ADVERTISEMENT

Cal's Monday radio show

I don't think he promises minutes. I DO think he promises starting spots.

He definitely promises something. He didn't always but starting with Brandon Boston he started making promises and other concessions like how they will be used.

Cal sold his soul to get back into top recruiting. Now with O and others, he can walk that back a bit but he is absolutely not above doing it again to get someone.

No one has ever said Cal promises playing time. People say that Cal gives huge chunks of unearned minutes to his pet draft candidates, taking those minutes away from other players who have earned them by reasonable basketball standards, and among other things tries to cover it up by saying things like he doesn’t promise anyone minutes. How brainwashed do you have to be to not only slurp this stuff but also think it’s some kind of mic drop.
Personally, I think he promises PT.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Well that settles it. If Cal said it then it must be true.

One need only to look at this year to see that Cal refuses to start the best lineup. I mean, is there anyone that really questions whether the starters are the best? You can claim it doesn’t matter, such and such isn’t 100% yet, or whatever else you wanna tell yourself. I’ve seen very few actually try to claim it’s the best lineup.

Call it what u want—Cal making promises, not wanting to hurt team chemistry, protecting guys draft stock, etc. Bottom line—he has refused to start the best lineup this year. If it ends up working out, I will applaud him. If it bites our ass in the tourney—which is what many are concerned about—he will take the heat. As he rightfully should.

My own personal opinion—he is trying to protect team chemistry. Which I get, but at some point I think you gotta start with your best lineup. Bring Wagner and Dilly off the bench. I think that would work very well. Takes some pressure off DJ and allows Dilly to be that spark. Clearly Cal doesn’t feel that way I for one hope that it works. DJ played much better against Arky, so maybe he is just now getting over injury.

No one has ever said Cal promises playing time. People say that Cal gives huge chunks of unearned minutes to his pet draft candidates, taking those minutes away from other players who have earned them by reasonable basketball standards, and among other things tries to cover it up by saying things like he doesn’t promise anyone minutes. How brainwashed do you have to be to not only slurp this stuff but also think it’s some kind of mic drop.
Lots of people have said he has promised playing time.

Reactions: thedahc
I want him to win a title and then ride off into the sunset. But i’m ready for a change regardless of how the season ends.

It’s not because I hate him. It’s because we’ve got more than enough evidence that he’s no longer capable of putting a dominant team on the floor. And the head coach at the top program in the sport should be able to do that consistently.
Bama has some evidence to the contrary. As a matter of fact this group's "A game" is the most dominant in the nation. Unfortunately we could lose to Asbury at any moment.

People really type this shit out, and believe it.
Come on man. It's true and we have people on here saying as much. Some people never recovered from the kneeling thing. Some people refuse to cheer for the team anymore just because Cal is a liberal, my own uncle for instance. We have people on here actually rooting for losses if it means Mitch will fire Cal (which he won't). Don't be naive.

One thing that's being glossed over......if a person turns on the radio to catch the coaches show then that person is an absolute superfan.

Props to ya.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Come on man. It's true and we have people on here saying as much. Some people never recovered from the kneeling thing. Some people refuse to cheer for the team anymore just because Cal is a liberal, my own uncle for instance. We have people on here actually rooting for losses if it means Mitch will fire Cal (which he won't). Don't be naive.

From 2010 to 2012, and March 2014, 2015 and 2017 people didn't care. When it looks like coach cares more about "ending generational poverty" than ending our Final Four drought, people care. Because we know those kids are getting rich with or without Cal.

No player has ever said that. Not in his 15 seasons here. Not one!!
I know one player that said it publicly , D”Aaron Fox — who said John Calipari didn’t care if he won games or not as an indirect quote should we take one quote from one player and apply it to his entire career ? of course not
I think it would be safe to say Cal gives preferential treatment too many players over the last few years. is it promised? Who cares? It’s terrible coaching and that’s the big point.

Reactions: crestcat
OP, every single UK fan wants this team to succeed. I can't think of one member of BBN who would cheer against the Cats just because they dislike Calipari.

I guarantee you that if this team makes a Final Four run, it will unite this fan base unlike anything else.

There's nothing that unites this fan base like winning. As others have mentioned, if Cal wants BBN united and supporting him, all he has to do is win. It's really that simple.
I am one of JVC's biggest detractors, but I love this team because the kids seem to genuinely like each and pull for each of their teammates no matter who it is. I think as a TEAM they care about winning no matter who gets the job done.

From 2010 to 2012, and March 2014, 2015 and 2017 people didn't care. When it looks like coach cares more about "ending generational poverty" than ending our Final Four drought, people care. Because we know those kids are getting rich with or without Cal.
I never said people don't care or shouldn't care

I know one player that said it publicly , D”Aaron Fox — who said John Calipari didn’t care if he won games or not as an indirect quote should we take one quote from one player and apply it to his entire career ? of course not
I think it would be safe to say Cal gives preferential treatment too many players over the last few years. is it promised? Who cares? It’s terrible coaching and that’s the big point.
Some don't have to at all if they don't want to.

I was encouraged by some of the comments, but I don’t have a hate boner for Cal and want him to do well and right the ship.

My issue is doubting he can get back to the pace he set his first seven years. I don’t hate the guy because this stuff isn’t life consuming for me.

star wars GIF

Uk fans using Jedi mind tricks on Cal
Im going to call in next week and tell him the fans dont every want him to work in a zone defense during games and that we believe in man for the full 40 always and forever.

It sure doesn’t take a genius to figure out that DJ Wagner or his family was promised something. He’s been getting subbed out two mins into the games. It’s stupid.

I hope like Hell cal pulls all the right strings and this team goes on the run we all know they are capable of. Whatever happens, lose first game or go all the way, I want cal gone. I hate how he runs this program and prioritizes certain players over others regardless of performance. I seriously laugh at anyone who believes cal doesn’t make promises to certain players and uses “because he said so” as proof. 😂😂😂

Had to look it up... but yes, he did indeed. Crazy.
I know someone who knew the kid at the time. He called me once and said if that is the kind of kid that kentucky is recruiting then we are totally screwed. Feel bad for the kid, but yeah he was not for us.

Im going to call in next week and tell him the fans dont every want him to work in a zone defense during games and that we believe in man for the full 40 always and forever.
Classic....fans should totally start doing this to troll Cal.

I'll call in next week and say you should always start the highest rated kids on NBA draft boards :)

Reactions: crestcat

Good lord. So like the bottom 1% make up for the rest of us. 99% of UK fans just want to see us win. I don't give a shit who the coach is. Just win.

Who is Cal taking minutes away from and, who gets the unearned minutes?

Reactions: thedahc
Cal has always been this way. Remember when he cracked that we're in big trouble if Josh Harrelson is leading us in rebounding? Harrelson took offense (who wouldn't?) and said "man how about just a pat on the butt for busting my ass?" on social media. Cal was like "how dare you". Thank God he came around that year, although he didn't have much choice.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
What I think the saddest thing is, that we are watching UT or Ala win the SEC year after year and we are not in the hunt. This shit has to stop.

I’d say we were in the hunt in 2022 and we won it in 2020. But these last 2 seasons and 2021…oof. We were eliminated from contention with 3 games left this season and with 5 games left only a miracle would have put us back in the conversation.

And this is with probably 2 top 10 picks on the team.

There are fans that really still can’t see that 2024 John Calipari is not the same level of coach we hired in 2010.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Good lord the extreme Cal apologists are literally the worst fans on here.

I’m convinced we could go 0-31 and some of them would still make excuses for him. I mean we went 9-16 and there are supposed UK fans that defend that. Ain’t no way man.

Not really. There have been a lot of teams that weren’t dominant win that title. 2006 Florida. 2011 and 2014 Uconn. 2003 Syracuse. 2017 UNC. 1997 Arizona.
Done, I will take it, if you would I will take the non dominant Florida team in 2006, they won again th next season

I'd love to hear what his reasoning is for NOT starting Reed (Dilly, I'm not as concerned with as much and don't think it's the worst thing he comes off the bench).

If he's NOT doing this because he promised PT to others, or is trying to get them drafted, or whatever.. then what is it? My only hope here is that he's really just trying to get guys like DJ and Edwards more reps for March, and come SECT, he just unleashes Reed in full.

Because if UK gets bounced in the 2nd round, with Reed and Dilly not starting, he's going to get hammered for this on a national level.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
Done, I will take it, if you would I will take the non dominant Florida team in 2006, they won again th next season

2006 Florida were a 3 seed and finished 2nd in the sec at 10-6. That wasn’t really a dominant team. They were a good team that gel’d late.

Obviously they got much better the next season as tends to happen when you return 5 starters. 3 of which were projected first round picks.

Good lord the extreme Cal apologists are literally the worst fans on here.

I’m convinced we could go 0-31 and some of them would still make excuses for him. I mean we went 9-16 and there are supposed UK fans that defend that. Ain’t no way man.

2006 Florida were a 3 seed and finished 2nd in the sec at 10-6. That wasn’t really a dominant team. They were a good team that gel’d late.

Obviously they got much better the next season as tends to happen when you return 5 starters. 3 of which were projected first round picks.
If you win 2 titles I'm a row you obviously had a team that was good, I don't give a rats assbif they dominated Semantics

If you win 2 titles I'm a row you obviously had a team that was good, I don't give a rats assbif they dominated Semantics

That’s not really the argument though. The argument is you can win a title without being dominant. And florida did that in 2006.

But yes, i would gladly take those 2 year results from Cal. But for that to happen, he’d have to win it this year, and then get a bunch of starters back. Number of returning starters under Cal by year

2024: 0
2023: 2(wheeler and oscar)
2022: 1 (Brooks)
2021: 0
2020: 1 (Hagans)
2019: 1 1/2(PJ, Green sort of)
2018: 1 (Gabriel was benched for Willis at the end of 2017 however)
2017: 1 (Briscoe)
2016: 0
2015: 3 (Andrew, Aaron, Dakari)

It’s been almost 10 years since we’ve gotten back more than 2. And we’ve only gotten back more than 1 twice in that time if you count Green in 2019 who only started 13 games in 2018 i believe.

So yeah…IF we win the ship this season and IF we get an abnormal amount of guys back from that team…sure let’s keep him. I’d be on board with that. But i’d wager that odds of that happening are extremely low.

I'd love to hear what his reasoning is for NOT starting Reed (Dilly, I'm not as concerned with as much and don't think it's the worst thing he comes off the bench).

If he's NOT doing this because he promised PT to others, or is trying to get them drafted, or whatever.. then what is it? My only hope here is that he's really just trying to get guys like DJ and Edwards more reps for March, and come SECT, he just unleashes Reed in full.

Because if UK gets bounced in the 2nd round, with Reed and Dilly not starting, he's going to get hammered for this on a national level.
Point shaving. No other explanation.

• Wow
Reactions: Montana81
Good lord. So like the bottom 1% make up for the rest of us. 99% of UK fans just want to see us win. I don't give a shit who the coach is. Just win.
They are the bottom 1% of fans. But not on a message board like this. Much higher percentage . If you don’t see them it’s just because you choose not to.

Btw I didn’t say they spoke for the rest of us. I said they are around and they are. I am with you, I just want my team to win. I could care less who the coach is. But not everyone is like us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT