ADVERTISEMENT

Cal love on Facebook

ORCAT

All-American
Jan 7, 2003
Lexington, KY
I was on a UK site on Facebook and two guys were attacking me because I didn't agree with a post saying Cal was worth every penny he is paid and comparing him to a CEO of a major company. Also, they argued that winning Championships isn't a measure of anything because they are so hard to win plus Cal has done so much for the state of Kentucky with the tornadoes and flooding. One guy mentioned how Izzo has not won many Championships at MSU and fans there aren't calling to fire him.

I countered every argument they had to no avail and questioned them comparing MSU tradition to Kentucky's. Their answer was, "what tradition? It was started by Rupp winning titles and even he had point shaving scandals.". These guys were so out of touch with what's happened the past few seasons and just had total love of Cal.

I want Cal to win at UK because I love our university but to go on about what a savior he is for our program while pulling in more than $9 million a year was too much for me not to comment with them.

What are your thoughts about conversing with people like this when they are so ardent in their blind support of someone who is underachieving while getting paid so much. Their final take was that the coach of UK involves so much more than winning games and Championships and that Cal does so much for the players and state that he is actually underpaid for all he does. I'm not a total Cal hater like some on here but, as I told them, a company CEO with results like he has had the past few years would be fired. What do you all say?

I was on a UK site on Facebook and two guys were attacking me because I didn't agree with a post saying Cal was worth every penny he is paid and comparing him to a CEO of a major company. Also, they argued that winning Championships isn't a measure of anything because they are so hard to win plus Cal has done so much for the state of Kentucky with the tornadoes and flooding. One guy mentioned how Izzo has not won many Championships at MSU and fans there aren't calling to fire him.

I countered every argument they had to no avail and questioned them comparing MSU tradition to Kentucky's. Their answer was, "what tradition? It was started by Rupp winning titles and even he had point shaving scandals.". These guys were so out of touch with what's happened the past few seasons and just had total love of Cal.

I want Cal to win at UK because I love our university but to go on about what a savior he is for our program while pulling in more than $9 million a year was too much for me not to comment with them.

What are your thoughts about conversing with people like this when they are so ardent in their blind support of someone who is underachieving while getting paid so much. Their final take was that the coach of UK involves so much more than winning games and Championships and that Cal does so much for the players and state that he is actually underpaid for all he does. I'm not a total Cal hater like some on here but, as I told them, a company CEO with results like he has had the past few years would be fired. What do you all say?
I’d say , you can’t use logic in an argument with someone that didn’t use logic to form their opinion in the first place. It’s useless and a waste of time trying to reason with those type of people.

Cal has underperformed vs expectations for several years now. We’re currently in the longest streak in the history of Kentucky basketball without a 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. It’s really plain to see. Some people won’t see it, don’t waste your time with them.

Hoping for a run in the NCAA tournament here. Early exit this year … boy oh boy. Seat should be on fire.

This is the only platform where Cal is bashed daily. And to be honest, its a bit irrational how some are so obsessed with wanting him to leave......i mean, you cant bring anything else to the table but talk of him leaving?

We get it, youre not a fan. Reminds me of my whacked neighbor who's obsessed about Politics and just wants to bash a party.

Have you entertained the thought that the 1000’s of fans in Nashville, the rest of the real world and on Facebook are right and the small cluster of Cal haters gathered here might be wrong?

What do you have here, 100 or less regulars spewing hate? Maybe even less than 50? Just saying the same thing over and over.

Maybe expand your horizons.

Anyone that goes looking for an argument will find one.

There is an entire different level of cal slurpers on FB. Most are young. Similar to the kids that think lebron is the greatest. Then theres the older ones that have a blind infatuation with him but they really dont know much of anything about the game or the program in general.

I try to ignore them but thats easier said then done especially with the level of stupidity they can go to.

Sounds like you found a couple of real gems.

Have you entertained the thought that the 1000’s of fans in Nashville, the rest of the real world and on Facebook are right and the small cluster of Cal haters gathered here might be wrong?

What do you have here, 100 or less regulars spewing hate? Maybe even less than 50? Just saying the same thing over and over.

Why does Cal keep taking shots at the fanbase after wins if its only 50 little message board posters upset about his lackluster results?

This is the only platform where Cal is bashed daily. And to be honest, its a bit irrational how some are so obsessed with wanting him to leave......i mean, you cant bring anything else to the table but talk of him leaving?

We get it, youre not a fan. Reminds me of my whacked neighbor who's obsessed about Politics and just wants to bash a party.
Only platform he’s bashed on? Lol 😂 that’s hilarious.

If it's a UK page on facebook then it's probably someone's fan page for fans to gather and be positive. KSR has something similar I believe just so people can hang out somewhere without trolls or constant negativity. I remember joining some UK fan pages back in the MySpace days. Usually those types of pages aren't really hip to "let's gather and talk crap about our coach and say we're gonna lose in the second rd."

Personally, I'm just excited for these two tournaments coming up. The season's been a struggle but I'm looking forward to the next few weeks.

I work with guys that don’t do Facebook or message boards and they are harder on Cal than anyone here lol. Also have friends that stopped watching or caring about Kentucky Basketball. So to say it’s only on here is Not Accurate. I’m neutral on Cal. Just want him to win at a high level or leave

1000’s of fans are in Nashville to watch the cats play because they are fans of the cats, they aren’t there to watch cal coach. Actually the majority are probably hoping cal just don’t **** things up.

My only question is who do you get to replace Cal if he leaves? I don't see any good candidates out their this year. Maybe next year.

I tend to stay out of the FB groups of UK Fans, if you don't tow the company line and pump sunshine they'll pull your 'fan card' and their power tripping admins ban everyone.

Reactions: DSGTCAT28
I know several fans that are on FB who have essentially stopped watching and attending games. For many of them it's a cumulative thing. First it was OAD, then came the kneeling thing and scattered thruout the last 8 years is Calipari's awful offense, belittling of the fans and the subpar performance against our rivals and in post season tournaments.

I work with guys that don’t do Facebook or message boards and they are harder on Cal than anyone here lol. Also have friends that stopped watching or caring about Kentucky Basketball. So to say it’s only on here is Not Accurate. I’m neutral on Cal. Just want him to win at a high level or leave
Kind of how I'm with Cal. I don't hate him like others and pull for him to have success because that means UK would have success. I just got hung up with these guys who ignored all success for the program and just focused on him being underpaid, if anything. I just couldn't go along with that.

Unfortunately, it seems the fanbase is mostly polarized with little room for those of us in the middle. Don't hate Cal and don't think he knows nothing about coaching. Think the best thing for all would be for him to win another natty this year or next and retire.

I think on Facebook people have to be more civilized as most of the time FB has your real name and photo attached to the post.

I rarely comment on those posts but I keep it real when I do. I have noticed when I say I think it's time for calipari to retire or move on (not even saying fired but retire or resign), more people act insulted I suggest that.

I just think it's an 8 to 10 year job max and thus far no one that has stayed longer has won a 2nd title. I know that's just hall and cal but for whatever reason none of our coaches have been able to win a 2nd title.(post rupp)

I don't know about digital platforms, but this definitely isn't the only place UK fans are upset with what our program has become over the past several years. Outside of this message board, I don't know anyone personally who is super happy or optimistic about where the program currently stands.

I always find it amazing when someone fights tooth and nail over their lowered expectations. Expectations that have been lowered by Cal.

My only question is who do you get to replace Cal if he leaves? I don't see any good candidates out their this year. Maybe next year.
The first option may not end up being the answer. So, the questions is, are we willing to deal with possibly some instability for 2-3 years in the program before they find the right guy?

Just remember to never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

The first option may not end up being the answer. So, the questions is, are we willing to deal with possibly some instability for 2-3 years in the program before they find the right guy?
No more instability than we have right now, we never have a roster more than a year at a time anyway. A good coach will bring his players he wants and hit the portal and try to save commitments the best he can.

Kind of how I'm with Cal. I don't hate him like others and pull for him to have success because that means UK would have success. I just got hung up with these guys who ignored all success for the program and just focused on him being underpaid, if anything. I just couldn't go along with that.
I don’t hate him and I used to be 100% on the Cal train, but he does irritate me to no end with his refusal to change and his stupid sayings over and over that don’t addresses anything all year long.

Them trashing Rupp is a red flag that they were UL fans.

Shouldn't be necessary. Just go to Stevens and Vogel in that order. Should get one of them.

Ignore em bro, trust me. It's like a Democrat and Republican arguing. Just use Facebook for getting laid. It is astonishingly easy.
😂 😂 😂 I like it!! I agree!! Id say you better get you a facemask that cover everything but your eyes 👀 talking like that lol. Naw these ol chickenheads today don't care. They down with it. I sometimes wish it wasn't that easy. I like a little challenge.

He could do more by donating at least half of his salary to other worthy causes because he certainly isn't a worthy cause. He is about as unworthy of his salary as anyone could possibly be.

Ron White would remind you that "you can't fix stupid".

OMG, you mean not everybody thinks like you? The audacity of some people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT