ADVERTISEMENT

Calmed down enough to dissect our loss .

ManitouDan

All-American
Dec 7, 2006
Just random thoughts as my mind probably isnt too clear .

I enjoyed the game with my 87 year old mom . She got so nervous she started reading a magazine the last minute , said it was just too much for her to take .
The loss will hurt more if those cheats win it all. If anyone else wins It wont hurt as bad .

We just got mauled inside , they had soooo many second chance points .
Monk was totally MIA , reminded me so much of Murray Vs Indiana . It worried me that he was so entirely hot/cold this year .
First half officiating was horrible, but why cant it be horrible both ways ?
I kinda laugh at the people bitching about May , I mean Cmon , After the way Hump played ?
I've said it before and pissed people off but our total approach on both sides of the ball was so out of whack . Because of having to play Briscoe , Hes a warrior without a position on this team , hes far too small to guard a 3 , and the stuff that he does in the lane doesnt work when you run into teams with length . His skill set , and yes he does have some skills , just didnt fit this team at all.
Gabriel's lack of development bit us in the butt . We invested TONS of minutes in him this year to have him be an afterthought in a game that counted the most .
Again in the last 5 min of a tight game we go totally STALE on offense , very little movement , simple pick n roll with the clock working against us ..
But getting nothing from Monk was too much to overcome , and Joel Berry did basically nothing tonight. Game was there for the taking and we didnt grab it . Just sad .

I enjoyed the game with my 87 year old mom . She got so nervous she started reading a magazine the last minute , said it was just too much for her to take .
The loss will hurt more if those cheats win it all. If anyone else wins It wont hurt as bad .

Monk was totally MIA , reminded me so much of Murray Vs Indiana . It worried me that he was so entirely hot/cold this year .
I kinda laugh at the people bitching about May , I mean Cmon , After the way Hump played ?
I've said it before and pissed people off but our total approach on both sides of the ball was so out of whack . Because of having to play Briscoe , Hes a warrior without a position on this team , hes far too small to guard a 3 , and the stuff that he does in the lane doesnt work when you run into teams with length . His skill set , and yes he does have some skills , just didnt fit this team at all.
Gabriel's lack of development bit us in the butt . We invested TONS of minutes in him this year to have him be an afterthought in a game that counted the most .
Again in the last 5 min of a tight game we go totally STALE on offense , very little movement , simple pick n roll with the clock working against us ..
But getting nothing from Monk was too much to overcome , and Joel Berry did basically nothing tonight. Game was there for the taking and we didnt grab it . Just sad .

All good points. Watch Matthews light it up for Michigan next year.

Good post
Jackson shut down Monk...Monk was real bad on both ends
People who scream to throw ball to Bam amaze me...He's horrible with back to basket...Gets stripped..Walks or bricks shot
Cal missing on SKJ and Gabriel talent level killed us
We needed another shooter and banger

Reactions: thepip
When we went up 5 and Roy called a timeout, the tide changed. They went to a zone and we acted like we had never seen one. I think we were out scored 10-0 in that time span. That and missed free throws stand out the most to me.

Reactions: d2atTech
Playing them once before - and especially beating them - was a huge advantage for Carolina. They were ready for Monk, and motivated after the 47 last time. It's why I thought we'd beat UCLA, and KU if we'd have played, and was one reason why Carolina was the one team I wanted to avoid. Monk had six points with 59 seconds left in the game. At this point, we can't have that and get the W.

Good post
Jackson shut down Monk...Monk was real bad on both ends
People who scream to throw ball to Bam amaze me...He's horrible with back to basket...Gets stripped..Walks or bricks shot
Cal missing on SKJ and Gabriel talent level killed us
We needed another shooter and banger
We started the game throwing to Bam 0 for 5 and 3TO's. He is ineffective against the kind of strength and length UNC has

When we went up 5 and Roy called a timeout, the tide changed. They went to a zone and we acted like we had never seen one. I think we were out scored 10-0 in that time span. That and missed free throws stand out the most to me.

we got the shot we wanted so, for at least two of those possession.

One was to Humphries's favorite, and another is Willis's open 3. Should have gotten 5 points there.

I also thought we played good defense when they scored first two possession after their time out. Unfortunately they made them.

we got the shot we wanted so, for at least two of those possession.

One was to Humphries's favorite, and another is Willis's open 3. Should have gotten 5 points there.

I also thought we played good defense when they scored first two possession after their time out. Unfortunately they made them.
^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^

Reactions: d2atTech
UNC scored exactly the same number of points UCLA did. UK didn't make shots like they did Friday. Pretty simple. UNC isn't much better on D than UCLA. UK just missed too many open shots.

Reactions: catben
Our shooting went cold and UNC was able to abuse us, literally, underneath the hoop, and we had foul trouble that almost rivaled 2010's UNC game..

That's all there is to say.

The cards were stacked against us, as they always are. From officiating to seeding.. Some years we can prevail.. some we can't.

Last edited:
Reactions: WildMoon

Remeber when Cal said after the Wisky game "i thought we had'm". We took the lead and we tried to sit on it. I wonder if he thought tjat this time? Simular situations

He left the shooter open on that last shot

nope, that wasn't on briscoe. Watch the play. Each player needs to pick up their designated players. Briscoe picked up Berry. Fox was on Pinson (who had the ball). Nameless person left Maye (whatever his name is), and left him open.

So when Berry moved towards the center, briscoe followed. Only to see Maye get the ball with no one guarding him, so he tried to cover for someone's mistake.

Mulder 0-5 FGs, Fox 5-14 FGs, 7 missed FTs, nothing from Gabriel.

Big props to Hump!! 12 and 5 off the bench in 21 minutes.

Even though we could have won it, in the 2nd half, I thought we lost it in the 1st. Higgins putting 3 of our starters on the bench, only hitting 5 of 11 foul shots, and missing 3-4 layups. The final straw was Fox getting fouled by two players on the same play, at the end of the half, with no call. Hard to overcome.

Reactions: ManitouDan
If they call any of the 18 or so fouls Meeks committed while "rebounding" and "blocking" shots we win

Our bench basically hung with UNC during the first half. Had Fox been on the court and been able to do his usual (i.e. get in the lane and finish, get fouled or both), we would have had a lead at half. We also would have had fewer empty possessions down that terrible stretch in the 2nd half. There was a possession when fox would normally have bulled in the lane and drawn contact and gotten points, but instead he settled for a jumper. He NEVER shies away from contact in those situations. In this case he did. I attribute that to the way the game was called. He did not want to get a charge or turn the ball over when he got mauled and no call.

ADVERTISEMENT