ADVERTISEMENT

Cal squanderd all that talent and now Reeds 1 year at UK

Not complaining about Reed.

Complaining about Cal.
Getting off this subject, I would like to ask your opinion on a matter.
I am 72 years old and I never started getting serious about Kentucky basketball till the 66 championship game. We've had Rupp, Hall, Sutton, Pitino, BCG, Calapari and Pope.
In my years I have never seen a coach at UK that had the ability to put together a team like Pitino. Not here to talk about his moral failures, but him as coach.
When he left at the end of 97 I thought we are witnessing the departure of one of the greatest basketball minds ever .
Except for Cal's decent run and Tubby's c'ship with leftover's from the 97 runner up team, we've witnessed nothing comparable to the Pitino era.
In my mind I hoped we would bring him back, but in my heart I know how hard it is to catch lightning in a bottle.
Your thoughts? both now and then?

I am 72 years old and I never started getting serious about Kentucky basketball till the 66 championship game. We've had Rupp, Hall, Sutton, Pitino, BCG, Calapari and Pope.
In my years I have never seen a coach at UK that had the ability to put together a team like Pitino. Not here to talk about his moral failures, but him as coach.
When he left at the end of 97 I thought we are witnessing the departure of one of the greatest basketball minds ever .
Except for Cal's decent run and Tubby's c'ship with leftover's from the 97 runner up team, we've witnessed nothing comparable to the Pitino era.
In my mind I hoped we would bring him back, but in my heart I know how hard it is to catch lightning in a bottle.
I agree on how great he was. I didn't see Rupp. I do think Hall had a run with Givens almost as good as Pitino and Cal. I don't think bringing him back was going to happen.

I agree on how great he was. I didn't see Rupp. I do think Hall had a run with Givens almost as good as Pitino and Cal. I don't think bringing him back was going to happen.
Hall was better than he got credit for.
3 final fours, National And NIT champs.. Not bad for 13 years.
Tubby could coach, but didn't like the politics of recruiting.
BCG was downright weird. I felt like we were in the Twilight Zone.
Cal started out to be humbled and honored to be here.
His true demise? We can only speculate.
I hope Pope does well.
The odds say no, but time will tell.
I hope his transparency is real.
God bless you Nailman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT