ADVERTISEMENT

Cal wanted UCLA?

Matt Jones doesn’t need me to defend him but please explain to me how an article from a Los Angeles newspaper has anything to do with Matt Jones? I’m seriously beginning to question the collective IQ of the “I hate Matt Jones” crowd.

Is there a reason to tweet that article other than to sensationalize? Jones knows Cal used that as leverage for the lifetime contract. As long as he doesn’t forget to add that in, im cool. If he didn’t / doesn’t I’m calling bs.

Is there a reason to tweet that article other than to sensationalize? Jones knows Cal used that as leverage for the lifetime contract. As long as he doesn’t forget to add that in, im cool. If he didn’t / doesn’t I’m calling bs.

Why would a person who covers UK basketball for a living tweet an article about its head coach? I know, it’s hard to figure out why he would do that.

Matt Jones doesn’t need me to defend him but please explain to me how an article from a Los Angeles newspaper has anything to do with Matt Jones? I’m seriously beginning to question the collective IQ of the “I hate Matt Jones” crowd.

I don't hate Jones.

I come to this message board to have fun and take shots at things that people take too seriously - like Matt Jones, for instance.

You guys care way too much about politics. From weather to lifestyle, there's basically something in California for everyone.

If LA isn't for you, I get that. But California isn't just LA, and there are very few civilized places I wouldn't move for 10x my yearly pay, especially with adult children like Cal has.

Yep...if money were no object, California would be an awesome place to live. Some people allow politics to dictate every aspect of their lives. [laughing]

Cal done what any person would have. It never hurts to see what others think your worth is.
He is ours, for his coaching life, hopefully these threads die. Win win win

Yep...if money were no object, California would be an awesome place to live. Some people allow politics to dictate every aspect of their lives. [laughing]

And some people are so afraid of politics that they can’t see truth from fiction when those same politics come back and create unsustainable living.

I don’t care about “politics”. But you can’t see what’s wrong with California if you don’t take a look at it. That’s all I’m saying. People aren’t just leaving California because of cost of living even though it is a heavy factor.

California is in massive decline and there’s no doubt about it. Now it might be for you, but California isn’t attracting people, it’s losing them, and it’s for a reason. Let’s not try that.
For real. Nowadays, even in the highly desirable rural areas, you still have to worry about some space based SDI weapon starting a “forest fire”, and torching your town.

Reactions: morgousky
I had posted at the time that he’d be speaking w UCLA, but that I didn’t know if it was leverage, ego or true interest.
We can now narrow the possibilities to two! ;)
And that makes this a non-story.

And some people are so afraid of politics that they can’t see truth from fiction when those same politics come back and create unsustainable living.

I don’t care about “politics”. But you can’t see what’s wrong with California if you don’t take a look at it. That’s all I’m saying. People aren’t just leaving California because of cost of living even though it is a heavy factor.

In other words....you let politics dictate your life. [laughing] Again, if you have the money, California is an awesome state to live in.

In other words....you let politics dictate your life. [laughing] Again, if you have the money, California is an awesome state to live in.

And, he only looks at what’s wrong with California. Never what’s right. And there is plenty right. I’d bet $50 he’s never even been there. He’s probably never left rural Kentucky.

Not to pile on but if you have the money there are better places to live now. The term infestation comes to mind easily when I think of those who inhabit California now....

(Yes I have...)

Not to pile on but if you have the money there are better places to live now. The term infestation comes to mind easily when I think of those who inhabit California now....

(Yes I have...)

If money is no object, it's in my top 3 states to live in. Possibly at the top due to the diverse environment.

Reactions: chroix
He was never going to leave. It was about getting a better deal from UK. It worked. That’s why he is a good businessman.

In your opinion, does it ever get to the point that he's using UK and no longer doing things for the university? Does he ever cross into the "me first, UK second" category?

And, he only looks at what’s wrong with California. Never what’s right. And there is plenty right. I’d bet $50 he’s never even been there. He’s probably never left rural Kentucky.

I’m not from Kentucky man. I’ve been to California, my best friend lives outside of LA (military). I’ve also got a family member that lives in SD.

The facts of California are what they are. People are leaving, not going. There are several main factors for this and the environment created in the last two decades is to blame.

It’s not the weather or the soil causing them to leave but by all means, just ignore it and pretend it’s 1980. And btw, California has always been expensive, that’s not the main driver in California becoming a wasteland.

In your opinion, does it ever get to the point that he's using UK and no longer doing things for the university? Does he ever cross into the "me first, UK second" category?
He is doing plenty for the university and has a much greater economic impact for UK than what he is getting paid. He also is an integral part of major charity work in Kentucky. I call that far from “me first”.

Reactions: Montana81
If money is no object, it's in my top 3 states to live in. Possibly at the top due to the diverse environment.

You keep stating IF money is no object. It IS an object. You can't have two sides in this. If you want to live there, live there but if money is keeping you from living there it is not a decent place to live due to the costs. Money is a factor. It is a shame because the climate alone should allow all who want to live there the opportunity to live there. The California government does not allow that choice. (They really do not, they tax you into oblivion to where you cannot make the choice of your own free-will. I haven't even started on the amenities provided for those that don't care to work or move.) (Yes, for most it is a choice. Not all but most.)

He is doing plenty for the university and has a much greater economic impact for UK than what he is getting paid. He also is an integral part of major charity work in Kentucky. I call that far from “me first”.

Jeff it seems has no idea of what Cal is about. Servant leadership does not lend to anything to do with "me first". Cal shuns the "Me first" mentality and he instills that in his players which is probably one of the greater things Cal does for mankind. (Not too many do that any longer...)

Reactions: irishcat1965
You keep stating IF money is no object. It IS an object. You can't have two sides in this. If you want to live there, live there but if money is keeping you from living there it is not a decent place to live due to the costs. Money is a factor. It is a shame because the climate alone should allow all who want to live there the opportunity to live there. The California government does not allow that choice. (They really do not, they tax you into oblivion to where you cannot make the choice of your own free-will. I haven't even started on the amenities provided for those that don't care to work or move.) (Yes, for most it is a choice. Not all but most.)

But the entire discussion was based on the premise that you'd be making 10x your current salary. People said they wouldn't move there even with that pay increase. So it isn't about the money in this scenario.

I’m not from Kentucky man. I’ve been to California, my best friend lives outside of LA (military). I’ve also got a family member that lives in SD.

The facts of California are what they are. People are leaving, not going. There are several main factors for this and the environment created in the last two decades is to blame.

It’s not the weather or the soil causing them to leave but by all means, just ignore it and pretend it’s 1980. And btw, California has always been expensive, that’s not the main driver in California becoming a wasteland.

Except they’re not leaving. The population continues to grow and its consistently rated in the top 5 states to live.

Jeff it seems has no idea of what Cal is about. Servant leadership does not lend to anything to do with "me first". Cal shuns the "Me first" mentality and he instills that in his players which is probably one of the greater things Cal does for mankind. (Not too many do that any longer...)

You might be right. But do you see how some might look at Cal constantly throwing his hat in the ring for every high-profile opening each year, only to get a salary increase, and think that he's in it for himself?

But the entire discussion was based on the premise that you'd be making 10x your current salary. People said they wouldn't move there even with that pay increase. So it isn't about the money in this scenario.

It was the focus of the person to who I responded.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
You might be right. But do you see how some might look at Cal constantly throwing his hat in the ring for every high-profile opening each year, only to get a salary increase, and think that he's in it for himself?

I think the better term is Cal is being contacted. A whole lot different than how you are trying to portray this "each year" occurrence...that Cal is reaching out. I really doubt he is reaching out to anyone...

Reactions: CatfanMike47
I think the better term is Cal is being contacted. A whole lot different than how you are trying to portray this "each year" occurrence...that Cal is reaching out. I really doubt he is reaching out to anyone...

He might have not initiated the conversation, but he didn't shut them down immediately and he did make suggestions for what he would want to leave. If it's solely to get more money out of UK then I can see how some might not like it. If it's because he's open to leave then I can also see how some might not like it.

Any discussion on financial constraints is moot when discussing someone like John Calipari. He could buy a very nice home in Los Angeles and be very comfortable. Taxes wouldn’t be a concern, especially considering home values increase here every year and yet you still pay the property tax your home was assessed at when you bought it

He might have not initiated the conversation, but he didn't shut them down immediately and he did make suggestions for what he would want to leave. If it's solely to get more money out of UK then I can see how some might not like it. If it's because he's open to leave then I can also see how some might not like it.

Why in the world would you shut anyone down when they are making an offer? That is nearly un-American.Who knows but, in this instance there isn't even smoke to think there would be a fire. Some are trying to stoke a fire but with the BBN as a whole it "ain't" going to work.

Some people's efforts would be better spent in other initiatives.

OT: Who is duke u's next commitment? Are there any?

Last edited:
Any discussion on financial constraints is moot when discussing someone like John Calipari. He could buy a very nice home in Los Angeles and be very comfortable. Taxes wouldn’t be a concern, especially considering home values increase here every year and yet you still pay the property tax your home was assessed at when you bought it

Every year? Okay, but for how many years to come? The exodus of people and yes it is an exodus (Ask Texas, I just sold a home there.)

Every year sounds suspicious. Where I live now near DC houses in my area at one time sold for 700 to 800k or more....not now. I paid a lot less than that for mine. I guess it is relative to the area.

Every year? Okay, but for how many years to come? The exodus of people and yes it is an exodus (Ask Texas, I just sold a home there.)

Every year sounds suspicious. Where I live now near DC houses in my area at one time sold for 700 to 800k or more....not now. I paid a lot less than that for mine. I guess it is relative to the area.
Mine has gone up every year.
But whatever. You don’t like California so I’m not going to waste my time trying to convince you to like it

Mine has gone up every year.
But whatever. You don’t like California so I’m not going to waste my time trying to convince you to like it

I love California, it is the situation California is in that is horrible. I am glad it isn't effecting you.

Money is an object to me, but in this discussion, it's about Cal. Hell, there's a lot of places I'd like to live but can't afford to. Luckily, I can afford to live in Florida and it would have been in my top choices of places to live regardless of our income. Weather permitting, we spend 7 days a week between going to the beaches of Hutchinson Island and fishing. Miami is a nice day trip for us. Even in the dead of winter, I'm wearing shorts and sandals. It's been awesome so far.

A person with the money that Cal has can pick and chose where they'd like to live. If I had that type of money, California would be at or near the top of places I'd like to live. It's incredible with the diverse environments and just so much shit to see and do. Easily the most beautiful state I've even been to overall.

Money is an object to me, but in this discussion, it's about Cal. Hell, there's a lot of places I'd like to live but can't afford to. Luckily, I can afford to live in Florida and it would have been in my top choices of places to live regardless of our income. Weather permitting, we spend 7 days a week between going to the beaches of Hutchinson Island and fishing. Miami is a nice day trip for us. Even in the dead of winter, I'm wearing shorts and sandals. It's been awesome so far.

A person with the money that Cal has can pick and chose where they'd like to live. If I had that type of money, California would be at or near the top of places I'd like to live. It's incredible with the diverse environments and just so much shit to see and do. Easily the most beautiful state I've even been to overall.

Not doubting the beauty, in fact I can vouch for it. It's the other stuff I couldn't tolerate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT