ADVERTISEMENT

Cals post game presser...

If we are so terrible how come Kansas didn’t score more than 64 pt? Most in the last 5 minutes. They scored 90 on Gonzaga. We won’t shoot this bad or be in foul trouble this bad that often. Players will step up and get better. I’m pissed off but we are going to be fine. How come no ones learned yet? 3 games in and won’t even give the most talented team in awhile a chance. 10 new faces and brooks out. It’s okay to be mad. But Christ. I’m pissed askew picks his damn dribble up too much. Shooting can’t get worse, this team just needs to get used to each other. A lot of stuff went wrong tonight and we should of still won. Kansas isn’t great. But they aren’t bad, and we affected how well they played. We will be fine I’m not tripping. Hate losing but I’d rather be this long and athletic and this good defending/rebounding game 3. Offense and flow will come. We have more stuff you can’t teach then anyone else.

Reactions: RunninRichie
If we are so terrible how come Kansas didn’t score more than 64 pt? Most in the last 5 minutes. They scored 90 on Gonzaga. We won’t shoot this bad or be in foul trouble this bad that often. Players will step up and get better. I’m pissed off but we are going to be fine. How come no ones learned yet? 3 games in and won’t even give the most talented team in awhile a chance. 10 new faces and brooks out. It’s okay to be mad. But Christ. I’m pissed askew picks his damn dribble up too much. Shooting can’t get worse, this team just needs to get used to each other. A lot of stuff went wrong tonight and we should of still won. Kansas isn’t great. But they aren’t bad, and we affected how well they played. We will be fine I’m not tripping. Hate losing but I’d rather be this long and athletic and this good defending/rebounding game 3. Offense and flow will come. We have more stuff you can’t teach then anyone else.
Again, how much losing will you endure just to see an exit in March? This team will never hit good enough from the outside to win a title. Final four is very doubtful right now.

And then there’s the constant losing to Kansas. Constant losing to mid majors. Constant losing in Rupp Arena. If we keep this up over the next 5 years, our past accomplishments begin to erode.

Kentucky has always prided itself on “the list”. Well the list goes well past just losses in March.

We used to understand this. Cal has gotten a large minority of fans to throw the other accomplishments (head to heads, sec dominance) in the trash and only look to March. Well the problem is that’s not how Kentucky has ever rolled, and he doesn’t win enough in March to keep saying it anyway.

It does us no good to keep buying these tired lines. The program is not in good shape right now.

I turned it off.

He talked about how much he likes Kansas' team.

Cal is never going to change, and he will continue to sell lemons as long as UK fans allow it. You can hear the roar starting to actually happen. He needs to have a big turn around over the next two years or he's going to be an assistant for the Knicks where he can coach his beloved draft picks.
He won’t be here that long. I think this is his last year no matter what happens.

Reactions: jnewc2
You guys are angry. Its Dec 1 and we have a whole new team. Its your own fault for thinking they'd blow everybody out. Relax and enjoy us getting better.

Blow everybody out?

We are at 1-2 with about 4 or 5 more chances for quality wins the entire year. And with corona probably cancelling some games, I think it’s reasonable to ask if this is even a tournament team.

Id like to win every game by 100, sure, but this goes way beyond that. This is as bad as a Cal team has looked since Nerlens went out in 13.

When I look at him I see a guy that has lost that hunger, that desire, that look in his eye and quite frankly it’s been missing for a few years now. These guys are going to limp thru the season, they will start opting out by mid January. I just don’t see the hunger. We don’t have any dogs on this team.
The rose is off the bloom...

Who gives a patoot where they are drafted?? Dont matter to me if they go 1st or Mcd once they leave. They are given free,free, free for 3 months.......
We have relegated our team/program to draft status and draft night...just like Cal said, it's the most important thing.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
So my next question is which player decides its time to "Whitney" on the team because they aren't as good as advertised and get ready for the NBA draft?

Reactions: jnewc2 and jgraf_1
It's pretty simple. Our defense is very good and will only get better, although I thought we got a little lazy at the end of the half and let them back in it.
Season Stats:
Defensive FG% - 36%
Defensive 3 pt FG% - 22%

Our offense is Mark Stoops horrible: Remember these numbers are skewed higher due to the one cupcake we've played (Morehead).
FG% - 42%
3 Pt FG% - 19% (Yikes!)
FT% - 65%
Rebounding margin is plus 10. Very good.
Assists to turnovers - 31-52...beyond horrible.

Will we get better on offense? Of course...can't get much worse. Will we shoot well enough from three to be a factor in March? Doubtful.

Not sure why all the panic . At least we know that most of this team will be back next year. Ware, Allen, Askew, Fletcher, and maybe Brooks will return.

Again, how much losing will you endure just to see an exit in March? This team will never hit good enough from the outside to win a title. Final four is very doubtful right now.

And then there’s the constant losing to Kansas. Constant losing to mid majors. Constant losing in Rupp Arena. If we keep this up over the next 5 years, our past accomplishments begin to erode.

Kentucky has always prided itself on “the list”. Well the list goes well past just losses in March.

We used to understand this. Cal has gotten a large minority of fans to throw the other accomplishments (head to heads, sec dominance) in the trash and only look to March. Well the problem is that’s not how Kentucky has ever rolled, and he doesn’t win enough in March to keep saying it anyway.

It does us no good to keep buying these tired lines. The program is not in good shape right now.

excellent post Morg ... do you ever sleep BTW ?

What did Tubby do? Billy Clyde? Hell, even Joe B? Ok, so you think his time has ran out, then who do we replace him with? Rupp and Pitino were two luxuries, and Cal is not on their level. However, he’s MUCH better than the other three I mentioned, and there’s no better option out there. What can we as fans do to make this better, and hold Cal accountable? What’s your solution? Enlighten me.

I listened to the post game and it really drove home my feelings that Cal is done here . It’s been a good ride , we all know it coulda been a ton better . But his own ego won’t allow it. The truth is he , and the team , and the program are a hot mess and it’s just sad . I love Swaggy Cal and kicking ass and beating hated . Now it’s just like , whatever . No one hardly cares . But Cal better right the ship soon or we will no longer be the winningest program in college ball.

lastly did you hear Cal comments on Clark , and I quote “ he’s a poor lay up shooter , he needs to take the floater “ WTH ??? Poor layup shooter ?

What did Tubby do? Billy Clyde? Hell, even Joe B? Ok, so you think his time has ran out, then who do we replace him with? Rupp and Pitino were two luxuries, and Cal is not on their level. However, he’s MUCH better than the other three I mentioned, and there’s no better option out there. What can we as fans do to make this better, and hold Cal accountable? What’s your solution? Enlighten me.
A dam high school coach could coach this talent. May not be able to recruit them tho.

we have zero idea who might apply if the job were open . I’d prefer Cal change but men with large ginormous egos are not exactly good at change .

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I can’t state how much hot air and garbage that presser was , the first question he tells the guy asking the question “ how about you tell me what you saw “ ? No coach , answer the damn question .

Also this notion Cal mentioned that Toppin worked his way into the rotation . Really ? He must have watched a different game than me . I saw nothing that warranted more time . Unless you want to set Ckark , and that ain’t happening .

It’s the lack of adjustments in the program that rattle me....until we start recruiting and actually playing the Justin Powell’s over the Cameron Fletcher’s of the world our offense is going to continue to be outdated. Villanova is the gold standard in offensive efficiency in college basketball the last 5 years and it’s like we are playing an entirely different sport from them right now. Dribbling and shooting ability continue to be ignored in favor of length, athleticism and defensive potential.

I turned it off.

He talked about how much he likes Kansas' team.

Cal is never going to change, and he will continue to sell lemons as long as UK fans allow it. You can hear the roar starting to actually happen. He needs to have a big turn around over the next two years or he's going to be an assistant for the Knicks where he can coach his beloved draft picks.
His prized pics...they don't want to play for him.

He is so full of crap. He gets on ESPN and says 'No Excuses", then proceeds to continue to say "We're young", "We don't know how to play together", "We don't know how to win yet".

When is he going to value SCORING??!!!!!!

To score consistently you have to SHARE THE BALL!!!

We had 16 turnovers and 8 assists. Our Guards were 12-30 from the field, that's pitiful!! Heck Boston and Clarke have yet to make a 3 in the first 3 games!!

I don't know what Cal is going to do without even adequate Guard play.
I do. Lose a lot of games

If this team improves enough in 3 months to beat Gonzaga I will eat my hat. Pretty much a guarantee we're not getting #9 this season.

He has a Lifetime Contract. That is where his arrogance is coming from, it scares the crap out of me right now.

He is SOOOOOOOO set in his ways that I can't see him altering how he approaches the offensive end of the floor. The lack of perimeter scoring has burnt us too many times, yet he NEVER even mentions how pitiful it's been. I don't know if he is superstitious about DEMANDING players make shots, but it's always the last thing he mentions. Heck his most famous line about shooting is " You don't have to make them all, you just can't miss them all".

Well Coach, WE ARE MISSING THEM ALL!!!!!!
Lifetime contract was a huge mistake. He has zero motivation and fire nowadays.
He's had all year to focus on this team. No traveling to recruit or anything else. This team should not look like this.

I’m still shocked how awful that presser was . I’ve always wanted Cal to change/ adjust / adapt whatever . But I think his time here has ran it’s course .

Boston is a lottery pick? What has done in 3 games that would even make him a draft pick at all?
Well, nothing....but we know that you don't have to perform great as a freshman to be a top draft pick. That may be true for an upperclassman, but not a freshman. Both 5-star status and the draft position of freshmen are largely based on future potential.

Blow everybody out?

We are at 1-2 with about 4 or 5 more chances for quality wins the entire year. And with corona probably cancelling some games, I think it’s reasonable to ask if this is even a tournament team.

Id like to win every game by 100, sure, but this goes way beyond that. This is as bad as a Cal team has looked since Nerlens went out in 13.

You mention Covid canceling our games.. which we already had one of, an easy Detroit Mercy game, that'd be in the win column.

So we have limited practice, we lose two exhibition games, we lose an easy cupcake game, the compacted season means another 1 or 2 games less against bad teams, so now were literally playing major programs the rest of the season.

So I don't think its fair to compare this team to any past team, and certainly not so early.. none had to endure this. Even the Nerlens had build up games before the tough ones.

I think what were likely looking at, is a Kentucky team that's in early November form, that's in it's mid December slate of games. Covid put developing this young team probably a month behind schedule. Even Keion (who we dont even have yet), didn't get a full season to develope. What can you do?

Last edited:
If anyone enjoyed that $hit tonight-they hate the game of basketball. Offensive basketball is the easiest part of coaching. It's literally conveying to guys a concept that fits the personnel and holding them to it. This team's offense is a mess. BOTH PG's-one is a FR and other is a 5th yr guy--do the same thing with ball, neither can penetrate. Both wings are dribbling the ball to do anything and can't play off the catch.....the best shooter on the team is a 7'0 guy who also is the only post player.

Most frustrating thing to watch--nobody cuts hard to the ball, nobody moves off the ball, guys just picked a time to fire up a shot--I thought Isaiah Jackson was the best player on the team tonight and then he got lit up for 2 straight 3's and his response-to fire up a 3 with 4 mins+ left because his feelings were hurt. WTF?? What have they been doing for the past 5 months?
It was unwatchable. I've seen elementary school games that were more entertaining.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT