us too many times, yet he NEVER even mentions how pitiful it's been. I don't know if he is superstitious about DEMANDING players make shots, but it's always the last thing he mentions. Heck his most famous line about shooting is " You don't have to make them all, you just can't miss them all".

Well Coach, WE ARE MISSING THEM ALL!!!!!!

I turned it off.

He talked about how much he likes Kansas' team.

Cal is never going to change, and he will continue to sell lemons as long as UK fans allow it. You can hear the roar starting to actually happen. He needs to have a big turn around over the next two years or he's going to be an assistant for the Knicks where he can coach his beloved draft picks.
He never said he liked their team. He said if I was Bill Self he'd be ecstatic, ect, ect.

I respect Self's team for finding a way to win a game they had no business being within 20 pts at Half, but 75% of that outcome was because the UK team is not well coached right now.

Can someone tell me what offense they are trying to run?

Kentucky?

I saw Cal in the walk throughs of the hotel. He kept screaming "run". I think it's a set, or is spanish for something.

He did say bob and weave a few times. Not sure what play that would be.

For saying askew sucks? they get they almost lost to a team shooting 26% right?

When did we shoot 26 percent. The OP was wrong. Cal said that Bill Self has got to be ecstatic because KU shot 29 percent and won.

Kentucky?

I saw Cal in the walk throughs of the hotel. He kept screaming "run". I think it's a set, or is spanish for something.

I did say bob and weave a few times. Not sure what play that would be.

Can defend Cal on that lone aspect--as a HS coach and obviously not dealing with the talent level Cal has--but you have to BEG these guys and scream at them repeatedly to RUN and push the ball. It's insane because they all say they want to do it and none do it-they often jog/trot and when Mintz came in 1st Half-he did some nice things pushing the ball, then it ended. Askew is not ready for this and not sure he'll ever be. This stage looks way too big for him. The only time he's played well in games i've seen (didn't see the game that was apparently a debacle against Richmond due to death in family) is when Mintz is in with him.

My ? is why did both guards have multiple possessions where they brought ball up--stopped dribble near midcourt--held it out so Kansas just took it from them. Do they not give a damn? I mean it looked like a practice drill where coach yelled "Stop" and it's a live ball play in a damn game!

Can defend Cal on that lone aspect--as a HS coach and obviously not dealing with the talent level Cal has--but you have to BEG these guys and scream at them repeatedly to RUN and push the ball. It's insane because they all say they want to do it and none do it-they often jog/trot and when Mintz came in 1st Half-he did some nice things pushing the ball, then it ended. Askew is not ready for this and not sure he'll ever be. This stage looks way too big for him. The only time he's played well in games i've seen (didn't see the game that was apparently a debacle against Richmond due to death in family) is when Mintz is in with him.

My ? is why did both guards have multiple possessions where they brought ball up--stopped dribble near midcourt--held it out so Kansas just took it from them. Do they not give a damn? I mean it looked like a practice drill where coach yelled "Stop" and it's a live ball play in a damn game!

Oh don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Cal screaming to get them going. I understand it completely.

But Cal is earning his reputation as a mediocre floor coach at best right now.

Ralph you're actually wrong here. Boston/Clarke need plays run for them to win and not just the pick and curl we ran for Herro. We need actual plays. Cals favorite play is "RUN" and its embarrassing, KU was down 21-9 and we didn't run a single offensive play the whole game. Its embarrassing.

I heard "Open" and thing about "Open" is when your team can't shoot-the opponent is going to plug things up no matter what you yell/instruct. Also if you are going to run plays-guys have to cut to the ball even when a play isn't designed for them to shoot, they need to care how they play off the ball and need to fight to get it-these guys are so light in the ass right now--a bump and they expect a whistle.

BJ Boston's handle is so shaky--you play him to dribble and it's either an off balanced shot, a turnover from strip, or a bad pass.

Clarke is a ball stopper right now--but he's the best penetrator on the team and he'll give it up. He should play PG at least in the halfcourt and he's one of the only guys on team when UK gets a steal or rebound that he'll throw a hit ahead pass to a teammate without dribbling.

Cal - turn the offense over to one of your assistants. Maybe Lucas? Former point guard. Young. Aggressive. Certainly knows the modern game. Put away the ego and get his input

I heard "Open" and thing about "Open" is when your team can't shoot-the opponent is going to plug things up no matter what you yell/instruct. Also if you are going to run plays-guys have to cut to the ball even when a play isn't designed for them to shoot, they need to care how they play off the ball and need to fight to get it-these guys are so light in the ass right now--a bump and they expect a whistle.

BJ Boston's handle is so shaky--you play him to dribble and it's either an off balanced shot, a turnover from strip, or a bad pass.

Clarke is a ball stopper right now--but he's the best penetrator on the team and he'll give it up. He should play PG at least in the halfcourt and he's one of the only guys on team when UK gets a steal or rebound that he'll throw a hit ahead pass to a teammate without dribbling.
Hes yelling run. He always yells run. It doesn't matter the team. Their might be a few scattered "Opens" but I doubt it. Open is more of an offense set versus Cals RUN philosophy.

BJ boston handle although shaky can make things work in a pick and roll with Sarr. Actually He may be the only true "scorer" on the team. And as much as you hate the shot selection he has to take them because the alternative is to pretty much nobody.

Clarke is a ball stopper and takes bad shots but hes not put in position to succeed a ball screen by Isiah with a lob lock with an off block Sarr post and a BJ boston outside linger kick would be nice. We don't run those plays. We run kick it to Clarke and if he cant dunk or runner and don't board were ****ed. We rely on boards this year and 2nd 3rd 4th opportunity. Hence the horrible totals.

That crazy lucrative "lifetime" contract we gave him looks like a worse idea every day. He now knows we can't fire him, and he knows we have to keep paying around 10 million per year every year no matter what. It's only natural that a man in such a remarkably cushy position will lose some of the hunger and drive he had before.

And I suspect that's happened with Cal. There's a clear "autopilot" smell to the way he comes across now ..still repeating the same lines and act, but not with nearly the same drive he had before.

Last edited:
Reactions: ManitouDan
When I look at him I see a guy that has lost that hunger, that desire, that look in his eye and quite frankly it’s been missing for a few years now. These guys are going to limp thru the season, they will start opting out by mid January. I just don’t see the hunger. We don’t have any dogs on this team.

I sit here and wonder why I bother if they win or lose at this point in the season...but the thing is, these games USED to matter to UK fans. Now it's wait until the NCAAT...or the NBA draft...or the next group of 5 star recruits!
So, should I just ignore the rest of the season and just merrily follow along or ignore it? What happened to the KILLER INSTINCT that was KENTUCKY BASKETBALL regardless of the game or time of year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT