ADVERTISEMENT

Cal needs a top skilled center and forward

uk78

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Cal is Cal and to be successful he has to do what has worked for him. When was our teams the best? Cousins, Davis, and KAT. We did great on offense this season until the NCAA because we ran a more modern offense of guard 3 point shots as the weapon of choice. So, what did Cal do instead? He reverted to get the ball to the post inserting Mitchell as the starter and dribble drive for paint touches and shots. Disaster. Many blame Reed for his bad game but you can't convince me he wasn't instructed to get the ball passed to the interior which ended his normal game. This would have been fine if we had any of the 3 centers above, but we didn't. Plus, of course defensively our team was bad.

If Z stays perhaps with a lot of work he can fill the role. The two incoming Freshman...no way. One is already defined as a project and the other will be awfully young. But, Cal no matter what should do what fits for him (even though I think he is a lousy coach). But, you don't have a team play one way all season and then change it to your comfort zone. Then play your comfort zone all season and build upon that. Unless I see a portal transfer top notch center on both ends of the court, I just don't see any success next season. Cal as almost every agrees is stubborn and so get the personnel that fits with your style then.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Cal is Cal and to be successful he has to do what has worked for him. When was our teams the best? Cousins, Davis, and KAT. We did great on offense this season until the NCAA because we ran a more modern offense of guard 3 point shots as the weapon of choice. So, what did Cal do instead? He reverted to get the ball to the post inserting Mitchell as the starter and dribble drive for paint touches and shots. Disaster. Many blame Reed for his bad game but you can't convince me he wasn't instructed to get the ball passed to the interior which ended his normal game. This would have been fine if we had any of the 3 centers above, but we didn't. Plus, of course defensively our team was bad.

If Z stays perhaps with a lot of work he can fill the role. The two incoming Freshman...no way. One is already defined as a project and the other will be awfully young. But, Cal no matter what should do what fits for him (even though I think he is a lousy coach). But, you don't have a team play one way all season and then change it to your comfort zone. Then play your comfort zone all season and build upon that. Unless I see a portal transfer top notch center on both ends of the court, I just don't see any success next season. Cal as almost every agrees is stubborn and so get the personnel that fits with your style then.
Somto fits the mold of the type of centers Cal can have success with. He isn't a shooter or highly skilled offensive guy. But he is a physical beast who loves to dunk everything and on anyone. He is pretty solid defensively and has good shot blocking skills. He playes above the rim and can feast off lobs and putbacks. We generally do well at teaching our bigs some hook-shots and stuff too. Jayden can also play center, and he has a high upside. He just needs a more consistent motor. I suspect one of the current 3 centers will return as well. So we should have more than enough at the 5.

Adou will play at the 4. But Jayden will also play some 4. We could return Burks to split some time there as well. Burks needs to bulk up, but all of these guys are pretty tough. Adou and Jayden are pretty physically imposing, and Burks plays hard and can develop more strength and toughness.

I also like how solid Knox and Richmond are already. Both have very solid foundations that should prevent them from getting pushed around a lot. Obviously they both need to develop as shooters, but I like what they bring.

Our backcourt is where we need to get some stronger dudes. Reed, DJ, Perry and Fland are all skinny guys without much muscle/strength. They will get abused again unless they spend the offseason bulking up.

Reactions: vernoncoy
The Oakland coach is either a genius or lucky that Cal is stubborn. I honestly believe Cal was trying to prove the Oakland coach wrong by pounding the ball inside to the bigs to prove we did have great big guys. I also believe the first half our guys were instructed to not take 3's and get the ball to Trey and our 7 footers.

I don’t disagree w adding a skilled center.

I also want a willing and able perimeter defender from the portal to hound an opposing guard who would otherwise shoot us out of a game like has happened in our two most recent NCAA tourney losses.

Really hoping one of these incoming centers can just be the big bodies we need. Rebound, don't let guys drive right by, etc. Don't even care if they can score or block shots.

Agree with OP. Get the center and a 6’8-6’9 pf like Mashburn who could shoot but also go down low and bang. Miss St, A&M, Missouri and I could go on, all have big front line guys that can score. Now our offense still needs more restructuring to eliminate the standing around and waiting for someone to beat their man off the dribble. Get these bigs out of the portal so Somto and JQ aren’t thrown into the fire from the beginning.

We probably set the record this past season with big men missing games. Greatly hurt our defense especially since they were mostly inexperienced.

Agree with OP. Get the center and a 6’8-6’9 pf like Mashburn who could shoot but also go down low and bang. Miss St, A&M, Missouri and I could go on, all have big front line guys that can score. Now our offense still needs more restructuring to eliminate the standing around and waiting for someone to beat their man off the dribble. Get these bigs out of the portal so Somto and JQ aren’t thrown into the fire from the beginning.
Those 6’9” big bodied forwards like Mash, that can put the ball on the deck, shoot and be physical are easy to find too.

Better hurry though, LeBron is getting old.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Those 6’9” big bodied forwards like Mash, that can put the ball on the deck, shoot and be physical are easy to find too.

Better hurry though, LeBron is getting old.
Why would you make a dumb reply like that? I didn’t say they had to be as good as Mash, just the same type of skills. And you don’t have a clue who is out there on other teams that might go into the portal. Other teams are getting these guys so why can’t we? Just don’t post if that criticism is as good as you can do. What are you,12?

Uhhhhh really? What Cal needs is an ego check, a tutorial on how to coach, and to stop caring about “bettering kids’ families”.

If the kid is good he and his family will get rich, if he sucks then he needs to go to work and get on the bench. Quit letting this be the reason we lose, moron.

Reactions: vernoncoy
Cal needs generational talent, not sure we got any in the pipeline. We might get to see one in Flagg to start the season :flush:

One of my friends (more like acquaintances) on the Auburn site said that their big guy is likely to return. Dude could easily portal here and be surrounded with much better talent. First team all SEC / third team All American (only behind Edey and Hunter Dickinson). Back channel an NIL offer and call it a day, because he’s not getting drafted

Why would you make a dumb reply like that? I didn’t say they had to be as good as Mash, just the same type of skills. And you don’t have a clue who is out there on other teams that might go into the portal. Other teams are getting these guys so why can’t we? Just don’t post if that criticism is as good as you can do. What are you,12?
I’m old. I’m really good at criticizing too when I need to be.

Reactions: acatnamedmyra
We need a brute who won't get pushed around. I'll take a rebounder over a shot blocker. Seems like other than Oscar, who couldn't defend the backdoor, we get beanpoles who get blocked out like a Buffalo got them.

Reactions: bigbluedon
I’ve said it for years. Yes, I prefer the up tempo, guard oriented basketball. But he always reverts and it isn’t his comfort zone.

If he’s going to be that person then recruit to that system. (Reality is that has been Cals biggest issue because he cares more about stockpiling 17 year olds that have draft potential instead of building a cohesive roster for his system. And most 17 year old big men are weak and not physical grown men yet. Guards can adapt easier bc it’s more finesse but bigs struggle unless they are Cousins, Orton, Randle, TJones, KAT, Zion type builds sand they don’t grow on trees yearly)

But if Cal wants to play bully ball then build the team from the inside out. Go all in on finding the most physical 5 you can in the portal, look for Thiero/Jones type 3s and 4s between underclass portal and recruits, and then get 2 highly skilled guards that can shoot but are athletic. (Fox/Monk/Murry/SGA/Reeves/Mitntz even etc) Bc if you’re going tk play w 3 6’7+ guys it’s critical that your guards can shoot. It’s also critical that at least your 3 but preferably your 3 and 5 can dribble as well as Randle and Jones. Dribble good enough to take their man of the bounce for 3-5 power dribbles to the rack w both hands. Your big physical 5 needs to have a legit post game and not think they are a 2 or point forward. Go find a Zach Edey and keep him in the program.

If you want to play bully ball around the rim then build a roster capable of it. I don’t like the style but it can still be effective w the type of physical athletes Cal use to get at Memphis when he’d only have 1 superstar one and done like Rose or Evans at guard..the rest of their team was grown men physical freaks. …that also makes the defense and rebounding better bc that’s all heart and physicality mixed w athleticism.

It stopped working here bc we started trying tk do it with soft finesse 4s and 5s like Brooks and Toppin and all or hs 5s are rails like Jackson (who was at least a shot blocker) and Bradshaw.

Issue is….thats not the nba game anymore so those 6’8 power forward type guys that anrent perimeter oriented aren’t guaranteed NBA statistics for Cal. Even tho Draymond Green and Julius Randle are great NBA players, they aren’t appreciated and are a dying breed.

Obsessing over individuals on the roster is a folly. The issue is that the coach has lost the ability to mold a team into a solid defensive unit.

We’ve had great defensive teams with skinny shot blockers. We’ve had great defensive teams with stouter centers. But in the last 5 years, Cal has been unable to form an elite defensive team no matter the makeup.

Just keep Z!!!

We need a brute who won't get pushed around. I'll take a rebounder over a shot blocker. Seems like other than Oscar, who couldn't defend the backdoor, we get beanpoles who get blocked out like a Buffalo got them.
Quaintance and Cyril are the opposite of bean poles.

Reactions: ftp000
No doubt Reed was instructed to get the ball inside. No doubt.
But Cal said on his show Monday the plan was to take 15 threes a half. Would he have just made that up knowing the team was possibly listening or at least would have been made aware. Can’t imagine that.

Cal needs to find himself a "clue" first.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
It’s a waste of time thinking what Cal needs. He needs an nba lockout so he can retain some real talent (not happening). Then he needs a roster full of future nba all stars (not happening). Then he needs a once in a generation rim protector that can erase all defensive breakdowns (not happening).
We as a fanbase are in a prison situation just doing time until a real coach that can build this program back is hired.

Reactions: ala_kat2
The Oakland coach is either a genius or lucky that Cal is stubborn. I honestly believe Cal was trying to prove the Oakland coach wrong by pounding the ball inside to the bigs to prove we did have great big guys. I also believe the first half our guys were instructed to not take 3's and get the ball to Trey and our 7 footers.
And to Wagner who played between the zone at the foul line. That didn’t work either.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
I would really like to have Z back with a year in the weight room. If he can put 15 to 20 pounds with his skill he would be the perfect center.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT