ADVERTISEMENT

Cal upset that older players are dominating CBB

Excuses,excuses.The so called one and done freshmen he recruits are NBA ready and will be going up against older players when they bolt so what the hell is the idiot talking about.Hes just getting his ready made excuse machine amped up because the man hasn't got a damn clue how to coach in today's college basketball.What a freaking joke,I mean it's pathetic that UK has to put up with this idiot.Barnfart should be fired immediately for giving that stupid contract to this excuse maker.

“Having kids still playing our game that are 25, 26 and 27 years old, where they would be professionals under any other circumstances is tough,” Calipari told FOX Sports.
“If you graduate, and you want to transfer, that’s fine. But for the kids in their seventh year of school now, come on,” Calipari continued. “It’s not healthy for an 18- or 19-year-old to be playing against somebody that old.”
“Because a lot of guys have stayed around in college for fifth and sixth years, that’s also part of the reason why we have a lot of transfers… Some schools are not recruiting freshmen, but only transfers.”

John Calipari’s recruiting strategy at Kentucky needs an update​

One of the hallmarks of Calipari’s tenure at Kentucky has been his ability to recruit top talent. He’s not afraid to get “one-and-done” guys and replace them the following season.

Kentucky won the National Championship in 2012. Of the team’s five starters, none were upperclassmen. Two freshmen — Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist — were selected #1 and #2 overall in the 2012 NBA Draft. Four starters were first-round draft picks.

In 2014, Kentucky reached the National Championship game but lost to UConn. Four of the team’s five starters were freshmen.

The team reached the Final Four unbeaten (38-0) in 2015 but were shocked by the Wisconsin Badgers in the national semfinal. That team, again, was led by five first-round draft picks, including three freshmen (Karl-Anthony Towns, Devin Booker and Trey Lyles).

That year proved to be a sign of things to come. Wisconsin was led by upperclassmen.
It seems that Calipari doesn’t like the direction of college basketball because it’s hurting his style. His freshman stars could more easily compete against younger upperclassmen.

But they’re being out-experienced by the older crop of players.

Calipari mentioned that some teams aren’t recruiting freshman, and he seems irked by that idea. But if players in the transfer portal can help him win, then he needs to use that to his advantage.

It appears he’s trying, too. He recently met with Michigan star Hunter Dickinson. However, he lost out to Kansas.

It sounds like he’s upset that he doesn’t have the same magic with transfers as he does with high school students.

But being an elite coach means adapting to a changing landscape.

So far, Calipari has struggled with that part.
I hope O and Reeves don’t see this

“Having kids still playing our game that are 25, 26 and 27 years old, where they would be professionals under any other circumstances is tough,” Calipari told FOX Sports.
“If you graduate, and you want to transfer, that’s fine. But for the kids in their seventh year of school now, come on,” Calipari continued. “It’s not healthy for an 18- or 19-year-old to be playing against somebody that old.”
“Because a lot of guys have stayed around in college for fifth and sixth years, that’s also part of the reason why we have a lot of transfers… Some schools are not recruiting freshmen, but only transfers.”

One of the hallmarks of Calipari’s tenure at Kentucky has been his ability to recruit top talent. He’s not afraid to get “one-and-done” guys and replace them the following season.

Kentucky won the National Championship in 2012. Of the team’s five starters, none were upperclassmen. Two freshmen — Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist — were selected #1 and #2 overall in the 2012 NBA Draft. Four starters were first-round draft picks.

In 2014, Kentucky reached the National Championship game but lost to UConn. Four of the team’s five starters were freshmen.

The team reached the Final Four unbeaten (38-0) in 2015 but were shocked by the Wisconsin Badgers in the national semfinal. That team, again, was led by five first-round draft picks, including three freshmen (Karl-Anthony Towns, Devin Booker and Trey Lyles).

That year proved to be a sign of things to come. Wisconsin was led by upperclassmen.
It seems that Calipari doesn’t like the direction of college basketball because it’s hurting his style. His freshman stars could more easily compete against younger upperclassmen.

Calipari mentioned that some teams aren’t recruiting freshman, and he seems irked by that idea. But if players in the transfer portal can help him win, then he needs to use that to his advantage.

It appears he’s trying, too. He recently met with Michigan star Hunter Dickinson. However, he lost out to Kansas.

It sounds like he’s upset that he doesn’t have the same magic with transfers as he does with high school students.

It’s too late for an update. Cal keeps being cal expecting different results

Well I guess $10 million per year and a lifetime contract is not enough to adapt to the real world. More excuses for poor performance going forward. I guess Cal just forgot about his bold statement about the "no excuse program."

I don't disagree with the sentiment here.. but comparing 22/23 year old Oscar, to some guys who are 25, 26 and 27.. is kind of silly. These other guys are just trying to extend their time playing at a level they can dominate. Oscar had to basically re-do his entire playing career when he was 21 to come play at Kentucky. It's not like he was some stud for several years.

I don't disagree with the sentiment here.. but comparing 22/23 year old Oscar, to some guys who are 25, 26 and 27.. is kind of silly. These other guys are just trying to extend their time playing at a level they can dominate. Oscar had to basically re-do his entire playing career when he was 21 to come play at Kentucky. It's not like he was some stud for several years.
According to ralphdalton fan Oscar is about that age,lol.

Cal is the perfect player's coach who approaches rules on how they will positively affect the student athlete. Teenagers playing against grown men is not advantagous to the sport.

Pretty rich from a guy that had Oscar on the floor last year and maybe this year too. We had at least three guys that were plenty old for cbb.

I wonder if cal is ever aware how often he talks out of both sides of his mouth
Oscar is at least 28 himself. That makes the average age of our team a bit higher.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Oscar’s supporting cast’s fault. Damn near every single player was absolutely terrible in the tournament, outside of Oscar.
I’m going to challenge this a little bit. Oscar’s limitations when it comes to passing don’t really contribute to winning basketball as a team sport. Just putting aside his one obvious strength of rebounding and putbacks around the rim, he does little else to contribute to winning. Can’t even use the old great teammate line with him.

I’m going to challenge this a little bit. Oscar’s limitations when it comes to passing don’t really contribute to winning basketball as a team sport. Just putting aside his one obvious strength of rebounding and putbacks around the rim, he does little else to contribute to winning. Can’t even use the old great teammate line with him.
You need to go back and re-watch where he literally carried the team to wins. Other teams have to specifically come up with a game plan to prevent him from dominating.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
I don't disagree that older guys who know the college game & have a mans body is putting a wrench into College Basketball right now. It's why I think until the extra year they got from Covid goes away you will see the non-blue bloods excelling in the tournament.

However Cal is not the right person to say this. As many have stated it comes off as excuses and lots want him gone anyways.

You need to go back and re-watch where he literally carried the team to wins. Other teams have to specifically come up with a game plan to prevent him from dominating.
All you have to do to beat UK with Oscar is:

(a) force him into pick-and-roll situations
(b) sag off him to defend the 3

That's exactly what happened when it mattered.

All you have to do to beat UK with Oscar is:

(a) force him into pick-and-roll situations
(b) sag off him to defend the 3

That's exactly what happened when it mattered.
Plus Oscar dominating won’t win in the post season. Those were the games that mattered the most.

I’ll give him that covid screwed with college hoops. Never have so many players stayed 5-6 years. IMHO shutting down the season was stupid and short sighted when other sports figured out how to play during the lockdown. But c’mon Cal! Part of your job is adapting to the times!!!

Pretty sure he and CJ are both 23. Reeves is probably right there too.
Reeves is still hitting up the college girls

halloween mind blown GIF by bjorn

I’m certain that the points and boards he had in those games bigly offset a few turnovers or his lack of passing.

Well I guess $10 million per year and a lifetime contract is not enough to adapt to the real world. More excuses for poor performance going forward. I guess Cal just forgot about his bold statement about the "no excuse program."
Cal should probably turn his attention to "no excuse coaching". If a coach can't win with a program like UK ... he can't coach. That's a simple truth.

For me personally I would take a guy like Max Abmas or Dingle over Dillingham because IMO they will give you more in one season than Dillingham will.I don't give a shit who does what in the NBA.I just care about UK.
You named a good college player. I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about the quitting fat kid who wasted time at Kentucky for 2 years. I'll take a player like Robert Dillingham over Sahvir Wheeler 100% of the time.

I don't give a shit about bloated hobbits who quit on their team. They contacted Jordan Dingle. that's all they can do as a staff.

Goodness he sounds like such a weak bitch... Sad.

Remember when he loved beating his chest about being scared of no one blah blah blah.

SO sick of this washed up douchebag.

Reactions: Pygmy Sasquatch
I agree it's ridiculous 27 and still playing college basketball.
But he is also getting his excuses ready for when the overrated 5 stars lose 10 plus games again.
I told anyone that will listen these 18 year Olds will not fare well against good teams with 22 23 year Olds. Men against boys.
False, these “boys” are the best of the best coming out of HS and will present plenty of probs for the Grandpas that are still in college because they are not good enough to sniff pro ball.

You named a good college player. I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about the quitting fat kid who wasted time at Kentucky for 2 years. I'll take a player like Robert Dillingham over Sahvir Wheeler 100% of the time.

I don't give a shit about bloated hobbits who quit on their team. They contacted Jordan Dingle. that's all they can do as a staff.
A good smart coach could build a contender every year using the portal and NIL. “Good college players “ Of course he would have to be capable of building a team and evaluating talent.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
A good smart coach could build a contender every year using the portal and NIL. “Good college players “ Of course he would have to be capable of building a team and evaluating talent.
Really? So every NBA team is a champion every year? Oh wait. NILand the portal apply to every coach. So I guess every year there is only one good smart coach.

Actually, it’s going to come down to which fan base has the deepest pockets. Clearly Kansas put us to shame in the latest bidding war. Who’s fault is that?

Reactions: jauk11
And we just had one of our oldest teams we’ve ever had under him. This guy has become a LOSER.
Unlike a lot of the posters on here I don't think TWO of his best veteran shooters having unbelievably bad shooting nights last year was his fault. And I won't blame him too much for not getting a generational recruit this year, it doesn't seem like there were any this year, although one might step up. He recruited the best available,

And a ray of hope might be that we can pay the players legally like some other programs have been doing illegally for years, maybe some of them staying around another year might be a possibility. I played in organized city leagues, flag football mainly, into my forties for the fun of it, maybe some of them might stick around for an extra year, it doesn't seem to me like that would be a huge sacrifice with the money they can make legally in college today.

Last edited:
Really? So every NBA team is a champion every year? Oh wait. NILand the portal apply to every coach. So I guess every year there is only one good smart coach.

Actually, it’s going to come down to which fan base has the deepest pockets. Clearly Kansas put us to shame in the latest bidding war. Who’s fault is that?
Excellent post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT