ADVERTISEMENT

Cal upset that older players are dominating CBB

JST390-2

Junior
Nov 1, 2015
Florida
“Having kids still playing our game that are 25, 26 and 27 years old, where they would be professionals under any other circumstances is tough,” Calipari told FOX Sports.
“If you graduate, and you want to transfer, that’s fine. But for the kids in their seventh year of school now, come on,” Calipari continued. “It’s not healthy for an 18- or 19-year-old to be playing against somebody that old.”
“Because a lot of guys have stayed around in college for fifth and sixth years, that’s also part of the reason why we have a lot of transfers… Some schools are not recruiting freshmen, but only transfers.”

John Calipari’s recruiting strategy at Kentucky needs an update​

One of the hallmarks of Calipari’s tenure at Kentucky has been his ability to recruit top talent. He’s not afraid to get “one-and-done” guys and replace them the following season.

Kentucky won the National Championship in 2012. Of the team’s five starters, none were upperclassmen. Two freshmen — Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist — were selected #1 and #2 overall in the 2012 NBA Draft. Four starters were first-round draft picks.

In 2014, Kentucky reached the National Championship game but lost to UConn. Four of the team’s five starters were freshmen.

The team reached the Final Four unbeaten (38-0) in 2015 but were shocked by the Wisconsin Badgers in the national semfinal. That team, again, was led by five first-round draft picks, including three freshmen (Karl-Anthony Towns, Devin Booker and Trey Lyles).

That year proved to be a sign of things to come. Wisconsin was led by upperclassmen.
It seems that Calipari doesn’t like the direction of college basketball because it’s hurting his style. His freshman stars could more easily compete against younger upperclassmen.

But they’re being out-experienced by the older crop of players.

Calipari mentioned that some teams aren’t recruiting freshman, and he seems irked by that idea. But if players in the transfer portal can help him win, then he needs to use that to his advantage.

It appears he’s trying, too. He recently met with Michigan star Hunter Dickinson. However, he lost out to Kansas.

It sounds like he’s upset that he doesn’t have the same magic with transfers as he does with high school students.

But being an elite coach means adapting to a changing landscape.

So far, Calipari has struggled with that part.

I agree it's ridiculous 27 and still playing college basketball.
But he is also getting his excuses ready for when the overrated 5 stars lose 10 plus games again.
I told anyone that will listen these 18 year Olds will not fare well against good teams with 22 23 year Olds. Men against boys.

Cal always has a built in narrative for imminent failure, so he can point his chubby finger at anything other than himself, for the perpetual failure we witness every season. Meanwhile, dude can't even draw up an inbounds play.

yqCWABH.png

Wtf is he talking about? It’s true that 18 year olds are at a disadvantage against more physically mature, older players. But, his prized one & done divas, that he PUSHES out at 19 years old, move on to the NBA where they play against not only 27-40 year olds, but, some of the most talented & physically fit 27-40 year olds on the planet. He can’t have it both ways. Like @kennyskywalker34 said, he’s just planting the seeds for his excuses when his FR, once again, don’t get the job done.

“Having kids still playing our game that are 25, 26 and 27 years old, where they would be professionals under any other circumstances is tough,” Calipari told FOX Sports.
“If you graduate, and you want to transfer, that’s fine. But for the kids in their seventh year of school now, come on,” Calipari continued. “It’s not healthy for an 18- or 19-year-old to be playing against somebody that old.”

As the parent of a freshman playing small college baseball the COVID additional years are bullshit. I get 1 year but 2 years because scouts couldn’t attend in person is ridiculous.

BUT

If Calipari is accurately quoted and in context, this is so freaking hypocritical it is unreal. This guy has created a culture from day 1 where 19 year olds that are not ready are leaving to play professionally against grown men. Some would argue Cal encourages players to leave either through his recruiting over players or leave when they may get drafted in the 1st round regardless of the impact to the athletes second NBA contract. So why is that ok?

Now that others are taking advantage of something (as he did being the early champion of 1 and done) like the transfer portal that he is not, he sounds completely ridiculous.

Pretty rich from a guy that had Oscar on the floor last year and maybe this year too. We had at least three guys that were plenty old for cbb.

I wonder if cal is ever aware how often he talks out of both sides of his mouth
He’s become a giant excuse making loser. And what’s sad is he wasn’t always like that.

Dude is broken. Let’s just get through this year, cross our fingers something good happens, and move the hell on.

As the parent of a freshman playing small college baseball the COVID additional years are bullshit. I get 1 year but 2 years because scouts couldn’t attend in person is ridiculous.

BUT

If Calipari is accurately quoted and in context, this is so freaking hypocritical it is unreal. This guy has created a culture from day 1 where 19 year olds that are not ready are leaving to play professionally against grown men. Some would argue Cal encourages players to leave either through his recruiting over players or leave when they may get drafted in the 1st round regardless of the impact to the athletes second NBA contract. So why is that ok?

Now that others are taking advantage of something (as he did being the early champion of 1 and done) like the transfer portal that he is not, he sounds completely ridiculous.

This times 100. Cal continually pushes 18-19 year old kids out the door and brags about it being the greatest day in Kentucky history. Every year back in the good days our players left to make millions and play against grown men in the NBA and it was a success according to him.

This is truly pathetic. How anyone supports this man is beyond me.

I have no comment other than it is weird there are no age restrictions in college sports. We've had several guys join the military and then not even start college until their mid 20s and play college football. I feel like if you're gonna let 17/18 year olds play then it feels weird you allow full grown men to compete too as long as they haven't exhausted there eligibility.

Pretty rich from a guy that had Oscar on the floor last year and maybe this year too. We had at least three guys that were plenty old for cbb.

I wonder if cal is ever aware how often he talks out of both sides of his mouth

Honestly, he’s probably talking about Oscar. Wishing he would move on and stop throwing a monkey wrench into Cal’s plans.

“Because a lot of guys have stayed around in college for fifth and sixth years, that’s also part of the reason why we have a lot of transfers… Some schools are not recruiting freshmen, but only transfers.”

One of the hallmarks of Calipari’s tenure at Kentucky has been his ability to recruit top talent. He’s not afraid to get “one-and-done” guys and replace them the following season.

Kentucky won the National Championship in 2012. Of the team’s five starters, none were upperclassmen. Two freshmen — Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist — were selected #1 and #2 overall in the 2012 NBA Draft. Four starters were first-round draft picks.

In 2014, Kentucky reached the National Championship game but lost to UConn. Four of the team’s five starters were freshmen.

The team reached the Final Four unbeaten (38-0) in 2015 but were shocked by the Wisconsin Badgers in the national semfinal. That team, again, was led by five first-round draft picks, including three freshmen (Karl-Anthony Towns, Devin Booker and Trey Lyles).

That year proved to be a sign of things to come. Wisconsin was led by upperclassmen.
It seems that Calipari doesn’t like the direction of college basketball because it’s hurting his style. His freshman stars could more easily compete against younger upperclassmen.

Calipari mentioned that some teams aren’t recruiting freshman, and he seems irked by that idea. But if players in the transfer portal can help him win, then he needs to use that to his advantage.

It appears he’s trying, too. He recently met with Michigan star Hunter Dickinson. However, he lost out to Kansas.

It sounds like he’s upset that he doesn’t have the same magic with transfers as he does with high school students.

But being an elite coach means adapting to a changing landscape. t

I have a question for him, guess how old those one and done kids are going to the NBA to play against guys in their 30's, is that healthy.

The funny part is that he admits the older players are what is winning now but in a recent interview said the 5 freshmen are key to UK becoming the gold standard again.
At least he admitted it on the record….I don’t want him fired but I do want him to adapt and he won’t admit how much outside shooting has grown in importance in the last 10 years or admit his offensive schemes are antiquated.

I don’t disagree that it’s kind of ridiculous we got guys going into their 7th year of playing college hoops. But it’s kind of funny that the guy who is all about players first is upset by it. Wonder what his tune would’ve been had he landed Dickinson.

Wtf is he talking about? It’s true that 18 year olds are at a disadvantage against more physically mature, older players. But, his prized one & done divas, that he PUSHES out at 19 years old, move on to the NBA where they play against not only 27-40 year olds, but, some of the most talented & physically fit 27-40 year olds on the planet. He can’t have it both ways. Like @kennyskywalker34 said, he’s just planting the seeds for his excuses when his FR, once again, don’t get the job done.
^^^THIS^^^

I can understand where he's coming from. College had always been a prep for life, not a destination.

Agree with him about the stupidity of granting extra years for Covid-and these old guys we're supposed to celebrate when really it's just pathetic they are still in CBB at those ages. Then you have guys setting conference/NCAA records and we're supposed to be impressed by someone playing 5 1/2 to 6 years?

Now the part I also take issue with-nobody says you can't have older guys, so if you don't think it's "fair" or like it--go get more guys who are the same age. I prefer they don't-but I also don't care or see it as a disadvantage. To me a talented 20 year old is better than a veteran who is 25 who is just old.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Agree with him about the stupidity of granting extra years for Covid-and these old guys we're supposed to celebrate when really it's just pathetic they are still in CBB at those ages. Then you have guys setting conference/NCAA records and we're supposed to be impressed by someone playing 5 1/2 to 6 years?

Now the part I also take issue with-nobody says you can't have older guys, so if you don't think it's "fair" or like it--go get more guys who are the same age. I prefer they don't-but I also don't care or see it as a disadvantage. To me a talented 20 year old is better than a veteran who is 25 who is just old.
I have to disagree with you here.College and NBA are totally different things.They may in several years be stars in the NBA but how does that help the college team?

But being an elite coach means adapting to a changing landscape.

Calipari continued. “It’s not healthy for an 18- or 19-year-old to be playing against somebody that old.”

Who does Cal think his OAD players headed to the draft are going to be playing against? His argument sounds more like whining than rational thought.

I have to disagree with you here.College and NBA are totally different things.They may in several years be stars in the NBA but how does that help the college team?
I'd rather have a talented player, not an old guy who is just hanging around forever. Who gives a **** how old you are if you can't play? Now the issue would be if talented 25 yr olds were hanging around CBB which for the most part they aren't--because if you can play, you will be out of CBB and playing professionally somewhere.

Which is why I don't see the point of complaining about it. If you choose to operate in a manner, that's on the coach. Personally I don't care but I do despise the old guys hanging around for some made up BS like Covid. They played the entire regular season and 75% of the athletes played their Conference Tournament as well. This only effected power conference teams and those who qualified for the NCAA Tournament. If you wanted to do a mock selection that year....and grant the schools you'd have selected a waiver for 1 yr--fine-but this is become a joke with people lingering around far too long and taking up scholarship space.

I'd rather have DJ Wagner than 5/6 years of Sahvir Wheeler. Just my opinion.

What is rather interesting in this debate though--how Cal feels about Tshiebwe because he's in that age group Cal isn't happy with and thinks should be moving onto Pro ball. Just saying....if it's a problem, then stick to your guns or STFU about it.

I'd rather have a talented player, not an old guy who is just hanging around forever. Who gives a **** how old you are if you can't play? Now the issue would be if talented 25 yr olds were hanging around CBB which for the most part they aren't--because if you can play, you will be out of CBB and playing professionally somewhere.

Which is why I don't see the point of complaining about it. If you choose to operate in a manner, that's on the coach. Personally I don't care but I do despise the old guys hanging around for some made up BS like Covid. They played the entire regular season and 75% of the athletes played their Conference Tournament as well. This only effected power conference teams and those who qualified for the NCAA Tournament. If you wanted to do a mock selection that year....and grant the schools you'd have selected a waiver for 1 yr--fine-but this is become a joke with people lingering around far too long and taking up scholarship space.

I'd rather have DJ Wagner than 5/6 years of Sahvir Wheeler. Just my opinion.

What is rather interesting in this debate though--how Cal feels about Tshiebwe because he's in that age group Cal isn't happy with and thinks should be moving onto Pro ball. Just saying....if it's a problem, then stick to your guns or STFU about it.
For me personally I would take a guy like Max Abmas or Dingle over Dillingham because IMO they will give you more in one season than Dillingham will.I don't give a shit who does what in the NBA.I just care about UK.

He's pissed that so many transfers won't come here because he made promises to his freshmen to get them to come here.He went to the media saying Bradshaw is the starting 4 so why should a talented 4 transfer come here if he won't get a fair shot.
Bradshaw is supposed to be very talented. He is supposed to be better with more upside than any available 4 in the portal. Why don't we wait until we see him play before we start this negativity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT