ADVERTISEMENT

Cal's Monday radio show

BBBLazing

Senior
Dec 30, 2009
Good listen. Fired me up a bit. He answered plenty of questions that are batted around on here. He even mentioned the "promise" issue that many people like to use saying he promises playing time. I really hope that we make a deep run and it shuts people up. Not because I like Cal over the program, but because I want us to win, and I think some of you hate Cal so much that you can't get behind our team. Lets go Cats.

No one has ever said Cal promises playing time. People say that Cal gives huge chunks of unearned minutes to his pet draft candidates, taking those minutes away from other players who have earned them by reasonable basketball standards, and among other things tries to cover it up by saying things like he doesn’t promise anyone minutes. How brainwashed do you have to be to not only slurp this stuff but also think it’s some kind of mic drop.

I wanted CAL here as much as anyone and now want him gone just as much but would never want a loss early on in the tournament to help seal his fate. I hope KY can make a deep run with a lot of talented guards, we all know how important guards are in March. GO CATS!!

Good listen. Fired me up a bit. He answered plenty of questions that are batted around on here. He even mentioned the "promise" issue that many people like to use saying he promises playing time. I really hope that we make a deep run and it shuts people up. Not because I like Cal over the program, but because I want us to win, and I think some of you hate Cal so much that you can't get behind our team. Lets go Cats.
I’d be very happy with cal if he won a title. The problem is he won’t. Maybe we win a couple maybe 3 games. That’s where we are. Maybes and low expectations. Cal used to have us in the thick now it’s “who the hell knows.” I think he could make a sweet sixteen or elite 8 and that will be considered “shutting up people” by some. The problem is next year is another crap shoot because cal builds on nothing. He needs a title if he wants fans off his back. That’s the only thing that will cleanse his ineptness since his fat ass contract

No one has ever said Cal promises playing time. People say that Cal gives huge chunks of unearned minutes to his pet draft candidates, taking those minutes away from other players who have earned them by reasonable basketball standards, and among other things tries to cover it up by saying things like he doesn’t promise anyone minutes. How brainwashed do you have to be to not only slurp this stuff but also think it’s some kind of mic drop.
I’ve seen other posters say that he promises time to players very often. I’d say daily.

I don’t disagree that others deserve more time, just pointing out that the promise thing op said happens daily here.

Last edited:
I want him to win a title and then ride off into the sunset. But i’m ready for a change regardless of how the season ends.

It’s not because I hate him. It’s because we’ve got more than enough evidence that he’s no longer capable of putting a dominant team on the floor. And the head coach at the top program in the sport should be able to do that consistently.

I don’t like Cal but if he makes a Final Four I’ll cup his balls for four hours. One hour for each win.

Brainwashed is starting to be the other side of the argument. Can't see any positive from your supposed team. What do you think promised playing time is. You literally just said he doesn't do it, and then said he does. The only difference in the two things you listed is cal telling the player what he's going to do. Lol

I want him to win a title and then ride off into the sunset. But i’m ready for a change regardless of how the season ends.

It’s not because I hate him. It’s because we’ve got more than enough evidence that he’s no longer capable of putting a dominant team on the floor. And the head coach at the top program in the sport should be able to do that consistently.
But if he wins a title, isn't that evidence he can put a dominant team on the floor?

oh, so fans are back to believing what Calipari says now eh?

couple of things

a deep run isn't going to shut anyone up. A deep run just means 1 out of 5 years has been to UK standards. Cal would need 3 or 4 deep runs to prove anything, and few believe he has that in the tank. Even with a deep run this year, short of a final four, this is still going to likely be a 10 loss team that didn't win the SEC regular season - didn't even lead and had bad losses including 3 straight at Rupp.

second, whether he promises playing time or not, he plays favorites and its based on future recruiting. So the promise of playing time is implied because if you are a 5 star, I'm going to play you and develop you - not for wins at Kentucky, but for your NBA career, and so I can recruit the next 5 star player while not having to answers questions about promised playing time.

Clearly having a team of 5 star players isn't the magical panacea Calipari led fans to believe it was in terms of #1 seeds and championship banners - and Cal has had multiple seasons to address it and fix it. Instead he goes all in.

Last edited:
Guy would say anything on his radio show . why would we believe anything he has to say at this point ? .. The facts of how much certain people play, and how he most certainly , undeniably has played favorites the past 4-5 years or so sure looks like his answer to the promise question was word salad and without a true description of what has went on here at times . In the 9-16 season did he like losing so well he stuck with Bj Boston til the SEC tourney ? There was no promise of minutes to a guy that was unplayable ? Some people are soooooo gullible .

OP, every single UK fan wants this team to succeed. I can't think of one member of BBN who would cheer against the Cats just because they dislike Calipari.

I guarantee you that if this team makes a Final Four run, it will unite this fan base unlike anything else.

There's nothing that unites this fan base like winning. As others have mentioned, if Cal wants BBN united and supporting him, all he has to do is win. It's really that simple.

People have definitely said Cal promises time and that he promises starting positions. Not just one poster but dozens. You read this board often?

No nobody has ever said that, lol. Just about 30 times after every single loss is all, I mean, it’s never said.

star wars GIF

Uk fans using Jedi mind tricks on Cal

And they were correct.

Right. He might not say the exact words “i promise or guarantee you…”. this or that etc. But i bet he makes damn sure certain guys know it’s their spot to lose.

Quade Green more or less let that slip years ago.

In an interview shortly after he committed he said Cal told him something to the effect of “he let me know i’d have the keys to the car right away”. paraphrasing but i remember it was close to that. And i think we all know what he meant by that.

It is what it is. I’m not upset if he promises kids starting spots or playing time to get them to commit. You’re not getting a kid like Justin Edwards unless he knows he’s starting.

No coach at UK has done that other than Pitino in a brief 6 year run.

• Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086
Said he puts Shep and Dilly in just three minutes into the game. Why don't he just say to get some five star players you have to guarantee starting? Why not just be honest? We see who the best players are. Not like he can make up reasons because we know all teams start their best players.

He kept emphasizing that if a player can't stay in front of his man then he will put someone else in. Told Ugo that if he can't play good defense he will play the other two because they are better on offense. That is how I like him to talk, just be truthful with us so we can try and understand why he does things.

Reactions: ManitouDan
OP, every single UK fan wants this team to succeed. I can't think of one member of BBN who would cheer against the Cats just because they dislike Calipari.

I guarantee you that if this team makes a Final Four run, it will unite this fan base unlike anything else.

There's nothing that unites this fan base like winning. As others have mentioned, if Cal wants BBN united and supporting him, all he has to do is win. It's really that simple.
You can't think of one member that would cheer against the Cats because they dislike Calipari???

How about two in their own words @RunninRichie & @ukjenning44. See below
If missing the tournament equals cal being fired. I’m game!
I’m to that point. A point I’ve never been to in my life.
If it takes us losing every game to get him fired. I’m game!

I’m tired of it!!

He will be home in a few hours tweeting about our 7 NBA all stars:

Hope oats blows us out by 40. And no one is in the stands to watch it. Send a message.

Reactions: Rockfly78
I’m 60-40 on Cal at this point. I want him gone more than I want to keep him but I want to win above all else. I know the tourney is very unpredictable but anything less than a final four, he will feel the heat from the seat.

Reactions: K_TIME
I've already explained it to you. If losing a game means a coach who is not winning gets ousted. I'm all for it. I'd rather rip the band-aid off than toil in medicority. Weak attempt at a gotcha. GFY.

No attempt at gotcha. You said you wanted us to lose by 40. No way around that.

And by the way, thank you for supporting my point.

I n your post just now you admit to doing what @Son_Of_Saul said he had not seen "I can't think of one member of BBN who would cheer against the Cats just because they dislike Calipari."

Your post just now is LITERALLY you admitting to cheering against the Cats just because you dislike Calipari.

So thanks, I appreciate you bolstering my point.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
The CHC claims all the time that Cal plays players because he made promises to the player, Klutch, the bogeyman or whomever.

You are just backtracking now because the facts just don't support the lies told.

Shifting to what you now call unearned. Unearned in who's opinion? Yours? OK, what is your coaching record? How much time do you spend at practice with these players everyday to determine what is earned based on your personal knowledge and experience as a coach?

I suppose people without your vast experi8ence as a coach could be seen as brainwashed as you claim. So just what is your record? When was your HoF induction?

No player has ever said he was promised minutes here. No player has ever said another player is getting unearned minutes. But you know? And you attack others that don't have your knowledge. Maybe you are correct? But let's see what your credentials are? And attending CHC meeting don't count.

There have been two posters here in the last 10 days or so that clearly said they want UK to lose. One is runningawayrichie and I don't remember the other one. But I can find it again if I needed to.

Reactions: thedahc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT