ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Just Can't Stop Talking Kentucky

LmdCat

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
In response to the Chandler Vessels article, Cal can't stop reflecting on his Kentucky days. He is now talking about Tyler Herro at Kentucky. He knows he wasted a golden opportunity with his extremely talented Sheppard and Dillingham team but he will never admit it. It seems like he is using Tyler Herro's success in the NBA to somehow remind people that Sheppard and Dillingham weren't his first big NBA draft surprises. However, it isn't the same because he wasn't playing much lesser players in front of Herro. Cal just needs to spend his time talking more about Arkansas and less about anything Kentucky. If Kentucky does well under Pope's leadership, he will want to take credit for the Pope hire. Lol

I don't think Cal wanted to leave. I think he felt it was best because he realized he could not keep the fanbase content and on some level he has the need for acceptance and perceived respect from it.
Arkansas is clearly a step down in the college basketball hierarchy and he hasn't yet become comfortable with his new situation. The Kentucky years were his best and he does and will miss it. He'll probably continue to publicly reflect on his time here.

Caliparis offensive schemes, spacing, and general coaching acumen allowed Tyler Herro to shoot a spectacular 10% from 3 in his last tournament game, matching other proven NBA scorers Jamal Murray and Devin Booker among others. I’m so thrilled that dipshit is gone. Half the NBA all star team and we haven’t even been a 1 seed in 10 years.

In response to the Chandler Vessels article, Cal can't stop reflecting on his Kentucky days. He is now talking about Tyler Herro at Kentucky. He knows he wasted a golden opportunity with his extremely talented Sheppard and Dillingham team but he will never admit it. It seems like he is using Tyler Herro's success in the NBA to somehow remind people that Sheppard and Dillingham weren't his first big NBA draft surprises. However, it isn't the same because he wasn't playing much lesser players in front of Herro. Cal just needs to spend his time talking more about Arkansas and less about anything Kentucky. If Kentucky does well under Pope's leadership, he will want to take credit for the Pope hire. Lol
Cal has an ego as big as Texas and can't stand to be second guessed.

Caliparis offensive schemes, spacing, and general coaching acumen allowed Tyler Herro to shoot a spectacular 10% from 3 in his last tournament game, matching other proven NBA scorers Jamal Murray and Devin Booker among others. I’m so thrilled that dipshit is gone. Half the NBA all star team and we haven’t even been a 1 seed in 10 years.
STOP IT! Lol

Of course he is. Calipari really is a narcissist. He was ran out of Kentucky and didn’t expect it. He thought he was using Arkansas to leverage his power and Barnhart used it to essentially fire him. Calipari never has his ass handed to him the last place that did that was Jersey it’s been a long time and he didn’t handle that well either. Notice the NBA never came after him with real offers. They’re a business and even at the height of his popularity they still were cautionary considering him. There are reasons for that.

Calipari is going to try and use the Kentucky players to recruit and use his time at Kentucky to sell. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Arkansas’s practice facilities littered with UK guys and accomplishments all over it. He’s going to want to take shots in these ways until he’s gone. And Arkansas is a desperate program so if they can pretend to be Kentucky they’re going to.

I don't think Cal wanted to leave. I think he felt it was best because he realized he could not keep the fanbase content and on some level he has the need for acceptance and perceived respect from it.
Arkansas is clearly a step down in the college basketball hierarchy and he hasn't yet become comfortable with his new situation. The Kentucky years were his best and he does and will miss it. He'll probably continue to publicly reflect on his time here.
I don’t think he wanted to leave either, but I think he breached his contract by talking to Arkansas without notifying Mitch and the UK athletic dept thus giving the university the option of voiding his contract. I think he was then sent packing. I’m not buying all of this “It was time for me to leave and someone else takeover” BS.

I don’t think he wanted to leave either, but I think he breached his contract by talking to Arkansas without notifying Mitch and the UK athletic dept thus giving the university the option of voiding his contract. I think he was then sent packing. I’m not buying all of this “It was time for me to leave and someone else takeover” BS.
I dislike Cal as much or more than most. I never liked the guy from day one, but I believe his success allowed him to get away with being so unlikeable. However, there is a part of me that can't help but feel a bit sorry for the guy because he is human beneath lots of layers. This is a man that realizes even more than we do that he has lost his superpower which is what has, is, or will happen to us all. Unfortunately for Cal, he is such a difficult person to like, that it makes it very difficult to have any sympathy for him.

Last edited:
He pretty much told us why he left. Putting Brad on staff.

I think it was definitely getting hot in the kitchen, but Brad is the primary reason. Mitch said no, and Arkansas said, "whatever you want". After that big meeting and hostage video, Cal knew he couldn't put Brad on staff, and so put feelers out.

He pretty much told us why he left. Putting Brad on staff.

I think it was definitely getting hot in the kitchen, but Brad is the primary reason. Mitch said no, and Arkansas said, "whatever you want". After that big meeting and hostage video, Cal knew he couldn't put Brad on staff, and so put feelers out.

Well that’s some of it but definitely not all. Kentucky made a very important leak because they wanted it known it was UK’s call not his. Calipari appears to have tried to back track and was willing to do what we asked after he realized we really were going to move on from him and there’s nothing he can do about it. Barnhart knew he had the support to make the move from the brass and fans who were all sick of him. Calipari probably didn’t realize how bad it really was and it’s at that point he agreed to make the changes. He was beat in his strong armed attempt. Barnhart said no we are going to use this to terminate the contract and allow you to move on without a firing. You can clearly see Calipari’s demeanor after this showed he didn’t want to do it, there are rumors that Ellen was in shock, and several analyst at the time were talking about how Calipari didn’t realize how bad it was. Even Arkansas fans and personnel have not argued or boasted that they took UK’s coach which they certainly would.

This is definitely not as simple as he wanted to hire Brad so he left on his own, I think he wanted Ohio State and maybe even USC but both said no because those are better landing spots to retire at vs. ark and although not as prestigious as UK, great universities who might let him hire Brad and would go further in keeping his legacy in tact. . He then tried to use Ark as leverage thinking we’d cave and when we didn’t he had no choice. Fayetteville Arkansas does not fit what Calipari is at all. And I know his age probably deflates this idea, but if I were Arkansas I’d be a little worried about him looking around. But yea this is also confirmed by some people who would know and it lines up with the evidence in time.

I dislike Cal as much or more than most. I never liked the guy from day one, but I believe his success allowed him to get away with being so unlikeable. However, there is a part of me that can't help but feel a bit sorry for the guy because he is a human being beneath lots of layers. This is a man that realizes even more than we do that he has lost his superpower which is what has, is, or will happen to us all. Unfortunately for Cal, he is such a difficult person to like, that it makes it very difficult to have any sympathy for him.
He did himself in. He decided he was bigger than UK basketball. The assignment of winning SEC and National championships was not his priority after 2012. His goal was to put guys into the NBA and address generational poverty. He is such a narcissist he thought he was above it all.

The day Mitch cut him lose almost match the pure joy and happiness I felt when I was 11 years old and walked into Memorial Coliseum for the first time, saw my heroes in those baggy white warmups doing those precision warm up drills and the band and student section yelled “Hello Adolph.”

I dislike Cal as much as the next guy but you can’t coach 15 years at a place and not reflect on your time there. Just like our fans can’t quit talking about him. It’s just how it is.

Nah that’s fair. And he’s certainly going to use it to recruit. Where our past sort of gets so irritating is we keep having former coaches end up at rivals (I call Arkansas a rival lightly) and our past players and accomplishments end up on the walls of these other programs. Pitino did it at Louisville (will never get over Louisville having guys like Delk and McCarty on their practice walls) and now Cal is certainly going to do it at Arkansas to recruit with and make us hate it. And if Arkansas can get some UK history to look synonymous with their light weight program they certainly will. We’re the only blue blood who seems to continuously mix with their rivals and I’m just sick of it. We just don’t seem to have good exit strategies to maintain correct ways around this kind of thing.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
He did himself in. He decided he was bigger than UK basketball. The assignment of winning SEC and National championships was not his priority after 2012. His goal was to put guys into the NBA and address generational poverty. He is such a narcissist he thought he was above it all.

The day Mitch cut him lose almost match the pure joy and happiness I felt when I was 11 years old and walked into Memorial Coliseum for the first time, saw my heroes in those baggy white warmups doing those precision warm up drills and the band and student section yelled “Hello Adolph.”
Before they gutted Memorial, I took my kids there just to stop by and walked around showing them and we sat in the wooden bleachers and talked about Adolph and the history. I read some comments from his biography and they asked questions it was really cool there was nobody in the gym. Very surreal moment just talking about all the people that had sat there in the 40’s and 50’s as UK basketball was forming. I told my sons right down there the greatest basketball mind ever roamed up and down that sideline. They’d look over like the just saw Jesus walk in water lol. We took a lot of pictures and it was just a great time.

It was literally A months later we drive past memorial and they were gutting it out. I had no idea it was about to happen. I’m so glad we went in that day and we’ve got the pictures and memories of that.

Is there really another Cal thread on Rafters about how obsessed Cal is with UK?

Animated GIF

Of course he is. Calipari really is a narcissist. He was ran out of Kentucky and didn’t expect it. He thought he was using Arkansas to leverage his power and Barnhart used it to essentially fire him. Calipari never has his ass handed to him the last place that did that was Jersey it’s been a long time and he didn’t handle that well either. Notice the NBA never came after him with real offers. They’re a business and even at the height of his popularity they still were cautionary considering him. There are reasons for that.

Calipari is going to try and use the Kentucky players to recruit and use his time at Kentucky to sell. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Arkansas’s practice facilities littered with UK guys and accomplishments all over it. He’s going to want to take shots in these ways until he’s gone. And Arkansas is a desperate program so if they can pretend to be Kentucky they’re going to.
May be wrong, but I think going to Cleveland to be Lebron’s lapdog in 2014 was a real offer. Think he turned it down for a shot at 40-0, contributing to his rift with Lebron and camp.

Then again, it could have gone the other way. Lebron might have turned him down.

This . But I dont think for more money it was a way for him to show the fans........ hey look other schools want me be grateful . It backfired an gave Mitch his foothold to get rid of him.. despite what that Aptil interview looked they couldn't stand each other . Mitch wanted his buddy Drew an thought it was in bag - had Mitch known Drew says no he likely let's Cal continue at UK.

DONT KNOW what Pope era be like but if he coaches half as good as he hustles it could be a case of getti g best guy by total accident

I dislike Cal as much as the next guy but you can’t coach 15 years at a place and not reflect on your time there. Just like our fans can’t quit talking about him. It’s just how it is.
This isn't about him just reflecting on the past. It is about him attempting to take credit for things that he deserves very little credit for. When he was here, he clearly expressed his disdain for Kentucky's fans. Now that he is gone, he should be using all of his energy talking about what great things he going to do at Arkansas. I don't recall him reminiscing so much about Memphis when he came to UK. He wanted out of Kentucky; he is out so he should keep all that is Kentucky out of his mouth.

I agree with you 100%

I think he got outsmarted by Arkansas' leak of the contact so that it would make staying at Kentucky highly unlikely.

• Haha
Reactions: BigBlueTrue75
I agree in the belief that he didn't want to leave. Deep down I have always thought Cal looked at Kentuckians as being less intelligent than him. I truly believe that he knew what he was doing (talking to Arkansas without notifying Mitch and UK), but didn't think we would figure it out (that it was a violation of his contract) and use it to get rid of him. I really do believe that he didn't think we would want him gone. That's the narcissistic ego right there.

I agree in the belief that he didn't want to leave. Deep down I have always thought Cal looked at Kentuckians as being less intelligent than him. I truly believe that he knew what he was doing (talking to Arkansas without notifying Mitch and UK), but didn't think we would figure it out (that it was a violation of his contract) and use it to get rid of him. I really do believe that he didn't think we would want him gone. That's the narcissistic ego right there.
Having lived in Kentucky, the deep south and the northeast I think it's a yankee thing to think they're smarter than us.

Having lived in Kentucky, the deep south and the northeast I think it's a yankee thing to think they're smarter than us.
Probably, but I watch people from NYC or Philly speak and act and find myself wondering if there is lead in their water supply.
I think it's less a northern / southern thing than a large urban area vs more rural area thing.

This isn't about him just reflecting on the past. It is about him attempting to take credit for things that he deserves very little credit for. When he was here, he clearly expressed his disdain for Kentucky's fans. Now that he is gone, he should be using all of his energy talking about what great things he going to do at Arkansas. I don't recall him reminiscing so much about Memphis when he came to UK. He wanted out of Kentucky; he is out so he should keep all that is Kentucky out of his mouth.

I’m not disagreeing, I’m just pointing out how things are and likely will be in the future.

Don’t take this wrong but it’s no different than Pope posting about Cal’s players and using the 2012 championship in any recruiting way, which he has.

Before this gets twisted in any way, I dislike Cal a whole lot and I’m really happy Pope is our coach!!!

Reactions: Ron Mehico
This is a discussion forum. It would be odd if we didn’t discuss our former HOF coach, who just left 2.5 months ago. If you’re here long enough, you’ll see we discuss pretty much every former coach, especially when there’s a reason.

You’d have to be a grade-A Cal brown moser to ignore this and yes they are in this thread, taking up for him.

With all that said, it’s actually odd how much Cal has been discussing UK relative to his new job. He clearly wanted out and had checked out long ago (as long as five years ago by his own admission). You’d think he’d be all in on his future at Arkansas, but I doubt he has much of one there. I’ve been saying from the jump he’s there two seasons or so. He’ll be a much ballyhooed flop but that won’t stop his loyalists on this board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT