ADVERTISEMENT

Cal leaving right now after the big names have already moved on

Bama can afford to outbid UK. Not sure how you all don't realize that. Not to mention an $18 million buyout just to be able to hire him.

It's always doable when it's someone else's money.
With what money bama is a football centric school. Kentucky can get oats, they are going to have to spend money to get a coach anyways

With what money bama is a football centric school. Kentucky can get oats, they are going to have to spend money to get a coach anyways
Umm, you realize Bama is one of the wealthiest atheltic programs in the country, right? Massive donor base. They also just saved a ton when Saban retired.

UK isn't getting Oats or Hurley or Wright. Drew and Donovan will be the first calls. Underwood and Pope would follow them.

• Haha
Reactions: BGWentworth
Bama can afford to outbid UK. Not sure how you all don't realize that. Not to mention an $18 million buyout just to be able to hire him.

Doesn't mean they will. Michigan can likely buyout whoever they really want too. Reality is different.

Umm, you realize Bama is one of the wealthiest atheltic programs in the country, right? Massive donor base. They also just saved a ton when Saban retired.

UK isn't getting Oats or Hurley or Wright. Drew and Donovan will be the first calls. Underwood and Pope would follow them.
Nate oats will be a candidate and it getting pushed by a lot of people

I don’t think you’re right. But if you are - if Kentucky can’t hire a basketball coach away from Alabama - then we all need to recalibrate our expectations for the future of this program.

Folks why isn't Pope a slam dunk? Sometimes you go with the right choice even if he's not the hottest BIG NAME out there? The man checks all the boxes at Kentucky. Mark Pope can coach. He would be sooo good at Kentucky it's scary IMO,
Mark Pope would get Mitch fired. Mitch has no choice but to follow Cal with a proven big name.

Reactions: newyorkmets
Brad Stevens
Jay Wright
Billy Donovan

In that order. Oats is a good coach but not Kentucky quality. We can do better and now we have a clean money slate

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA

Sorry. Your boy is gone. Go find another team to root for...like Arkansas

Its not about outbidding, all these schools can throw millions of dollars at coaches… what actually matters is prestige and one being a basketball school and one being a football school… if Oats wants to take the next step on the ladder UK would be the pinnacle of the place everyone dreams of coaching! So I say it’s possible he would come here even if they match, just like Cal with Memphis…

Not meaning to be rude here. I just feel Pope checks all the boxes and is a stellar coach. Wat you got against him?
He’s accomplished nothing and if he didn’t play at UK you would never consider him.

He’s on the list, probably about 20 spots down but he’s on it.

Mark Pope would get Mitch fired. Mitch has no choice but to follow Cal with a proven big name.
Makes sense. But sometimes you just make what you believe is the right hire. Pope seems to be the kind of guy who checks the boxes at Kentucky. I'll stop now. I'm not saying big names aren't great; I just think Pope is stellar.

You’ve been a member of this board since 2001 and this is your first post…that we should hire Mark Pope?
Probably another sock account for one of the usual suspects. It's amazing how many dormant accounts have suddenly been activated this season.

Makes sense. But sometimes you just make what you believe is the right hire. Pope seems to be the kind of guy who checks the boxes at Kentucky. I'll stop now. I'm not saying big names aren't great; I just think Pope is stellar.
I like Pope, but if we hire Pope it’s because our first 5-6 options said no

I don’t think you’re right. But if you are - if Kentucky can’t hire a basketball coach away from Alabama - then we all need to recalibrate our expectations for the future of this program.
Last time we took a coach from Alabama it did not work out well :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT