ADVERTISEMENT

Cal or Tubby for this year's team?

Apr 7, 2019
As the team is currently constructed for this season, would you rather have Tubby or Cal coaching this year's squad? I was just wondering what you all might think about that.

I personally think Tubby would be a better coach for this team due to having a legit big man and athletic wings that can guard the 3 better in the ball line defense. The offense might not be pretty but this squad would probably be special defensively if they had a coach that knows how to coach it. Tubby would dream of having this type of squad while at UK.

As the team is currently constructed for this season, would you rather have Tubby or Cal coaching this year's squad? I was just wondering what you all might think about that.

I personally think Tubby would be a better coach for this team due to having a legit big man and athletic wings that can guard the 3 better in the ball line defense. The offense might not be pretty but this squad would probably be special defensively if they had a coach that knows how to coach it. Tubby would dream of having this type of squad while at UK.
Tubby all day, if you gave Tubby
the teams Cal recruited since he was here he would have easily won 3 titles. This team would be a very good Tubby team because he would work to get CJ and Reeves easy looks and not to mention having a legit low post scorer.

Last edited:
Tubby, Tubby, Tubby:

Tubby could win the SEC and make a EE run (at a minimum) with the 2022 team IMO.

Comparing to a team of EE-quality talent: Tubby's Chuck Hayes 2004 EE team would whip Cal's 2022 team by 15+ points holding them to around 50 points on their best day. The interior passing of that team would result in so many layups and short jumpers, Hayes/Rondo and company would probably shoot a blistering percentage from the field. I don't even want to think of what 2004 Rondo would do to this year's guards.

Give Cal Tubby's 2004 players: Not a level of overwhelming talent sufficient to give Callipari enough of an advantage to counter his laissez faire coaching methodology. Dribble drive would be somewhat effective with Rondo at the point, but otherwise, the team would underperform in a "my guys will out-talent your guys" environment. Less player development in a team construct under Cal with the 2004 team I think. By comparison, Tubby had them at a Swiss watch level of efficiency and execution by the end of the 04-05 season.

Give Tubby Cal's 2022 players: Under Tubby, we would have better D no doubt. We would have more pick & roll....screen & shoot basketball....more open shots for shooters. Better swing-passing, interior passing, and crashing the boards under Tubby I think. Oscar would still dominate down low. Wheeler would break press, distribute the ball, and play harassing defense under Tubby and that is all. His shots would be minimized.
  • Tubby's problem was not a question of "what to do with the talent"....it was "getting the talent" in his waning years that was his big issue.
Tubby would make this team a fundamentally sound....very tough out by the end of the season.

GBB!

Lord help us. The Cats have really fallen to the bottom if fans want him anywhere near our program.

The man has been fired at how many jobs since he left UK in the middle of the night? Tubby? Just throw the program in the gutter and be done with it.

I wouldn't want Tubby to coach a grade school team unless it was a Louisville team. Worst coach to ever set foot on the UK campus. And that includes visiting coaches.

Tubby would win more games. It would be boring but he would win more

Tubby held his own in recruiting until Rashaad Carruth burned him then after that, he quit recruiting those guys which in turn, hurt the talent level. But I would take him all day as far as x's and o's and he would have had that team prepared against Gonzaga, I Can guarantee you that!

Reactions: ArcadiaFan
Tubby would have Ugonna and Thiero coming off the bench for instant energy the same way he used freshmen Fitch and Daniels when his starters weren't performing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT