ADVERTISEMENT

Cal's Legacy - Failure?

Dec 19, 2022
I do believe if Cal doesn’t win another championship, his time at UK will be considered a failure. As a retired Indiana high school coach I’m not a fan of publicly bashing coaches. As a life-long UK fan it’s hard for me to watch the decline of the program. We have seen the worst regular season, worst tourney defeat (I witnessed in person), worst regular season lose (Evansville), lost all-time wins, lost longest consecutive 3pt games, low scoring boring basketball and all this with top 5 recruiting classes.

My responsibility as a coach was to improve every player every day, take advantages of my team strengths while exploiting my opponent’s weakness. There are things I consider essential for any program to be successful which is not being done at UK and the reason they have not reached a FF in 7 years.

I can’t say what goes on at a UK practice, but player development does not. All sports require proper form and fundamentals to excel which is learned through muscle-memory exercises. It usually requires a minimum of 1500 consistent repetitions to develop the proper form whether it would be shooting a basketball, swinging a bat, etc.

With the time and resources at UK how do you justify poor free throw percentage at the end of the year? We’ve already seen it most likely cost UK a couple of championships since Cal has been here. Why does Wheeler have poor shooting fundamentals after being in the program after 3 years? His shot is fundamentally flawed and he will never shoot a high percentage from 3 until it is corrected. There is no reason players have poor shooting unless you are not teaching proper fundamentals. It's 100% on the coach to install drills that improve each player based on their position which defines their role on the team. You won't have a guard working on what a center would be. All players whether in high school, college, or pro should improve weekly, monthly, and yearly with all aspects of their game with the proper coaching. I would hate to think Cal doesn't know therefore he can't teach it.

I can’t understand how senior players Toppin and Ware show very little improvement after being in the program for 4 years. Daimion Collins, McDonald’s All-American and extremely athletic, contributes very little in his second year. It’s a SHAME that fans bash players for their lack of development. We have seen this with many other players over the years but fans blame it on the player and that is sad (Brooks for example). I can assure you that every player would do whatever Cal asked.

I only joined to give a different view point and I’m not here to debate. Of course these are my opinions based on my experience. You won’t see me respond to other post on this site. To me it’s obvious what he is not teaching and although I’m a UK fan I do not think it’s the best choice for a player to attend that need to learn and improve their game.

For the sake of writing a book i will follow up with Part 2 in a few days.

Only thing Cal does at practice is scrimmage. You can see there is no teaching, or shooting practice etc. He is a terribly flawed coach that thinks his system is the only way. His system is designed to get players to the nba, not succeed at UK. UK is his employer and he has never acted like he was working for the school at all. His only interest is feeding his own ego by getting kids drafted. He cares nothing for UK. It’s a damn shame Mitch didn’t tell him to take a hike when ucla came calling. UK takes a back seat to no one when it comes to basketball. The biggest blunder was Mitch giving him the foolish contract we are stuck with now. He must have had a stroke prior to that. No one in their right mind would ever do that. Cal needs to resign asap. Right after Christmas is fine.

Jesus now high school coaches are putting there two cents.
Ed, do you not realize that coaching basketball and being a rocket scientist aren’t one in the same. Maybe coaching basketball to you seems complicated but it’s not. Any average Joe that ever played sports can coach the game itself at least to a degree as we have all received coaching.

Calipari flat out sucks at his job, simply because he’s not doing his job. It’s that simple!

What? good call out Mr Perfect 👍 It’s apparent you’re a know it all!
Look Triple C Junior. Ed’s a 100% ass to me. Biggest jerk on the board. Maybe you’d know this if you paid attention. I couldn’t care less about spelling but I’ll take any shot I can at that little child. I don’t know it all but I’d appreciate it if you knew what the hell you were responding to before you call me out. Get a life.

Look Triple C Junior. Ed’s a 100% ass to me. Biggest jerk on the board. Maybe you’d know this if you paid attention. I couldn’t care less about spelling but I’ll take any shot I can at that little child. I don’t know it all but I’d appreciate it if you knew what the hell you were responding to before you call me out. Get a life.
My Apology.

Reactions: CHAMPCAT11
My Apology.
Then do me a favor please. Since Little Boy Ed has me on ignore (but still creeps on me) how ‘bout you tell him that I said hello. If you’d do that for me I’ll be at the game Wednesday and I’ll buy you a drink in the Hyatt bar before the game. If you don’t drink I’ll buy you a coke or drink of your choice.

When he leaves he will have been here more years than Tubby, Pitino, or Coach Hall. If he only has the same amount of titles to show for it despite more time, hard to say his legacy here will be above any of theirs.

That said, 1 title is still a great career for most coaches.

Reactions: Montana81
It's not failure. He has done better than any other coach for a long time. He just hasn't gotten over that hump but once. It's not success either. Again, he's been doing this for a long time.

I think it's fatigue. He's tired. He's tired of beating his head against the wall, and he wants to stop. But there's too much money on the table. I can understand his predicament. I've been battling a major medical issue for over 30 years, and you reach a point where you just want to not hurt any more. You yourself just want to quit, but you think of how devastated your family would feel, how they will react. So you put on a happy face, no matter how stupid it seems, and you pretend it doesn't hurt and you go out into the world.

I learned that sometimes you gotta admit what's going on if only to yourself, or it will eat you up inside.

I don't hate Cal. I hate what he is becoming. I hope he wakes up to reality for his and his families sake.

Ps. Don't imagine for a minute think this doesn't effect his family either.

Reactions: BlueThunderstruck
I do believe if Cal doesn’t win another championship, his time at UK will be considered a failure. As a retired Indiana high school coach I’m not a fan of publicly bashing coaches. As a life-long UK fan it’s hard for me to watch the decline of the program. We have seen the worst regular season, worst tourney defeat (I witnessed in person), worst regular season lose (Evansville), lost all-time wins, lost longest consecutive 3pt games, low scoring boring basketball and all this with top 5 recruiting classes.

My responsibility as a coach was to improve every player every day, take advantages of my team strengths while exploiting my opponent’s weakness. There are things I consider essential for any program to be successful which is not being done at UK and the reason they have not reached a FF in 7 years.

I can’t say what goes on at a UK practice, but player development does not. All sports require proper form and fundamentals to excel which is learned through muscle-memory exercises. It usually requires a minimum of 1500 consistent repetitions to develop the proper form whether it would be shooting a basketball, swinging a bat, etc.

With the time and resources at UK how do you justify poor free throw percentage at the end of the year? We’ve already seen it most likely cost UK a couple of championships since Cal has been here. Why does Wheeler have poor shooting fundamentals after being in the program after 3 years? His shot is fundamentally flawed and he will never shoot a high percentage from 3 until it is corrected. There is no reason players have poor shooting unless you are not teaching proper fundamentals. It's 100% on the coach to install drills that improve each player based on their position which defines their role on the team. You won't have a guard working on what a center would be. All players whether in high school, college, or pro should improve weekly, monthly, and yearly with all aspects of their game with the proper coaching. I would hate to think Cal doesn't know therefore he can't teach it.

I can’t understand how senior players Toppin and Ware show very little improvement after being in the program for 4 years. Daimion Collins, McDonald’s All-American and extremely athletic, contributes very little in his second year. It’s a SHAME that fans bash players for their lack of development. We have seen this with many other players over the years but fans blame it on the player and that is sad (Brooks for example). I can assure you that every player would do whatever Cal asked.

I only joined to give a different view point and I’m not here to debate. Of course these are my opinions based on my experience. You won’t see me respond to other post on this site. To me it’s obvious what he is not teaching and although I’m a UK fan I do not think it’s the best choice for a player to attend that need to learn and improve their game.

Good read.

Some of the ones that won't read this really need to read this.

Reactions: cat tat2
Only thing Cal does at practice is scrimmage. You can see there is no teaching, or shooting practice etc. He is a terribly flawed coach that thinks his system is the only way. His system is designed to get players to the nba, not succeed at UK. UK is his employer and he has never acted like he was working for the school at all. His only interest is feeding his own ego by getting kids drafted. He cares nothing for UK. It’s a damn shame Mitch didn’t tell him to take a hike when ucla came calling. UK takes a back seat to no one when it comes to basketball. The biggest blunder was Mitch giving him the foolish contract we are stuck with now. He must have had a stroke prior to that. No one in their right mind would ever do that. Cal needs to resign asap. Right after Christmas is fine.
The NBA doesn't play his archaic style, not sure what his system gets them ready for. I'm still trying to figure out how he's able to recruit with the way his teams have looked the last three years.

Jesus now high school coaches are putting there two cents.
Ed I apologize. I didn't know this board was reserved for college coaches and athletes opinions. I guess ending 20+ year sectional and regional championships droughts at 2 different schools makes my observation about lack of player development unqualified because my experience is only with Indiana high schools.

It's not failure. He has done better than any other coach for a long time. He just hasn't gotten over that hump but once. It's not success either. Again, he's been doing this for a long time.

I think it's fatigue. He's tired. He's tired of beating his head against the wall, and he wants to stop. But there's too much money on the table. I can understand his predicament. I've been battling a major medical issue for over 30 years, and you reach a point where you just want to not hurt any more. You yourself just want to quit, but you think of how devastated your family would feel, how they will react. So you put on a happy face, no matter how stupid it seems, and you pretend it doesn't hurt and you go out into the world.

I learned that sometimes you gotta admit what's going on if only to yourself, or it will eat you up inside.

I don't hate Cal. I hate what he is becoming. I hope he wakes up to reality for his and his families sake.

Ps. Don't imagine for a minute think this doesn't effect his family either.
Then just quit. Who needs 8 million dollars a year? I live on slightly less.

Ed I apologize. I didn't know this board was reserved for college coaches and athletes opinions. I guess ending 20+ year sectional and regional championships droughts at 2 different schools makes my observation about lack of player development unqualified because my experience is only with Indiana high schools.
Thank you for seeing Eddie for who he really is. He’s just a simple minded low IQ troublemaker.

So did you just love high school or were you never given the opportunity to move up?

So did you just love high school or were you never given the opportunity to move up?
Coached my kids through high school until my nearby high school alma mater called so I finished my career there. Both schools class 2A but never considered or wanted anything more. Coaching requires a lot of time away from my family and I should have retired sooner to enjoy my grandkids.

To me Mike Decourcy is as good as analyst out there and is as much in tune with our program as anyone and just has a great feel for things and I'll nevere forget what he said the day Cal was hired. He is not one for hypebole and tries to keep it real most of the time but he said without a doubt Cal will win MULTIPLE championships at KY. He said he cant say how many but it will be MULTIPLE because this is the perfect storm about to hit college basketball. It was as much of a slam dunk predictio as he could give because he felt so strongly about it.

Today he is as shocked and befuddled as anybody as to why this didn't happen like it should/could have.

Last edited:
Coached my kids through high school until my nearby high school alma mater called so I finished my career there. Both schools class 2A but never considered or wanted anything more. Coaching requires a lot of time away from my family and I should have retired sooner to enjoy my grandkids.
Just figured colleges were beating down your door.

Failure is a little strong.

Underachiever is fair and accurate.

First half of the tenure was amazing. Back half has been incredibly average.

No league title since 2020. No conference tournament title since 2018. No final fours since 2015. No NCAA tourney wins since 2019. One losing season. One loss to a 15 seed.

No league title since 2017. No conference tournament title since 2018. No final fours since 2015. No NCAA tourney wins since 2019. One losing season. One loss to a 15 seed.
He was too successful the first 5 years. No one could keep up that pace.

He was too successful the first 5 years. No one could keep up that pace.
I agree. The problem is the inconsistency since 2015.

2016: Mediocre
2017: Very good
2018: Mediocre
2019: Good but not great
2020: Good but not great
2021: Embarrassment
2022: Good but not great, arguably the worst NCAA loss in school history
2023: TBD, currently mediocre

I want Cal to do well and I don’t hate him. But, only a blind man couldn’t see our program is trending downward. We have the talent to be great this year, but look like we’re playing in mud and don’t have a clue what to do when transition baskets are few and far between. Someone dribbles, everyone else watches. This has been an issue for the last 3-4 years. Orher SEC programs have caught up with is in terms of talent and play much more exciting brands of basketball.

No league title since 2020. No conference tournament title since 2018. No final fours since 2015. No NCAA tourney wins since 2019. One losing season. One loss to a 15 seed.
No One Seeds since 2015 either. That is the longest drought in school history I read. Won't be one this year either.

He's made lifetime fans like myself care less, because he cares less.
If you're looking at him overall, he will be judged as a success- national title, four Final Fours, and a runner-up finish. We have one year where we were actually good since 2015 and that was the 2017 team. That team could have won it all and would have if not for that ref. But the other teams have been just mediocre.

But his impact on the Kentucky brand has been a disaster. He absolutely destroyed it for an entire generation with how we are viewed as a program.

I agree. The problem is the inconsistency since 2015.

2016: Mediocre
2017: Very good
2018: Mediocre
2019: Good but not great
2020: Good but not great
2021: Embarrassment
2022: Good but not great, arguably the worst NCAA loss in school history
2023: TBD, currently mediocre

I want Cal to do well and I don’t hate him. But, only a blind man couldn’t see our program is trending downward. We have the talent to be great this year, but look like we’re playing in mud and don’t have a clue what to do when transition baskets are few and far between. Someone dribbles, everyone else watches. This has been an issue for the last 3-4 years. Orher SEC programs have caught up with is in terms of talent and play much more exciting brands of basketball.
It’s December. Don’t give up on the season is all I’m saying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT