ADVERTISEMENT

Cal is still KING!

These seem very appropriate right now

Mark Twain- "Never argue with stupid people, because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

Also Mark Twain - "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it an remove all doubt"
SO much truth to this. I need to quit arguing with these crazy negative irrational people who go nuts after every loss. Ever notice its the same group who cant sleep at night after a loss, just on here bashing all night.

Gives you an easy first 2 games, thats it. But you have to play the same top team in that region regardless. Its beneficial, but doesn't hold heavy weight. How many 1 seeds are left after the first weekend?
Seems like we could use an easy first 2 games, right? Haven't won 2 games in 4 years at this point. Hail to the KING! Lol

A few bad years means nothing. I recall Duke wanting Coach K to quit before he went on a run. UL wanted Pitino gone in 2010. UConn wanted Calhoun gone before he won another title.

And who do you want to replace Cal? Oates, a man who allows his murderous player to remain on the squad and has never been past an elite 8? Musselman? That douche who rips his shirt off in the 2nd round and who we beat on senior day? Painter, that just got creamed by some circus kids?

Anyone know another coach who's taken 3 different teams to the final four? Just Pitino. Pretty dumb to say he cant coach.

Hilarious this "Cal needs to adjust to the times" thoughts. Cats were great last year, just had a terrible loss to Saint Peters, just like Virginia, Duke, and Purdue (with a POY) has recently done. Cats sucked this year, but dont forget we were solid last year prior to that upset, and we were great during Covid year when it got canceled...Vegas had us 2nd favorite to win the title.

Bottom line-- Calipari spoiled you, because there wasn't this many upset people when we had worthless Tubby sitting on 1 final four and no hope. We've seen glory and dominance just a few years ago.

Cats have an incredible class coming in next year, that should quiet you bridge jumpers for at least a season.

Bring on the debbie downers..
Whole lot of dumb in this post...

The Nate Oates not getting past the E8 is the most overused meaningless thing said on here.

He’s been in 2 complete tournaments since being at a P5 program that wasn’t even a tournament team when he took them over. In that time they are now a consistent top 10 team. This is his 3rd tournament. So he hasn’t made an Elite 8 in 2 tries….oh the humanity
He had a good run at a small school too. I watch how they play, and it’s damn good basketball.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Not true. When Tubby made the tourney we knew we weren't getting out of the first weekend. With Cal, you and many other probably wont admit it, but we wouldn't be surprised if we made the Final Four ANY YEAR.
I was more than a bit surprised we beat providence...was sick when the brackets came out last week and I saw what a cakewalk gift we'd been given when we had no chance to take advantage of it.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
He had a good run at a small school too. I watch how they play, and it’s damn good basketball.
Exactly. Also of note is Quinerly tore his ACL in the first round of the NCAAT last season. That’s a death kneel for any team. Tennessee overcoming right now is an abnormality and will likely still bite them before it’s over.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I think UK will be great next year. Im very confident. Same question can be asked to you, are you going to go nuts after any loss like the rest of you for the last 10 years? Or finally realize every team loses games?
I don’t go nuts after any particular loss unless it’s warranted. Some times you just get outplayed and tip your cap to the competition and move on and prepare for the next game. Arkansas home game this year for example. Cal never adjusting his style of play (offensively or specifically defensively) is what most here are over and ready to move from. Roster management and treating our program like a minor league farm system while not winning is another big factor in people wanting cal gone. It is all about winning, and we aren’t.

Even last years successful season (as you called it) we were very sub par against top 25 competition going 3-6 and 1-2 in post season play. That is not KY standards or remotely close.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Exactly. Also of note is Quinerly tore his ACL in the first round of the NCAAT last season. That’s a death kneel for any team. Tennessee overcoming right now is an abnormality and will likely still bite them before it’s over.
Yeah Tennessee plays good enough D to win a couple games but that’s it.

Reactions: EliteBlue
A few bad years means nothing. I recall Duke wanting Coach K to quit before he went on a run. UL wanted Pitino gone in 2010. UConn wanted Calhoun gone before he won another title.

And who do you want to replace Cal? Oates, a man who allows his murderous player to remain on the squad and has never been past an elite 8? Musselman? That douche who rips his shirt off in the 2nd round and who we beat on senior day? Painter, that just got creamed by some circus kids?

Anyone know another coach who's taken 3 different teams to the final four? Just Pitino. Pretty dumb to say he cant coach.

Hilarious this "Cal needs to adjust to the times" thoughts. Cats were great last year, just had a terrible loss to Saint Peters, just like Virginia, Duke, and Purdue (with a POY) has recently done. Cats sucked this year, but dont forget we were solid last year prior to that upset, and we were great during Covid year when it got canceled...Vegas had us 2nd favorite to win the title.

Bottom line-- Calipari spoiled you, because there wasn't this many upset people when we had worthless Tubby sitting on 1 final four and no hope. We've seen glory and dominance just a few years ago.

Cats have an incredible class coming in next year, that should quiet you bridge jumpers for at least a season.

A few bad years is nothing to Skunk unless your name is Tubby Smith

Last edited:

So much to like in that post.

Here’s a list

• Haha
The Nate Oates not getting past the E8 is the most overused meaningless thing said on here.

He’s been in 2 complete tournaments since being at a P5 program that wasn’t even a tournament team when he took them over. In that time they are now a consistent top 10 team. This is his 3rd tournament. So he hasn’t made an Elite 8 in 2 tries….oh the humanity
He's been at Bama now 4 years. He may very well win with this team. He hasn't been consistently good over a long period yet. As much as you hate Cal he has won 76% of the games he's coached. He's currently at 77% at UK. In his first 6 years he was over 80%. I remember UK firing Tubby and hiring BCG who at the time had similar results as Oats. Oats isn't ready to take UK. The only thing BCG recruited was Acie Law at Texas A&M. Tubby should have never been hired at UK. He didn't show anything at UGA or Tulsa that was worthy of hiring him for the UK job. I'm glad he won in 98, but he had a team handed to him by Pitino and really did nothing after 98.

Tubby didn’t get a few years when it was over. It’s over. Cal deserves everything tubby got. He needs to be made to feel unwelcome just like tubby and donna or it’s a double standard
Tubby should have never been hired in the first place. I think that any prospective UK coach should have at least one Final Four prior to arriving in Lexington. Tubby never did anything spectacular before Kentucky and never did anything after being handed the golden ticket in 98. His 2003 team got manhandled by Marquette and D Wade. If you want to argue Bogans being injured then we could argue injuries for 2014 and 2015. Both of those seasons we had significant injuries in WCS in 2014 and Poythress in 2015. Without one of those injuries we have at least one title. I do believe if we win in 2014 then 2015 doesn't happen like it did.

This is a litany of idiotic cliches.

I dont hate Tubby, i just think he's a below average coach for a Div-1 program. I would think Minnesota, Texas Tech, Memphis and High point fans would agree.
Are you saying Cal is a better game coach than Tubby? The knock on Tubby is he couldn't recruit. but he knew x and o's.

All the wants you waste
All the things you've chased
Then it all crashes down
And you break your crown
And you point your finger, but there's no one around
Just want one thing, just to play the king
But the castle crumbled and you're left with just a name
Where's your crown, King Nothing?
Where's your crown?

The class next year is not "incredible." Every recruiting guru has said it's a down year.
For those like you that are expecting the Fab Five, or the John Wall class coming in next year, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Tubby should have never been hired in the first place. I think that any prospective UK coach should have at least one Final Four prior to arriving in Lexington. Tubby never did anything spectacular before Kentucky and never did anything after being handed the golden ticket in 98. His 2003 team got manhandled by Marquette and D Wade. If you want to argue Bogans being injured then we could argue injuries for 2014 and 2015. Both of those seasons we had significant injuries in WCS in 2014 and Poythress in 2015. Without one of those injuries we have at least one title. I do believe if we win in 2014 then 2015 doesn't happen like it did.
So what are you saying? Cal gets a pass? His results are on par with tubby when you offset losing season for titles and final fours for missed tournament and losing to a 15 seed. Tubby wasn’t the failure cal has been nor the success but his results on average are the same when you factor the totality of everything. Tubby never had the worst season in 100 years or anything close.

I’ve seen this guy defend Cal before but never with this much gusto. These posts and his reasoning make him sound like a raving lunatic. I’m not sure if he’s taking drugs or he stopped taking his drugs. Maybe it’s alcohol?

He's been at Bama now 4 years. He may very well win with this team. He hasn't been consistently good over a long period yet. As much as you hate Cal he has won 76% of the games he's coached. He's currently at 77% at UK. In his first 6 years he was over 80%. I remember UK firing Tubby and hiring BCG who at the time had similar results as Oats. Oats isn't ready to take UK. The only thing BCG recruited was Acie Law at Texas A&M. Tubby should have never been hired at UK. He didn't show anything at UGA or Tulsa that was worthy of hiring him for the UK job. I'm glad he won in 98, but he had a team handed to him by Pitino and really did nothing after 98.
Lol

So what are you saying? Cal gets a pass? His results are on par with tubby when you offset losing season for titles and final fours for missed tournament and losing to a 15 seed. Tubby wasn’t the failure cal has been nor the success but his results on average are the same when you factor the totality of everything. Tubby never had the worst season in 100 years or anything close.
There is one main difference between Tubby and Cal for me. There was never a game with Tubby as coach that I thought the Cats couldn’t win. Same for Cal for awhile. But no longer. Now I wonder if UK is going to win games.

Cal needs players to play the way Cal wants them to play. Cal will never be the kind of coach that adjusts what we do to maximize the players he has. Not going to happen. He's too old to change it. He's not going to zone no matter how obvious the need for it.

If Cal hits on the kind of players that fit his system or that have other worldly talent to transcend his system then we have a great year, if not then ups and downs in fits and starts with mismatched players in a system that doesn't maximize their talent.

We know at this point what we got.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT