ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari running a zone ???

Ripcord65

Senior
Apr 29, 2009
I missed all of the comments on the first couple of games in Canada, and I don't think I've seen a post today about the fact that Calipari ran a 2-3 zone defense for significant minutes today against ABL. If this subject has already been talked about, I apologize.

It's back baby!
italian-calzone.jpg
;)

The zone would have graded out terrific had we rebounded.

Cal said he drew the zone responsibilities in the huddle.

All these guys played zone before UK. It’s not rocket science.

Cal should have utilized a zone at times in the past as a backup when our m to m was failing.

Lost some big games by refusing to change up.

Even today it slowed Africa down when we were leading and the clock was running.

Can’t just be like a MLB pitcher with only one pitch.

Last edited:
We've done full court pressure, half court traps, zone, and less switching as of late. The team has looked a lot better running offense as well. How often have we seen 4 out or 5 out with good spacing in the past few years?

This team is going to have to use zone at times against some opponents to be successful. Africa wasn't moving the ball well against it at first and it was a good adjustment at the time. Probably not what they were expecting to see.

It seems like he throws out a token zone a few times during exhibition and preseason games every year. We then proceed to never see it again when the real games start. We will see, but it seems like he doesn't want to put in the time and effort to hone that weapon by taking the time to practice and become good at it. Perhaps it's Welch's baby now and we will see it more when we need it?

Reactions: kywildcat41086
It’s obvious someone besides CCC is making changes to this team.

Yes, Rupp ran that occasionally.
Hey, John. When Doc Holiday posted about the "Stratified transitional hyperbolic paraboloid", I wondered whether anybody else on this board but me would be old enough to remember Rupp using that term to describe a "zone defense."
Glad to know another ol' geezer who remembers those "Ruppisms."
Go 'Cats !

Reactions: Johnfarrel
Nobody here "hates Cal". He just can't coach, that's all. Why does his inability to coach offend you? Because you agree he can't coach, or because you don't like people telling you he can't coach?
You apparently think you know more about basketball than a Hall-of-Fame coach. I mean no disrespect but what makes you an expert on college basketball coaching?

Reactions: drawing_dead
I missed all of the comments on the first couple of games in Canada, and I don't think I've seen a post today about the fact that Calipari ran a 2-3 zone defense for significant minutes today against ABL. If this subject has already been talked about, I apologize.
If Calipari would have ran his zone for a longer period of time in the 2014 national championship game against a bewildered UConn team. UConn was totally lost against UK's zone. UK would have 9 national championships now.

Hey, John. When Doc Holiday posted about the "Stratified transitional hyperbolic paraboloid", I wondered whether anybody else on this board but me would be old enough to remember Rupp using that term to describe a "zone defense."
Glad to know another ol' geezer who remembers those "Ruppisms."
Go 'Cats !
I'm only 85 and I remember that well.

Well I am 85 and I don't remember anything well but I remember that..

• Haha
Reactions: University-6
Holy god these are the most airtight arguments I have ever seen. Well done sirs. Are ether of you a debate coach by any chance? If no then I must ask why the hell not?

R.b384173dca77618d8498e2fb15896722
Can’t convince someone who doesn’t want to believe. You probably still believe Wheeler was hurt and Sharpe was going to play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT